Open [Kitrean Krafts] Harmonies and hammers (job thread)

Cyrene is the only one in the shop and gets a bit of a grouchy customer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Kitrean Krafts] Harmonies and hammers (job thread)

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 22nd, 2016, 3:54 pm

17th Winter 515AV

18:45PM

Description "Cyrene" Thoughts Isur Tukant Others

Hammer blows fell against the counter steel bar in her hands drawing forth the metal into a flat and open leaf shape. Sliding the steel back into the fires. She sighed it’s been a while since she’d had a challenge against another smith, most men didn’t challenges her out of a theory that she was a woman. She scoffed at the idea and quite literally beat them into the ground sometimes. Others didn’t challenge her for fear of her race. And the in-born skill she had with her hammer. Although when in her other form she got challenged aplenty. Today Was one such day she’d already changed and her clothes barely fit her body, but she’d picked them out because she knew she was staying late at work today. Tighter form fits that were better suited to the forge than the usual dress that she chose to wear when in this form.

Each blow of her hammer fell with more force as it struck the steel leaf blade. Picking up the haft of the spear she’d been working on separately she lifted the heated blade checking it against the end of the haft. She slotted the haft into the ring at the back of the blade and gave it one firm hammer blow bolting and fusing the steel together. Tightening it around the oak shaft. She then quenched the steel one final time to harden the edge and tighten the steel further around the shaft. Nicely done Cyrene. She smiled to herself as she brought the blade over to the grinding wheel. Shearing off a thin layer of material she flipped the blade doing a single grind on each side before flipping the entire weapon and repeating the same thin grind. She sighed having finished the simple job and decided to pull out some small etching tools and began to dig a simple design into the edge of the blade. Her usual sigil of four interlocking triangles followed by her attempting her initials with a simple set of hammer strokes. The etching chisels ground up a small edge of the steel cutting a small C and then with a very delicate and almost trance like concentration she calmly and carefully etched in the E. A few minutes after she realised she’d have to get better at both her hand writing and her etching if she wanted to really make it stand out.
Cyrene Everwind
Beauty in the Blaze. Song in the Steel

Words: 89296
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2016, 10:34 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calder on January 23rd, 2016, 3:25 pm

It was morning a chilly one specifically being winter in Alvadas during this time, but he was still in his normal attire. After he woke he went to his morning routine, but decided not to take a bath today deeming It too cold, wore his clothes and left the cubscious inn to his shop.

Yet the city , or Inou more specifically the trickster God known to make Illusions change places appearances, or mess with the entire five sense making people sometimes too late , feel like they have been on this path for a long time , or suddenly find your self somewhere just by opening the door. This never bothered him of course,Calder has been born , and raised in Alvadas often due to his adventurer,whimsical attitude took what happened to him with stride.

He often viewed that the city itself worked in mysterious ways , that It was something like the City wanted a person to be somewhere, or to just screw with that person on a whim, but for whatever reason it was quite apparent to him that the city decided to either want him to be somewhere , or was screwing with him.

Calder concluded, It was either one of them as after moving from said place he could not seem to find the path where his work place was located. He kept on walking around the streets of Alvadas finding path ways which lead to a different place then, he sometimes opened doors which led to a completely different place.

Calder was rather annoyed, he wished that he could now just find a door , or short cut to the Inn, but If he found one to his workplace he would be just as satisfied. He kept on walking as suddenly a door appeared nearby on a building, he decided to open the door as there was nothing better to do.

Calder flexed his arm as he reached out to the door knob, twisted it , and opened It lightly moving inside. He felt rather annoyed as he found himself as in a place that looks like a workshop there was a women there who was working on a blade from what he observed ,and thought"She is probably a blacksmith ,I should probably ask her though where the heck ,I am at".

Calder kept a clam composure as he smiled charmingly and politely asked the women"Hello there Miss,I am Calder,perhaps you can tell me what and where am ,I as I have became lost due to the City illusions"?
Calder
Player

Words: 7631
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2016, 2:00 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 23rd, 2016, 3:52 pm

Setting the spear to one side on the rack of newly forged weapons she sighed lightly heading back into the sweltering fires. The searing brightness sending waves of colour running across her skin. The opalescent lightness shimmering in waves of colour from pale greens to deep purples. It was only then she heard the door unlock. Stepping out from behind the forge corner she caught sight of the young lad. Who proceeded to announce himself as Calder. Cyrene simply leant against the wall arms folded and an arched eyebrow. “So you’re lost? Is what you’re telling me? Right well you’ve found yourself at “kitrean Krafts”. He city’s best blacksmithing shop.” A hard edge to her much lighter voice. “The illusions happen to have that effect on people. Now if you want to chat I have work to do. So you’ll have to chat over the ring of steel.” She stepped back through into the almost overwhelming heat of the forge. Pulling a white hot ingot of steel out of the fires she began to hammer it down and flat. Then began to cut it before folding it over and thickening and strengthening the steel.

“So Calder.” She spoke over the loud hammering and the roar of the blaze, her voice used to being raised to a level where she could shout at this volume without going hoarse. “When did you arrive in the city…I mean if the illusions are throwing you you’ve got to be a fairly new arrival.” She smirked pounding the steel over and over again folding the steel before plunging it back into the blaze. The roaring rage of the fires hungry to consume the steel. She spoke again now a little softer since the hammering had stopped. “If you’re here by accident then I’m assuming you’re not here to purchase anything?”
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calder on January 25th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Calder stood there observing the details of the forge,but what particularity caught his eye was the weapon she was crafting as she set down the spear. Then, Calder observed her heating sometype of metal that the unnamed women took out of the scorching fire.

Calder stepped closer a bit so the women could look at him clearly and then thought of her question about him being "new" to Alvadas,but Calder suspected she was new to the city as even people who lived in the city their entire life get lost at least one time no matter how long they have lived here as everything keeps on changing. Therefore he concluded If she has not got lost during her time here,she may have lived here for a few years maybe ,or was just lucky.

Still he maintained his smile as he knew that people usually are friendly with those who smile due to It being a rather social thing of some sort. He answered politely again"No I am afraid that I am not new to this city, but one does not need to be new in order to get lost in Alvadas as long as the City ,or Inou wishes It".

He then answered her second question"As I am a merchant,I may buy some weapons to trade later on,but before we banter perhaps you can tell me your name as I have told you mine"? There was a gentlemanly charm towards how Calder spoke.

Note: I didn,t grammar check this.
Calder
Player

Character sheet

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 25th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Dragging the steel from the fires her hammer fell upon it again another clamours din fell upon the forge beating back the silence of the night. Finally the thin blade took shape long and near bolt straight. She lipped the steel into the water with a loud hiss quenching and reaffirming the steel before sliding it back into the fires to reheat and get ready for oil treating. Finally she turned back to face Calder. He wasn’t new to the city but still got lost. A brusque smirk appeared on her face. “Ionu must not care much about me then. I’ve relatively little been lost within the confines of the city.” Her smirk faded as she hauled the steel from the fire and slipped it straight into the huge oil bath.

The fires now crawled out of the bath and almost up and over her hands. Still he remained form and left the blade to dangle in the fires to treat and harden. So the man before her was a merchant looking to purchase wares for him to potentially sell on at a later date. “So a merchant looking to take some wares elsewhere. Huh…Lemme think on that.” Pausing she headed over to the large smelter slipping a few lumps of brass into the fires melting them and pulling over a small cast. She intended to cast the pommel this time instead of hand forge it like normal. “The names Cyrene by the way.” She sighed tossing another two lumps of brass into the fiery cauldron. Letting the flames get up to heat before she even began the next step. “Well…I suppose I could sell you a dozen shorts words at a hundred and ten gold mizas… Buy eleven get one free as it were.” Skimming the top of the now starting the melt brass she helped it along with a long stick pressing it into the hottest point.
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calder on January 26th, 2016, 9:52 am

After hearing her proposal, Calder still maintained his smile keeping away his calculating thoughts from his body posture , and face. Calder thought"Well I have about perhaps less then 100 gm, approximately 96 me right now so I need to get her to drop the price". Calder proceeded thinking about the proposal and specifically how to get a lower price , he thought that If he tells her his current price range, she will lower the price so perhaps lying would be best. However , Calder realized that he did not know how much specifically one short sword costed.

Calder spoke" Perhaps we can talk about the amount of short swords required as I can,t afford the amount you just mentioned and how much is a single short sword"? "Also can you craft weapons specifically meant for hunting animals for food"? Calder was a bit surprised that the women didn,t ask about him being a 14 year old merchant usually kids his age focused on studying ,or doing something else then running any sort of job.
Calder
Player

Character sheet

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 26th, 2016, 11:36 am

Her careful watch over the simple smelting process was calm and even, only after which did she realize that she was going to have to craft the guard for the rapier by hand. Intricate and strange designs were often the best things that went along with these kinds of blades...Sold better too. With Calder being quiet in thought the gripped the handle of the crucible and poured the molten liquid into the die-cast. A thin stream of liquid poured free of the crucible forming a thin line straight into the cast. The Steel plating having a thin layer of oil inside to help prevent the brass sticking to the steel. Cyrene raised an eyebrow having heard Calder mention about bartering the amount of short swords. And how much they cost individually.

“So…Alright then.” She let the crucible fall back with a small splash of bronze flying out to spatter and sizzle against the stone wall. “A single short-sword is ten gold mizas a piece.” When she finished her crafting ability and what a weapons specifically for hunting was. Much to her annoyance she now leered at him with the fury of a woman who’d practiced her craft and didn’t want to have to explain it. “Right…Kid. Simply put EVERY weapon is one you can use to go hunting.” She sighed and pulled the blade from the oil bath and gripping the end of the steel began to test the strength flexing the blade lightly feeing a small bend but no significant warping. Good. Taking it with her over to the grinding wheel she began to fix an edge onto it, sparks of steel now flying off to her bare stomach.

“So Calder…When it comes to looking for something. What exactly are you after? Or more to the point. What can you afford?” She spoke with a curtness to her voice now, hair tied back up and out of the way so the wheel didn’t grab it and pull it in.
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calder on January 28th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Calder stood there musing to himself when , Cryene answered his question about the individual cost being 1 gm per short sword yet that was the completely affordable to him having in reality 96 gold mizu, but thinking about money made him think about the safety of his money as If he ever got mugged in Alvadas in the middle of the streets he could very well lose a decent quantity of his money, but If a decent amount of It is stored the Inn for safe keeping would it be safe? No , Calder decided as there was no guarantee of it not being stolen even in the because a burglar may come in , and anyone can rent a room there no matter how poor , or shabby even a thief. Calder decided in the end that he could have to find a suitable place for his money.

Calder focused his attention on Cryene again as the Inara hybrid maintained his polite expression , but now It was a facade, a mask being used to hide his annoyance at her tone which he could describe as tamed anger with a hint of annoyance for asking a question , Calder mentally check that his body language did not leave a hit of his annoyance having learned from his Father to only remain polite unless otherwise needed in banter with customers , or sellers , masking his true emotions when needed , but he did wish that his father had taught him to imitate emotions other then being clam,polite,friendly. He answered in a polite tone, body language without a hint of annoyance displaying that same charm
" Well Miss Cryene ,I currently 96 gold mizu, but I think I will just require 2 short swords for trading If that fine"? Calder reason for low quantity of short swords was that , he needed to see If they would sell ,or not ,and If they did he would buy more.

Note: Only the stuff with the blue quotation marks, Calder is saying out loud.
Calder
Player

Character sheet

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 28th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Pulling the now sharpened rapier blade away from the grinding wheel. Both sides perfectly sharpened to a razor finish. A bevelled edge spanning the length stopping at a razor point. Gripping the blade by the tang she’d left open she gave it a good hard swing in her vice like grip. The blade cut the air with a hard swish. A smooth finish along the blade coupled with a marbling of the steels warp. Due to the heat of the fire. A small smile on her face as she took several of the engraving tools and etched her usual sigil the four interlocking triangles straight into the blade. All the while with Calder mulling things over in his head.

Eventually he spoke. He had ninety six golden miza’s on him. Why did he call them mizu…Odd. But he wanted two short swords to see how they sold. Only the two? Who in their right mind bought and sold from a shop that already sold their own wares. “Alright. Two short swords will run you 20 golden mizas. Not a copper less.” Her words were blunt and to the point. He’d tested her patience and seemed more clueless than he should have been. One didn’t come into a forge without prior knowledge of what one was after. She took the blade in her hands and in her vice like grip pinched the end of the tang into a round end. And then fed it through the threader. Twisting a screw like grip onto the end of it she got to work on bending a sheet of brass into the guard for the blade.

Setting the rapier blade to one side she began to heat the brass and cut a small hole for the tang to slot through into it. And then began to dome it round cutting another small hole for the crew end to fit through. The doming was easy but the design was difficult. She took the engraving tools to the edge of it and began to cut through the brass leaving relatively simple wind swept designs across the guard. “So anything else you want? Or you going to fork over the gold and take the swords?”
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Calder on January 30th, 2016, 2:13 pm

“So anything else you want? Or you going to fork over the gold and take the swords?” Calder had decided to cease any further banter with the blacksmith as If , he did said banter would be completely pointless as there was just way for him to trick the blacksmith into giving him a lower price. He usually tried to persuade people , negotiate with them If need be to get the upper hand, but to whom he did It to depended on wherever they were a tourist , or a local as If they were a tourist ,he could just trick the person ,and probably never see said person again. This tactic would not work on her as she was a blacksmith therefore knew how much each weapon actually costs , and a local. There was his magic his personal magic an art known as hypnotism feared among people even more so then other magic due to said magic having the ability to influence others , but as magic was a art with great risks many people didn,t learn It despite them having the ability to learn It thus causing a fear of magic.

This fear made magic a social taboo generally in all the cities the hybrid magic user was aware of, but it generally varied from city to city in some it was extreme in others It was small, but one thing is clear for Calder no matter where you are It is a taboo , and the city of Alvadas was no exception. Consequently this caused many people to never read about the subject at-least not publicly as If someone from what Calder assumed did ,said person would be suspected of using magic, and with this he assumed that the city population didn,t know that hypnotism only nudges people ,It can,t completely bend a person will merely manipulates It from what Calder knew at least.

To manipulate a person requires the Manipulator to know how said person feelings work,what there goals are anything to use to their advantage, Calder didn,t fear that he would be caught in his attempt of hypnotism rather he did not know much about this blacksmith called Cryene other then her being rather straight forward,blunt ,and disliking questions about her craft when she is working It seems,there he concluded that he would be unable to manipulate her ,and considering personal magic effect on a person is bad to say the least long term wise,he decided not to use his magic as It would be a waste ,and frankly just not worth the risk in his opinion.

He reached for his black pants which were mediocre,but taken well care of ,and dug his hand into his pocks taking out 20 golden Mizas stretching his hands, opening them so she would take the money stating" Will that do"? It was a question ,but It sounded like he already knew the answer was Yes. After he got his two short swords , he would turn to leave and say"Perhaps we will meet one another again, or get to know one another more". After he said that he would leave.

Notes: His notes about other cities is a assumption ,and his notes is what he assumes from his skill of hypnotism. He also assuming the taboo thing. Also how about we end the thread with the next post?
Calder
Player

Character sheet

Next