Overgiving - how to write it in a good way

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ornea on December 20th, 2014, 9:05 pm

I’m totally new at describing reimancy. Now I'm writing about overgiving in the last post of this flashback. Would be nice if somebody with knowledge in writing about reimancy would take time to give me a short feedback. I’m wondering about several things.

1 - Right now my PC has 5 SP in reimancy. I have tried to portray novice level in the thread. And for obvious reasons I want her magic to be relatively weak here and there’s no reason for her to be more than novice. But I’m wondering if the 5 SP would be enough for what I’m writing in the thread ... this is hard for me to guess at. I could write other flashbacks to get the reimancy up a little bit. How should I think here?

2 - The overgiving description : does it work?

3 - The reimancy. Again, not sure if the current description works ?
Ornea
Player

Words: 354504
Joined roleplay: September 17th, 2014, 11:03 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nal'reim Qyan on December 20th, 2014, 10:13 pm

I am not an expert but I have done a fair share of reimancy among my PCs. So I will help you the best I can. I will also point Clyde or some the other master reimancers to this post. But to your questions:

1.) The fun thing about the majority of the personal magics is you can do almost anything with a smaller amounts of skill points. The down side it your overgiving is higher doing the same magic that would only be minor for a master to do. So I feel that you melting snow as you did, it within your powers.

2.) This is one of the best overgiving descriptions and uses I have read (I do not read many threads outside my own and those that just happen to catch my interest). I enjoyed it and it is nice to see someone use the sweet whispers.

3.) The only thing I can say here is I was slightly confused on what you were actually doing. Did you melt a hole a few feet or some into the snow and soften that around it? Did you just put for a blast of fire in the shape of the spear? Overall it works, just confused me a bit (but that isn't hard to do).

Like I said, I am not an expert on reimancy and someone could have more knowledge on the skill than I do. If they do, then take their advice and no harm done. Good thread and good luck.

-Nal
ImageImageImage
Nal'reim Qyan
Player

Words: 34560
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2012, 6:59 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Ornea on December 21st, 2014, 7:05 pm

Thanks Nal,

this was really helpful comments. Now I'll have a new look at my text.

I can see now that I had actually forgotten to write out clearly what she was doing. I had the picture of it in my mind, a spear of fire, but I'll need to write it out in words too.

And again, thank you very much for the answer :thumbsup:
Ornea
Player

Words: 354504
Joined roleplay: September 17th, 2014, 11:03 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)