Fortune telling

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Fortune telling

Postby Alija on October 10th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Hey guys! I was hoping for a bit of input on race/city outlooks on fortune telling, such as how it might have developed, how it is seen and what methods are often used? It would be great to have experts on various cities tell me what they know rather than coming up with it myself (which I am happy to do, and expect I will have to!)

Thanks!
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Fortune telling

Postby Calder Stormeye on October 11th, 2015, 6:46 am

Well I can give the opinion of how I am playing my new fortune teller, granted not any kind of expert on the matter. As svefra hydromancy, the study of water and water ripples for telling the future seems like it would make sense. Also augury, seeing birds as omens of the future, and aeromancy, using wind and weather patterns, makes sense. Also haruspicy, studying entrails of sacrificed animals, would likely be most commonly found using fish, or other sea life. I figure svefran tarot cards would likely contain water, ship and storm imagery. Svefra seems like a race that would be more open to fortune telling, being a superstitious lot. Likely looking to the tellers to fortell disaster and misfortune.

Granted this is how I saw it after looking at the svefran lore page and modeled my character that way. Also at the same time svefra can vary wildly from pod to pod so it would make sense for there to be major differences between practioners.
Calder Stormeye
Player

Words: 6010
Joined roleplay: October 10th, 2015, 3:02 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets