Closed Cooking for the Soul II

Ayszel cooks a thank you dinner for those who welcomed her to Lhavit...and those who have kept her secret.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Cooking for the Soul II

Postby Ayszel on November 13th, 2015, 6:37 am

~89th Fall, 5015 AV SUNDOWN

She had long ago extinguished the menagerie of candles as the sun had flooded through the cottage while she had been cooking. Flour was smudged across her face and cinnamon was dusted through her hair leaving a trail of white sweet smelling dust behind her as she walked toward the knock on the door. In the threshold was Solla, early for the dinner party. “Isn’t being early rude?” Ayszel teased as she opened the door for the woman to enter. Solla chuckled, her face a beautiful pattern of happy wrinkles as she slipped inside. “True. I thought you could use some help cleaning up…While you clean up.” She gestured to the Ayszels white powdered face. Brushing her face half heartedly Ayszel nodded a thank you as she grabbed a moistened cloth and wiped the flour from her face and shook out the cinnamon.

“I also brought a table cloth in case you didn’t have one,” Solla added as she spread out a black crocheted table cloth dotted with rosettes of silver strands creating a starry night sky appearance. “It’s beautiful…” Ayszel crowed, running her fingers over the end. “It’s a housewarming present,” Solla explained, “If you ever get invited to someone’s house, it’s polite to bring a small gift or food,” She explained. “Ahh…so lesson and a gift,” Ayszel joked as she placed the chickens out on the table on long platters around the horn of plenty. Inside the horn she arranged a tangle of fruit and vegetables as demonstrated by the image on the front of the recipe. “Oh ha ha Litka…so literal,” Solla joked, waving at the horn. Ayszel looked between her and the centerpiece “Was I not supposed to? The book had it.” “No no, it’s fine. It’s just not usually made for dinner parties…more for festivals,” she explained, making Ayszel blush at her faux pas.

A steaming apple pie, bowls of steamed potatoes and herbs, bread with butters and jams, and the almond laced salad joined the steaming ducks. “That looks beautiful Litka,” Solla cooed as she was washing down the cooking surfaces and relighting the candles. Ayszel stood back from the beautiful meal before them and grinned proudly. A feast for Queens… she proclaimed, placing her hands on her hips.

“You better be off to change my dear, people will be arriving soon,” Solla warned as she went to light the coloured and carved candles on the mantel. “Oh no,” Ayszel reached out, catching her arm. “Those aren’t for lighting…” She added carefully, unsure what the woman would think of the method of prayer. “Ah, ceremonial,” She seemed to intuitively understand. Ayszel neither nodded nor shook her head in responses. Sometimes she tired of hiding so much of herself and the worry that graced Sollas face told the same story.

Moving away from the elderly woman Ayszel climbed the ladder to gather the golden and red layered dress she had planned for the evening. It was a traditional Lhavitian dress, composed of many thin layers of light red fabric with dancing golden suns and stars across its surface. She liked this clothing much more than the first clothing she had been loaned, it was so light it was like being completely naked. Fortunately, the warmth of the cottage allowed for the light summery dress. This time, as she descended the stairs she was careful to lift up the hem of the dress to keep from tripping or tearing the light fabric like last time.

The next knock that rattled the door was from the small hand of Oishi Sakana the boy from the Cosmos Center that had spent all day showing her around Lhavit and finding her a home. He was dressed in far richer cloth than she and at his side stood a coroneted visage of a regal woman. “Hello Oishi,” Ayszel bowed slightly and opened the door wider to allow them entrance, “Who is this?” She asked as politely as she could. Isn’t it impolite for someone to come without notice…she glowered, glad she had made so much food.
“This is my mother Youchi Sakana Dawn,” He offered, mouth dropping as he looked at the food on the table. “That looks great Litka, thank you for inviting me.” He offered as he darted away from his mothers side to inspect her garden. “Hello…Mrs…Ms…You-…Sakana?” Ayszel stuttered over it, wondering what the appropriate title was. “You may call me Youchi,” She offered with a small smile, “and not to be impolite…but in the future when you invite a young boy to a dinner it is polite to extend the invitation to his folks…” she offered. While the criticism made Ayszel flush with embarrassment it was said with such softness and warmth she was sure no feelings were hurt. I suppose if there is anyone to make that mistake with it is someone from the Cosmos Center whose job it is to be tolerant of foreigners… Ayszel thought.

“Here,” Youchi offered, extended her pale long fingered hand in which she clasped a bundle of flowers, “Oishi mentioned you shared a similar affliction as him, these are from his garden.” Ayszel accepted them with a broad smile and a tilting head. “Affliction? Sickness? I am not sick. Oushi is sick? That is sad.” She struggled out. “Oh no, uhm..said you shared his love of plants,” She corrected as she handed her coat to the young Dhani. Uh oh…where do I put their coats… She looked around before hanging it from its hood on the post at the bottom of the banister, the only thing remotely resembling a coat hook.

“Thank you Youchi, for the flowers and for bringing Oishi,” Ayszel replied as she took the blue glass vase from the cabinet and placed it beside the horn to hold the shock of red and yellow flowers. Though Ayszel knew none of their names she recognized their shapes and scents from the pathways about Lhavit.

“That one is the Red Mountain Flower,” He gestured to the deepest maroon of the group. With its long pointed petals it looked like a crown. “And that one is the mountain paintbrush, I only have yellow ones in my garden but you can find them in oranges and reds in the mountains. But even if you plant the reds and oranges they turn yellow in Lhavit. The gardeners say it’s because the soil is more acidic in Lhavit and the acidity changes the colours,” he informed her proudly.

Ayszel wrapped an arm around the boys shoulders and squeezed him to her side, “Thank you Oishi,” she murmured earnestly. It was with the children she felt most at home, children were precious among the Dhani and he treated her with as much affection as she had received in Zinrah. Part of her was unnerved, having so many people crammed in her small private space. But Zinrah had been a place of many private parties, full of alcohol and hedonism. While this one was looking so be much tamer than them thus far, it was a pleasant reminder.

“Are we waiting for many more people?” Solla inquired politely.

“Yes, there should be two men arriving and my boss,” She replied nervously thinking of Ben and wondering if he would attend.

Last edited by Ayszel on December 3rd, 2015, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Cooking for the Soul II

Postby Bennar Witt on November 16th, 2015, 12:22 am

The Alvadan walked briskly through the meadows, the darkness setting in and the cottages each giving of a homey aura from their interior light. Ben found the small neighborhood of secluded homes pleasant, and quiet. He had always lived in the center of city life, with city sounds and people about at all hours. He never thought about moving to the outskirts where peace and a nature picturesque feeling prevailed. Ben found he could get used to the beautiful view he had seen walking over here, though now the sky was dark and he was hurrying.

In his hand he clutched a small linen bag of the best Lhavitian tea leaves, dried and ready to be made into tea. It was what he would have wanted to receive, so it was what he bought Litka. Triuthfully, he was a bit nervous. He was an old hand at social situations, coming from a family where social aptitude and manners were paramount in building business connections. It was a skill not just for his father, but charged to Ben and both his brothers as well. But his meeting with the snake-woman had been jarring and wild. He had been a bit surprised at receiving an invitation to her home. He secretly hoped there would be others there to mitigate whatever tension still rested between him and Litka.

Ben pulled the folded invitation out of his pocket and shook it open with his free hand. He peered at it in the dim light of the moon and stars but couldn’t read the cottage number. Damn my wretched memory! He thought, growling in frustration. The coast was clear, after a moment’s hurried glancing about. He summoned some of his res from within and lit it in a slow burning flame, barely bright enough to read from.

It took him longer than he’d like to admit to find the right cottage, but eventually he did. As he stood outside the front door he heard voicing inside. There seemed to be a fair few people there, which made him feel decidedly better about showing up. He raised a hand and knocked three times. When the door was opened he smiled and held out the bag.

“Evening, Litka. It is good to see you again.” He let his eyes flicker past her and took in the interior of her cottage in a glance. He saw a boy and two older women inside. So she has other friends! Good. “You look wonderful, might I add.” Ben said, indicating the colorful dress. He glanced down at his own somewhat less luxurious attire. “A most beautiful dress that only an equally beautiful women may wear!” The compliment came easy, as they always do.

Ben brightened as he indicated the unassuming linen bag in his hand. “This is one of Lhavit’s greatest treasures. Since I came here, I have found it quite essential to existence. Lhavitian tea leaves from my most favorite vendor in the Plaza. They will melt away all worries and leave only pleasant thoughts.” He winked conspiratorially. Ben held the bag out to her, hoping it would serve as a civil reminder that they were on good terms.

Gods, let this night go smoothly!
Lhavit
Ben Guide
Reimancy
Shielding
Morphing
Bennar Witt
Player

Words: 117856
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2015, 7:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Cooking for the Soul II

Postby Ayszel on December 3rd, 2015, 5:38 pm

“Evening, Litka. It is good to see you again.” Ben introduced himself politely, making Ayszel smile. He certainly deserves an invite after the fright I gave him…and it seems he’s kept my secret since he dares to show up here His glance passed her shoulder to take in her home made her grin proudly. Though the place was small it was more beautiful and ornate than any home she’d ever had and the feast adorning the table had taken all day, several burns, and a considerable mess to create, her chest burst with pride for it.

“You look wonderful, might I add. A most beautiful dress that only an equally beautiful women may wear!” He complimented making Ayszels face twitch, Is the compliment considered Lhavitian norm or is there an ulterior motive? “Yes, I am beautiful. As is the Lhavitian textile industry…indeed. You must be proud of Lhavit,” She replied awkwardly, not sure the connotation of the words.

Ayszel accepted the gift with a broad grin, Ah! Tea! She thought, delighted. It was the most apt present for the Caiyha marked woman and she was enormously grateful. “Thank you Ben, that is most kind. Although you presence does more to assuage fears than tea ever could…” She whispered the latter part more quietly as she took his coat and hung it up with others.

Several bells later Kystrel, Ayszels boss and the professor and researcher of Botany and Hooved Animals in Lhavit, and the ‘Man at the Bottom of the Mountain’ had arrived with his Okomo. With her amused outside with a bowl of salad, topped with the blue flowers favoured by the Okomo. Everyone had been introduced and settled about the dinner table with the plump smell of food filling their nostrils.

“Once again, thank you all for coming and making me feel welcome in Lhavit. I hope you enjoy the food.” She opened her arms welcomingly as she spoke, encouraging everyone to begin to take their share. However, another individual caught the gesture and assumed it was meant for them as well.

Skittering down the banister and leaping off the end of the banister the spotted racoon flew over the heads of Oishi and Ben. Ayszel reached out with a gasp struggling to catch her midflight. Her fingertips brushed the soft pelt, missing by a foot as the creature went skittering across the table and spilling the food off the table and into people’s laps as his long nails caught in the holes of the black tablecloth.

“Keesha!” Ayszel yelled in frustration, “Petch,” she cursed under her breath as she tried to gather the vegetables and fruit that had spilled into her lap from the cornucopia. Her yell made Keesha pause, mid-feast and gaze up at her owner, drool dripping from the edges of her mouth as she held a piece of ripped off duck to her long thick muzzle. Her white and black coat covered in colourful stains from the berries she had squished on impact.

“I’m so sorry everyone,” Ayszel apologized, rising to snatch the duck from the grumbling critter before she tried to clean her guests laps up. Silence hovered over the dinner for a moment making Ayszel gulp. Grabbing the vase of paintbrushes and mountain flowers when Keesha moved to tip it over she tripped over the leg of Bens chair, toppling into his lap and sending the paintbrushes and mountains flying toward the fleeing bushy tail of the little troublemaker.

Funny or a Disaster?

OOCThanks for being so patient with this response :) I'll be much faster in the future.

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes