Quest An Exercise in Civility

(Qiao's Ring)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Ink on December 20th, 2014, 9:11 pm

The ring punctured the first of wards at the stairs. One of many as the group climbed the dozens of levels to begin at the top. Lorelei took the rear guard, by far the most dangerous position, since they were releasing the first line of defense from each floor as their progressed. If a step echoed too much she would glance back in a flick of blonde locks, ascertaining they had no tail.

The very top floor of the Gug Andjak consisted of only the stairs, a hallway and a door. The stairs had one shield and then another one shimmered over the only doorway. The door itself was open; an enraged and silk bedecked Nuit stood in it. His mien scrunched up in malice, he shouted orders as soon as they appeared. “Pulsers, I am Overseer Telemaran and you will release me immediately! I saw you penetrate that shield, you will do the same to mine. I will not be caged like some common test subject.”

Beyond him his laboratory was clearly anything but, it held nothing but a desk and bookshelves. Numerous papers perfectly staked and effluvious frippery. The door frame had a placard affixed with an engraved notation:1-B

Telemaran stared them all down, “I will have words with the Council. I overseer the entirety of this facility, to think they would allow a protocol to cage me is inexcusable! Who are you Pulsers? Warden’s initiates?”
Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Derain Roas on December 22nd, 2014, 10:01 pm

Derain walked at the front of the group, eyes wide as he scanned the hallway for any signs of trouble or destruction. The first ward opened with the ring with ease and led Derain to believe that getting around would be easy. The hardest part would be the Wailers and any Nuit's that decide to cause trouble or were irritated that they had been trapped inside their office or the labs. The first floor of the Gug Andjak was the easiest, it was the smallest by any means. A single door, a hallway and the stairs. Derain turned his head to look at Lorelei and Noven.

"Up here looks clear. His office seems fine and other then his ranting and gallivanting he probably won't be any trouble. Best to just leave him in there" he said with shrug. He held the ring and was the only one in the group with the ability to open the door. But why not be civil and ask the others what they thought. His eyes landed on Noven as he gave him a quick look over, there was something about him. Some reason that he wasn't just a fist fighter and the reason that other woman had him in her group. "What do you think Noven? We could let him out but he might just get in the way. He can wait to rant at the council once the situation is dealt with" he had no true reason to allow the Nuit to leave his office.

They could question him from here to see if he had seen anything. Derain turned back to face the Nuit. "I am Derain, Blood Hill initiate and that is Lorelei my partner" he said pointing towards the beautiful blond. He would allow Noven to introduce himself if he pleased it. "You should know what is happening then and why you are locked in there. It's for your own protection and any information you could give us about disturbances or happenings in the lower levels would be useful." Nuit's were far from his favorite people. They were disrespectful towards anything that still truly lived and most were just stuck up.

There were ones who deserved respect, like Wayza and Qiao and others on the council. But the general mass were annoying and this one seemed to be the same. "You said you were the Overseer correct? Are there any secrets that could lead to hiding something or allowing something to escape using the lower levels?" Another question that might prove useful if the Nuit chose to answer.
Derain Roas
Cat Warden Initiate

Words: 17991
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2014, 9:12 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Noven on December 24th, 2014, 9:35 am

It felt odd being sandwiched in the middle of a group, but Nov made no complaints. He was probably the least experienced with whatever these 'wailers' were and he was not in possession of a magic ring. Made sense to be put in between. The man wasn't even sure he could actually fight their present enemy, having never encountered anything of this nature.

He wanted to ask what exactly a wailer even was. There hadn't been time before and Noven had felt less than inclined to expose his own ignorance in front of all of those strangers. But it was just him, Derain, and the blond now. If Lorelei hadn't showed so much wariness as they climbed up stair after stair, flicking her head back at the barest of suspicious sounds, Nov might've deemed it an appropriate opportunity to remedy his unfamiliarity.

Alas, it appeared neither the time nor place to talk. Not until they reached what he assumed was the top and encountered a very vocal, very flustered Nuit.

The merc scowled at the racket this supposed Overseer Telemaran was making. He was on board with Derain's decision; it would likely do more harm than good to allow this inflated corpse to roam as it pleased. Better keep him where he couldn't make any trouble, for them and for himself.

So it was that when Derain quickly sized him up and asked what the merc thought, Noven replied without hesitance, "We should leave him. You're right about him getting in the way. No point in taking risks."

But then the Bloodhill Initiate seemed to form a new idea and turned back to address the infuriated Nuit. Derain introduced himself and his partner, leaving Nov to vouch for himself, before diving into the minutia of why Overseer Telemaran was being kept inside for his own good and ought to relinquish any information he possessed that might help them complete their task.

"Mercenary," was all Noven said in way of greeting.

As Derain laid out his reasonings with the Nuit, the other man took this chance to shift towards Lorelei and ask in a hushed voice, "So, being a first time visitor and all, mind filling me in on what exactly a wailer even is?"

He tried to present his question in as congenial of a way as he could manage while simultaneously not interfering with Derain's civil interrogation. Being in the dark for this long was frustrating as hell and he needed to know what they were going to be up against. Lorelei seemed approachable enough and he figured she might be able to tell him a thing or two before they headed even deeper into the mouth of danger. Better that he ask a little late than never at all.

Noven
Taste my fist

Words: 816073
Joined roleplay: December 16th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Ink on January 29th, 2015, 6:18 pm

The Overseer stared down at the the warden Initiate for a full chime before the corner of his lips twitched. “You have no authority to requisition anything from me, let alone information. You have given me no reason to be on amicable terms. I do happen to know what a wailer is.” The silken robed man strode back further into his office. He settled behind his desk and offered them no further explanation before picking up a sheathe of paperwork.

Lorelai’s curls bounced as she shook her head. “Lucky then, that I know what a Wailer is. Its a creature that shape shifts into its victims. It could be anyone.” Derain’s partner never looked away from the stairwell where they emerged. Her crystalline eyes probing the inconsistent shadows for a renegade figure to arrive. Distractedly she added, “It could even be him.”

Telemaran looked up from his papers, “She’s correct, it could be me or you. Perhaps I am safer in here where you are not, because I know I am not a Wailer. You three Pulsers? I don’t know you from Ovek.” Drawing out a signet stamp and green wax candle he carefully sealed and stamped the documents in hand. “There exist secrets every where on this island Blood Hills Initiate Derain, none of with you are entitled to otherwise you would not have asked.” The Overseer moved onto his next stack. “You, quiet one, you said you were a mercenary? How much would it cost to have you open the shield? I am not an unreasonable man, I can come to compromise, besides my title affords me wealth.”
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Derain Roas on January 30th, 2015, 7:44 am

Derian rolled his eyes, a Nuit showing them disrespect because they were 'pulsers'. It wasn't surprising, most Nuits were cocky as they come. They seemed to believe that the were higher then the true living. " I request information from you to make sure you stay alive" he said putting emphasis on the word alive. Derian nodded at Novens words. It was good to know that everyone on the main land wasn't simple minded and good hearted. The people he knew in Zeltiva were all goodie goodies. There was nothing of interest in them, but their loyalty to the city might prove useful in a golem.

A curl of the corner of his lip as he crossed his arms and listened to her partner give a quick explanation of what a wailer was. Another thing that Derain needed to do. Visit the library to see what was recorded on the creatures inside the void. "It could be him and maybe him." Derain said with a shrug before his eyes looked back to the Nuit. "Safe is a relative word on this island, we have our numbers and mine and Lorelei's magics. I am sure our friend here could handle himself. I don't need you to tell me that there are secrets on the island. On that much I already know, I also do not need you to tell me if I-" he said pausing as the Nuit cut him off to speak to speak to Noven.

Another smirk on his face as he sighed. The ring sitting comfortably on his finger, he glanced over his shoulder at Noven. "Like I said, Lorelei and I have our magics. I believe we could deal with our friend if he got any bright idea for money. But I am sure the council could also award him quiet fairly. I'd rather not have to kill a member of our team. I would rather keep the numbers we have." he shrugged simply. It was Noven's choice in the end, if he wanted to take on the pair of initiates for the ring to free the Nuit for a pay he may never actually get.

"Anyway, shall we move on? The corpse isn't going to speak to us in a friendly way. We may as well just leave him in there. I doubt he is going anywhere and we weren't told that we have to free anyone. So he should be safe, if not I am sure that someone can take his place" he said. It was common for initiates to fall of the map and die. Derian was confident that Nuits could be replaced just in the same way they were.
Derain Roas
Cat Warden Initiate

Words: 17991
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2014, 9:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Noven on February 2nd, 2015, 8:16 pm

The Overseer was growing more insufferable by the tick, but Lorelei was quick to step in and offer a much needed explanation. Eyes narrowing thinner with each word she spoke, Nov glanced up at the Nuit behind the barrier. He didn't like the idea of these wailers running amok. And he liked Telemaran even less.

He had to give the Nuit one thing though. However arrogant he may have appeared to be, the corpse was upfront and direct, no grease or sleeze in abundance. Noven hated rats, and the oily ones were the worst.

The merc listened to Telemaran's brazen offer, then to Derain as the Bloodhill Initiate offered his two coppers on the matter. He lowered his head and furrowed his brow as if in serious consideration. A few moments of tenuous silence passed before Nov's mouth stretched into a slow grin as he answered, "A pint." And, just in case the Nuit had no idea what he was talking about, Nov elaborated, "Of ale. For your freedom. Krysus, I could really use a drink right about now. Three days I've been on this island and not a single, bloody tavern in sight. So if your precious little title can conjure me some decent drink, right here, right now, I'd be much obliged."

He waited a tick for his words to sink in. Then Noven took a careful step forward to look the Nuit square in the eye. "You must take me for a pretty stupid Pulser, Overseer Telemaran, if you think coin will buy my services. There aren't enough mizas in the world for you to be set free by my hands after what Miss Lorelei here has just explained."

The grin had all but faded.

"Besides," he added, moving back to stand with his companions, "Derain is right. You're safer in there and we've got a job to do."

His bout of chattiness having passed, Noven turned to the Initiates. It pricked his pride a bit to be spoken of as though he were a common sellsword or, worse yet, a rabid dog that would be put down if he made the wrong decision. But the Sunberthian was used to being seen as a thug. It was his advertised profession after all. That, and they hadn't known each other for more than a bell. Could hardly blame the others for not placing their full and absolute trust in him. Hell, he wouldn't either. Perhaps this one outcome might persuade them to invest more faith in him. Perhaps not.

Either way, it was time to go and deal with the true monsters of their mission.

"Lead the way, then, Intitiates."

Noven
Taste my fist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Ink on February 6th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Lorelei pursed her lips but said nothing and followed the pair down the stairs to the next floor, before the Overseer chose to reply. The second floor of the Gug Andjak as not so different from the first, infact the floor plan was identical. One door sat ajar, the sounds of a hammer rhythmically slamming against metal. Inside the room was disturbingly well lit. No candles were in evidence and the light didn’t flicker anyway, it was all lit as though someone had captured a piece of Syna and trapped her within. Perfect light. A resounding strike from the smith signalled a break.

The Isur turned away from his pedestal and through the barriers that stabilized magecrafting. Covered in sweat and grime from head to toe, the Isur was quick to notice the activity in the hallway. “Rare that we have visitors on the second floor. More so that they’re Initiates” He commented, his voice graveled.

The fist on his black arm flexed. Silverheart stepped up to the doorway only just now noticing the shield had fallen into place. He looked it over but seemed unconcerned, “Lorelei, has Eli sent you both?”

The female Initiate shook her head subtly, “Not this time Master Silverheart. His weapons are in perfect working order.”

The Isur nodded, “So the shield draws you then.” Looking at the two men he waited for an explanation, although how long that patience would last was questionable.
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Noven on March 7th, 2015, 5:45 am

Noven walked with the others in silence, ears pricked for the first sign of danger and nerves tensed in a tangled ball. By the time they reached the second floor, he had to double take and quickly recount to himself the events that had led up to the present. This floor looked almost exactly the same as the first. Only, there were different sounds coming from one of the rooms. As they walked up to face it and the shield keeping its inhabitants within, Nov could see the room was strangely bright. Too bright, he realized, to be done by any natural means.

A stout figure with muscular arms turned from his labor intensive task to greet the newcomers. He was an Isur, the cook could tell after searching his features for a few ticks. There was that same, brooding brow, and the similarly non-flesh arm, reminding him briefly but painfully of--

The Isur spoke, snapping Nov's attentions back to the present situation. Apparently, it seemed he and Lorelei knew of each other, as well as some other person named Eli. Master Silverheart, as Lorelei eventually addressed him in response, let his gaze fall upon the mercenary, asking if it was the shield that drew them here. He didn't look to be the terribly patient type.

"Well, yes and no," Noven answered to the best of his ability, feeling anxious at taking the reigns but unable to turn back now that he had started it. "Something's happened in the Citadel and we've been sent to deal with it."

Somehow, even with what he'd recently learned of Wailers, the merc felt like he ought to address the Isur with more frankness. He coughed, clearing his throat, and added, "You and Lorelei already seem to be acquainted, but I am Noven, a mercenary and member of the Scars visiting from the city of Sunberth. We've already passed Overseer Telemaran and he does not seem pleased with the situation, but there is little we can do until we root out the problem. We have decided not to take any unnecessary risk by keeping everyone in their rooms and behind their shields."

He looked to Lorelei then, not sure if there was more to be said. Suddenly, a thought occurred to him and he turned back to the Isur once more."Master Silverheart, did you happen to see anything before the lockdown? Something that might aid us in our task?"

Noven
Taste my fist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Ink on March 13th, 2015, 7:05 am

The Isur patiently gave the human his say. Unlike the Nuit he was very much alive and didn’t see their pulses as a handicap. Finally after considering it at length the gruff man shook his head, “Can’t say I’ve seen anything, Noven. Doubt anything made it this high anyways, very little does.”
Lorelei’s lips curved, “In a way its a punishment for his sympathies.” She explained carefully. While Derain would understand, Noven had no such background. The Isur, undisputed master of magecrafting upon the island of undead, had sided with the Pulsers and was the true founding power behind the Wardens.

His laugh, unexpected, and like wagon wheels on broken cobbles came in a short bark. “A tarnished gift is still a gift Lorelei.”

She laughed this time too, hers suggestive of all the secrets that never came to life to begin with. “Like a dusty, seasonally flooding cave in the magic corrupt testing grounds…” She trailed off her haughty retort dwindling into contemplative silence, “but, it is better than the forges.”

Silverheart gave her a stretching, silent look before returning to Noven. “Name your quarry, if it will remove this imposition from my work more quickly, I will provide you with one of my works of arms and magic for a time. My weapons always stay true.”
Ink
DS in Sahova

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

An Exercise in Civility

Postby Noven on March 17th, 2015, 8:22 am

The longer he spoke, the more Noven was aware that the Isur before him was actually listening. Unlike Overseer Telemaran, Master Silverheart didn't seem keen on either getting rid of or somehow exploiting the Pulsers on the other side of the shield. The merc found this interesting but said nothing of it. They were still waiting on an answer and the Isur was giving the question serious thought.

Alas, it was a negative. Master Silverheart hadn't seen anything and claimed nothing ever really made it that high. Nov wasn't sure what this meant, nor was he able to make much sense of Lorelei's following comment. Or anything that came to be said between the blond and Isur afterward, in fact, but the Sunberthian figured he ought to get used to this. There was plenty he couldn't--and wouldn't--understand on this strange island. That much was clear since the first day he'd set food in Sahova.

Politics, intrigue, histories shared over the span of centuries between the dead and the deader...yeah, not much hope of him grasping the deeply embedded intricacies here anytime soon.

Whatever had passed between them, Nov was happy to remain ignorant of. The way he saw it, things were complicated enough as they were, and there were more pressing matters to focus on. But then Silverheart surprised him after a small stretch of silence. He offered a weapon of his making to aid in their mission, revealing that his work involved magic. Of all the things the merc had been expecting, frankness had not been one of them, let alone such generosity. Yet here they were, being lent help he didn't doubt they could sorely use.

Something about what Lorelei had said about sympathies was starting to make a bit more sense in Nov's head.

"Well..." he started to answer, rubbing at his neck in uncertainty, "we're after Wailers, I think. But I haven't the slightest idea how you're supposed to kill one. Or even recognize one. And I've never handled any magic before..."

Nov glanced at Lorelei again questioningly, not relishing that he relied on her so much, but his cluelessness could not be cured on his own. Then he turned back to Master Silverheart and continued, "But whatever aid you can offer, we'd be honored to accept." There was a slight paused before he added a minor, last chime confession. "I think I'm going to need all the help I can get."

Noven
Taste my fist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next