Closed [Kelp Bar] Things That Light the Skies

With an evening finally to herself - Altaira seeks to learn what in Dira's name goes on in The Kelp Bar. (Harrier)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Kelp Bar] Things That Light the Skies

Postby Altaira Readva on December 5th, 2014, 8:03 am

Common | Vani | Others | 7th Winter, 514AV
She pulled at her clothes and tightened the bindings of her shoes.

Altaira had heard story and tale again of the so called 'Kelp Bar.' Men and women and sailor alike with their drunken slurs and breath of salt and ale. The case was almost the same each time, Altaira's duties unchanging to the point where she was near prepared for each evening with her teas and tonics for the need to arise. Someone said something and then got hit. Then they tried to hit back and things got bloody - she needed to prepare teas to curb the pain and ease the symptons of a common hangover, and salves to clean and cover cuts and gashes. It's been over a season since she'd allowed herself the pleasure of drink and outings, and with an evening off and Morwen's grasp beginning to truly take hold, she felt that perhaps it was time she lent herself to discover the truth behind 'The Kelp Bar.'

She'd not be so daft as to wear one of her summer or spring dresses to the occasion, her own embroidered blouse and trousers worn, with a further jacket and low boots for good measure. 'Warm and covered. Easy to move.' It was an absent thought with which she rubbed her sides. No dagger, no weapons. She was always better with her fists, though having spent the last seasons as she did, to go out into the evening with not a weapon on hand left her feel, to simply put it, strange. Relaxed, perhaps.

As her walk continued along the dim lit road, and Syna's light made itself all the more scarce, the aged and weathered building was soon within the woman's gaze. 'Drunks are good at directions.' She let the slightest giggle leave her lips-she'd spent her journey recalling what she was told by a patient in particular who persistantly invited her back to the Kelp Bar for drinks, claiming himself 'all better' before proving himself in giving she and the nurse direction. Then, he threw up on the nurse's shoes. And then she threw up in basin.

What a splendid evening that one was.

She rolled her shoulders and worked her wrists, giving the sign to the establishment a hard glare before taking stride inside, keeping her gaze low as she made for the bar. She wouldn't draw attention by feigning the search of friend, nor would be she look around in a strange kind of disgusted curiosity.

She made her way to the bar- or rather, the aged boards and counters which she assumed to such - and bit her lip as she took note of the wondrous variety open to her. Kelp beer, kelp beer, or, if she was really feeling adventurous - kelp beer. "Kelp Beer?" she said, expression apparently so quizzical as to make the man behind the counter chortle.
"Aye," his breath was short and cheeks red, a smile pressed as he went about his work. Was he expecting something? Was there some joke that she'd yet been told?

She narrowed her gaze at the man as she accepted the most vile brew, departing with her coin with perhaps too much caution for her to be confident with her decision, thought she quite quickly rectified her mistake. She wet her lips and slide towards the farthermost side of the bar, taking a single seat and slowing her breath as she gave a lazy look around the room, attempting to look as casual as she could manage taking the first sip of rotten brine.

Her eyes widened and jaws clenched, the taste so very much worse than the smell could have ever warned for, and she leapt from the stool perhaps too hastily. Every wish to slip in, observe, and slip out, was quite quickly ruined, the buckle to her shoes catching and her rise to her feet less than graceful. With a catching and bitter word, prompted by the sight of a too amused bartender, and Altaira felt her own back slam into another body, and her blood ran cold.

"I beg my pardon, sir..." Her voice trailed and her fists clenched. She'd heard the tales from patrons themselves. Fights had started in the bar over less.

'Dira.'

oocSorry, was kind of beginning to give up at the end there! Apologies on the wait - and as always, the man she bumps into doesn't have to Harrier :P
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Words: 279063
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2013, 6:39 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Harrier Harwood on December 5th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Common | Fratava | Nari

I believe it’s my pardon, lass.

The Kelp Beer seemed especially salty today, making Harrier’s thirst more desperate and vision more cloudy with every tankard he downed. He’d had worse days and less stable nights, but not by far. With a new sense of purpose and a need to drown his mother’s voice in green brew, the Kelp Bar seemed like heaven on salt-soaked feet.

He’d had to spend some of his quickly dwindling resources on a jacket for the cold season, something to stifle the bone-chilling, biting wind from the bay. Though he hadn’t expected finding something suitable to be such an exercise in patience. It had taken nearly the entire day, searching the city over for a woolen coat that would fit the man and satisfy his tastes – the impression of affluence was so hard to maintain on such a slight budget that one would almost be tempted to be genuine instead.

But the ladies didn’t seem to value genuine men too highly, now did they?

It was the Denvali Quarter that finally served his purpose. A grizzled man had a suitable, black woolen coat for sale hung from a hook on a door, somewhat of an improvised shop as it seemed. The other hooks bore different pieces of clothing, stockings and cloaks and other such items that one would expect from a man selling a coat. Harrier liked that in a man. Knew his place, knew his customers.

If only I had customers.

Still, the two Nilos the man insisted upon for the thing stung his pocket more than he would have liked to admit. As the cold ran through him like a funnel, he exchanged the metal bits for his saving grace. The sun was beginning to set.

A thought of visiting his parents bared its head, only to be squashed more quickly than he had donned the jacket. Its place under his cloak was already a better fit than he was in his parents’ home since he and his mother had fought the season before. She never understood his need to become more. She never understood Harrier at all.

Pity father never found his way to riches, with the talent he bears.

He strode through the streets, a spectre in black and grey, his top hat glistening with the early-winter freezing mist. Though the day had been tedious, there was one thing that always cheered up the milliner.

Alcohol.

And so he found himself in the Kelp Bar, 4 drinks in, before a stunning woman with eyes that entranced.

And there’s no need to apologise. I was at fault.

OOC-2 Nilos for Coat, -2 Nilos for Kelp Beer
Harrier Harwood
Player

Words: 5548
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2013, 2:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Altaira Readva on December 8th, 2014, 10:53 am

The man sounded at least somewhat coherent, and she allowed her fists to uncurl and stance to loosen, clearing her throat as she gave a wayward look around the room. 'Several gazes, not too interested. Good.' His words continued for a short remark, and she found herself shifting forward and straightening up both the chair and her own clothes before she once more turned her attention to him, the salt and rot that tanged her mouth leaving her with a dire wish for a diversion of any sort or description.

"I would be inclined to disagree," She near hummed, prompting to lips to curve in an apologetic smile as she gave him a once over, gaze falling from the shape of his jaw to the make of clothes, before once more slipping southward. He was a man of height no greater than her own, with clothes of somewhat finer make. If nothing else, he was noteworthy in the quite visible care for his appearance. Where the men and women around them wore stained cloth and uniform from work, he seemed to have come to the 'tavern' after a day of different ventures. If there was anything else for certain, however, it was that if she wished to have her questions answered before she found herself emptying her stomach, he seemed the easiest one to ask.

Motives pushed aside, she pressed her lips and gave the man a final inspection, this time her piercing gaze flitting from his hands to his front, a sigh of relief rolling from her lungs as she took note that the man was not carrying drink or having it when she collided. "It is hardly a fault of your own that I was not proper prepared for the salt sting of this blighted ale," she made no attempt to seem beer savvy. Sweet wine was, and always will be, her preferred alcoholic drink. Though perhaps, she mused, as though beverages deserved second chances to prove themselves, the second sip may have been as bad as the first.

And with such a thought coaxing her will and action, and her constant drive to understand the minds and workings of those in the world around her, she took a swift hold of her mug and took another swig. She got more of a taste for it the second time around, a hand moving to her mouth before shifting to her hips as she attempted to swallow the vile drink. Whatever the damned stuff was made with, there was no way in Dira's name that rot had not taken to it. Did they not clean the kelp before it was used to make the beer? She didn't want an answer.

She places the mug on the counter with a breath and slight shake of her head. "How does one engorge themselves on..." She struggled for a word that quite properly conveyed her thoughts without causing insult. "I assume one must learn to drink it?- My name is Altaira, before my manners leave me." Her own introduction came with a short delay another minor self scolding for her own lack of proper manners. With that, she gave the most inviting expression she could manage. She knew little of how to make friends well - though it always seemed to work best when she skipped to the conversation, and pretended she was not awfully awkward, and a poor talker to boot.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Harrier Harwood on December 9th, 2014, 4:34 am

Common | Fratava | Nari

Four rounds of kelp beer is never a good idea, even for a man with a liver of steel and years of experience swilling the stuff in the weathered bar it was made, and Harrier was beginning to feel the effects of the grog he rushed to siphon through his system that evening. Having a woman before him became more and more a test of his constitution with every passing moment, but still he could bring himself to speak clearly… Well, clearly enough to be understood. Luckily, the brine hadn’t taken full effect yet. He still had time for a chat.

Her eyes caught him again, the same as only a moment before, but with a grip like that of Dira herself. The gold seemed to run outward, tinting her skin as it darkened to his view – Or was that the beer?

Gods, I need to be more careful next time I swallow my sorrows from a mug.

Off came the top hat he had donned once again on his way out of the establishment, and Harrier took this moment to shake his head just a bit and steel his nerves before attempting true speech through the slight haze of the drink. It was lucky that he had stopped at his cottage on his journey from Denvali Quarter to bar, for the establishment was hot enough despite the biting cold outside and his jacket and cloak would have made the heat sweltering. Now, standing in only his meticulously washed white-and-grey, the top hat was his only connection to the fop.

Quite, lass, she’s an acquired taste! I don’t- I don’t know how long it is I’ve been sipping this swill, but even I haven’t quite grown to love the mix.” His manners were slipping, and he knew it, but the lovely lady had asked about the beer and Gods be damned, he was going to tell her about the beer!

I’ve tried to talk to the lass behind the bar about it,” At this, he tilted just a bit to the right in order to scan the bar and see that it was manned not by the normal barkeep, but instead by a man, and recoil a bit at the sight, “Who appears to have gotten quite- quite a bit less attractive, but she won’t let slip the secret of its rancid flavour. Maybe it’s not actually kelp, but fish. Lots and lots of rotting fish!” This he bellowed merrily, his ‘joke’ ringing throughout the bar above the overall din.

What d’you normally drink, lass? Ya strike me as a wine girl, made to sit at a table and sup with women you… Disdain.
Harrier Harwood
Player

Words: 5548
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2013, 2:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Altaira Readva on December 24th, 2014, 10:23 am

His hat slid off his head, his movements perhaps the slightest amount inhibited by drink in his blood, and more words and salted breath spilled from his lips.

Dialects always amused her, the way they spoke in Avanthal was far different to how words were said and strung together in the mighty cage of Syliras, and once more, there was another twang common to those who lived by sea and sail. That is, she assumed the man before her was a sailor. Gods knew how many of those around her were ocean born, though she wagered the number to be far greater than three quarters, and she liked to think herself far better read than many of her kin, and settled herself quite happily on the assumption that she'd met with a better dressed sailor.

A moment passed and more words were spilt, and Altaira allowed a good humoured smile to shape her lips. She'd come for drink and fun, she supposed. There was little harm in having it, right? She perished all thought of some day warming up to the ale that had drawn and quartered her taste buds, and listened on with perhaps too much, and too obvious care to the man as he began to prattle his words.

He seemed, to his merit, to be little more than a talkative drunk, and she eased herself as he spoke of merriment and passed oh so secret thoughts to the vile truth behind the slosh they'd imbibed. Another joke slipped his lips, and a light chuckle left hers in followed suit, albeit slightly forced and she ensured that it was not a mere breath that she herself could hear. She'd dealt with enough drunks to know how that joining in with their silliness was the best way to win there favour - though, in cruel admittance - if it'd been under any other intention, the cold shoulder would have been all the man would have been met with.

What was his name?

Her gaze narrowed slightly and she took another sip of rotten drink, pressed her lips and she forced the sludge to slither down her throat, before once more giving her nameless acquaintance full attention. She hated poor manners, and with so much time in woods and thicket, there was nothing less suspicious to her than when one refused to give name. 'An act done by intent?' The conversation then slipped to herself, some fanciful framework of her own life and living woven out before her, and a scoff could hardly be suppressed.

"You assume I've time for any other than myself and those who I hold dear?" She gave an exaggerated look of shock - the kind that she'd give to children she entertained in the infirmary. "Though wine is indeed my pick," she continued, giving the stranger merits where due. "The only ones who have my disfavour are..." she pursed her lips and narrowed her gaze, as though in deep and taxing though. "Dead." She gave a silly giggle and sideways look, "To me, at least."

Oh, how many dreadful times was it such humour that had her taken ill of?

She pressed her lips and rolled her shoulders. "Apologies, my humour seems to be with Dira this night." 'Though, its not as though My Lady does not claim my thoughts on all other eves.' "You name was not given?-Nor whether or not you yourself drink in ill company?"

oocI am so incredibly sorry! Things have just been insane for me- I had assignments and exams and then it was straight into Christmas hell and preparation.
Hope the post was at least somewhat worth the wait! In other news, I couldn't help but giggle hysterically reading your post- I somehow imagined Harrier tipping his hat and saying /M'lady/
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Perplexity on March 24th, 2015, 3:37 am

Altaira :
Skills:
  • Rhetoric | +2 EXP
    Persuasion | +1 EXP
Lores:
    Kelp Beer: The Grimey, Gritty Taste

Comments :
The escapades undertaken under the influence of Kelp Beer. Oh how the bards could sing of them! PM me if you've questions or concerns.
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)