Completed And the Dish Ran Away With the Spoon (Nanami)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

And the Dish Ran Away With the Spoon (Nanami)

Postby Phobius on September 7th, 2014, 7:05 pm

48th of Fall, 514 AV

Phobius reached into the feed bag and sifted through the oat-y, grainy bits until he could get a good handful. Careful not to let any of it spill, he held his hand out over the wooden railing of one of the outer stables and clicked his teeth. And out of the four or so horses that were currently milling about on the inside, all but one of them turned their heads to look at him.

With a bit of mental scolding, the Inartan boy had made it his personal goal to stop by the Unstable Stables, today, for the sole purpose of paying a certain friend a visit. He hadn't been around Mister Raingrass enough to judge whether or not the man liked him, but the owner had seemed relatively pleased when Phobius walked in. They said their helloes, then the man left him a bag of feed and told him that it'd be okay to give Araphos a light snack. Apparently, the Zavian had already had a good breakfast, but Mister Raingrass thought that something small to nibble on would "appease" the creature. Phobius wanted to ask what was meant by that, but the man didn't give him the chance, wandering off to tend to his own business before he could even open his mouth to speak.

Now, many chimes later, the boy felt as though he was beginning to understand.

Araphos hadn't given the boy a single look since he'd come by his stable. At the moment, he was currently standing with his back to him, his tail swishing carelessly about like a broom that was lazily being swept at the ground. Phobius frowned, then clicked his teeth a little louder than before, only to get the same lack of a reaction. He was certain, however, that the Zavian had heard him; one of his ears had twitched.

The horse was simply ignoring him.

"Please don't be mad at me, Ar-Ar," Phobius called to the creature, his voice soft and apologetic. "I'm sorry I don't come see you like I should. I kinda have a job now, but...no, no, that's not an excuse. I'm really sorry."

The boy paused, then, waiting to see if he'd get some sort of response. But the embittered horse kept his back turned and his head still.

The feed still clutched in his hand, Phobius pressed his stomach up against the railing as he leaned over it a bit. "C'mon, buddy! I got you a snack! I bet it tastes really yummy, too. If you come here, you can have it."

No reaction.

"Please, Ar-Ar. I'll make it up to you, I promise. Cross my heart," the boy implored, swiping a finger over his chest just to show how serious he was being.

As if the promise of re-compensation was enough, the horse finally turned around, staring at the boy for a moment before it started to trot over to him. Phobius smiled, relief coming over him in waves as Araphos got close and pressed his nose against his closed fist, where the food as being held. He opened it, then stood and busied himself with stroking the horse's mane as it nibbled at the oats, giggling every time his lips brushed across his skin.

"I dunno if I can walk you around town, but I bet we could go outside and ride around a little," Phobius murmured. "I made a friend that has a horse, too. We could all go riding. Doesn't that sound fun?"

Araphos didn't reply, but the boy pretended that he had, as he often did. "I think so, too."

All of a sudden, something moved out of the corner of his eye, and Phobius whipped his head around to look behind himself. Then his amber eyes widened, and he forced himself to blink, unsure of what he was actually seeing.

His shadow...was moving? The boy stared down at it, wondering if the movement he'd seen was from some sort of trick of the light. Then it moved, again, and waved at him...actually waved. Phobius froze, mentally browsing through what knowledge he had about shadows and how they worked, and was quick to realize that the flat silhouettes only moved when people moved. At least, that's how it was supposed to go. He'd been still this entire time, but his shadow had gone ahead and waved at him.

I'm...I'm seeing things. Am I? Unless...

Unless it was some sort of trick.

At that moment, Phobius' shadow seemed to decide to disconnect itself from its host, pulling its feet away from his as it went sprinting off towards the stable's entrance, its solid black form flickering across the wooden railings.

Araphos let out a sort of distressed chuff, and Phobius pulled his outstretched hand away from him, wringing the remaining out bits out of it as he gave the horse a pat and a few calming words.

"I'll be back, okay?" the boy said, suddenly anxious. Loathe as he was to leave the stables so soon, he took off running, intent on chasing his shadow down. Just standing back and letting it disappear forever felt...wrong, somehow.

"Hey!" he shouted, unconcerned with whether or not it could hear him. "Where are you going?! Come back!"

"This is speech in Nari."

This is thought.

Last edited by Phobius on January 15th, 2015, 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Note: Unless otherwise is stated, Phobius is almost always wearing a blue-beaded bracelet that alters illusions around him based on his mood. That can include player-made illusions. c:
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Words: 283495
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 12:08 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nanami on September 11th, 2014, 3:46 am

Something was wrong that day, but for the life of her, Nanami couldn't pinpoint what. Her whiskers twitched at the end of her muzzle and her ears were up and rotating like an anxious deer as she trotted up the wide dirt path to the Unstable Stables. The sun was high and the wind light, bringing the smell of horse sweat and sweet oats to her, but no relief from the heat. Indeed it would take a heavy snowstorm and a handful of snowberries to leech the heat from under her fur.  

Still perturbed by this strange sense of wrongness thats been following her, she sits down with a huff and reaches up with her back leg to scratch that sweet spot behind her ear. Her neck curves back to meet the dusty black claws and her eyes slit with a relieving pleasure. But something dark flickers across the ground in front of her eyes, and she stops. Paused absurdly with her leg behind her head she stars dumbfounded at something quite extraordinary.

Her shadow sits on the ground at her feet like its always done. She recognizes its bushy hair, straight nose and thick thighs as something she has seen all her life. But it is still somehow the wrong one; because while she is a dog, this shadow is still stubbornly human. 

They stare at each other for a long second (or she stares at it she would be quick to correct, though she still isn't sure if that was the case). Then it moves, quite independently. It brings its hands up behind its head to mime twitching, pointed dog ears. Not only if her shadow misbehaving, its making fun of her too.

This proved to much for the Kelvic's fraying nerves. She leapt to her feet and started on an apocalyptic barking fit, standing over the shadow like she had it pinned. But the shadows phantom shoulders shook as if to laugh, and the thing slipped out from under her like a dark little fish and took off towards the paddocks. Pursued by the Zypherians’ deep, booming bark and the beast herself.

When she rounded the corner of the nearby long stable, she sees that its not only her shadow thats taken a flight of freedom. A seemingly male shadow with a long coat and cow-licked hair was nodding earnestly while the Nanami-shadow spoke into his ear through her cupped fingers. The real Nanami pounced on her prey the way no dog her size should pounce, and almost immediately great gouts of dirt fly from under her legs as she tried to dig the shadows out with her raked forepaws.
Nanami
Alive and well.

Words: 42043
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2014, 4:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Phobius on September 12th, 2014, 2:07 am

"Wait...!!"

Phobius tore after his fleeing shadow as fast as his legs would allow, huffing along the way as his already-unkempt hair flew about his face, his katinu flying up behind him. But the living silhouette didn't seem to hear his calls, nor did it care, far too busy enjoying its new-found freedom.

It whirled around the corner of one of the stables, and the boy wasn't too far behind it. So focused was he on running, however, that he didn't realize that his shadow had stopped before he ran right by it, having turned his head at the right moment. Phobius brought himself to a clumsy halt and turned around.

Now there were two of them. His own seemed to have found a friend, and the two looked as though they were busy swapping secrets with one another, exchanging nods and silent whispers. Phobius could do nothing else but stand and watch the scene, at the moment, lost as to just what it was he was supposed to do, if anything. The boy had never been in such a situation, before; he and his shadow had been together for as long as he could remember, and as far as Phobius was concerned, he hadn't given the shadowy copy of himself any reason to run away. He'd never talked to it much, nor did it ever really seem to talk to him, but they went everywhere together. Thinking on it, now, he supposed that a shadow served as a sort of friend...a non-speaking, non-eating, non-living friend that was always there for you.

I bet it's just another one of the city's tricks, Phobius mused to himself. A lot of weird things have been happening, lately...hopefully this won't end up being something bad.

And just how could it be bad? Phobius wasn't sure, and his brain seemed to suddenly set itself on making an answer for that. Then, all of a sudden, a large dog showed up and started to attack the ground directly above one of the chatting shadows. The boy blinked at the creature, surprised. Had its shadow left it, too...? Was that why it was digging so much? Or maybe it'd just gotten spooked and was trying to fight them...besides, if it was a dog, it'd have a dog-shaped shadow, wouldn't it? The one his shadow was talking to looked kind of like the shadow of a lady.

Either way, it didn't look like the digging would do anything. Phobius' shadow seemed tickled by the attempt, going so far as to do a sort-of mocking dance at the dog before it turned to its new companion and pointed in some random direction. The other seemed to agree, and then the two were running off.

"Not again," Phobius muttered out loud. He fidgeted around a little where he stood, ready to run again but unsure if that was what he was supposed to do, now. "Did you lose your shadow too, doggy?" he said, looking over at the dog. Then he summoned up a smile, and crouched down a little, extending a pale hand towards it. Sure, his shadow was getting pretty far from him, but he couldn't see the harm in sparing a moment to pet the dog. If it wanted to be petted, that was.

But Phobius would try, anyway. He was used to having luck when it came to befriending animals.

"C'mere, doggy-doggy. I won't hurt you. I just wanna say hi," Phobius said, his tone soft as he called to it. "We can go and find our shadows, together. That sounds more easy than going alone. Don't you think?"

Of course he knew that the dog wouldn't respond. Dogs couldn't talk. Still, he figured talking to it would get it to like him a little. If not, then...well, he'd keep trying.

This is thought.

Last edited by Phobius on January 15th, 2015, 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Note: Unless otherwise is stated, Phobius is almost always wearing a blue-beaded bracelet that alters illusions around him based on his mood. That can include player-made illusions. c:
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nanami on September 17th, 2014, 12:47 am

The digging seemed to accomplish nothing. The male-shaped apparition even mimed a song and dance at her expense. Little git! She'd rattle him around like a castinette if she could find a way to get at him.

Then- having reached some secret, shadowy decision, the two dark ripples were off. They flickered between trees and posts, in and out of sight and existence as they ran. It was only then that Nanami realized how oddly naked she felt without a shadow. That dark profile of herself was just as much herself as her arms and legs.

"Not again.”

The Kelvic's ears twitched and she spied a boy looking after the rapidly disappearing shadows with a thoughtful look on his face. She recognized him instantly as the owner of the shadow with the shallow sense of humour. They had the same rough-about hair, though his was much more red. Fire red. Blood red. She’s never seen anything so red. 

"Did you lose your shadow too, doggy?" he asked, crouching and smiling at her in a decidedly friendly way. He extended his hand in a familiar gesture- the human way of acquainting themselves with strange dogs. "C'mere, doggy-doggy. I wont hurt you. I just wanna say hi." Trotting over, she sniffed his hand obligingly, taking in the sweet smell of horse skin and parchment thats woven into his palms. Then, in her own gesture of solidarity, she sticks out her long spotted tongue and drags it up his face from chin to hairline. Such is the relationship between men and dogs.

She decided almost immediately that she likes this strange boy, despite his annoying shadow. If their shadows had taken such a liking to each other, surely the more solid counterparts could do the same. When he says they should find their shadows together, she gives a muffled “moof” of agreement.

Introduction ritual complete, the Kelvic turned and bounded after the escaping shadows with her new human sidekick. The dark little traitors pass over the cluttered ground without damaging a single blade of grass. And though at first she tries to drag their scent out of the air- she is quickly embarrassed when she remembers that they have no scent. It will have to be eyes then. At this the human is at an advantage, being higher off the ground. But she is still faster, and races to the end of the Stable’s land and howls until the human catches up- and then runs off again.

To her the shock and annoyance of the escaped shadows has turned into a delightful game of chase. The shadows wouldn't disappear completely, even though it would be so easy for them. They don’t turn corners until she sees them, and they will hide in the shadows of trees and pot plants only to jump out and scare the bejeezus out of their fleshy owners.

Indeed, Nanami had gotten so used to the game that when the two shadows disappeared hand-in-hand into an old, grand and weathered house she doesn’t hesitate but plunges in after them; accidentally shouldering past a stately man who was opening the door to let himself out. If she could read, she might have hesitated to read and question the sign hanging above the door that says, in bold letters, “Scholarly Abode of Intellectual Pursuits”.
Nanami
Alive and well.

Character sheet

Postby Phobius on September 18th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Now that Phobius could really look at the dog, he noticed how thick its fur was. It seemed like it was meant to romp around in snowy places, and even had some patches on its pelt of the same color, along with its big plume of a tail. For a moment, the boy wondered if the dog was at all bothered by its coat; after all, the weather was reasonably warm, this evening, and it didn't really get chilly or anything until the sky was full of stars and the moon had taken the sun's place. Phobius suddenly found himself worrying over the creature.

A moment later, to his joyous surprise, the dog wandered over and sniffed at his hand. Then it dove forward a little and licked his face; the boy let out a squeal of laughter, pausing to rub some of the doggy-slobber off of himself with his katinu before he smiled and gave it a few gentle pats on the head. "Good doggy."

Phobius then got to his feet. If they wanted any hope of catching their fleeing silhouettes, it'd probably be a good idea to start after them, now. The boy wasn't sure how easy it'd be to find them again if they got too much of a head-start, and he doubted that the dog would be able to snuff them out. Shadows didn't have smells. ...did they?

...what would a shadow even smell like...?

As the boy stood and wondered, his canine-companion decided to go ahead and run ahead of him, each of its four legs pumping full of boundless energy. Phobius was put off for a few ticks, then went sprinting after the creature, a sudden rush of adrenaline chipping away at the slight aching in his limbs that he'd felt a while ago, having already ran a good distance.

They tore after the shadowy pair, with the dog keeping the lead while Phobius made sure that he didn't fall too far behind it, weaving around corners and dashing around trees. And as annoying as it was, the boy began to have fun with it, after a while; it almost seemed like they were playing a game, like tag-you're-it. His shadow certainly seemed to be taking it that way, and Phobius couldn't help but wonder if the wispy creature had grown tired of having to follow him around. He'd never thought that shadows could have feelings, but they weren't supposed to move, either, and yet this was happening.

When the shadows vanished into a huge, unfamiliar building, Phobius almost slowed himself down. It was a pretty old-looking thing, but that didn't necessarily mean that it was empty. What if a family lived inside? The boy hesitated for a moment, still running albeit at a much slower pace. He didn't want to trespass inside someone else's house...that'd be rude, and then he'd probably get yelled at...

But the dog didn't seem to think twice, slipping right passed an old bearded man who'd just been opening the door. Frowning, Phobius dove forward and went after it. "Doggy, no! There are people in there! Come back!"

The old man opened his mouth to say something, looking flustered, but Phobius ran by him before a single word could leave his mouth, and he shuffled back towards the door.

Undoubtedly sneering, now, the silhouettes went running through what looked like a big living room, their shapes skimming across couches, coffee tables, scrolls, and the laps of multiple startled, flinching men. Phobius managed to give each of them an apologetic look before he ducked around the couches, managing to catch snippets of their voices as he ran into a connecting room.

"What in the name of—"

"Did you see that? It crawled right across m'legs!"

"There's a mutt in here! We'll all be coated in fleas!"

And then an argument seemed to have started up, with each of the old men trying to talk over one another as they theorized and scolded and generally yelled about the unwelcome guests under their roof.

This is thought.

Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nanami on September 26th, 2014, 5:12 am

The Kelvic had never seen so many hoary old men in her life. At least a dozen leapt to their feet as the massive dog and the skinny red-head boy barrelled rudely through. They seem to all be seated in a huge converted living room decked floor to celling with pomposity. Rich threadbare rugs covered the bare wooden floor, heavy drapes were drawn over every window, and books, papers and maps took up all the space between.

Confused and a bit startled, Nanami's first instinct was to stop and judge her surroundings. But when you are upwards of two hundred pounds and at a run that a human couldn't top, stopping is not as easy as it sounds. Crystal tumblers of whiskey were knocked out of hands and off of tables as the dog tried to put on the brakes. The shadows flickered across legs and tables and books like devilish apparitions, and the men cried out in shock. Then the men cried out in alarm as the dog skidded into a bookshelf, knocking loose a number of heavy volumes upon the assembled crowd of eggheads. The jumbled Kelvic saw a flash of red as the boy ducked behind a couch, and, thinking that's a great idea, she swiftly followed. But not as a dog. In the confusion there was an even more confusing flicker of light as the dog was replaced with a pale woman with bushy black hair and creepy eyes. In the ensuing chaos she slipped away unnoticed.

The boy had disappeared into a cleverly hidden adjoining room concealed along the back of a bookcase. Nanami carefully palmed the door shut and turned to look around her. They seemed to be in a well stocked pantry ripe with the smell of cheese and fresh bread. Dominating the far wall was a stock of what must be very pricy wines and hard liquor. Idly she wondered where the shadows had gone off to.

She takes this all in before she she saw the wide eyes of her comrade in arms. Thinking he might freak out at being locked in a room with a wild-looking naked woman he's never seen before, she makes frantic shushing motions with her hands and whisperd harshly. 

"Wait! Wait, its me! My name is Nana, but I believe you call me Doggy" she winked at him. "Shush, or they're going to find us."

At that moment the opening mechanism of the door gives an ominous rattle. She can hear expensive leather shoes clopping around on the other side of the wall and loud voices raised in argument. The men must be searching for the intruders.

"Oh frost, hide!"
Nanami
Alive and well.

Character sheet

Postby Phobius on September 26th, 2014, 6:31 am

Things were starting to get messy.

Phobius darted around a coffee table and finally seemed able to catch up to his canine friend, but within ticks the dog seemed to go spiraling into a book case, sending thick-looking stacks onto the ground and the approaching, still-bickering men. A few went straight for the books, one even tripping over his own feet as he went scrambling for a particularly large one, but the others seemed conflicted, their voices rising in irritation as they tried to decide on what needed to be done. In the mass of confusion, Phobius took the chance to go and dive behind a nearby couch, getting onto his hands and knees as he did so. With luck, the dog would notice him and follow suit; maybe, just maybe, they'd be able to sneak back outside while the men were busy arguing. It would take some risky navigating around the room, but...well, there wasn't much else that they could do.

The Inartan boy wasn't sure what sort of punishment he'd be put through, if any, for bursting into the men's home. He was ashamed to admit that he hadn't thought much of it, a moment ago, too focused on his fleeing friend and their further-fleeing shadows to really think about what he was doing and where it was taking him. Not only was he a trespasser, now, but he'd startled the men and had knocked a lot of their things over. It was already obvious enough in their voices how angry they were, and the fact that a majority of those feelings were being directed towards him only made him feel worse.

Phobius didn't want to be scolded. And he didn't want the doggy to be scolded, either. It seemed as though the best thing for them to do was sneak out, then...however that was supposed to work.

Or maybe...maybe we can hide, the boy mused to himself, quiet as he pressed his back up against the couch and listened to the men shuffle about. If there's a room somewhere nearby, we can go in it and...and stay there until they go looking, somewhere else...then we run. That would work, wouldn't it? As long as they don't see us...

He wouldn't really call it a plan, but it was better than nothing. Crawling, now, Phobius raised his head a little and scanned the area for any doors or hallways. Then he spotted what looked like a doorknob next to one of the bookcases. Who would put a door behind a bookcase? Or, better yet, why move a bookcase in front of a door?

Then again, the door didn't seem to be entirely hidden away...he figured that he'd be able to open it. Unless it was locked.

Hoping for the best, Phobius threw the bickering men a final look, and waited until he was sure that they were looking in the opposite direction. Then he crawled as quickly as he could over to the door, getting onto his feet once he'd gotten a hand over the doorknob and had turned it a few times. Thankfully it opened, and the boy went through, leaving it ajar a little so that the dog would be able to come in after him. They needed to stay together.

The smell of bread quickly greeted his nose, and Phobius pushed his fear and anxiety to the side for a tick or two as he looked around the little room. There were shelves everywhere, all holding loaves of tasty-looking bread, and other food-bundles wrapped in colored paper. Wow...they sure have a lot of food. But why's it all stuffed in a room that they keep hidden? Won't it go bad if they keep it in here too long...?

All of a sudden, there was a soft click that came from the door. Phobius turned around, fully expecting to see his dog friend standing a few feet away.

What he saw instead, however, was a naked black-haired woman.

It was quite possible that, had the boy had a much weaker heart, he might have fainted at that moment. And he didn't, but every single thought that had occupied his brain a mere tick earlier seemed to suddenly vanish. Phobius' eyes went as wide and as round as moons and, shocked as he was, he couldn't seem to do much else but stare. A short moment passed, and then the boy let out a frightened yelp before smacking his hands over his eyes, his cheeks apparently trying to compete with the color of his hair.

Where had the doggy gone? Where had this woman come from? Why wasn't she wearing any clothes?!

It sounded like she was talking to him, now, whispering rushed words, but the boy didn't seem to be able to hear her, too busy pressing his palms into his eyes as he vigorously shook his head at her, refusing to open them ever again. Embarrassment was a rare emotion for Phobius, but now...now it was assaulting him. And he wasn't really sure how to deal with it or what he was supposed to do, in general. Really, though, what could he do? There was a naked woman standing in the same room as him!

M-maybe she'll go away, soon. M-m-maybe...

"Oh frost, hide!"

The words made Phobius jump, despite how relatively quiet they were spoken. Momentarily forgetting the strange woman's nakedness, the boy tucked himself away into the nearest corner he could find, sliding halfway behind a large barrel and ducking down as much as he could.

The arguing noises grew louder, and the sounds of footsteps grew closer. The men were near the door, or at least sounded as though they were, and for a moment Phobius feared that they'd come in. Ticks passed, however, and the sounds began to fade as the men wandered away, presumably deciding to go looking in other parts of the building for the intruders.

So they were safe. Phew...

Phobius let out a relieved sigh. Then he put his hands right back over his eyes; he hadn't seen where the woman had gone to hide, but he knew that she was around, somewhere.

"M-m-miss?" the Inartan boy stuttered as he all but covered up his entire face, still not looking at her. "Have you s-seen a doggy around here? I came in with one, but I d-don't...don't know where he went. ...And w-why are your clothes gone...?"

This is thought.

Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nanami on October 1st, 2014, 7:50 pm

Nanami could almost feel the heat radiating off the boy as blood rushed to his face. She was aware of the Human's strange fear of skin, since she lived much of her life in a community home in Avanthal with many people. But Vantha she lived with were also aware of (and used to) Kelvic's. So her kind got a free pass on this taboo and not much fuss was given over it.

But this boy was definitely making a fuss.

The sounds outside the door grew, and the red-headed boy dived behind some convenient barrels. Nanami quickly tucked herself underneath one of the hip-high shelves. She held her breath as the door rattled, imagining the kind of shyke she could find herself in if caught. But as the seconds ticked by the door didn't open, and the voices moved away. The Kelvic let out a grateful breath.

The boy seemed to feel the danger had passed too. As Nanami gingerly moved out of her hiding place, he stuttered out a question about where the "doggy" went. And why wasn't she dressed? He sounded so distressed that her heart melted a little in her chest. 

It didn’t cross her mind that he might not have heard her the first time. The fact that he was so flustered and asking the questions she just tried to answer made her think that he might be dim-witted or slow. Well, his body was perfect working order at least. He was skinny but had the lung power to run full-tilt for half a bell, and the legs to carry him. She blew out her cheeks in exasperation as she considered her answer.

"No, I didn't see a doggy around here" she lied wearily, speaking rather slow so she wouldn't trip over her own heavy accent. "He was probably chased off by those men. And I... ah, must have forgotten to dress this morning", she finished lamely.

The smell of food was making her drool, and she had to wipe her mouth with the back of her hand. It would be such a shame to go hungry while all this food was just an arms length away. They have been running hard after all. And there would probably be more running ahead if they were going to try and get out without being caught and punished by scholars. 

The Kelvic followed her nose to one of the high wooden shelves, and picked out the most pungent, heavy bread she could find. She ripped the loaf in half, releasing a scent of olives, parmesan and sourdough that even a human nose could pick up. She threw half to the boy. 

"Eat up sweetie. Hey, can I borrow your coat? Then you won’t have to hide behind your hands." she said, chewing thoughtfully on her bread as she looked him over. She was obviously older than him, but his lithe frame had her thinking he was younger than he really was. She'd guess he was a year old, as a dog would put it. On the cusp of maturity. "My name is Nana", she repeated, using her nickname used by children. "Whats yours?"
Nanami
Alive and well.

Character sheet

Postby Phobius on October 1st, 2014, 10:08 pm

The doggy was gone...?

Phobius frowned beneath the shielding of his arms and hands. He'd hoped that the creature would've stayed with him for a while longer; there were plenty of fun things to do in the illusion-swathed city, and the boy doubted that'd he be able to drag Araphos around with him, everywhere. Public places seemed to like small animals more than they did big ones. Either the annoyed old men had managed to chase the dog away, or he'd had things that he needed to do. Important...dog-things.

Maybe he'd even gone back to his owner. The possibility lessened the boy's sadness, if only by a little. As much as he liked the creature, he wouldn't have wanted to make someone else worried or sad by keeping him around. The doggy would be missed.

I didn't even get to give him a name...

Suddenly there were shuffling noises, and Phobius raised his head a little, his palms still held securely over his eyes. The woman was moving around. He wondered what she was doing but didn't dare to uncover his face, content with sitting cross-legged on the ground and merely listening to things.

She'd said that she'd forgotten to put clothes on, this morning. A funny explanation, but Phobius found that he could sort-of understand it. Sort-of. During mornings when he'd literally roll out of his bed, half-awake and disoriented, the boy never really could get himself dressed the right way. Fortunately, he always woke himself up before he could make it out the door, and would head back into his room to turn his shirt outside-in or find a missing sock that he needed.

Going out completely naked, though...Phobius intensely hoped that he'd never make such an embarrassing mistake.

And yet, the woman didn't sound as though she cared much. Maybe she was used to forgetting her clothes.

Something hit his chest, at that moment, making Phobius start. The smell that wafted from it told him what it was right away, but the boy wanted to take a look at it just to be sure. Temporarily forgetting about the woman, he pulled his hands away from his eyes.

Bread. Tasty-looking bread, too. Phobius stared at it, quietly wondering how long it'd been since he'd eaten any food. As if trying to remind him, his stomach made a desperate gurgling noise, and the boy scowled a little at it, willing it to be quiet.

Right...they were in a room that was full of food. And the woman was giving him some. That was awfully nice of her, but...wasn't it stealing if he ate it...?

"Thank you," Phobius said, still staring down at the bread. "But...won't we get in trouble for eating it? It's not our food..."

Wait. She'd asked him for his coat. Right. Murmuring an apology, the boy wriggled himself out of his katinu and handed it over to her once it was off, his hands immediately going up to his neck to re-adjust his scarf, and he focused his attention on one of his knees as she covered herself up. His cheeks were still tinged with pink, but it was more out of slight shame, now, than anything. She seemed like she was a very nice person, with a nice-sounding voice, and he felt bad that he couldn't make himself look at her.

Once she finished, Phobius hesitantly lifted his eyes away from the floor, then blinked at her. The katinu fit her pretty well; better yet, he could look at her, now.

Nana...? He echoed in his mind, and smiled a little at the name.

"I'm Phobius," he said, introducing himself. He then glanced down at the bread, obviously wanting to eat it but still unsure as to whether he should or not. "How come you're in here?" the boy continued, bringing his eyes back up to hers. "Are you chasing your shadow, too...? I ran in here with a doggy, because we were trying to chase our shadows down...weird, huh? Anyway, we didn't know it was someone's house at first, but when we did it was too late and...well, yeah. Now I'm probably in trouble. The men are gone, but when they come back..."

Unable to help himself, Phobius shifted a bit nervously in his spot. Trouble was never good. And he tried to avoid it as much as he could, but it seemed as though there were just days when it'd hunt him down.

This is thought.

Last edited by Phobius on January 15th, 2015, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nanami on October 4th, 2014, 8:02 pm

“Food belongs to the hungry”, Nanami explained around mouthfuls of bread, as the boy struggled out of his coat. “If these men were hungry, they would have eaten it. Since they haven’t, its ours.”

Eventually he handed his coat to her, and she took it gratefully. It’s warm, and smells like the boy. She fits her arms in and buttons it all the way up. It’s tight across her chest and shoulders, but it fits. More importantly, she can now walk into the street without being too conspicuous.

She finished off her last bite of bread and felt all the better for it. Then she tapped his knee with the knuckle of her foot and motions to the bread, indicating that he should eat too. “Phobius? Thats a nice name”, she smiled, brushing crumbs from her lip. “You know what? I’m here for my shadow too. I bet their both in here lurking around”, she scowled; stupid, misbehaving shadows that they were. “But don’t worry, you’re only in trouble if you get caught, and I wont let these men catch you.”

He really was like a child: nervous, shy and a little bit insecure. Uninhibited, she swooped down and gave him a hug, kissing the top of his violently red hair with a soft laugh. Underneath her arms she could feel something stiff and leather creak. Well used to straps of a leather harness on her body, she was not alarmed but vaguely surprised. Was he wearing a collar?

“God, your cute”, she said, releasing him. “Lets get out of this cupboard and find our shadows.”
Nanami
Alive and well.

Character sheet

Next