Solo Fury To The Marrow Of His Bones [Work Thread]

Ayszel repairs shelves in Marrows Shop...but can she avoid damaging the artifacts?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The unassuming den of the Constrictor Dhani, it is truly a pit of snakes. Travelers should take care, because the Dhani are always hungry... [Lore]

Fury To The Marrow Of His Bones [Work Thread]

Postby Ayszel on April 26th, 2015, 5:32 am

Ayszel descended the slippery depths of Zinrah that led to Marrows shop. The tunnels were unkempt but not likely unsteady, Ayszel reasoned, or a more experienced Reimancer would already have been called upon. However, the rationalization didn’t stop the young Dhani from eyeing the tunnels walls with a cautious distrustful eye.

A shudder padded its way across her spine as she neared the shops entrance. She had never entered the bone filled abode before, too many treacherous and all too wondrous rumors surrounded the place. While the majority of Zinrah was musty and stagnant, in a way the inhabitants no longer noticed, at these depths even Ayszel noticed an increasing must. It was raw and sweaty with an electric buzz that set her teeth on edge. Perhaps it is that foul magic Ayszel thought, or perhaps it is just nerves. she reasoned as she entered. While she knew nothing much of malediction, she had heard the stories and stories where more than enough for the Dhani to acquire an opinion.

The narrow tunnel entrance pressed in on Ayszels shoulders, making her hunch as she made her way in. As she slithered into the shop it grabbed her breath. She had always envisioned the place as a tiny tight hovel, a piece of space stolen from the rest of Zinrah. What she found was an expansive breadth of skulls and a maze of death on shelves.

“Hello?” She called; scared her breath would break the hanging tusks, bones and other unrecognizable remains. Slithering forward her tail rattled against bones littering the ground in piles and her shoulder jostled rats, strung up on sinew, as she flicked her tail away in an attempt to stop the clumsy jostling. It was of course, futile, and as she stared about her stuck in an awkward pose to avoid damaging the fragile and expensive merchandise she missed the gaze for several moments.

His skin was dark, even for a Dhani. His head was starkly bare but he made up for it through the various gold accoutrements adorning his face. I wonder if they have powers... Ayszel wondered as his listless eyes watched her from a distance, silent as the bones. Her forked tongue slithered out for a moment, tasting the air. Her slitted eyes shifted slowly and her large thick serpentine head wavered slightly, disconcerted by the human gaze returning hers. She preferred neither her Dhani or Snake form, both were useful and pleasant in their own right. However, the human form was so rare in Zinrah that both slaves and humanoid form Dhani unnerved her.

“I was sent here from Sitria.” She explained after the silence had stretched out for some time. When her explanation received no visible response from the proprietor she added “I was sent to fix-“

“Shelvesss.” He replied tonelessly.

“Yesss.” Her tongue vibrating as it was extended from her mouth. Why did I have to get such a lousy project... she bemoaned, more worried about her situation that the curiosity of a man before her. Last season, though she had been working with the most insufferable man, she had at least been allowed to work on more interesting tasks under his supervision. Now I’m back to shelves, beds and tables....

Turning his back, he made his way slowly through the mounds of death. His shoulders and feet made much less noise than her long thick tail and broad shoulders. However, even he could not be utterly silent, If he can't be silent in his own shop he should really clean up. she scolded silently, but it had the added benefit of making her far less self conscious about her own racket.

She stared at the ground before her, focusing on weaving through the artifacts. Long cannon bones lay across her path like logs in the forest. Bunching her body slightly she lifted herself up and slowly lowered her torso on the other side of the thick protrusion. She moved forward slowly, watching over her shoulder and gritting her teeth in focus as she slowly lifted each portion of her tail over it. Neither a hunter nor a guard she spent little time in the world above ground and as such wasn't used to the delicate acrobatics required of her body to maneuver in such a fashion. As such, her focus led the side of her head into the sharp end of a horn.

Freezing, the end of her tail stuck in midflex above the cannon bone she recoiled slightly. Eyes wide a thick smooth horn stuck straight out from the shelf toward her forehead. Dead straight between her eyes. She gulped. Moving the last piece of the end of her tail over the cannon bone she slowly turned and eyed the long tunneled catacombs before spotting the glinting gold of his jewelry several rows over.

Moving toward the glinting gold she glanced over her shoulder at the creature she had almost run into. From this angle she could see this time that it wasn't a horn but rather a birds beak. The skull was indecipherable beneath a mask of gold inscriptions but would have taken both of Ayszels large hands to hold. Perhaps it is good that the jungle is not where I lie...[i] she thought to herself, the worst there was to worry about down here were the enormous salamanders.

[i]Oh. Another pile.
she noted as she diverted her body to the left to avoid a tumbling pile of large crab exoskeletons each engraved with fine symbols. Craning forward she peered at the piece of paper that hung over them. Protected Possessions the sharp wheeling hand had inscribed. Emboldened Ayszel reached out and lifted one of the crabs to her face, eyeing it curiously. They were remarkably large, larger than any crab she had ever seen. Hollow, Ayszel figured they somehow worked as a jewellery box.

“Aren’t you ssssuposed to work?” The voice was gruff and low, the perfect tone to avoid jostling an unsuspecting client into dropping an item. It worked, though Ayszel fumbled with the shell, she never lost her grip.

“Yesss...of courssse. Where is the sssshelf?” She asked as she gently set the shell down with a dull thump. She followed his finger toward a corner where items lay in more disarray than usual and a crumbling stone shelf several meters long extended two feet from the limestone wall. She sucked in breath through pursed lips making a low whistling sound. It was much more damage than the report had described. Perhaps this wont be so boring afterall... She pondered as she slithered toward the project and coiled, poised before the ramshackle remains as she contemplated the steps necessary to fix the mess.

“What happened?” She asked curiously, though her slitted eyes didn’t waver from the job before her. When he didn’t answer, she broke her concentration and glanced over her shoulder. He was already gone, lost in the catacombs.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on July 21st, 2015, 1:44 am

Turning back to her work Ayszel eyed her work space with a raised eyebrow. He can't really expect me to work with all this bespelled death about me? She cringed as she picked up the tiny skull of a mouse. This she recognized, as mice ran aplenty in the tunnels. She swore under her breath as she picked artifacts up, placing each between artifacts on other shelves as she tidied the work station.

Petchin' Sorcerers. Always the worst jobs to get, never have the work area prepped...never a thank you or a nod when the job is over. Gettin' all fussy about the way you use your djed about their precious work... the mumbling carried on for some time until a much louder Petch was carried from her mouth.

Glancing down at her bleeding finger she scowled at the head of a horny reptile, gazing eyeless back at her. It was covered in spines and set on the top of a bone circlet. "Careful...." The croaking voice whispered, chuckling at her back. She turned to meet the pointed teeth of a grinning maledictor. "You never know what an item may do...." He warned over his shoulder as he moved into the next aisle.

Not bothering to ask if he can help clean up his own mess.. she muttered as her tongue flicked out to clear away the small bubble of blood that had risen on her finger. Several bells passed before she could even begin her work leaving her much nonplussed.

However, as she settled into the routine that came from her job a warmth spread out from her chest to lap at her fingers. It was a feeling she always felt since overgiving before she was to pull upon her djed. It was a feeling she knew from then to be all too tantalizing and dangerous. However, it was as pleasant and necessary as an orgasm was from time to time. A biological thirst that needed to be quenched. Little did she know her own rationalization had also been uttered from the lips of addicts and drunks.

Reaching down she picked up a small piece of the shelf in one hand and closed her eyes. Slowly she walked through the catacombs of her internal self. So similar it seemed to the catacombs of the maledictors shop she questioned for a moment whether her eyes were truly closed. Supremely satisfied they were when the golden glow appeared before her Ayszel moved toward it more confidently than ever.

The light illuminated her face from below, casting her eyes into shadow and highlighting the plumpness of her still young face. Kneeling before the pool of res she extended a hand and cupped the honey-like liquid. It was a slow careful process, holding the liquid as long as possible in her fingers as it seeped out of every available crevice. Pressing it into the rock in her hand she slowly felt the composition of the rock as Tsuskee had taught her.

Unlike the relatively easy Gypsum this rock was immensely dense, so dense she couldn't focus her res with enough control to slip between its pieces and decipher the puzzle that granted it identity. Pressing her res into the rock at different angles she slowly surrounded it in a ball of gold. Nothing gave way.

Recoiling the res she slowly opened her eyes and stared at the floor thinking deeply. I can't possibly make new shelves. I couldn't make a gram of this even if I desired. I can't even pull it from the wall, since the wall is limestone... She thought, recognizing its identity instantly, as it was the identity her own res assembled automatically when creating rock. I could destr- no, he would hardly like me removing such impressive stone to make shelves of limestone...I could fill in the fallen parts with limestone... She thought. It was certainly a fix she would have used even a season ago. But if Tsuskee had taught her nothing else it was that eloquence and ease of solution was what brought a Geomancer success in Zinrah. That may be the most efficient solution but it is barbaric in nature... she decided.

I could pick the pieces up and put them back together like a jigsaw...and use limestone as a type of glue... She perused. It was a more eloquent plan, less efficient but of moderate ease. Ease is important because you only have so much endurance, you can only do magic for so long that is, and you should be able to finish most first level requests in one session without overgiving. Find a solution that preserves the structural integrity and beauty in a minimal number of sessions. His loathesome voice echoed. She wished she could be rid of it, or have an excuse not to listen. But she couldn't and didn't in turn.

Gypsum! She realized while thinking of him. I could use a gypsum glue, it will be much prettier, that translucent quality and its softness will make better glue than limestone and since this material She thought, running the black stone between her fingers., Is so dense, the lightness of it probably wont have a structural impact. She hoped at least.

She had been practicing Gypsum somewhat since he had taught her and so was fairly sure she could make a functional imitation. Even if any geologist could identify its inferiority, it will serve the purpose nicely. She decided.

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on July 21st, 2015, 2:31 am

First...I need to build the puzzle. She decided, gazing at the menagerie of stone shapes beneath her feet. Kneeling down she moved through the rubble aimlessly while she thought of an approach. Puzzles were not a trinket most Dhani were raised with, herself included. In fact, she had never heard of a puzzle and as such had never learned the techniques one could use to solve it, such as beginning with edge pieces. Perhaps those techniques would not even have worked for a job such as this where corner pieces were indecipherable from the rest. Perhaps knowledge of puzzles would have hindered her, taught her a way she was SUPPOSED to solve it only to confuse her further. There was a reason children were much better at riddles than adults.

I'll begin by sorting the pieces in to large, medium, small and too small to use. She decided. That way, I can create the basic shape with the large pieces and fill in the blanks with the medium and small pieces. Unbeknownst to her a grin had plastered itself upon her face. As much as she valued physical prowess and thought of her own success only in those regards it was her mind that truly delighted her and was what she used most frequently on her path to success. However, it was something she had not yet realized about herself, as obvious as it was to others. A smile had drawn up the corners of the maledictors cheeks as he watched the youngling at work. He knew. He had seen the same denial in himself for many years.

These big pieces have rounded edges on one side, so I'll put them on the ends.. she thought to herself as she bent down hands wrapping around the rough edges of the wedges as she hauled them into a loosely organized row. Eventually four large pieces were set side by side with rounded edges facing outward. Taking up several forearm long pieces she looked for edges of similar length and angle and began pressing them together, searching for pieces that fit together relatively well. While small chunks, as she anticipated, were missing she found several with relative ease that made up half the shelf.

The latter part of the shelf was much more difficult. The medium pieces seemed to have had chunks smashed out of them and as such nothing fit together with any preciseness. I suppose I should arrange it using the grain of the rock... she decided, though the grain angled and changed and was so fine peering at it for several moments did her no help.

Finally she gave up and arranged them randomly, trying to fit them together as closely as possible, making it appear pebbled more than the rest. That's too bad... She thought, disappointed that it wouldn't resemble what she had thought.

She had to close her eyes to work her magic, required to for the distraction of external stimuli always disrupted her control. She coiled down, low toward the stone and placed a finger at the top of the crack and closed her eyes. The pool opened in the distance more easily than ever. She smiled softly to herself its warm firm light guiding her footsteps. Sinking slowly deeper into meditation Ayszels toe tips touched the bank. She had no idea of meditation, no frame of reference to frame what she did, but only knew that the only way to access that which was inside of her, to control that which was inside her was to become completely still.

The world stopped, her heart slowed to a dull echo in her ears, and her body numbed as she dipped a finger into the pool. Now the most challenging part... she thought as she slowly opened her eyes. It was a blur at first, the tip of her finger. Stabilizing her state was the dull glow of gold at its tip.

The sound of shattering bone, like a crinkle in time sent the shy little gold skittering back into her hand and made her eyes open wide as she whirled around. The word moved again. "Shut up you little petch. Can't you see there is work being done." She snapped, scowling at the back of a mans head.

Turning around he nodded his head, his broad reptilian head nodding gently in apology. "I am ssssorry missss-". It was Tsuskee. His breath was halted.

What is he doing HERE of all places? Ayszel wondered vehemently, Is there nowhere I can escape from him... a hiss slipped passed her pursed lips and her head weaved in much the way it did when she had spotted prey.

"I'm jussst leaving..." he declared almost knocking over more skulls as he rushed to leave.

"Good riddance..." She muttered under her breath.

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on July 21st, 2015, 8:37 pm

It was more difficult this time, to find the silence within herself. She kept returning to Tsuskee's face. His smug delighted face when he had touched Rixal. Her red hair coiled in his knuckles. She shook her head several times, trying to be rid of the image but the harder she fought the more the red hair blinded her eyes from the golden pool. The harder she fought the louder the moans that echoed in her ears. Why does this bother me so? Why must I obsess over it like a hatchling with a carcass...

"You ssssseem a touch disssstracted..." The gravelly voice inquired, his pale eyes peering at her from between two shelves. She couldn't discern his expression, his intention by those words.

"Yessss....a touch..." She replied.

"Would you care for sssssome tea...." He asked eventually. She glanced up in surprise. It wasn't often that a proprietor offered a geomancer anything. It simply wouldn't occur to them.

Ayszel gazed back at the face with a similar silence, "No thank you...I sssshould be one with my work..." She replied. Something about him made her stomach quiver uneasily. It was an instinct Dhani learned to follow from a young age. The older you got, the more you had to look out for yourself and the more others were looking to get something from you. Oh to be a naive little hatchling again.... Ayszel commiserated as she turned back to her work.

If nothing else the disruption had her attention back on track. Closing her eyes once again she slithered into the darkness. Concentrating on her breathing she felt her chest rise and then fall in a perfect even pattern. Slowly as she exhaled her breath blew away the black curtains that hid the pool.

Her fingertip elicited a slow lumberous ripple. Opening her eyes tentatively she gazed through the fuzziness at the gently glowing finger. It was like pressing her finger into a warm tub of water. Opening her eyes further she felt the res waver like a flickering candle. Struggling not to grit her teeth to focus, a movement she knew would only drive her further from the calmness required for this level of control.

Taking a deep breath she exhaled her frustration and imagined the feeling of gypsum she had felt earlier. She couldn't remember his instructions, they had flown over her head completely and utterly despite his best attempts. But she remembered the sense of its identity. She knew not how to make the structure form from the angles but rather felt the remarkably symmetrical structure as it formed under her fingers. I am white it spoke, I am translucent. I am light and uniform. It was not gypsum in its most detailed form, nor would any geologist call it gypsum looking at it but to the amateur eye it appeared as gypsum in the most synthetic way.

Slowly she drew her res along the wobbling crack between the pieces and as she drew her res transformed into the stone, pouring into the crevices of the two stones it joined, gluing the two permanently together. She continued along the line, the job growing easier as she held the identity within her center.

She opened her eyes fully, holding the res and pool close at hand to begin again. It moved from her fingers with syrupy slowness but unfailingly and without hesitation. She pulled the next small triangular piece toward the other edge and began again. Again and again she pulled pieces together. It took incredible focus, enough that sweat dripped from her brow as she worked, to create the ill-made gypsum glue and to pour it into the narrow gap with such control. While it was taking great control to complete the work very little res was being used. As such, though she felt her concentration weaken from the strain the pool within her still flowed strong and undiminished.

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on July 29th, 2015, 6:33 pm

As she neared the end of the first shelf more gypsum was needed to fill in the larger gaps and thus more yellow slithered from her fingertips. By now the stone resembled gypsum less and less and had become largely a limestone with translucent qualities. The transition had been so gradual and her focus so intense that she didn't notice anything beyond the tip of her own broad nose.

Extending her long red tongue slowly it flickered toward her fingertips. Slowly the res extended into the very small pores of the thick stone and hardened into limestone to bind the pieces together firmly. Finally the piece was finished and as she recoiled her magic she stared down at the heavy structure in dismay. Perhaps I should have glued each piece to the wall as I went... Ayszel sighed with dismay. The rock was much too dense and heavy to move on her own now.

But perhaps....perhaps my magic can... She realized, a plan forming so quickly it was as shocking as a bolt of venom to the vein. Yellow res, as murky as pus from an open wound formed from the palm of her hand. Pooling up in the wrinkles and lines of her palm and oozing outward. It crawled, like a mad thing over the wall surface when she pressed herself to it. She imagined the stalking wiggle of a centipede and willed the res to form itself in its like. Slowly it created a long wiggling line at the height of the first shelf.

Like fingers they dripped downward from the line to the floor. Come to me my dear stone... She murmured, attracting the shelf toward her. Slowly the edge of it pressed against the wall and moved upward toward the long line. Once fixed against the surface the line of res became the rich pale cream of limestone, sealing it against the cream of the wall behind it.

Reimancy is... She breathed yellow smokey breath, laced with res, it sparkled in the dim light. more beautiful than people realize. More art and science than magic in many ways. It was hard for her to imagine a world beyond Zinrah where Geomancy was used primarily for battle.

A throb rose in her chest as she stared at her work. It wasn't particularly beautiful, elegant or perfect in science and in art but it was handy and would suffice. But to her novice eyes it looked positively grand, the first creation she had dared do alone. While no goddess could hold a place in her heart as intimately as Siku and Caiyha a deep warmth had developed within her bosom for the Semele and it was to her she swore.

I shall never use my magic for battle, hunting or death. I shall use my goddess given cunning and strength for all that I seek to accomplish. Only for building and creation will I ever use this goddess granted magic. For my nest and the nests of Caiyha's creatures. she declared. She did not believe that her powers were only to be used for the greatest and grandest of creations but rather that they should only be used in the noblest of efforts. However, she was prone to such declarations of fealty and nobility, so long as they underwrote her own path to success and did not derail it. Though she had not enough sense of self-analysis to come to such a conclusion.

Lines of sweat poured over her chest and arms from the mental effort her work had just required. A fact that did not go unnoticed by the keen eyes that watched her from the catacombs wings. "Would you care for a break youngling..."

This time when Ayszel turned to the human face gazing at her reptilian one she was nodding in acceptance. A rough creak had begun in her parched throat. Rubbing the soft scaly throat she approached the man with none of the nimbleness she had done before. A soft creak was all that warned her of her miss slither.

CRASH!!

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on July 29th, 2015, 11:55 pm

The bone shattered behind her. Her body tensed as she stopped, her brow wrinkling and her tongue stock still outside her lips. Very slowly she turned her head, peeking over her shoulder. Uh oh... She whispered to herself.

Several skulls had been hanging overhead, tied into a long row with a piece of rough twine. They were set low enough that her head had brushed their dangling teeth jarring the set and unhinging the end of the rope. Coming undone, it fell with a great swoop. Fortunately, it had been high enough that only the last skull had connected soundly with the floor and shattered the rest dangled precariously.

What rock is it anyway?" She asked, as she leaned back to eye her work with a less than critical eye.

"Peridotite." He replied.

~Takes a piece for herself~

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets