(Flashback) Bad News

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 27th, 2010, 5:49 am

22 Summer in the Year 505 AV

Silwyn felt alone now that she was left to tend to Anhasha's abode while she was away gathering berries for their dyes. Silwyn sighed as she let the water on the stove get to a rolling boil before dropping some ivy twigs inside.

The water was steaming hot, and the steam rose up around Silwyn's nose as she stood over it, mixing the mixture slightly with a large wooden spoon. The ivy twigs, which were finely chopped, swirled around in the mixture. Silwyn sighed, hoping that she was doing everything right, and the yellow-brown dye mixture would be more than ready by the time Anhasha returned from her travels.

Other than the low bubbling noise the water made as it continued to boil, the apartment was far too quiet for Silwyn's liking. She stirred the pot absentmindedly, wondering what was taking Anhasha so darn long, she'd been gone for two days now, and it wasn't that Silwyn was worried about her, she knew her teacher could care for herself and should be back soon enough, it was just that she hated the quiet, and desperately wanted her teacher to come back and fill the silence with tales of her childhood and knowledge of the natural dyeing craft.
Last edited by Silwyn on November 28th, 2010, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 28th, 2010, 12:35 am

Sick of the silence, Silwyn decided that she'd leave the pot for a moment and muse over her teacher's guide to natural dyeing herbs- essentially, a giant handbook containing all of her teacher's knowledge of the dyeing craft, that she had recorded herself. It was always left open on the table in the main room of their apartment.

The book was hundreds of pages and bound in leather. Her teacher's hand was curly and sophisticated, easy to read for the most part, the black ink sunk deeply into the worn pale yellow pages of the book.

Silwyn flipped to a section in the back and read-

Shades of yellow can be made by: saffron stigmas. (A stigma being the part of a pistil that receives the pollen). Saffron is a spice that is derived from the saffron crocus flower. The flower bears three stigmas, each the distal end of a carpel. Together with their styles—stalks that connect stigmas to their host plant—stigmas are dried and used in cooking and as a dye.

Saffron is an autumn-flowering perennial plant.

Being sterile, the plant's purple flowers fail to produce viable seeds; reproduction depends on human assistance: corms, underground bulb-like starch-storing organs, must be dug up, broken apart, and replanted. A corm survives for one season, reproducing via this division into up to ten "cormlets" that yield new plants. Corms are small brown globules up to 4.5 centimetres (1.8 in) in diameter and are shrouded in a dense mat of parallel fibers.

After aestivating in spring, the plant sends up five to eleven narrow and nearly vertical green leaves, each up to 40 cm (16 in) in length. In autumn, purple buds appear. Only in October, after most other flowering plants have released their seeds, do its brilliantly hued flowers develop; they range from a light pastel shade of lilac to a darker and more striated mauve. Upon flowering, plants average less than 30 cm (12 in) in height. A three-pronged style emerges from each flower. Each prong terminates with a vivid crimson stigma 25–30 mm (0.98–1.2 in) in length.

The plants fare poorly in shady conditions; they grow best in strong sunlight. Planting is thus best done in fields that slope towards the sunlight, maximizing sun exposure.

An image of the flower was shown at the end. Her teacher must have drawn it in, Silwyn thought to herself as she got back up to check on the dye mixture. She stirred it absent-mindedly some more, before returning to the table which held Anhasha's book.

OOC: I refer to wikipedia for this information
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 28th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Silwyn stared down at the text-filled pages, but for whatever reason, didn't seem able to internalize the words. Sometimes, they seemed as though they were sinking into the pages, at others, jumping off of it and out at her, swirling around her like an angry black word whirlwind.

Frustrated, she shut her eyes as tightly as she could and covered her ears with her hands. Her face was scrunched up, which probably made it look as though Silwyn were imitating a rather wrinkled old woman. It's ok, nothing's wrong, the text in this book isn't trying to kill me she said to herself as she overheard the pot bubbling and quickly got up to go check on it.

Afraid that it may boil over, she chose to turn off the heat and started to mix the pot's contents again. She sighed heavily, today is so not my day, she thought to herself. Anhasha is going to be so disappointed if I mess this up, better stand over the darn thing, she thought.

But for once, her heart wasn't really in what she was doing, she absentmindedly stirred the mixture and watched as the bubbling in the water decreased and then stopped completely. Silwyn watched as the steam that once encircled the pot in a protective misty blanket disappeared altogether. Must be cooling off pretty rapidly, she thought to herself.

Silwyn stuck the ring finger of her right hand in the mixture as she extracted the mixing spoon. The water was tepid. Silwyn rolled up her sleeves, time to get those ivy twigs out the mixture, she thought. Slowly, Silwyn pulled all the ivy twigs out of the water in her right hand, and placed them in her left palm. When she was absolutely certain she had gotten them all, she threw them away in the bin, and dried her hands off with a piece of cloth.

Silwyn clutched her now pale golden right hand to her forehead to steady herself. "That was surprisingly tiring," she said. Deciding that since everything was now done, she should be able to take a short rest, she curled up in her usual spot and fell asleep.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 28th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Silwyn wasn't sure of how long she had spent asleep, all she knew was that she dreamt, and in her dream she wasn't an avora, she wasn't even human, she was a fly. A fly on the wall. Yes, one of those irritating creatures with 6 legs, far too many eyes to count, and an annoying buzzing noise when flying by another organism's ear.

Anyway, she was a little fly on the wall in someone's apartment. She wasn't sure who the apartment belonged to, just that it appeared to belong to both a man and a woman, or at least, one member of each gender was present as far as she could tell from their voices. They were arguing about something. Yelling back and forth about how annoying the other was.

"I hate you!" the woman screamed and something crashed on the floor making a loud boom. "Well I don't like you either!" the male voice shouted back and something made of glass shattered on the floor. "Look what you did!" the woman screamed.

Silwyn buzzed into the room, there was indeed a man and a woman. The woman was short, maybe five feet, and had emerald green eyes, pale skin, and fiery red hair. The male was taller, maybe 5'9, had tanned skin, dark colored eyes, and dark brown hair. He had stooped over and was trying to pick up all the broken shards of glass.

"What are you doing?" the woman yelled as he picked up the larger pieces first and threw them away, before bending over and picking up slightly smaller ones. "What does it look like I'm doing?" he asked her, as she simply stared at him, eyes wide, in disbelief.

There was a sudden knock on the door. But none of the figures turned to face the door which was to their left. That's odd Silwyn thought. The knocking only got louder, and louder, more impatient sounding.

Silwyn's dream vision became blurrier and blurrier. She was no longer in her dream world. She was no longer a fly on the wall, she was a human inarta again, who had fallen asleep in her teacher's abode. Someone was knocking rather angrily on the door. "Silwyn!" she heard a male's voice.

Silwyn sat up and rubbed the sleep crystals from her eyes with both hands as the pounding continued. "Silwyn!" the voice said again. Silwyn got up abruptly, "coming!" she called as she walked over to the door and opened it to reveal a troubled-looking man who she assumed was an eagle rider given his dress. "Can I help you?" she asked.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 28th, 2010, 6:52 pm

An man of about five feet and eight inches stood before her. He had short spiked burgundy-colored hair, a large red cut above his right eye, that extended slightly below it as well, and another that cut diagonally across his left arm. It looked like they had been created recently. He was fairly muscular, and had pale skin. His eyes were a deep blue like the sea, and his lips were a bright fiery red, and were rather chapped. He seemed troubled to Silwyn.

"I'm Lucas," the man said.

Silwyn didn't recognize the name, even so, she didn't want to seem rude, so she waved the man inside and shut the door behind him. "Please don't mind the mess," she began, as she took an embarrassed look around the room, her cheek's turning red. "You can have a seat at the table if you'd like."

Lucas seemed grateful, and took a seat at the table Silwyn was gesturing towards. "Would you like something to drink?" Silwyn asked. Lucas simply shook his head, which Silwyn didn't mind, it was one less thing she had to do.

Silwyn then took a seat across from Lucas at the table, "so what brings you here Lucas?" she asked.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 28th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Lucas' forehead was dripping with sweat. He obviously seemed uncomfortable. His face was etched with creases, making it seem as though he was carefully considering how he should proceed.

Something's wrong, Silwyn thought, something is really really wrong. It takes a lot to shake an eagle rider, doesn't it?

"I hate to tell you this..." Lucas' voice trailed off into the thick air between them. "Tell me what?" Silwyn inquired.

The sweat atop the man's forehead continued to drip steadily down his face. Silwyn got up and fetched a clean cloth, and handed it to him saying, "to clean yourself off." Lucas simply nodded, pressing the cloth to his forehead in order to soak up the sweat, it didn't seem to do much good to Silwyn.

Soon, the man's face may be as red as his hair. She smiled weakly at him, "it's ok, you can take your time and tell me whenever you're ready, there's no rush, and it's quite obvious that you're a little worked up. Sure you don't want any water or anything?"

Lucas nodded again and wrung his fingers together, resting his hands on the table.
Last edited by Silwyn on November 29th, 2010, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 28th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Lucas sighed heavily, and looked down at his hands, something was obviously troubling him, Silwyn thought. "Silwyn," he began, there was a long pause, "Anhasha's dead."

Silwyn's heart skipped a few beats. Her chest felt tight and heavy, her breath caught in her throat, and when she managed to remember how to breath properly once more, she coughed in order to get it all out. Time seemed to stop. The air in the room seemed thick and heavy. Everything seemed so very far away.

All the blood in Silwyn's face rushed out of it. It ran away. Silwyn didn't know where it went. Her eyes bugged out and she felt dizzy and weak. Her world was spinning out of control. Surely her teacher couldn't be dead, she was too young to die, wasn't she?

"Silwyn? You ok?" Lucas asked as he got up and rushed over to her. He stood behind her. "Yeah, I'm fine," she said, even though she wasn't. Her teacher just couldn't be dead. She wouldn't accept that.

Then Silwyn passed out, and everything was a giant black swirl.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 29th, 2010, 1:38 am

When Silwyn awoke, what she assumed to be a few minutes later, Lucas was kneeling beside her body. She was lying on the floor. She must have fallen out of her chair at the news, Silwyn thought to herself, as she brought her hand to her head, and her stomach lurched at the memory; Anhasha was dead.

There was a worried look upon Lucas' face, "you ok?" he asked her, as Silwyn slowly sat up. "Yeah," she replied weakly, as Lucas handed her a glass full of water and told her to drink.

Silwyn sipped the water slowly, she wasn't thirsty, and all the water was doing was adding to the already large clump in her throat. Anhasha's dead. I'm alone. Anhasha's dead. Anhasha's dead. Anhasha's dead. Anhasha's dead, her mind kept screaming. Silwyn closed her eyes trying to shut it all out. "She's not dead!" Silwyn screamed, apparently out loud, and not simply in her head as intended.

Lucas, startled, moved away from her a little, before patting her knee. "I'm afraid she is Silwyn, I know it's hard and everything, it's not like..."

Silwyn cut him off, "how'd she die?" she asked, her lips trembling, her hands shaking as she held the glass of water. Afraid she'd spill it all over herself, she put the glass down next to her, as Lucas sighed heavily. Did he want to share? she wondered.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 29th, 2010, 3:17 am

"I'm not entirely sure," Lucas began. "What do you mean?" Silwyn asked. "Well, you see, me and the other eagle riders, well..." his voice trailed off, and he scratched the back of his head with his left hand. "You see.... we kind of, well, lost sight of Anhasha for a few minutes."

Silwyn glared at him. "Lost sight of her?" Silwyn said angrily. Lucas continued to scratch his head, "we were all walking together for a while, and were talking about some things, when someone realized she wasn't there anymore."

"How could you not realize she wasn't there?" Silwyn yelled.

Lucas just stared at her, as Silwyn's face grew hot, and red, perhaps he was waiting for her to calm down. "Well, get on with it," she said through gritted teeth, her eyes blazing, as though a fire had been lit beneath them.

Lucas gulped. Silwyn was not someone you wanted to piss off.

"As I was saying," he began, before giving her a nasty glare, "before you interrupted me," it was then Silwyn glared at him, willing her eyes to pierce his very flesh, as he continued, "as soon as we realized Anhasha was missing, we split up and went looking for her."

"It took us a good hour, but I finally found her," Lucas continued, "a strange-looking man was standing over her and her brother, breathing heavily. He was holding a bloody knife in his right hand."

Silwyn gasped, who on earth would want to kill her teacher, of all people? And her brother on top of that, that just made everything worse, and Silwyn's stomach somersaulted.

"What did he look like?" she asked.
Silwyn

(Flashback) Bad News

Postby Silwyn on November 29th, 2010, 4:39 am

Lucas looked at her, seeming to question her motives, whether or not he should tell her. Eventually, he simply shrugged his shoulders and said, "he was tall, maybe six feet. He had coal-black eyes, and black hair to match. He had bloody red lips and a twisted smile."

Silwyn simply nodded. "What else?" she asked. "He had very tan skin, and a large pointy nose. He was very muscular, and wore only a pair of black pants and leather boots. He was definitely not one of us."

Silwyn simply nodded, crossing her arms over her chest. "He had long pointy teeth as well," Lucas added. Silwyn raised one of her eyebrows, "that all?" she asked.

Lucas nodded. "So what happened to this mysterious killer?" Silwyn asked. Lucas looked down at the floor, and then away from her. "Lucas," she began, "what happened?"

He looked up at her again, and said, "he got away." Silwyn's mouth hung open. She was shocked, saddened, frustrated and angry, all at the same time. Her hands turned into fists.

"Get out," she said, as she rose to her feet. Silwyn now towered over Lucas.

"Excuse me?" he said. Silwyn gritted her teeth, "you heard me, get out." Lucas didn't move. Silwyn grabbed his right bicep and pulled him to his feet. She started to push him towards the door.

Startled, Lucas said, "Silwyn, I know you're angry but..." Silwyn wouldn't hear it, and Lucas wasn't fighting her too hard, he could tell that she was devastated. So Silwyn pushed him out the door, and slammed it shut behind him.

As soon as he was out of sight, Silwyn sank to the floor, her back resting against the wooden door. She curled her knees into her chest, and rested her head in her knees, and started to cry uncontrollably. Salty tears sank into her clothes, as she continued to cry and make pitiful sniffling noises.

Silwyn's world had officially fallen apart- Anhasha had been brutally murdered. For what seemed to be in cold blonde, by some mysterious figure, who just so happened to get away. Silwyn sobbed some more before sitting up, a few tears lingering in her ducts, another few dripping down her face; she wiped them away with the back of her hand.

Anhasha's dead, she thought. I can't believe it. My teacher, is dead. The thought swirled around over and over in her head. And I don't even know who did it. She sniffed. But I can promise you, anyone who may be listening, that if I ever found out who did this, I will kill them, even if I have to do it with my bare hands.
Silwyn

Next