Birth of a Captain[Solo][Flashback]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Postby Trios on December 13th, 2010, 4:30 am

OOC: A ongoing History account of Trios's early life
Age 12 {relative age in humans 6years old}

2d of Spring, 470 A.V.

A very young bald Isur sat crying softly in a small storage space between the staircase that lead to the upper deck of the bandit and smuggling vessel known as “Empty Night” . It’s current location was a mystery to the boy and all he knew was that his mother had given him to a very tall human who was in charge of the ship. The young boy kept thinking was that it was his fault that he was sent here and that he should have been smarter and stronger so that his mother wouldn’t have needed to give him up.

It was hard to see the lad weeping softly in his hiding hole being barely a foot in height. To the many men that seemed to run back and forth on the deck the lad would appear to only be a small pale blue boulder with silver veins as the Isur was huddled in his hiding spot.

Large black boots that the little Isur didn’t see coming stood directly infront of the boy as if the owner was gazing directly down at the huddled blue rock. As the man began to speak in a unknown language, the small boy looked up to see a very tall lean human with a very arrogant appeal. The man was wearing brown trousers, white shirt that seemed to match his pale white shoulder length hair.

“Life can be unfair kid, but in time you’ll see that what happened was out of necessity. Your mother said ya was called Trios, short name for short little guy I think. She also said you didn’t know much common, its fine you’ll learn.”

All that Trios could understand was his name and the word short, quickly the young boy wipped the tears with his unhardened left hand in a attempt to not look weak in front of the person who took him away from the only family he ever had.

“You be working for Benny.” The man continued pointing at a shorter more stoutly male with a full face of hair and a large leather hat as big as his belly. “Benny” continued the man to make sure that Trios at least knew his name.

“He’s the deckmaster, and whatever he says you do….what am I even saying the blue kid prolly doesn’t know what the hell I’am talking about” sighed the large man walking away to the other human which Trios knew now as “Benny” . Trios intently observed the two tall humans speaking in their language for a few moments before the two than walked to the lad in some heated debate.

“Why must I be the one to watch your new pet” growled the man who Trios now recognised as Benny. The large man’s eyes seemed to be summing the small boy up.

“Because that kid’s gonna be an asset to our little gang given a few years, you know how them Isur are with the craft. You’re to keep him trained and safe and you’ll get his share till he’s of better use to us. I think that seems a fair deal” Said the other unknown man who apparently had some authority on the ship.

“Aye Capt’n seems like a fair deal……” said Benny getting down on one knee to get a better glimpse at the boy.

“Hahaha it looks like I got my work cut out for me” Arrogantly smiled the large man his golden teeth shinning in the sun as he picked up the boy by his collar as if he was a stray puppy.
Last edited by Trios on August 29th, 2011, 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THEME
"Look to the gods then look to your hands, if your going to depend on one go with the one that is attached."
Trios
Bow to nothing, live for everything.

Words: 144086
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 1:03 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Trios on December 13th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Age 16 {relative age in humans 8years old}
21d of Summer, 476 A.V.

“Get your ass in gear boy, them floors aren’t gonna clean themselves, even with them tiny hands of yours the floor should get cleaned regardless” Yelled the man that seemed to install the most fear into Trios since being shanghaied/sold into joining the crew. If stuff wasn’t done it was usually meant with a kick to the gut or more work. If work was completed on time however the reward was more work, sun up till sun down.

Being a very small cabin boy was like the bottom of the pecking order even if a band of rouges had such a system. It was usually just the captain on top and everyone just fell on the same level after that. Save for the young Isur who thought himself below that level. He was like a mascot to the crew or just a pair of hands for mundane work on the ship.

Trios had been napping against the mainmast on the main deck his head resting on a large bucket of water with a raggy cloth in it. The slumber had been disturbed by Benny who had chosen to knock the bucket away from him causing Trios to slam his head on the wooden floor.

“Ow Ow Ow, OK OK, I taking breather” quickly retorted the young boy whose common language had started to develop more and more thanks to the whole crew’s communication being in that single form. There where still however mistakes in his grammar as he spoke sometimes which was usually disregarded as a child learning a new language.

“The hell your not! Back to work! And maybe I’ll let you assist me on the ships bilges, they need to be reworked again” Growled Benny picking up the wet cloth in the bucket and tossing it down at the small boy that was as tall as the human’s knees.

As far as rewards went working on the ship was a decent break from gruelling cabin boy tasks. It meant working with one’s mind and skill of hand rather than the endurance it took to finish some of the chores that Trios was given daily. Plus Benny seemed to enjoy the extra small hands when they assisted since it was less work for him and because it meant that all that was required of Trios for the day had been done. It was also a great chance to pick up some knowledge on how the ship ran and how each part of the craft were important in the sea fairing vessel.

“Nice outside, felt good in sun with sound of sea, work was almost done…Stupid Benny” pouted the boy in a slightly broken common as he began to scrub the deck with the ragged cloth. The day was beautiful and with a decent headwind meant that the mood of the ship matched the weather conditions. Trios had taken a few moments of cleaning watching the crew scurry about all over the ship following their orders to keep the ship moving forward. Where? Trios had no idea. Such information wasn’t told directly to him or their missions. Most things that had been told to the boy were instructions on tasks or answers to questions he had asked about how the ship was run and maintained.

Simply watching the helmsmen steer the ship or the crew that hoisted or curled the sails made the boy insanely jealous at their types of work. He’d been given a few chances to steer the boat during clam sailing conditions when the helmsmen needed a break, it was uplifting. The boy felt as though he could go anywhere and do anything he chose. Freedom wasn’t what Trios had nor was it was slavery. It was like a forced apprenticeship in ship work. The crew did treat him fairly the boy had thought, he was fed and never outright ignored. But being of a different race and size had put up a decently sized barrier of exclusion which the boy could still feel.

The captain seemed to be the one in control, that was clear to the boy. Seeing the adult human shout orders and having the crew obey must have been a great feeling. Captain Ikesod could go anywhere with his ship and the people that followed him. Such freedom, what would that be like wondered Trios as he gazed around the ship once again before turning his head downward at the deck to which he was cleaning.

It would be another hour or so of scrubbing before another two hours helping Benny in ship repairs….
THEME
"Look to the gods then look to your hands, if your going to depend on one go with the one that is attached."
Trios

Character sheet

Postby Trios on December 22nd, 2010, 4:50 pm

“Benny, task done! Deck Clean like whistle, helping you now” The young blue cabin said as he hopped down each of the stairs that lead down to the bilges. It was more fun this way since the steps were a bit to big for him to scale effectively due to his size. And the boy’s weight seemed to creek the staircase that lead down a bit louder than an average human child would.

“Aye get down here lad I need you to pump the bilges clear as I inspect the damage” Barked the large human who was ankle high in water within the bilges of the ship. The portly male was beat red due to the amount of sun he had seen in the years and hadn’t seem to take a notice to his facial hair in the last ten years. This fact was obvious since his larger than life hat rested near his shipwright tools as he tenderly looked at the wood of the hull.

“Common boy, I don’t have all day!” Growled the man as Trios quickly grabbed the pumping device that was just within his reach. But what the boy lacked in size he made up for in weight and strength. With a decent amount of effort the boy could effectively pump the bilges empty of the small amount of water that pooled there. Sitting on the wooden floor with a loud thud, Trios let a few exasperated gasps at the work had been taking a toll on his stamina.

“Pumped water!,……gasp*…..what……fixing….you…doing?” said the young Isur intently looking at the man as he seemed to inspect every single panel of wood in the bilges.

“None of your damn concern boy!....but if you must know I’am checking for clogs that might stop the water can be pumped out…” Growled Benny as he inspected the bilge’s pump system showing the young boy a few of the procedures of how they operated.

Trios did not know that the bilges could be used to make it safe for the sailing of the ship in harsh weather. Collecting water meant that ship could have more weight when it needed it and lose the water when the ship needed to gain speed. And it seemed that Benny hide his amusement at the small boy’s fascination on how the ship functioned.

“You might not be a dumbass yet boy, hahahaha” Laughed Benny as Trios asked a few more childlike questions towards the swash plates that ran from side to side. Answering only a few Benny then tossed a hand in the air to single the boy to stop talking.

“You’re starting to annoy me, Get the hell away from my sight for the night ok?” Snarled Benny pointing at the hatches which lead away from the bilges. Now one might think the man was being rude to the small Isur, but it was usually an indication to the boy that the days work was done. Trios could rest or enjoy the night as he saw fit till the next day’s tasks were given.
THEME
Trios

Character sheet

Postby Trios on December 23rd, 2010, 6:49 pm

Trios was glad that he had a few bells of rest or to do whatever he wanted so long as it didn’t interfere with other tasks. The stars were plastered on the sky and the waters were calm making it seem like the ship was sailing between two starry skies. The human crew seemed to be tacking the calm weather as a sigh to slack a bit as the pace of work seemed to be almost non-existent as the ship drifted forward.

As the child Isur moved along the deck of the ship, the boy’s eyes seemed to wonder towards the horizon. Seeing in the dark was pretty handy, though the boy didn’t know he could when one crew member pointed out that the boy seemed to be able to move in the darkest of places without the use of light. It made him a good candidate to helm the ship during calm nights, and it was this that drove the boy to the helm currently.

“Oi Trios, ha you wanna have a go at the helm? I guess you can have a go I can take a few moments of a break” Laughed the helmsmen as the small cabin boy approached. Lortan was a decent person from what Trios could tell, he was always mild mannered when he got a chance to slack off on his duties. Since the young Isur had a decent knowledge on steering the craft in calm waters it allowed the helmsmen a chance to stretch his legs.

“Just keep us going north, make sure we don’t go off course” Lortan continued passing the helm to the Isur who could barely see over the decks but had a better time seeing on the elevated floors near the helm. Lortan slowly walked away mumbling something about a strong drink before disappearing below deck.

It was just Trios and a handful of men that now spotted the upper deck of the ship. It was quiet save for the sound of the water as the ship broke its surface. Trios making sure that the course was always set on the very line of north, allowed his mind to wonder into the night sky.

It was a foolish thing to wish for something grand, but there it was. It was a wish to do whatever one wanted, a craft to take a person anywhere and a loyal following to make it possible. Being at the lowest of authority meant that respect and power was something worth having. To be feared by the world was a laughable notion of a goal but to be feared because of how free they were was a respectable goal.

Trios gave a childish laugh “CAPTAIN TRIOS” did have a good ring to it.

“Captain Trios, owner of the sea and sky” Said the boy quietly to himself still chuckling at the title he gave himself. It was a dream to have indeed, it was a fools dream. But maybe the rest of the world was the fool, so closed minded to not be able to reach for more. And if no one would give the title to him, then Trios knew he would have to take it. So be it, thought the boy. He’d fight the very gods and sea itself to be the victor.

THEME
Trios

Character sheet

Postby Lariat on June 6th, 2011, 4:14 am

Experience:
Sea Navigation: 2
Sailing: 1
Shipwright: 2

Lores:
Feeling like you don’t belong
A harsh lot in life
Cleaning a ship’s deck (Basic)
The use of bilges on a ship
Discovering night vision and the possibilities that come with it

Thoughts: Good thread, enjoyed reading about Trios in his earlier life. Look forward to reading more threads by you. I couldn’t find a lot of skill points to give out since it wasn’t descriptive in how you where employing that knowledge but I gave what I could give out. If you think you deserved more or have any questions let me know and I’ll happily talk with you about it.
Lariat
The light in the back of your mind

Words: 151849
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2011, 3:20 am
Race: Staff account
Office