Solo Cooking for the Soul I

Ayszel cooks a thank you dinner for those who welcomed her to Lhavit...and those who have kept her secret.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Cooking for the Soul I

Postby Ayszel on November 13th, 2015, 4:50 am

89th Fall, 515 AV

While she liked the bareness of her house Solla had been by to see how she was settling and had gently indicated more furniture would be pertinent to a dinner. As such, she had bought the basic necessities those in the Azure market had recommended. The small home sat on the edge of the Okomo meadows and had a beautiful view of the rest of Lhavit sprawling out like a canvas over the other peaks. Perhaps best of all was the view of the ocean and the relative solitude the location provided. While Ayszel felt tangibly lonely in Lhavit it was required considering her delicate situation. The cottages were built from the pale sand of the sea that was so far away and were scattered with seashells and scales that reflected the sun with exuberance. The garden behind her house was small and domed with the warm presence of skyglass that kept the garden faintly warm, even in the winter. A fireplace was posed near the back of the house, near the door leading to the small greenhouse so when that when the door was left open it may warm the entirety. The attribute that had Ayszel paying the exuberant price for the place. The roof was set with hardened cypress-bark making the conclave darker and more welcoming to Ayszels scaley form and predilections. The floor creates a soothing shushing noise as feet pad over the braided reed mats that commonly adorn Lhavitian floors. Most of the wood carvings inside are of the Okomo or other antlered animals of the mountains along with playful bushy squirrels darting along the fireplaces mantelpiece.

The entire place was only one room with a short narrow staircase that led upstairs to a bed. Having slept on stone all her life it was the one place that hidden behind a rag of white curtain was unabashedly suited to her Dhani form. The bed was really just a flat hard wooden surface on which to rest her tendrils. Beside the bed was a small table and chair with several withered looking stubs for candles at which she did much of her work. Her chest rested at the end of her bed, enclosing all that which was most precious to her and a short shelf rested across from the bed where her grimoire and small collection of books could be found. Below the small enclave of her bed was the rest of the cottage into which she had squished a table and four chairs, a cabinet in which the various cooking supplies was stowed and a book case in which all the jars of cooking and philtering supplies resided. Seven glass tanks were stacked beneath the small potting table in the garden in a ramshackle way. Above the fire where a simple mantle protruded from the wall sat the candles in honour of the three goddesses Ayszel had sworn herself to and above them a watercolor painting of a seahorse was pinned.

The garden appeared largely empty, with little mole hills under which lay some of the seeds she had brought with her from Falyndar. These were kept closest to the fire in the hopes of replicating the warmth of their homeland. Those furthest from the fireplace were the full grown Lhavitian plants she had been recommended by Solla, their flourishing green stems not yet having wilted under her novice fingertips. Though the place seemed cramped to her she hoped it was adequate and would meet with the expectations of her guests. Like a Chamelean…I need to blend… she thought.

“Good Morning Solla,” Ayszel greeted indicating her presence and respect with a moderate bow. She was beginning to pick up on the Lhavitian Politesse and cultivate her sense of deportment in the face of the rigid rules. “Oh, hello Litka. How did those invitations go?” The woman was obviously well versed in speaking with those unfamiliar with common as she spoke slowly and chose her words with care. Ayszel had mentioned to the elderly caretaker that she had invited Hachia Koat, the guide that had first welcomed her to Lhavit, to dinner once she had settled. The woman had taken several bells to explain the proper etiquette required of the offer and had helped her draw up the appropriate invitations as she had added several others to the meal at Solla’s behest. ”Lhavit is a very communal politically active city, it would do well to invite any who made your welcome here easier, to show your appreciation. If you are inviting one, it is easy to invite others.” Ayszel remembered. As such, she had invited Solla herself as well as Oishi Sakana, her boss, and had sent a timid invitation to Bennar Witt. She had qualms about the latter invitation, but she figured he was more inclined to keep her secret if he was personally linked and invested, after all exposing her now when witnesses could attest to his involvement in a dinner would implicate him as well. Besides, whether she wanted to admit to it or not he had done her a favour and this dinner was about repaying favours.

“They go well then. Thank you. I copy the one we made. I am looking forward to tonight muchly. I must begin cooking though…I have never cooked before…” She confessed. In Zinrah we ate only raw meat and I imagine that will certainly not do for humans seeing as this human form can’t tolerate it. Ayszel murmured to herself silently. “I wondered…who may I ask who cooks?” She asked. While she had books they had not been a principle method learning in Zinrah, in fact beyond the Grimoire and travel book she had never used a book for learning.

“Unfortunately dear we cannot expect to be taught everything by someone else now can we? Sometimes, we must learn for ourselves.” It was very obviously a lecture, for the woman had already done so much to make Ayszel feel at home. “Of course,” Ayszel replied, turning to leave and wondering anxiously how to solve the problem in such short time when she was brought up by the soothing tones of Solla’s voice. “I have a book you may buy though my dear. I have outgrown the recipes myself and my daughter just returned it last night,” She offered, searching amongst the bookshelves of odds and ends.

Turning Ayszel took the worn wooden case of the thin book. Painted on the front was a very wobbly handed painting of what looked like some sort of vegetable pile spilling out from a long brown horn. “It’s a Horn of Plenty,” Solla explained, unwobbling Ayszels confused eyebrows. “The drawings are not very clever but the recipes are very simple and traditional. You should be able to make anything in there without too much trouble,” She smiled, “I’ll give it to you for 55 Kina.”

Ayszel handed the book back, “Thank you but too much,” She replied apologetically. While she still had much to learn about Lhavitian decorum she knew at least that there seemed to be an excessive level of politeness that rang through the open archways, even when negotiating. “50 Kina is my final offer,” Solla said, extending the slight shift of paper toward Ayszel again. A playful gleam danced on the end of her upturned mouth as Ayszel turned to exchange the glittering stones for the book. “You are becoming more Lhavitian each day,” Solla commented in a girlish whisper as their hands met over the exchange. The words struck a painful blow in Ayszels stomach and she struggled to hide the wince with a winning smile. “Thank you.” A knowing passed over Solla’s face as they parted ways, she had seen homesickness as often as she saw Okomo and thought no more of the look.

OOCPurchased:
6 table forks (1cm x 5) =6cm
1 Quart Violet Pitcher = 2 GM
6 Blue Glass Goblets = 6sm x 6 =36sm x 2= 72sm
Blue Glass Vase 5gmx2=10gm
Bread knife x 1 =1cm
Butter knife x 6 =6 cm
Table knife x6 = 6cm
Cooking pot (clay), Gallon = 3sm
Dish 7” x6 (pale blue glazed clay)= 18 cm
Bowl 7” x6 (white glazed clay)= 18 cm
Soup spoon x6 =6cm
Rolling pin = 2sm
Tongs =2sm
Chair, average x6 42sm
Cupboard, average 2gm
Shelf set, average 5sm
Bookcase, average 8gm
Cooking Book 50gm
Bed, poor 1gm
Table, good 3gm
Yellow linen Apron 3sm
TOTAL=89.51 Kina

Last edited by Ayszel on December 11th, 2015, 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Cooking for the Soul

Postby Ayszel on November 13th, 2015, 5:59 am

Ayszel readjusted the thick coat and hood that bundled her ears up as she stepped out into the Autumn chill. I’ll stop by the Jugged Hare and pick up some meat pies in case anything goes wrong… she immediately thought, deciding on a backup plan. It was the first place she had eaten upon arriving in Lhavit and remained one of her favorite places to snack.

The warmth and smell of butchered animals was a welcome relief from the blustering cold her heat loving skin loathed. After ordering 5 meat pies ‘to go’ she waited patiently at one of the tables while cracking open the weathered cover. Most of the meals were salads, most of which she skipped over with a flippant eye before stopping herself. The Okomos in the pasture only eat grass…I should make something pleasant for his Okomo as a thank you for carrying me up the mountain, besides she’d certainly be indignant if she had to wait outside all night while I fed her partner… she realized and quickly settled on an almond salad. I can pick some of those little blue flowers the Okomo seem to love so much out in the pastures… she added, for her dish and perhaps the others would like some salad? While she could digest, and even had momentary cravings for lush green leaves in this form, she preferred the richness of flesh and couldn’t help but presume the others would as well. Just because this body CAN eat grass doesn’t mean they wouldn’t RATHER something else… she rationalized, adding three 2 pound ducks to the order when she spotted a recipe near the back of the book.

Several bells of scrambling and cursing through the cold sloping streets of Lhavit Ayszel had managed to grab several seasonings, potatoes, other vegetables, freshly baked bread, jam, butter and pie ingredients to her two heaping baskets. Several times she almost slipped on her way home and was relieved when she dumped the baskets on the table. Though they weren’t particularly heavy the baskets were awkward as ingredients threatened to burst from the baskets mouths.

I’m glad I thought to make it to the shops so early… Ayszel thought as she moved about the cottage lighting candles until the place was filled with a soft glow, It’s going to take all day to cook… Pulling the pale yellow apron over her head and fastening it about her waist Ayszel gazed at the pile of ingredients, which featured a real curling hollowed out horn like that on the front of the book. It wasn’t that Ayszel enjoyed the drudgery of housework but unconsciously she craved the company she had been surrounded by in the caves of home and cooking was very like the precise art of philtering and so she found herself with an inexplicable smile upon her face as she ran her finger along the pages of the book.

IngredientsSeasonings, potatoes, vegetables, bread, jam and butter and pie ingredients = 15 kina
5 Meat Pie = 5sm x 5=4.5 kina
Duck (2lbs.) x 3 =3 kina x 3 = 9 Kina
Hollow horn of plenty = 5gm
Total: 33.5 Kina

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani