Closed Nature is a Fickle Beast

Bakar attempts to explore nature for the first time since arriving in Syliras

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Bakar on September 21st, 2015, 12:14 am

I promise I'm not that scary..

The horse man lived here? Bakar had heard that the woods were very dangerous, yet people live out here? The revelation shocked Bakar to the point where she didn't notice that Beodan was reaching for her, asking if she was okay. Before she could stop him, he had already placed his hand on her head, and pulled it away.

"You.. You need help, fast," He sounded mortified, and Bakar knew what he had found, as he attempted to check her pulse. Genuine concern came from his voice as he spoke. "How are you alive?!" Well, concern, but mostly shock. Hiding the truth was something that was beyond possible now. Beodan already knew that there was something wrong.

Bakar lay silently, brushing the dirt around her hand, studying it intently, watching how it moved and rolled with her fingers. Anything to avoid eye contact with the man. A second of silence turned to a moment. A moment to what seemed an immeasurable amount of time. In reality, it was little more than a chime, but to Bakar it was much, much longer.

Breaking the silence was the words that Bakar loathed to utter. "I.. I'm not." She clenched her fists, taking up a handful of the dirt. Tiny pebbles forced their way between her fingers, along with bits of earth. She spoke quietly, and insisted on continuing to study the dirt. She closed her eyes as a wave of convulsions racked her body. Too much magic. She clenched them tighter as a sharp stab pierced her head, behind her eye. Migraine.

He offered a place to rest. But did that offer still extend to the undead? As much as she had missed being close to the earth, she now remembered how hard and uncomfortable it was. "R-rest.. rest would be great." She shuddered as she attempted to rise, again. More success this time. She was on her knees, but still refused eye contact, fearful of the inevitable look of horror or disgust. "Y-you can leave me here if you wish.. but if the offer still stands, you may show me the way.." She rose to her feet shakily, using the tree to lean against.

Staring at her feet, she awaited a response. She reached for her flute, and held it to her chest. She would hear either a voice or steps leaving her alone in the woods. Why do you always do this? You're weak, and the only thing that's keeping you here is the kindness of strangers. You're a parasite in more ways than one. Horrid thoughts returned as she realized her vulnerability. Her body tightened and she hugged her flute closer to her chest. She didn't know what to do.
Last edited by Bakar on September 26th, 2015, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Words: 136278
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Beodan Clathony on September 21st, 2015, 2:12 am

Beodan watch in silence, holding his breath unconsciously. Bakar was not answering right away, instead she looked at the earth covering her hand as if it was the most interesting thing beneath these woods. The gap in talking stretched long, threatening to snap on the kelvic. He had opened his mouth to change the subject, when she murmured, “I.. I'm not." Oh, of course! How had he not considered that? Well, there was just one symptom that did not fit with her diagnosis; the whole living thing. A thousand questions went through his head. Did she need to eat, or breath, or sleep? How did this happen? How was her brain still working, unless this was proof of a separate soul and mind?

The Herbalist finally nodded in answer to her rather weighty statement, then shook his head after a tick. “With all due respect, you don’t look very dead?” Dan offered, unsure of that judgement, “I mean, if you were, how would you move? I’m not an expert on people, more of plants and people kind of thing, but dead muscle is poisoned, and can’t move. And if your heart can’t beat…” he trailed off into inaudible mutterings. He could not make heads nor tails of this. His mentor had not told him he might have to treat people that were already dead! Or, half dead. Mostly dead? Whatever! He would be sure to ask her once she was willing and able to answer. A jerk against his foot roused him from his thoughts. She was convulsing. Again, unheard of in something long dead, but he tried not to let his past teachings interrupt what was happening right in front of him. He grabbed her wrist lightly, but firmly, and set a hand on her opposite shoulder to restrict her movement.

Sighing with relief, he released her. The convulsions had soon subsided. For some reason, he did not think the convulsions had anything to do with her being dead. Still, this turn of events had his brow frozen in a state of concern. Extreme fatigue and muscle convulsions. "R-rest.. rest would be great,” Bakar breathed, trembling as she got to her knees. Her head was still between her arms, as if the will required to lift it would distract her from remaining off the ground. He gave her a small smile, she had accepted his help. His expression quickly melted into fear as she tried to stand. “Y-you can leave me here if you wish.. but if the offer still stands, you may show me the way.." He was shocked that she was able to rise unassisted. He held his hands out, just behind her back, in case she fell. He was ready to catch her. “Of course it still stands, your condition has not changed. It’s just.. a bit more complicated now,” he reaffirmed, pressing his hand to her back comfortingly.

Bakar looked unsteady, so he told her, “I’m going to carry you alright? And no buts! You look dead on your feet. ... Heh, sorry!” Beodan gave her a little chuckle, and gently swept her off of her feet. “Hold onto my neck as best you can, saves my arms for when I need them. Thank you!” With that, he set off through the woods towards his abode. It was odd, holding someone so obviously alive, with hopes and dreams, and yet have them be as cold as death. The rest of their journey, about 10 chimes, passed in silence. Not really a comfortable, or awkward silence. Just silence, a void of sound. He stepped into his clearing, and stopped at the entrance to his tent. “Here we are! Home sweet home. Please, sit on the couch and rest, I’ll make some tea. Er, you can drink tea, right?” he asked, holding open the tent flap with a hand.

OOC :
The is a drawing of Beodan’s abode under the “Housing” section of my CS. Look at it if you want a better idea of how to describe things.
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Words: 228292
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2015, 9:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Bakar on September 21st, 2015, 4:06 pm

The man held her down as the magic and weakness took it's toll. It frightened her at first, until she realized he was trying to help. Beodan didn't really seem to understand the situation they were in, but he was still willing to help. In fact, he insisted on helping. Before she could react, he picked her up, and asked her to hold on to his neck. Too weak to resist, she did as she was told. She very well may have been being carried to her death.

The trip was silent. Bakar was weak, but not tired. She wished she could sleep, but she knew that wasn't going to happen. I could.. I could drain myself. That would make me sleep.. She had never thought of it before. If some of her ichor was missing, she'd be put into a deep sleep. Any wounds wouldn't heal though.. extracting it with a syringe might work, but that would only extract a little. I'd need to have several extraction points if I wanted to drain myself for any real effect.

She spent most of the trip deep in thought, forgetting that she was even in possible, grave danger. It was only when Beodan spoke that she remembered her circumstance. They had arrived at his tent. She loosened her arms from his neck and carefully slid down. She made her way, slowly, to the couch. Taking small, concentrated steps. As she reached the edge, she dropped herself down heavily onto it.

"Tea? N-no.. No thank you." It was kind of him to offer, though. She looked around the tent, amazed that people did indeed live out here. There were plants hanging around the interior. A bed, couch, desk and a few shelves were placed around as well. It didn't look like the home of a murderer. "Some people wouldn't consider killing you murder though.." Bakar whispered to herself quietly, still an old habit.

"J-just rest it what I need. Just.. need to sit for a moment, th-thank you." She leaned back and rested her head on the couch, closing her eyes. "I appreciate your concern.. and hospitality. B-but there's really nothing that can be done, save for time and patience. I am immensely sorry for concerning you." Bakar winced as another wave of pain ran through her head. Too weak and pained to continue talking, she simply sit, impossibly still. Not even the expansion of her now missing lungs. She did, however give a smile as this thought passed her mind. To anyone looking on, she really would look quite dead.
Last edited by Bakar on September 26th, 2015, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Beodan Clathony on September 21st, 2015, 11:35 pm

“Alright. I’ll put on a pot for myself, so if you change your mind..” Beodan left open, lighting the two lamps in the room, and setting a kettle full of water onto the one that sat on his desk. The rooms was cast in a comfortable, warm, flickering light. The familiar atmosphere put him at ease, relaxing any tension he had as a result from the surprises the day had brought. "I appreciate your concern.. and hospitality,” he stopped staring into space to look at her. Her eyes were closed and she appeared to be comfortable. He let her continue, listening intently, “B-but there's really nothing that can be done, save for time and patience. I am immensely sorry for concerning you." He nodded, even though he knew she could not see the gesture. Hopefully he took his silence as acceptance.

Bubbles formed at the base of the kettle as Dan’s gaze danced between Bakar’s facial features. A twinge of pain, and a smile seconds later were the only clues that assured him that he did not have a dead woman on his couch. Despite her assurances, the wince made him uneasy. His voice soft and deep, he asked, “Would you like something to take away the pain? If it’s bothering you that is.” He did not require a response, it was only an option for her. He walked to his shelveset and fingered the vials on the top. Precious extracts, salves, and macerations. Many bells had gone into every vial, it filled him with a sense of pride to use even just a drop of one and see it succeed in its purpose. After all, what good were they just sitting on a shelf to rot?

Chimes later, the smell of peppermint filled the air as the steaming water was poured carefully over a collection of leaves at the base of his mug. Dan watched pensively as the tea turned a darker and darker amber. Could this girl live forever? Was there a downside to her condition? The advantages certainly were tempting. And if it was that or death… Well, no contest! He wondered if that happened to him, he would still be able to shift? Or would the mimic die when he did. He would wait for her to answer him of her own accord. Sip.
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Bakar on September 22nd, 2015, 12:51 am

He put on a pot of tea for himself. "Oh, how I'd love some.. but I can not. I am sorry.." She had forgotten what it was like to eat and drink. But without the proper bodily functions, it was more than unnecessary, it could be dangerous. With no where for the food or drink to go, it would sit and fester inside of her. With the food rotting, it gave entry to a host of molds and that could damage the body.

"Something for the pain? Mm.. That would be nice. I must once again, decline, however. I.. I don't think your medicines would work on me. The pain is caused by no wound, and ingesting things is.. beyond me. I thank you, however, for the offer." She opened her eyes for a moment, to see Beodan examining various vials atop a shelf. He had told her earlier he was a herbalist. "D-did you make those?" She asked, trying to make conversation, but genuinely curious, resting her head back against the couch.

Boiling water interrupted as Beodan poured it into his mug. The smell in the air was heavenly, and Bakar felt a pang of jealousy for the young man. To drink again, Bakar would give more than a little of anything she could. She steeled herself, before opening her eyes and making eye contact for the first time since collapsing.

A kind face. He looked honestly concerned for her well being. She tried to imagine how it would feel to have someone fall over in front of you, then to find out that they are dead, but not really. Before she changed, she would be mortified. She would run and hide. And if she were to tell anyone, they would call her crazy. But here, it had happened to this poor man, and he just took it in stride.

"The vials.." She turned her attention back to them, curious as to their contents. "What are they?"
Last edited by Bakar on September 26th, 2015, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Beodan Clathony on September 22nd, 2015, 3:39 am

“The pain is caused by no wound, and ingesting things is.. beyond me. I thank you, however, for the offer,” Bakar responded, to which Beodan nodded, his back still turned away. “Oh! So you don’t eat? Fascinating!” he exclaimed, intrigue twinkling in his chocolate orbs. Growing serious, he amended, “Not to be insensitive. The lack of herbs would literally take my passion from me.” He dropped to a murmur, more asking himself than her, “How does she keep going if she doesn’t eat?” Without food, her body would not be able to heal. Or walk for that matter! Rigor mortis would set in, the lack of heart the most important factor for that. She was heavy when he carried her, at least heavier than he would have expected. There must be something keeping her together.

“What, these?” Dan asked, picking up a vial and shaking it gently, “Yes, I did. Well, most
of them, a few were made by Sahfri at Stormhold Salves, or some of my other like minded friends. But for all the rest, I made them myself.” He set the vial back with care, giving them a fond glance before approaching her, a cup of tea in hand. He sat down next to her and mimicked her posture, his head resting against the plush back and his arms laying by his sides, one with a cup of tea with steam slowly curling towards the ceiling clutched loosely between his fingers. He looked at her and gave her a small smile. She looked back! For the longest time, even back in the clearing, he had not seen her gaze directed at him. He took it as a sign that she did not mind his company. “The vials, what are they?”

“Mmm? Right, yes. Well, all sorts of things. Most of the clearer ones are herbal oils, Goldenseal, Rosemary, Chickweed, Blackberry, Connal, Belltor.. things like that. The few opaque ones are salves, Comfrey Root, Eucalyptus and Clove, and a few other experimental ones. The rest, the sort of particle filled ones are tinctures, by far the majority. Just name an herb, and it can be submerged in water. Wait a few weeks, and maybe add more herbs, and then you have a concentrated extract of the herb, especially if you let it evaporate a bit in the sun after it is finished. That ruins some of them though, so you have to be careful!” The Kelvic Herbalist explained at length, bringing one of each type to her in turn to examine. “I’m not boring you, am I? I just really like what I do is all.”
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Bakar on September 22nd, 2015, 5:42 pm

Fascinating? It stung for a moment. He didn't say it to be mean, but it stung none the less. He heard Beodan muttering, as she strained to hear. He was curious. She wished she could explain, but she honestly didn't know how it worked herself. She kept silent, and didn't reply to his inquiry.

Beodan had indeed made most of the contents of the vials, but not all. Some where made by his friends, and someone named Sahfri. He sat down beside, resting his head like she had, and smiled at her. He really didn't seem to mind the fact he had a dead woman on his couch.

He then went into detail about the contents of the vials. Oils, salves, tinctures. All made from various plants and herb. Bakar didn't recognize any of the names. Beodan was quite knowledgeable about plants and their uses. He told her about how you can get a extract by placing herbs in water, and letting them sit for a few weeks. You can evaporate some in the sun, but not others. Sometime more herbs are added. It seemed a very complicated profession..

"N-no, no! Not at all. It's quite fascinating.. I didn't realize that there were so many plants that could be so helpful.." She took a close look at each vial as it was presented. Of various colours and viscosity. He clearly took pride in what he did. "You.. you like your job, don't you? It's.. a lot more pleasant than mine.." It was more of a question for her, than him. It was obvious he did, just from how he got excited talking about it.

"What do you mean, 'experimental ones'? A-and.. d-do... do you have any herbs that are soaking right now? I.. I'd like to see them.. i-if you don't mind.." She averted her gaze again, embarrassed for asking.
Last edited by Bakar on September 26th, 2015, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Beodan Clathony on September 23rd, 2015, 11:51 pm

“I didn't realize that there were so many plants that could be so helpful," Bakar observed, looking through the vials just as Beodan watched her expression eagerly. He was happy to see a spark of interest in her eyes. Her interest in his work affirmed he gushed, “Right? There is a whole world of them! Can you imagine how many people you could save with just the plant life around Syliras? Though, a lot of plants are pretty useless for an herbalist. They either don’t have the right properties, or aren’t powerful enough to be worth harvesting.” He took a long sip of the strongly scented tea and set it aside. “Oh? What’s your job, then?” he asked, wondering what an undead like her would choose to fill her time with. “And my job involves a fair amount of dirt and cuts if you aren’t careful. You have to get close to nature if you want to get anywhere!”

"What do you mean, 'experimental ones'? A-and.. d-do... do you have any herbs that are soaking right now? I.. I'd like to see them.. i-if you don't mind,” the timeless girl asked, her downcast eyes missing Dan’s wide grin. He placed the vial he had retrieved back on the shelf in exchange for two jars. He uncapped them and held them out to her one at a time. “Well, you see, salves are usually a mixture of different things. My mentor taught me a lot of specific mixtures, but I like to create my own blends too. Smell!” he explained, miming picking out lots of different ingredients. The first made the nose crinkle as if you were inhaling cold air, largely peppermint oil and other things that burnt. “That will soothe aches and pains,” he said, then continued thoughtfully, “You know, rubbing salves might work on you too! You don’t have to eat anything, it just seeps into your skin and affects the nerves and muscles. And since you have a brain, it should abate the pain!”

The other smelled much like dried grass, and seemed to be a more brownish paste. “That one is composed of herbs, and less oils, so it tends to be a bit more.. ah, colorful smelling!” the Herbalist described with a sheepish smile at her. He frowned, “This one may or may not work on you. It should heal wounds nicely, a generally spread that does everything from sterilize the wound, clotting the blood, to making sure it does not scar once mended.” He whispered conspiratorially, “That one is probably the most expensive salve I could sell. It has so many herbs, and only the most precious and perfect parts of those that are tedious to gather. Oil from petals, inner stem lining, new leaves, things like that.”
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Bakar on September 24th, 2015, 8:42 pm

It was a shame that this profession involved cuts. Dirt she didn't mind, but the cuts wouldn't go away. Then again, she did have an accident at her own job, so it's not like that was any safer. He asked about her job, and she nervously twiddled her thumbs. "M-my job.. I work at the.. M-mortuary.. wh-where we provide burial and cremation services as well as autopsies.." She spoke quietly, not really wanting to be heard, or say more. She was a little envious of Beodan and his job. It must be pleasant to be able to work with the earth..

He returned the latest vial to it's position on the shelf, and brought two jars to Bakar. He told her this salve, and how it was used to minimize pain. But the part that really surprised her was the fact that it was neither ingested no used for open wounds. It simply went into the skin, and affected the nerves. She turned to him incredulously. Did such things really exist? He was smiling, and looked quite excited.

She nervously smelled the jar, and was hit with a wave of chills. It was more pleasant than just being cold, however. She pulled her clothes tighter, but smiled to the jar softly. "That's.. incredible.." She said quietly. She would have to look into these "salves" more.

The next was a brown paste with a more earthy smell, but not unpleasant. It was certainly colourful. Earthy smells was something she realized she missed, and was instantly reminded of a warm day after rainful. The smell that wafts up from the ground from the water seeps in. She closed her eyes again, but this time in memory.

The use of the jar itself didn't sound too appealing to her, as it would likely have no effect. But the uses he listed sounded amazing! Both cleaning and healing, while reducing scarring. It sounded like an unbelievable concoction. Then she realized why it was so amazing. It was composed of rare and valuable reagents. She nodded as he explained this, not fully understanding the ingredients. For one, she didn't know that petals gave off oil.

"Thank you Beodan, for showing me these things.. Maybe next time we meet, you can show me more? Oh, I-I mean.. if you ever wanted to meet again.. I don't want to impose.. I'm just curious about this all, honestly.." Inwardly scolding herself for saying something to presumptuous, she looked away, scanning the tent again.

It still amazed her that people lived out here, and that the places they did live really felt.. homey. It was nice, she was sure, to be so close to nature, in your own home. There were plants hanging throughout the tent.. can't get more close to nature than that. She knew she would never survive out her, but it was a fun thought. It was getting later.. and Bakar knew she would have to return to Syliras soon.

"C-could.. you show me the way back? I'm feeling much better.. and I'm afraid that I wasn't much paying attention as you brought me here." She knew that the spasms and headache were not nearly finished, but she wanted to deal with these in her own home, not impose on the horse man.
Last edited by Bakar on September 26th, 2015, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Nature is a Fickle Beast

Postby Beodan Clathony on September 25th, 2015, 12:39 am

"C-could.. you show me the way back? I'm feeling much better.. and I'm afraid that I wasn't much paying attention as you brought me here,” Beodan’s guest asked, seeming to be anxious to get home. He nodded with a smile, “Certainly, though if you want to be spared the long walk back to the gates, you can ride me. You were just convulsing, and I don’t know if will happen again. It will only take about a bell at jog!” He pointed to a new looking saddle sitting in the corner of the pavilion. “All you have to do is sit, no riding experience required. I am well trained,” he assured with a wink. He picked up the mass of leather straps and asked, “Shall we?” stepping outside under a ceiling of trees.

Dan extended a finger towards one end of the clearing and said, “That way is the road, my paths will take us there. Then it's a straight shot to Syliras! Just climb on when you are ready.” He gave her a nod and then began to don the saddle. Slipping his arms and legs through the proper holes and making sure the straps were not twisted around. His check complete, he disappeared in a flash of light, a glossy brown horse standing in the man’s place, a saddle tightened and ready. He twitched his ears at her as if to say, ‘Well? What are you waiting for?’

Once she had stopped moving atop him, he exhaled sharply through his nostrils, a billowing snort, and set off on the familiar path snaking through the trees and bushes. He kept up a three beat jogging gait, the only sounds that could be heard were the crunching of hooves on fallen leaves, and birds calling each other home for the night. They reached the road about half a bell before sunset. Without a break the Kelvic and his Rider curved onto the straight line of cobbles towards the gate. The castle walls grew higher and higher as they approached, the gates looking as sturdy and formidable as ever. As he clopped to a stop in front of the gate, one of the guards recognized him and gave him a slight smile. He nickered in response, happy that he had gotten some form of greeting. After waiting for his rider to dismount, he nuzzled Bakar’s chilled forehead, ‘Stay well, Living Death.’
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext