Question on Wind Eagles for a Starting Character

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Duun on December 23rd, 2015, 4:52 am

I am in the process of figuring everything out for my character sheet and I was just wondering about Wind Eagles because in my characters concept, he's an Eagle Rider, and I saw that there is a skill for horseback riding but not Eagle Riding. Also, how would I go about getting a Wind Eagle since mounts don't seem to come in the starting package?
~ Duun
Duun
Player

Words: 3575
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2015, 4:11 am
Race: Human, Inarta

Postby Sybel on December 23rd, 2015, 5:28 am

First, I'm not sure if knowledge of flight would require a lore or a skill. If a skill, it would be "flying," if I'm not mistaken. It isn't on the skill list though. Which makes me think its a lore, phrased like "Knowledge of Basic Flight" or something similar.

Second, here is the article on Wind Eagles as per the Wiki:
Out of character note:
Inarta Player Characters may start with Wind Eagles rather than horses in their starting package with Wind Reach's Domain Storyteller's permission. They must have a Storytellers Secret thread accompanying this permission and they must understand Wind Eagles are colony birds and are going to be unwilling to leave their 'colony'. Also, they are sentient keepers of secrets, so be aware that the 'Eagle' characters needs a distinct personality and knows things the character will not be aware of. Brief travel away from Wind Reach with a Wind Eagle is permissible (ten to fifteen days), but long wandering roaming adventurers will never be approved. If your character wanders away from Wind Reach to 'travel' and 'adventure' your bird will unbond and rebond with someone else who is more of a homebody.

Given that, as the domain of Wind Reach is closed I doubt you'll be eligible to play a Wind Eagle rider.

"I am wild, full-blooded and a trifle reckless." - Ser Arthur Conan Doyle
Sybel
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 310247
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 23rd, 2015, 7:47 am

Wind Reach is a closed Domain due to the fact the Storyteller there was retired due to inactivity. That means no new activity can happen there until someone volunteers to storytell for the domain who is qualified.

That means no new starting Eagle Riders aka Endal. You can play an ex-rider outside of the domain or gain an eagle later in your writing career if Wind Reach opens.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)