Completed Duty Calls

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Duty Calls

Postby Ashar on August 30th, 2014, 8:22 pm

47th of Summer, 514AV
Zhongjie Warrens

It was to the great relief of many citizens of Riverfall that the Council announced and implemented shade for the various squares and parks of the city. Even if the weather continued to be just as dreadful, merely avoiding the intense rays of the sun would do wonders to alleviate much of the heat. Many residents, previously unwilling to venture forth into the sun-filled streets, decided to brave them this day with the promise of shade when they arrived at their various destinations.

However, all that had really been accomplished was replacing the heat of the sun's intense rays with the stuffiness of a crowd captured beneath the canopies set up by the Council.

Ashar did not mind crowds at all for the most part, but at the moment there was nothing he wished more than to escape the warrens in which he found himself trapped in. He took the patrol with the short-sighted intention of taking advantage of the shade, without considering that many other people would have the same idea.

I told you, Jek scolded, also feeling the intense heat and doubly frustrated by the fact there was nothing he could even attempt to do about it. You're not the only one who hates the sun in this weather.

Not helping, Jek, Ashar retorted, doing his best to not let the temperature affect his temper. It was difficult though, and he wasn't the only one having difficulty. A few people at the stalls he noticed were getting rather exasperated, and a few shouts were heard here and there. What was especially tiresome was the knowledge that the bazaar wasn't even that crowded compared to how packed it usually was. In fact, it was relatively sparse, with most people hugging the various stalls and keeping the main pathways free. Even so, it was ungodly hot beneath the canopies, and there wasn't anything Ashar could do until his shift ended in about a bell.

Using his naginata's staff as a walking stick of sorts, Ashar half walked and half hobbled through the Zhongjie Warrens, doing his best to make as few movements as possible and limit the amount of body heat he himself was generating. Because Wysar knew that even more heat was the last thing this city needed.

Perhaps we could buy some refreshments? offered Jek.

Not a bad idea, actually. Except for the fact that whatever we buy will be as warm as the air around us.

Shyke, hadn't thought of that, Jek cursed, a behavior that he avoided like the plague but could be seen peaking through when he was particularly hot-blooded. Like today. Guess we'll just have to suck it up for the next bell or so. How about we take a trip to the Kulk before heading over to the Sasarans?

Good workout, Ashar teased, attempting to remain good-natured. I'll just head home after we're done at the Kulk, wail on the dummy in our apartment for a while. I'm not in the mood to climb the Second Tier twice in the same day.

Good.

Ashar nodded their mutual agreement, scanning his eyes over the crowd that had gathered at the warrens that day. The results of the heat were evident everywhere, as shopkeepers haggled even more than normal, much to the mounting frustration of the customers. Most of them were Akalaks, arguing back and forth with massive gestures. A son stood nervously, getting closer to his dad as he yelled with a jeweler about the price of a particular ring, which Ashar couldn't help but overhear because they were the loudest words in the market.

Ashar, I don't think that's his son.
Last edited by Ashar on September 10th, 2014, 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Duty Calls

Postby Ashar on September 7th, 2014, 5:35 pm

As soon as Jek mentioned that, the Akalak boy - who Ashar had thought was the man's son - suddenly jostled the arguing customer. As soon as the customer stumbled, the boy was helping him up, smiling and apologizing for the disturbance.

Ashar was paying close attention now.

The shopkeeper, who until now had been locked in an uncomfortable exchange with this particularly difficult customer, took the opportunity to massage his forehead and sigh in exasperation. The customer wasn't pleased about being bumped, no surprise, and stopped just short of shoving the kid away. The kid was too happy to oblige, turning quickly and walking off into the warrens, with Ashar closed behind. It was a sort of behavior he'd seen rarely, but recognize nonetheless. What other reason could the boy have?

So young and already he turns to thievery. What in the void could've happened to push him to such an extreme? Jek wondered, concern evident into his voice. Both had miraculously forgotten about the heat.

It doesn't matter why he's doing it, Ashar said, holding his weapon off the ground as quickly covered the space between him and the little Akalak. His free hand clasped strongly over the kid's shoulder, spinning him around with one forceful movement.

"What do you think you're do-"

That's as far as he got before he winced as the kid stamped down hard on his foot, spinning around and leaving the Kavran behind as he sped deeper into the warrens. The little brat must have had a little experience with authority. Grunting, Ashar took off after him, holding his weapon close and with the blade down so as to avoid injuring any bystanders.

Under normal circumstances, the Zhongjie Warrens would prove advantageous to the kid currently running from Ashar. Whereas the tall, nearly fully-grown Akalak would have had to push through a crowd of jostling people to get where he wanted, the kid would be able to slip through gaps much smaller. That was not the case this far into Summer, though, when it seemed a collective within the city decided it would be much easier to do their shopping at night. There were a good many people still out and about, but those that were chose to huddle at the stands to get their business done sooner than idly wander in between. The open space actually served Ashar better, as his much longer legs carried him quicker through the bazaar toward the child thief. Pumping one foot after another, Ashar raised his naginata.

What do you think you're doing? He's just a kid!

I know, calm down. I'm not going to hurt him. Well, at least not with the blade, but he didn't mention that to Jek. Spinning the weapon once slowly to his side, Ashar took the blunt end of the polearm and brought it down on the kid's leg, wood and skin colliding as the boy yelped into a tumble. Resting the bottom of his weapon on the ground, Ashar towered over the child, a bit of an imposing figure.

Ashar...

"I don't know what you took," Ashar said, "but you are to return it immediately. And before you think of trying anything, I'll be taking you back to your victim and he'll be taking a full account of his possessions, and if he finds anything still missing I'll have no qualms encouraging him to take it into the Gideon."

Ashar!

Ignoring his dark brother, the Kavran grabbed the kid by the arm and lifted him to his feet in one movement. The boy looked resentful over having been caught, but it didn't appear like he was going to be trying to run again in the immediate future. He no doubt planned to at some point, but for now Ashar had little resistance as he dragged the little thief back to the jewelry stand.

Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Duty Calls

Postby Ashar on September 7th, 2014, 8:01 pm

When they arrived at the jewelry stand, Ashar was frustrated - though unsurprised - to find that the man from whom the kid had stolen had moved on. He could almost feel the kid's spirits lift, but the Kavran wasn't about to give up that easy.

"Excuse me," said Ashar, addressing the now unoccupied shopkeeper. "This child here stole from your recent customer. Do you know where he went?"

"Customer? Hah," the jeweler replied bitterly. "The bastard didn't end up buying anything at all, even after all that ruckus he made. Probably deserved to get robbed." Although Ashar agreed that did sound like a prick thing to do, he leveled a stare at the shopkeeper, who sighed in response and pointed. "He went that way, shouting something about needing a drink in all this blasted heat. That's something I can agree with, at least."

"Thanks," Ashar nodded, jostling the kid a little as he had been trying to slip out of the Kavran's grasp. Dragging the kid with him, Ashar stalked off stubbornly in the direction that the jeweler had pointed, the heat feeding his irritation.

Don't forget to relax a little, Ashar, Jek told his light brother. We're supposed to prevent disturbances, not cause them. And you're more likely to do the latter if you don't let go of some of this frustration. It was this blasted heat and stuffiness. Jek seriously hoped that Ashar wouldn't do anything confrontational, but with their current mood that might have been too much to hope for.

They found who they were looking for at one of the refreshment stalls around the Zhongjie Warrens. It wasn't too difficult to find him due to the amount of noise he was making. This time it was to do with how warm the drink he had bought was, a torrent of complaints and curses hurled right in the poor shopkeeper's face, who could do nothing but stand there and take it. The customer's excessive hand gestures caused liquid to spill from the cup, causing him to grow even more furious. Ashar had no sympathy for the man, but he had to see this through. Justice didn't turn a blind eye to cerulests, after all, as much as Ashar wanted to do so.

Ashar, perhaps we could... just this once...

No, Ashar replied firmly, marching up to the unknowing victim with the thief in tow. I can't let anything slide. As soon as I let one thing past the law, where do I draw the line? No, I have to at least return what was stolen. That said, he didn't like how the kid seemed scared of the man's violent behavior. Sympathy swelled in the Kavran's heart, but he marched forward anyway.

"Excuse me, sir," Ashar interjected, catching the man as he seethed quietly.

"Eh?" the Akalak grunted as he turned around, looking at the two that had approached him. One, a grown man with a weapon in hand. The other, a small child held firmly by the former. "What do you want?"

Ashar pushed the kid forward a bit. "I'm the Kavran patrolling the Zhongjie warrens right now. This boy had stolen some of your valuables when he stumbled into you earlier. I brought him here to make sure you can take a full stock of what you have and make sure he doesn't slip off with anything."

Eyes wide, the man suddenly dropped his cup as his hands flew to his side, where he opened the pouch he'd been carrying and rummaged around inside. Then, growling, he looked down at the kid and clenched his fists. "Why you little helioc-"

"Sir, calm down," Ashar instructed, doing his best to keep his own temper in check. With a gentle nudge to the kid's shoulder, the child thief dove his hand into his own pocket and reluctantly brought out a handful of gold-rimmed mizas. The man angrily snatched them up and dropped them into his pouch, this time taking advantage of the drawstrings. Instead of growling and prowling off, however, the man grabbed the kids shirt and pulled him closer, out of Ashar's grip.

"You're coming with me to the Gideon, brat," he all but shouted.

Ashar didn't like where this was going, and he didn't even need to hear Jek to know that his dark brother was downright horrified about the prospect of a grown Akalak challenging a child. The Kavran reached a hand out to the kid's shoulder, as if to reassure him somewhat. "Sir, if you would please-"

"Shut up, you!" The man shouted at Ashar, yanking the child from his grip and turning down to the poor kid again. "For thievery, I'm going to grind you into the dust, and once I win-"

That's as far as he got before Ashar grabbed him by the shirt and yanked him forward violently, forcing him to cry out and let go of the boy. The Kavran's eyes were burning.

Be careful, Ashar.

"How about I grind you into the dust for disturbing the peace and assaulting a child?" Ashar asked, his voice low. He was well aware of the eyes on them, though most of them had been watching long before Ashar even made a move. They'd know what was going on. "You got your stuff back, and that's not something a lot of victims of theft can say. You're lucky as it is."

"Get off of me, helioc," the man growled, grabbing onto Ashar's arm. "How about I take you in for assaulting me, vagik?"

"Sure," Ashar answered heatedly, "if you think you can take a Kavran."

That caused the man to falter. The Gideon seemed like a perfectly welcome option when it was some kid who was going to be facing him off, but against a Kavran - the knuckleheads who trained even harder than the average Akalak - his chances did not look as good. The look in Ashar's eyes made it apparent that he had no qualms taking him to the Gideon over the slightest thing. So, rather than bark louder and risk fighting this aggressive Kavran before him, the man just shoved his arm out of the way and stalked away, grumbling little seething curses under his breath.

That's a relief, Jek said, voicing what they were both thinking. It was a great relief that it wouldn't come to any actual fighting, though if this heat continued they might one day have to.

Ashar nodded his agreement. Glad that it was over, he turned to address the kid he'd just pulled from the fire. However, when he looked to where the kid had been, he was gone. All it took was a quick look in both directions to confirm that the kid was long gone. Well, at least he was clever.

I really need a drink.

Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Duty Calls

Postby Ashar on September 7th, 2014, 9:12 pm

21st Bell
Ashar kept his breathing steady as he spun his naginata in slow circles around his body, above his head and to either side of him. The weapon was large and seemingly unwieldy, but in fact it allowed for a measure of grace when attacking if the wielder knew what they were doing. Every now and then the blade would escape its arcing circles and collide with the padding on the practice dummy Ashar had set up in his room, horizontal strikes at the head and vertical strikes on either arm. The metal thunked softly into the padded wood with each attack, the slow repetition helping build Ashar's muscle memory of the spins and strikes.

You did good today, Jek said suddenly as Ashar wailed on the practice dummy, the blade arcing from a lower swing up into the bottom of one of its arms.

Glad you think so, Ashar replied shortly and honestly, focusing for the main part on his training. The twirls and spins might have looked impressive, but in an actual fight Ashar would be moving too slow to be able to utilize any of them to any great degree. Right now, technique was important to start to grasp, if he were to progress any further as a Kavran.

I wish we could have found out what drove that poor kid to steal, though, Jek continued. It's a shame that someone so young has to resort to that.

This time, Ashar didn't respond immediately, instead continuing to hack at the dummy. An overhead spin that slowly connected with the top of the target, another overarm one that sliced down near the middle of its left arm. The blade continued to spin for another chime or two, then, after a while, he set the naginata against the wall and sat back into his chair, breathing deeply in an attempt to calm himself down.

We can't fix all the world's problems, Ashar said finally. Maybe we could have helped that kid out, maybe not. I was willing to try, but he didn't give us that chance. No point in worrying about it now.

Jek sighed. You're right. I just wish things could have turned out differently.

Ashar nodded, slowing his breathing as he recovered from his little workout, his sweat glistening on his purple skin. Even breaths filled and emptied his lungs at a steady rate, relaxing his mind and muscles. I know. Maybe next time if we're lucky. All we can do is our best.

Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Duty Calls

Postby Mayhem1 on November 9th, 2014, 12:11 am

You're an excited PC roaming around a thread.

You're not paying attention that the story's over.

Then...BAM! You're hit with a Grade.

I'm Mayhem, the ever-present Junior ST of Cyphrus. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM! And please, please remove or edit your grading request once you see this. Thank you!

Ashar
XP
  • Observation - 3
  • Running - 1
  • Weapon: Naginata - 2
  • Endurance - 1
  • Rhetoric - 1
LORES
  • Spotting a Thief
  • Defending a Thief

A nice thread. You managed to make catching a thief interesting, and I enjoyed it. :)

With Regards,
- Mayhem
Syliras ★ threads: 0/4
Mayhem1
what the knights are protecting you from

Words: 12697
Joined roleplay: November 2nd, 2014, 4:35 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook