Solo [The Bronze Woods] What's Your Problem?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Woods] What's Your Problem?

Postby Asen on July 26th, 2015, 6:59 am

74th of Summer
515 AV

Asen was in trouble.

Big trouble.

For one, she'd failed to meet Marissa for training on the 71st like they'd arranged. For two, she couldn't explain to her patron exactly why she missed it. It was a secret, and it was between her and Aren alone.

That morning the knight had walked into her squire's dorm room with calculated steps and yanked her out of her bed by the blankets, which were firmly tucked between her arm and torso. The girl had tumbled onto the ground and was ordered to saddle up for patrol and be outside Syliras in half a bell.

Unfortunately she took an extra ten chimes in doing so and by the time she was ready Marissa had left and was coming up on the hotsprings. The half-Dhani had kicked her horse into an unsteady canter to catch up. When she did, the cold anger and disappointment radiating from Marissa was nearly tangible.

The duo sat in silence as they made their way through the forest, only the occasional snort from their horses breaking it. What was she supposed to say? 'Yeah, I almost killed myself. That's why I missed training the other day. Sorry to inconvenience you!' No. That was an awful idea. It just opened the door to more trouble that she didn't need.

I should've just let myself drown. It'd be better than this, she thought. Anything would be better than bearing the displeasure of her mentor, which felt like a boulder pressing her slowly into the ground. Was she intent on not speaking to her for the duration of the ride? It seemed so. She'd been in front of her squire the entire time and hadn't said a word since she pulled her out of bed.

Finally, Asen plucked up enough courage to speak.

Asen is speaking | Marissa is speaking
Asen
Kintsugi

Words: 136836
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 11:41 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[The Bronze Woods] What's Your Problem?

Postby Asen on July 30th, 2015, 5:38 am

"Marissa, are you mad at me?"

"Yes."

The answer was curt and wounded Asen like no weapon could. For over half a season she'd met her patron every third day without fail, and the first time she missed it was the moment she broke her trust. She couldn't even tell Marissa why she missed it. That was probably the most painful part.

"I'm sorry, Marissa. I-"

"Apology not accepted."

The knight's voice was monotone and she stared straight ahead with a dead expression. Though she looked fairly relaxed, not clutching the reins with white knuckles, Asen could sense her anger. She frowned and looked away from the woman.

"You disappoint me. I had high hopes for you."

The half-Dhani's shoulders drooped. Marissa wasn't the only one being disappointed. "Why won't you accept my apology, then?"

"Because you didn't show up for training like you promised. Promised, Asen."

Yes. She had promised, hadn't she? But she figured her reason for breaking that promise was a pretty good one -- except once again, she couldn't tell her why. Now they both were hurt.

It was another quarter-bell before Asen spoke again. "Where are we going?" she asked. Surely they weren't just patrolling? They were on the Kabrin Road heading north, if she was correct, and they'd already passed the hotsprings.

"Pavi Lake." They were headed to the salt lake that she'd only heard stories about, stories of serpentine monsters and singing people. She figured the monster was most likely a saltwater Iyvess combined with overactive imaginations. As for the singing people, she had no answer.

The ride to the lake was only about an hour (give or take fifteen chimes) from the hotsprings. The squire and her patron dismounted with very different levels of difficulty, the former almost falling due to her foot being caught in the stirrup, and Marissa tied the horses to a tree so they wouldn't wander off. Being behind a copse of trees, Asen didn't see the lake until they got close.

Asen is speaking | Marissa is speaking
Asen
Kintsugi

Words: 136836
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 11:41 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes