PM to join The Falcon and The Flame's Journey Begins!

A long, long journey!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

The Falcon and The Flame's Journey Begins!

Postby Seran on September 12th, 2014, 10:25 pm

1st of Autumn, 514 AV, 9th Bell

Seran
stood at the gates to Zeltiva, or more accurately the gates from Zeltiva. A horrible feeling of unreadiness had come over him. Despite the fact that Sol was loaded up with all his supplies and he himself had more than a few bags slung over his shoulder, he felt that something still was missing. The leader of the caravan that Seran had spoken to earlier last season had told him that they would leave the first, and that they would take the usual departure through the mountains. Two things in particular troubled the Kelvic, firstly that there was no sign of the caravan and secondly he was concerned with the price. The leader had told him that for transport to the midway point of Kenash, it would be seventy Gold Mizas. Considering that his ultimate goal was to get to Wind Reach, it troubled Seran that he couldn't even afford to go halfway.

Frantic fingers thumbed through his pouch of coins once more counting.
Shyke, only fifty-five. His financial dilemma had arisen from his living expenses, meagre as they were. And yes, maybe he'd had a mug of ale here or there but it had shocked the man how expensive simply existing was. His problem lay in that he was fifteen Mizas short of the price and he desperately wanted to go. Chimes slowly passed and Seran sighed and lay back, his eyes half-closed. "Now? After all my efforts I run out of money now? Shyke." Through his hazed vision, he looked at the silhouette of the Zastoska Mountains looming overhead. No way could I fly over those mountains. No way...

Half a Bell later...

The smacking noise of a piece of dried meat being chewed angrily filled the air. His damned stomach had failed him! Seran heard yet another grumble from his belly and he picked out another piece of meat. Of course, he had tried to fly over the mountains and of course, sheer hunger had seized him and he'd nearly killed himself. "Not even halfway! Petch it all!" Seran supposed, that the bright side to all this was that he could make out the caravan coming down towards the city. If only there wasn't the bleak truth in that he would probably remain stuck in Zeltiva forever. Stuck in a place where all family had left him to live alone. Stuck, without any foreseeable future. Ah but yes, there does remain one person to come back to, he thought rather sardonically. Black. The thief had enlisted him as an informant, but then Seran supposed she would have little use for an informant who had for the past season mostly hid in the mountains like a recluse.

Hid? Or was left? Seran still remembered the end of Spring when his father had taken him on a hike up the mountain and talked of Wind Reach and their eagles. How he often wondered what it would be like to ride one. That was the last day that Seran saw him and he never heard hide nor hair of his old man since. Enough contemplation, he thought to himself. You'll make yourself sick! Meanwhile, the caravan drew closer.
Seran
Only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight.

Words: 38664
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2014, 4:18 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cosmo Winterflame on September 13th, 2014, 12:39 am

Cosmo had no idea how he'd gotten to this side of Zeltiva. He had been looking for a bar that served seaweed sauce with the fish, and asked three people, three petching people, and somehow got near the gates of Zeltiva, far from the calm, familiar docks.

He stopped at a shop on the street and knocked on the sandy counter. The keep, an old man who reeked of congealed fat drippings, turned from his grill.

"Who tha petch are you, mate?"

"I'm, er... Cosmo. I need to know how to get back to..." He looked away.

"Where, mate? Ain't got all day."

"The... the docks, sir."

The serene silence was broken by the keep's barking laughter. Cosmo turned a shade of red. He was ashamed that he had lived in Zeltiva his whole life and had no idea how to get from the gate to the docks.

"Never mind, sir." Cosmo had half a mind to Hypnotize into directing him, but he wasn't that competent at Hypnotism.

He turned and walked away. The hot sun beated down on him hard. He was thirsty, hungry, and didn't like how close to The Wildlands he was.

Then, he saw him. Them, really.

A man, more of a boy his own age, and a large, dun-hued horse at the gates immediately to the right. The horse seemed to be filled with belongings in its saddlebags.

Maybe even water...

For some reason, Cosmo was... drawn to him. Maybe because of the dried meat he was shovelling into his mouth, maybe because of something beyond comprehension.

Ignoring all common sense, Cosmo walked toward the man, fixing the collar of his shirt.

"Sir... 'scuse me, sir? Could I, er... have some?"
Last edited by Cosmo Winterflame on September 13th, 2014, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
W I N T E R F L A M E
Cosmo Winterflame
You Don't Really Know Me, Do You?

Words: 3481
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2014, 5:40 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Seran on September 13th, 2014, 4:17 am

Seran was so preoccupied with his predicament that he almost missed the question. It came from off to his side nearer to Zeltiva than the wilds. "Sir... 'scuse me, sir? Could I, er... have some?" He flinched and turned to see a sprightly lad his own age who bore a ravenous expression. It took a moment for Seran to reach up to his mouth, touch the strip of meat hanging from his mouth and make the connection. "Some food?" Before he could stop himself he blurted out, "Do you have any money?" You forget yourself, Seran's father echoed in his head.

The Kelvic blinked and then he apologized,
"I'm sorry, here take two and have some water as well." He offered up two strips of meat for the boy to take as well as a spare canteen of water. While he watched the boy he remarked that he seemed attractive somehow. It wasn't a romantic attraction, though the lad was certainly fairly handsome. Seran felt the oddest and yet somehow familiar pressure in his chest. He began to think he was going insane but the only thought he could coherently process was a great desire to stay near to this stranger. It baffled him utterly. He tried to shake off the feeling but it had stuck.

Taking a raspy breath, Seran quaffed down some water from his own waterskin and regarded the boy in a new light.
"Say, I don't suppose you'd like to go with me? To Wind Reach? My caravan is actually..." He trailed off when he glanced back down the trail. "Going to be here any second. Uh, I'm dreadfully sorry to ask this of you but could you spare me any money? I had contacted this caravan but I uh, ran into some unexpected issues." He looked back to the boy and shook his coin purse abashedly. "Saving money is like trying to keep water in a cup full of holes!" Seran finally urged himself to shut up but now his singular sensation was that of heady ecstasy. He put it down to simple travelling jitters and hoped that this potential companion could help him get over them.
Seran

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cosmo Winterflame on September 13th, 2014, 4:05 pm

"Oh dear Leth, thank you!"

Cosmo grabbed the strips and waterskin a little more eagerly than he meant, but he didn't care. He chewed the jerky slowly until it was mush in his mouth, and washed it down with the warm water. He handed it back to the boy, who'd just said something, but Cosmo could've been in Avanthal when he said it.

"Do you have any money?" That's what the boy asked him.

"Um... i have about forty gold mizas on me, but..." He didn't finish before the feeling came back. A feeling of intense... yearning. He wasn't pulled to the boy sexually, no no, but... it was like Cosmo...

Like he REALLY wanted to be his friend.

Then the boy, possibly just as flustered as Cosmo, spoke once more. He first asked if Cosmo would like to accompany him to Wind Reach, then if he'd spare some mizas, then an analogy about water in a cup with holes in it.

The offer was tempting, frightfully tempting, but...

But what? he asked himself. Why not? He was adventurous and had never been to Wind Reach. And he REALLY wanted to go with the boy.

"Sure. I'll, uh, go with you. But you sure seemed eager. You haven't even told me your name. I'm Cosmo. But, before we go, could I, uh, go to the general store real quick, just for some essentials?"
W I N T E R F L A M E
Cosmo Winterflame
You Don't Really Know Me, Do You?

Words: 3481
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2014, 5:40 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Seran on September 17th, 2014, 12:50 am

Seran couldn't explain the leaping sensation in his chest when Cosmo agreed to join him. The falcon nodded hastily, "Absolutely, go ahead. Just be back quickly. I'm Seran by the way!" A sizzling sensation rushed up his spine and Seran shivered. "That was weird." He muttered, and watched the boy run off. He found himself taking a step as though to follow, but he snapped himself back to the present when he heard the sound of hooves on cobbles.

The hooves on cobbles clattered to a stop, and next came the sound of boots on stone.
"Daniel, right?" Seran asked, turning to meet the leader of the caravan. "Dani, actually." Came the curt response of a fierce woman with reddish hair, her expression as fiery as her long locks. "Oh, sorry about that. Nice to make your acquaintance...Dani." The poor Kelvic thought he might burst into ashes under the heat of her gaze, and like most people she towered over him. "Where's my money!" She half-yelled, clearly annoyed by Seran already. From what Seran had gathered, the journey was to last for a while and he had hoped his first impression wouldn't be this sour. "Sorry to trouble you, he'll be back in just a minute." Dani's lip curled in annoyance and she growled threateningly. "We don't take slaves as payment!" "No no! What I mean to say is that me and my companion are splitting the bill." Dani tapped her foot, looked him over and generally made him sweat for a couple chimes and finally sighed. "I guess we'll give the horses a break."

Seran watched her go back behind the caravan to do he didn't know what, and finally decompressed into a ball of mush. That woman scares the shyke out of me. What happened to the carefree lifestyle I've heard so much about? Hmm, maybe that guy wasn't exactly a contractor... Seran recalled his meeting with the fellow several days past and his helpful answers as to how long it would take, how much it would cost and then he had simply given him the time of its arrival and had disappeared. It was most perplexing, but Seran's concerns lay elsewhere for the time being. He thought he saw the outline of Cosmo coming back, and slowly collected his mushy self back together and began to count his coins again. With this one, he thought of Dani, it might just save my damn life!
Seran

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook