Open Into the Wild [Zephari]

Door thread; this thread focuses on wilderness survival.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Into the Wild [Zephari]

Postby Kyo on October 13th, 2015, 1:22 am

Image

Too soon, the girl began to jump. Kyo felt the distinct urge to look away, as if watching her would somehow weigh her down. But he didn't dare move his eyes. If she fell he would have to follow immediately after, even if his poor swimming meant he went down along with her. He could not leave her alone in the water.

Could not leave. The last he had seen his boy was on this side of the river. Not the other. Suddenly the urge to look away --to look for something, someone else-- grew stronger. He folded a hand into a restraining fist and slopped his way down the muddy, rocky bank. Now he would have to go back up the slippery slope to get a good look around at the surrounding grass. It was better to focus on the girl. Focus on the river.

Every time she made a new leap his stomach leapt with her, waiting for her to fall. But her feet, this time, were sure enough to handle the jumps, and her hands and knees balanced enough to scoot her along the curve of the fallen log. The sight of that great dead tree reminded him again of the past, again of his boy. Of their separation. Before the need to turn back and search for his lost one was too great, he shucked his pants, molded them into a blob of material, and then shifted in a bright flickering of light that went perfectly with the glance of the sun off the rushing river.

Now he was a coyote, picking up the balled pants in his mouth. Though he was not precisely clumsy in his human-form, he was less-experienced; most of his life had been spent as an animal. His coyote-form was better, then, for what was needed now. And if he fell in the river, he felt more legs might be better for swimming.

His planned approach to crossing was much more like what the girl had done at the end, leaping seamlessly from one to the next in a fast, almost uncontrolled motion. The coyote would jump better --longer-- if he had a run-start. He scrambled back up the wet bank, no doubt brushing his belly against the mud and dirtying his paws, and then trotted back a ways. Before the girl could get too nervous that he had deserted her --before he could desert her in favor of finding his long lost boy-- he turned and started a measured run towards the river and its makeshift bridge.

At the edge of the bank he leapt, and made the first jump easily. Claws clicked against stone, though the sound of it was not audible over the rush of the water below. Without slowing, he moved and leapt to the next stone, skidding a little on mud-slick paws, but he recovered and kept going, picking up speed as he went.

As a coyote he was small compared to the giant water-soaked log; it was wide enough across to fit a human easily, and a coyote was much littler. He loped down the middle of it, the soft wood better for getting a grip, and then braced all four feet at the end and pushed off towards the last rock.

Maybe he was overconfident after clearing the others. His paws hit the stone and he expected no trouble, happy to be near the girl again and have the rest of the river behind him. But he was not paying enough attention, or maybe he was just not as good at balance as he thought. His paws, still covered in mud, hit the wet stone and he was not agile enough to stop himself from sliding right off into open air.

He had been going fast enough that his front hit the opposite bank, but his bottom half landed in the water. It was surprisingly deep and thick, trying to pull him down. His paws scrabbled against the mud, unable to get a grip, and he felt himself sinking lower, splashing around. Fear came, and he worked harder to keep himself up.

A noise soon met his ears. It was nothing like he had ever heard, a sort of beeping-bugling. In the water, something nudged his tail.

His back feet touched against a hard mass that had not been there before. There was an overpowering smell of fish. He risked a look back, and saw something large and scaled and ugly looking back at him with filmy eyes as big, no, bigger than a human's closed fists.

A fish monster, much like the monster bird.

Not thinking, he shifted back to human-form, only wanting to be bigger. Only wanting to be big enough that it might not eat him whole.

Whatever the thing was, it knew he was there and was nudging into him. Kyo dug his fingers into the bank, pulling up only handfuls of muck and sparkling rocks. "Huh-Help!" he puffed up to the girl, and she might have already been helping him for all he knew in his panic. He just wanted out of the river, now!

The fish-thing bumped him again and he beat his feet against its flat face, hoping to poke an eye, maybe get it to retreat. His floundering kicks only seemed to encourage it; now it rushed in with its full bulk, ramming him from behind, wrenching its huge, neckless head up, the thick body bending to accommodate the motion. Suddenly he was not only out of the river, he was propelled from it. He flipped up into the air, knocking into the girl, and they both flew over the edge of the bank and into the grass. They landed in a pile with a whump.

Kyo scrambled up, trying to do too many things at once. He tried to put more distance between him and the river and the thing. He tried to see if the girl was alright since they had crashed together. He tried to wipe the mud from his face-- he was absolutely covered from head to toe. He tried to empty his hands of the rocks and mud that were still clinging to them. Mostly he tried to get a good look at the thing that had thrown him from its river.

By the time he looked, though, it was already sinking back into the churning water, trumpeting once through a blow-hole in its powerful head-- or was that its back? Then it was gone. Kyo remained staring for a moment, and he thought he saw feelers and tusks sticking out of the water, looking respectively like strange rubbery reeds and pieces of submerged rock.

All he could do was turn towards the girl and look at her open-mouthed in shock. What had just happened? What was that creature? Was he still alive? And how?

Gasping, he said something much like the girl had said before: "I don't like river." Then he had to bend forward and gulp breaths and keep his head down for a moment.

OOCKinda long, but long posts are cool, right?
Image


INFOBtw: The fish-thing I imagined sort of had a body-shape like this pic Image
only it's even bulkier. It has more well-defined scales (which are a more brown-grey color), has four strong fins on the side that are like pseudo-legs that allow it to push and almost walk through heavy mud. It has sort of feeler-things on its nose/snout that it was nudging Kyo with, and rather large, hollowed tusks connected to the sides of its mouth that are upward-pointing. And its eyes are really big. And it has a blowhole because blowholes are fun (it probably breathes air).

Not that I want to be too specific or anything. :embarrassed:

And the second part of this info-thing is that I wanted to say I imagined the stones stuck to Kyo's hands as gemstones (perhaps collected and stuck into the mud by the fish-monster, hehe). I imagined them as "small" and numerous (dime-sized diameter at most) and hard and blue like sapphires, but like... real sparkly sorta like how mica is.


Image
User avatar
Kyo
--
 
Posts: 310
Words: 329310
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Location: Endrykas
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Into the Wild [Zephari]

Postby Zephari on October 14th, 2015, 9:37 am

Image
It'll be too soon if i ever seen a river again. was the first though that popped into Zephari's mind when Kyo jumped onto the bank, but was quickly attacked by the monstrous fish. Her immediate reaction was to reach for her pick, and swing at the creature. However her mind quickly changed as she saw that it was trying to seemingly bash Kyo into the side of the river, so instead she instead planted her pick in the muddy bank and reach out to grab kyo and pull him out of the river.

But the fish monster did that for her. One good bash sent both her and Kyo flying out of the river, landing hard on the grass edge of river. Pain in her chest from the landing further brought memories of her previous experience in this river back into thought. "That is one seriously territorial fish. Let not linger here long, I want to get to shelter fast. And you have some explaining to do." she said sternly to her companion.

This time she took his hand, because she could see that back in the direction they had fled from, the gigantic bird was still circling. And it's circle of flight was getting wider. Not carring that he did not have his pants back on yet, she set off at a fast jog toward the cliffs. The cliff were much higher than what she remembered, but they were still the same cliffs, the same layout. Good, the steep enclosed gully should still be there then, back where I met Akilah. After fourty strides or so, she let Kyo's hand go, but did not slow her pace, as she knew the Kelvic would have no problem keeping up with her.

Zephari kept her eyes open for any other gigantic monsters that probably inhabited this version of riverfall. Her breath eventually ran out as they got about half way to the cliffs, so she slowed to a fast walk, keeping her knees bent down slightly so that her head was below the top of the long grass. Running through this thick tall grass was very difficult and made progress painfully slow.

Wracking her mind to figure out what exactly was going on with all of this. Was it a hallucination, or maybe a dream? Zephari had never had dreams this vivid, and she had hallucinated before due to dehydration back in Eyktol, but this was far too clear, and she was able to think clearly. No there was only one thing that made any sense, not that it made much sense to her. Magic. This was the exact reason that she always mistrusted and disliked magic. It was always causing problems for people, and this was an extreme example.

The grass started to thin down as they neared the coast, letting Zephari pick up her speed again. Now visibly sweating, she made a be-line for the canyon that lead down towards the coast. It wasn't as deep as normal, but was still very thin and a good hundred feet deep at it's deepest. More importantly the overhang at the bottom was still there. In fact it was much larger. Alright Kyo, just a little farther" she said, pointing down to the overhang that she was want to go to.

InfoThe type of stone you would me thinking of is azurite or malachite. Both of those can be very blue, and have that type of highly reflective sparkle. Also love the gigantic fish monster, bring up memories of when I used to go fishing with my grandpa. We used to catch white sturgeon, which were perfectly capable of doing exactly what happened to Kyo. Also long posts are kinda my thing. I mean just look at my first post in this thread.

Sorry if this seemed a little rushed, but Zephari isn't the type to doddle around while running from gigantic monsters.


This is the color of speech.
This is the color of others speech.
This is the color of thought.
Image
Image
User avatar
Zephari
The Collector
 
Posts: 161
Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Location: Endrykas
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Into the Wild [Zephari]

Postby Kyo on October 15th, 2015, 7:10 am

Image

"That is one seriously territorial fish. Let not linger here long, I want to get to shelter fast. And you have some explaining to do."

Kyo was still gasping on his knees, facing towards the river as if to watch for another attack, though none came. Her words flickered over his ears, and the last part --you have some explaining to do-- confused him. What did he have to explain?

He wasn't able to sort through the confusion, though; Zephari grabbed him by the hand and pulled him up onto his feet, dragging him along much like he had dragged her through the city before. He had barely enough time to snatch the crumpled, muddied pants from the edge of the river before she hauled him away. He jogged after her, keeping up, keeping close, looking over his shoulder and around, always watching now, looking for the next threat. He was certain that there would be another. Perhaps many.

He tried not to let his mind tell him that his boy might already have been gobbled up by some too-big creature. All he could do was follow the girl, first at a trot and then at a brisk walk, and strain his eyes in every direction, hoping to catch a glimpse of the gangly, too-thin figure he had seen in the city before.

Then it struck him. They had gone through the gates and ended up in this place. What if his boy had gone through the gates and ended up somewhere else? Could something like that happen? Could one door take different people different places...?

Yes, it could. Because before today, the gates would have brought him where they were supposed to. And now they didn't anymore.

Suddenly he was certain that his boy was someplace else. Not here. Like always, his boy was far away from him.

In his worry he hadn't realized the girl had let go of his hand, but now he tugged at her arm to get her attention. "Hey! We need to... to find more gates, yes? Find gates, find home." He needed to get back to the city, and then go through the door again and go to wherever his lost boy had ended up.

But then he stopped talking, stuck. Where would they find a door out here, when there was no city? Yet he knew that was the way to get back. It had to be! It was the only thing that made sense to him. Go through a door to get here, go through a door to get back.

But where to find such a thing? And how to find it before something else --something worse-- came?

Abruptly there was a clap of thunder.

At the sound, Kyo yelped and flinched down as if expecting to be struck. From his ducked position, he saw the giant bird far off in the sky stutter in flight as it met an oppressive wind. Then it recovered, wheeling around, rising higher, higher, avoiding a boiling black mass of clouds that had appeared at the horizon, quickly drawing near.

Wind hit the girl and coyote-man in a rush, more than strong enough to push the grass flat; strong enough, almost, to push Kyo flat. Good thing they both were already bending forward, or they might have been blown right off their feet, tumbling down into the canyon like dead, blown leaves.

The black clouds filled the sky, covering the sun, and suddenly it was like twilight. A sheet of warm rain pummeled down, slanting in from the side, hammering them, and the only good thing about it was that it slicked the mud from Kyo's skin. Lightning lashed between clouds, seemingly malignant, searching for the giant bird to strike, but the bird had vanished, flying up above the storm.

Kyo feared thunder storms more than anything else. Anything, except being unwillingly separated from the ones he loved.

As soon as he thought it, another lance of wind struck him, and he nearly flew from his feet as if the wind wished to pick him up and... what? What happened when the wind was strong enough to drag you up into the sky?

He didn't want to find out. With one hand he reached out and gripped the girl's forearm, maybe to anchor himself, maybe to make sure she wouldn't just suddenly fly off into the storm. "Shelter!" he yelled, pointing where she had pointed before, still able to make out the shape of the overhang despite how hard it was now for him to see. He could barely keep his eyes squinted open against the blasts of wind and water.

There was nothing to do but to start plowing his way through the storm, one arm swiping at the wet, angry air as if to pull himself through, much like swimming. He made sure to always keep his grip on the girl. He was irrationally frightened of the storm, as if it might manage to take her away from him. To separate them, and make them both lost before they could find their way out of this horrible, nonsensical place.

Image
User avatar
Kyo
--
 
Posts: 310
Words: 329310
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Location: Endrykas
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests