[Verified by Crosspatch] Jalen

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Jalen

Postby Jalen on February 7th, 2015, 5:12 am

J A L E N (Ha-len)
Always Searching, never Home.
"Why does it feel like I'm still in the wilderness?"

"What, you think I have time for mirrors? I wish."
001. Appearance

Date of Birth: Spring 40, 493
Race: Chaktawe
Profession: Slave

Fluent: Common
Basic: Tawna
Poor: N/A

Other 1: blah
Other 2: blah
Other 3: blah

Jalen stands at average height for a Chaktawe at six feet. Years as a slave have left him strong, broad-shouldered and toned from head to toe. His eyes are black, as befits his race. His skin is naturally reddish in tone, though work in the sun often leaves him burned bronze. Usually his black hair is left wild and untamed, and his chin is covered in rugged stubble. Occasionally he would shave and trim his hair or pull into a tight tail when working within the household. He also bears a tattoo of a crocodile on the right side of his face, a remnant from his time spent as a slave in Kenash.

"Don't worry about me. I'm fine!"
002. Personality

Likes: Trees, water, birds, dancing, firelight, friends, Chaktawe, freedom, Spring, nature, art, music, strength, the color red.
Dislikes: Slavers, cold, thirst, being alone, failure, dishonor, Kenash, strict laws, granidiles.
Ethics: Everyone has the right to be free and to fight for their survival.

Jalen's life was forever altered when he left his homeland. His natural pride was broken by his failed searching and years of servitude. At the same time he's grown to understand that his people's natural distrust of other races is often unfounded. The diverse population of slaves and slavers alike taught him that good or bad people can come from anywhere.

Now, though he's humbled, there is a spark of resistance still within him. He loves all things creative, anything that reminds him of his home or his people. Whatever joy he can find in life he chases after eagerly. His fellow slaves are like an extended family, reminiscent of the tribe of his childhood. He couldn't be described as jolly, but his peers always found him ready to laugh at a joke or search for the good side of a situation. It was never optimism though. Just hope.

"The shadows of dancers would fly across the trunks of the trees, their laughter rising to the scarlet canopy... it was a paradise."
003. History

Whatever has been lost can be regained. Right?
Jalen's childhood was spent like any youth of the Tatsuwaat tribe. Days were spent learning to track and survive with his father and brothers, nights were spent around the campfire, listening carefully as the Abaylas wove the tales of their people. And in the Spring, a season of peace and laughter beneath the red-leaved Keerdash trees. He remembers those days especially fondly, dancing in the flickering light among friends and family, feasting on the roots of the trees that sheltered them, resting from the year's hardships. It was not always an easy life, but the Keerdash grove afforded his tribe a respite that the other tribes lacked. Within the safety and relative abundance of the trees, Jalen grew to respect not just the skills that let his people survive, but those that let them thrive

During the rest of the year he worked with the coming Spring in mind, striving to meet his father's expectations and learn what he needed in order to help his tribe and complete his searching when he came of age. When the day came that he turned fifteen, he underwent his tribes ritual and his searching began. Left alone in the wilderness, he walked through the desert and prayed to Eywaat for guidance. When the weeks marched by and he still had not receive an answer he began to panic. Continuing to travel, he walked north until he reached the edge of the desert. There, lost and starving, he began to lose faith. Had he done something wrong? He had never heard of any searching taking so long, nor sending anyone so far.

Fear gripped him, and eventually it dawned on him that he must have failed. Somehow, some way, Eywaat had not found him worthy. Ashamed, he fled the desert for civilized lands. His people would not accept him with his searching incomplete. Without his guardian he was not a man--no, he wasn't even Chaktawe. Wandering aimlessly, he passed through settlements of Eyktol, ignoring stares and stopping just long enough to drink his fill. It was in this way that he was captured by slavers while passing into Cyphrus.

Sold to a plantation in Kenash, Jalen spent years working in the sun and swamps under the watchful eyes of the overseers. Despite prayers to the gods and multiple escape attempts, he remained there until he was twenty-one. Over the years his temperament mellowed, and he accepted his situation. Finding no solace in life but unable to let himself die, he threw himself into the work he was given. His exemplary service even earned him time as a household slave, waiting on his masters' every whim. His new position made him wonder if escape might be possible after all.

Fate presented him his chance when one of the members of his dynasty took a trip south near the border between Cyphrus and Eyktol. Some slaves were taken to do the work, including Jalen. Seizing the opportunity, he waited until the opportunity presented itself and made a run for it, stealing some supplies and a hefty sum of mizas. Payment for the last six years of his life.
Last edited by Jalen on February 10th, 2015, 1:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jalen
Always searching, never home.

Words: 28622
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2015, 8:16 am
Character sheet

Jalen

Postby Jalen on February 7th, 2015, 11:17 am

J A L E N (Ha-len)
"I'm not without my uses."
004. Skills

Knowing how to survive is important. Knowing how to live, even more so.

Physical
SkillExperienceTotalLevel
Running+10SP10Novice
Dancing+5SP5Novice
Weapon: Shortbow, Composite+5SP5Novice
Weapon: Dagger+5SP5Novice
Weapon: Handaxe+5SP5Novice
Endurance+44Novice
Riding+22Novice

Mental
Wilderness Survival: Desert+10RB, +5SP, +116Novice
Tracking+10SP10Novice
Observation+3, +14Novice
Land Navigation+11Novice

Social
Socialization+11Novice
Cosmetology+11Novice
#---

Trade
Construction+5SP5Novice
Medicine+22Novice
#---

Arcane
#---
#---
#---

"Sometimes I want to forget. It might be easier."
005. Lore

What is there to say? Knowledge is power? Cliche, but true.

Social
Drykas: the horse-clans of Cyphrus
Pavi: involves gestures as well as words
Three
Four

Cyphrus fauna: glassbeaks
Endrykas location: the River Flower
Four

Event
One
Two
Three
Four

History
Chaktawe Oral History
Two
Three
Four

People
Akasjia: a pretty girl of the Suli
Shahar Dawnwhisper: a Drykas of few words
Three
Four

Skills
Cosmetology: painting Suli marks
Endurance: fixating on a goal to keep going
Medicine: pressure to stop bleeding
Navigation: orienting on the sun
Riding: staying on a yvas behind another
Survival: paying attention to one's surroundings
Last edited by Jalen on March 1st, 2015, 11:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Jalen

Character sheet

Jalen

Postby Jalen on February 7th, 2015, 11:33 am

J A L E N (Ha-len)
"A slave doesn't need possessions. And that makes them important."
006. Possessions

Everything you need to know, wrapped up in a little nutshell

Clothing
Old shirt, patched
Pair of trousers, torn beneath the knees
Undergarments
Long coat, spattered with dry mud

Equipment
Pack
Waterskin
Set of Toiletries
Eating Knife
Flint and Steel
4-person Tent
Bedroll
Blanket
Lantern, Hooded
2x Torches
Fishing Kit
Compass
Large Tarp
100 Feet of Rope

Miscellaneous
One
Two
Three
Four

Heirloom
A small leather pouch, stained red with dye made from the scarlet leaves of the keerdash trees. The drawstring is adorned with beads and a crow's feather. Inside is a mix of desert herbs and the crushed roots of a keerdash tree. It smells like home.

Ledger
NameCreditDebitTotal
Starting Package+100 GM-100 GM
Cash in Housing+500 GM-600 GM
4-person Tent--10 GM590 GM
Large Tarp--5 GM 585 GM
100 ft. of rope--2 GM583 GM
Lantern, Hooded--7 GM576 GM
Fishing Kit--10 GM566 GM
Compass--200 GM366 GM
Bedroll--1 SM365 GM, 9 SM
Blanket, Winter--5 SM365 GM, 4 SM
2x Torches--4 CM365 GM, 3 SM, 6 CM
Winter Expenses, Poor--45 GM320 GM, 3 SM, 6 CM

"My home is far away from here. I'll be back there one day. I know it."
007. Housing

Everything you need to know, wrapped up in a little nutshell
After escaping the Kenashian Dynasty, Jalen was captured by Shahar and is now serving and living in his pavilion.
Last edited by Jalen on March 1st, 2015, 11:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jalen

Character sheet

Jalen

Postby Jalen on February 7th, 2015, 11:34 am

J A L E N (Ha-len)
"I can't forget where I've been. I can't forget where I'm going."
008. Threads

Yeah, threads and stuff.

Winter 514
DateTitleProgressExperience Awarded
40th of Winter, 514 AVAdriftGradedAnimal Husbandry +2, Intimidation +1, Negotiation +1, Riding +2, Socialization +1, Tracking +2
41st of Winter, 514 AVThe Welcome PartyOngoing-
#---

Spring 515
#---
#---
#---

Flashback
11th of Fall, 507 AVAutumn's GatheringGradedCosmetology +1, Observation +1, Socialization +1
11th of Fall, 507 AVBonfires and StarlightOngoing-
73rd of Summer, 508 AVInk BrandingAwaiting Grade-
32nd of Summer, 512 AVTrue Guardians of the LynintOngoing-
Last edited by Jalen on February 9th, 2015, 8:48 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jalen

Character sheet