Solo [The Sanctuary] The Blood that Binds

Ialari, having found a new home in Riverfall, discovers that her quest for self understanding is about to take on a new twist.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Sanctuary] The Blood that Binds

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 11th, 2016, 3:05 am

3rd Day of Winter in the Year 515 AV

Now into her third day in Riverfall at The Sanctuary, Ialari felt, for the first time in a few years, awkward and out of her element. Amplifying this was the withdrawal she was experiencing from being away from the Ukalas and her Dominion. Over the past five years she had spent an increasing amount of time away from Mizahar, instead residing for longer periods of time in her Dominion. The scrolls given to her by Izurdin which held the secrets of Dominion, had stated that spending a long time in the Ukalas had unknown long-term consequences. Just as the Domineer affects the world around, the opposite also holds true. When she first arrived in Riverfall through a Dominion Door, her sight was the first thing she noticed had been altered. She could see the strong patterns of djed in people and objects. These patterns appeared as glowing fibers that weaved their way through everything. Unfortunately, that was the only positive thing she felt upon exiting the door.

Although it wasn't as pronounced at first, the feeling of separation from her Dominion had started to take its toll. In her Dominion, Ialari was connected to every aspect of the space she had carved from the Ukalas. She could feel herself walking across the ground as if the ground were a part of her own body. With some concentration, she could see herself from the perspective of her Dominion and could even alter the temperature, weather and mood with a thought. Upon returning to Mizahar, that bond was severed and Ialari was left shut out of inner workings of the world; forced to rely on her mundane senses in order to function. These limitations caused her to feel anxious. She found herself looking over her shoulder often and jumping at the simplest of noises.

The one feeling that remained that wasn't quite pleasing yet not all that unpleasant either was ever so slight jolt of energy she felt whenever she touched something. She discovered the feeling after the first couple of years of crossing between worlds and it was the only altered feeling that she found remained with her long after leaving her Dominion. Although the scrolls didn't mention it specifically, Ialari deduced that because she was gradually becoming a creature of both realms, her body was acting as some sort of small conduit between the two only in that by touching items in the mortal realm, she was able to physically feel their connection to the Ukalas. It was a connection that all things, living and not, shared and it was one that Ialari was thankfully still able to feel.

As morning arrived and Ialari awoke, she quickly realized that she'd slept the majority of her second day at The Sanctuary. The first day was spent getting to know the place and its owner, Kavala. The konti had displayed unrivaled generosity and kindness toward Ialari and in return asked only for an exchange of knowledge and services. Such a concept was something Ialari thought reserved only for the Isur. In return for her aid, Ialari agreed to work in Kavala's forge. The idea was yet another win in Ialari's mind as working a forge would allow her to be even closer to Izurdin.

Sitting up in bed, Ialari rubbed her face and looked around. It was dark though Ialari's vision adjusted almost immediately. Although there was sources of light, she preferred the dark. Slowly she slid out of bed and stood. On the stand next to the bed she found a pile of folded clothing and a pair of boots on the floor. Examination revealed the boots to be knee-high black leather while the clothing included silk undergarments, a blue linen dress, fur leggings, a fur tunic, a new fur cloak and a black silk chest wrap and skirt to replace the tattered ones she wore when she first arrived.

It was a nice selection that brought a bit of comfort to Ialari as she sorted through the cloths while deciding what to wear. She'd already decided she would visit the forge first thing. It would give her the chance to commune with Izurdin while also getting a feel for the place where she would likely be spending a good amount of time. While the chill of winter was heavy in the air outside, Ialari knew that wearing fur clothing in a forge was a ridiculous idea so she settled on the skirt, chest wrap and boots for the time being. The cloak would be more than enough to keep the cold at bay on her way to the forge. Next she looked for her backpack which lay up against the nearby wall. Taking it and setting it on the bed, she began to search through it. The pack had seen better days but still held up to the extreme amount of "stuff" that had been packed in and on it. Deciding to go through it all in detail later and start settling her possessions into her new room then, she retrieved her rather dull, well-used ceremonial dagger, her netted bag of seashells and a few of the smaller whale bones. While her primary task at the forge would be more of a occupational one, she had an idea for a gift for Kavala as a sign of gratitude.

Before heading for the door, Ialari retrieved the tube containing the Dominion Scrolls. She then knelt down and peered under the bed before stashing the tube in the bed frame. While grateful for Kavala's kindness thus far, Ialari was, by nature, not a trusting person and didn't know who all had access to her room. Making her way to the door, she noticed something on the floor in front of it, a key. A half-smile sat on her lips as she reached down for it then opened the door. Stepping out into the hall, she then turned and used the key on the lock. It seemed that Kavala was one that understood Ialari's distrust even if the two still didn't know each other all that terribly well.

Ialari then made her way to the main above ground facility as best as her memory of the brief tour Kavala gave earlier would allow.
Last edited by Ialari Pythone on January 21st, 2018, 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 11th, 2016, 5:18 am

The forge was across the main courtyard from where Ialari exited the tunnel from below. When she stepped outside, the cold of winter licked across her face. With her fur cloak pulled tightly against her body, she set off. Along with the winter chill came the odor of horse. It was a smell Ialari had never really cared for and never got used to during her short experiences with the creatures. Horses weren't a widely used animal back in Sultros Kingdom though the few human tribes who the isur blessed with trading used them extensively. The isur in contrast relied on their own physical might for jobs humans often used horses for and when assistance was needed, the isur resorted to using trained ixam. The great lizards were well adapted to the mountainous regions of Kalea and where the environment was too hostile for them above ground, they traveled the extensive network of tunnels that connected each isurian city to one another.

Although not caring much for the smell, Ialari had no real distaste for horses. She actually admired their great strength and durability and on occasion enjoyed their fleeting displays of intelligence. Regardless, Ialari found the most joy in the company of reptiles and more specifically, snakes. Her family name was taken from one of the strongest of snakes, the python and she had fond memories of her pet isurian python. Her family even maintained a snake breeding/care operation not all that unlike Kavala's horse facility.

The walk to the forge was a short one and Ialari entered it at the surprise of some of those already working there. She was the stranger in The Sanctuary, one of the few isur to visit much less inhabit the grounds. Upon entering, Ialari was greeted with the smell of iron and the warmth of the forge fires that remained warm despite not having been used since the previous day. Immediately she felt a calm seep into her flesh and dig deep to the bone. It was a comfort she hadn't felt for quite some time. Taking stock of her surroundings, Ialari noticed that at least for now, there was nobody else inside.

The forge itself, though vastly different from the isurian forges Ialari enjoyed back home, was more than adequate. It was well stocked with tools and materials as well as a collection of anvils for a variety of tasks. Setting the little gear that she brought on a nearby bench, she immediately set to starting up the forge and stoking the fires. Though not a master blacksmith by any sense, she knew her way around a forge and acted with well-needed confidence. As soon as the fires were burning strong, Ialari sat on a small stool and took in the increased warmth. She hadn't been given a task yet in regards to what was needed by the facility, her visit to the forge was simply one of familiarizing as far as her duties at The Sanctuary were concerned. As for her personal desires, she resolved herself to first restoring her dagger to a more serviceable condition.

At her Retreat back on the east coast of Syliras, she had worked with a very primitive forge that she used to maintain and manufacture very simple tools and materials that she used to survive. Unfortunately, she didn't have the appropriate resources to keep her tools as sharp as was considered ideal. The dagger she carried was one that she'd rescued from a ransacked temple in a raided isurian trading post years prior when she first left Sultros. It once belonged to an isurian priestess who'd been raped and killed by a human barbarian raiding party that had attacked and destroyed the post. Ialari had kept it ever since as a symbol of respect to the priestess and as a reminder that no matter what terrors she encountered, she would always strive to overcome them.

Standing from the stool, a brief search of the forge produced a number of different files used for sharpening tools. Choosing just the right ones, Ialari approached a nearby bench holding a handful of vices. Placing the dagger in one of the vices, she set to using the files on the dagger. With a skilled hand, she used the files on the blade to sharpen it. By using the right files when needed, the blade began to regain an edge. From time to time she would use her metallic fingers to add minor reshapes to the battered blade before continuing with the files. In a short amount of time, the blade edge return. Ialari proceeded to use a bit of polish found in a nearby cabinet to further care for the blade and bring out more of a shine.

Throughout the process, she spoke aloud even though there was nobody else with her. That mattered not however as her words were meant for only one individual, Izurdin. "Divine Father, I don't know if I've chosen the right path by coming here. I know that, as part of discovering who or what I am, I need to know what it is to be one of the living but I can't help but feel a little...scared. When I crafted the door to this place, it was the only place I could remember that wasn't home and wasn't unpleasant. I so wish I could've gone home but I'm not ready. I'm not ready to go back; not until I've found what I am looking for." The repairs on the blade were nearing completion as Ialari continued talking aloud. "I've given up the hatred for humans though I still don't like them. I've found out why I feel so empty and alone. I've discovered secrets buried for ages. Yet still I don't know why any of it has happened. I trust in you that your guidance has led me here to help further piece together that answer but I just hope that I can do your faith in me justice."

The blade was finished. Releasing it from the vice, Ialari held it in her metallic hand while testing the sharpness of the blade with her other. Perhaps it was the lack of time spent doing such things over the years or maybe it was the lack of familiarity with her surroundings that led Ialari to mistakenly brush her hand over the blade in just the wrong way but whatever it was, she ended up cutting her hand on the now extremely sharp blade. The edge sliced brilliantly through her dense isurian flesh, drawing blood. Cursing sharply, Ialari set the dagger on the bench and looked for a clean rag to press against the wound. In the process, she pushed one of the files she'd been using aside as she reached for a rag. Her blood smeared across file as she moved it. Taking the rag, she wrapped it around her hand and clenched her fist while biting her lip against the pain. It didn't really hurt, not like other types of pain she'd experienced but it was still quite uncomfortable.

What happened next forced Ialari to jump back several paces in shock. The file that she'd pushed aside, the one that she'd inadvertently smeared with blood, began to slowly twist and curl as if it were alive. The entire surface of the tool began to grow black while silvery veins spread across it. The end of the handle began to bulge slightly and while the other end began to narrow. In but a moment or two the file took on the form and shape of a small, foot-long snake. The snake was jet black with silver veins, color and pattern identical to Ialari's metallic arm. Its head sported two silver eyes and a silver tongue darted from its mouth. The snake, now fully formed, coiled itself up and looked in Ialari's direction. Immediately Ialari was struck with a feeling that she'd only experienced after completing the process of imbuing an item with Izentor, the Gnosis of Izurdin. She felt a tiny piece of herself in the snake as if it were one of her own creations.

What happened next, if anyone else would have been present, would have looked like Ialari had gone insane. She began giggling like a little girl who just received a favorite toy as a gift. There was no fear, a little confusion but overall Ialari felt an overwhelming sense of wondrous joy. "By Izurdin! She shouted. "How?..I...Huh? Slowly she approached the bench where the snake lay coiled. She carefully bent down and leaned her face in closer to the snake. It looked like the average snake found in numerous regions of Mizahar, at least in overall form but the coloring and patterns were unlike anything Ialari had ever seen. Gently she reached out a metallic finger to touch it. The snake let her touch the top of its head right before it moved quickly to slither its way to her hand before wrapping itself around it.

Ialari brought her hand closer to her face to examine the snake further. It seemed almost content to remain wrapped around her hand. Ialari hadn't known too many snakes to be so...friendly. Her mind was already spinning at overclocked speeds to process what was happening. Analytical as she was, it didn't take long for her to piece together at least the initial stages of what happened even if she didn't yet know the why. She cut her hand, her blood came in contact with the file which in turn transformed into a snake. Instantly she began asking herself what sort of magic was involved. She'd already encountered Kavala's talking animals and she knew that The Sanctuary was itself infused with magic. That however didn't explain why she felt the strange connection with the snake. Was it a one time fluke of some strange magical encounter? Ialari looked at her hand; the one wrapped in the blood soaked rag. "I wonder..."
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 14th, 2016, 6:07 am

Ialari looked from her injured hand to the one that held the snake. While the timing of what just happened was oddly convenient; Ialari having just finished speaking out to Izurdin, the whole thing didn't feel like Izurdin's work. This isn't tied to why you are here. Even though this odd magic makes for an interesting turn of events, it could complicate things. The voice in her head wasn't saying anything Ialari didn't already know. The voice was her own and not at the same time. It was hers mixed with an echo of a man, the shade of Amir Berliotz, Wizard of the Seven Robes. It'd been five years since Ialari's fateful encounter with Berliotz in the Aperture of Nyka. The wizard, having died centuries before, remained in the Aperture as a shattered ghost; many fragments trapped by their own inability to let go. In exchange for allowing the ghosts to use her body to reforge themselves, Ialari received information regarding the Lost Discipline of Dominion. The merging of Berliotz had nearly destroyed Ialari's mind and body. Even though she survived and ultimately delivered Berliotz to the hands of Dira, Ialari was left with the dead wizards fractured memories and experiences.

This shadow left on her by the wizard found a way to materialize itself within Ialari's Dominion. More a warped representation of Ialari's subconscious, the shade of Berliotz had since become something of a guide to her. When not in her Dominion, Ialari often heard the shades words speaking her inner most thoughts and feelings. It didn't say anything she didn't already know, just things that she didn't always immediately accept. Even though the voice was just in her head, she often answered it aloud. "Of course it makes for an odd turn of events. It's also absolutely amazing. There's no way in the fire god's ass that I'm going to simply ignore this. Gift from the gods or freak magical accident, I don't care, I'm here to learn about myself. That's what I'm going to do."

Ialari reached for a nearby fire poker and placed it on the bench. She then held her injured hand over the top of it and clenched her fist tightly. A few drops of blood fell from the rag onto the poker. Nothing happened. She continued trying to get as much blood to drop onto the poker as she could yet still it remained just as it was, a poker.

"Something's not right. I thought it was my blood..." Ialari slowly paced around the forge while trying to figure it all out. "I cut my hand, reached for the file to move it as I went for the rag. Wait, that's it." She stopped pacing and looked to a broom leaning against the wall. Removing the rag and setting it down the nearby bench, she took the broom in her metallic hand after letting the small snake wrap around her bicep. With her other she gripped the staff and slid her hand down the length of the broom; in the process, she smeared her blood on it. Leaning the broom back against the wall, she took a step back and waited. As with the file, the broom handle began to shudder, twist and curl. Wood quickly gave way to leathery scales as the broom transformed. The head of the broom morphed into the head of a snake while the handle became its body and tail. Brown turned jet black and raised silver veins spread unique patterns down the length of the snakes body; a body nearly five feet long, two inches in diameter, now coiled on the floor where the broom had once been.

Quickly, the snake slithered over to Ialari and began crawling and wrapping itself around her body before gently nuzzling its head against the base of her neck. Again Ialari giggled like a little girl as she leaned her head down to rub the snake's head with her cheek. She could now feel two separate entities in the room with her through the unique bond they all shared. Ialari didn't have to understand the how of it all, at least not at that moment. She was too busy reveling in the feeling of being able to sense the presence of the snakes just like she could with items she had imparted on using Izurdin's marks. Having the snakes seemed to also muffle the anxiety she'd been feeling since leaving the Ukalas.

After several moments spent giving attention to her new "children", Ialari was left not really knowing what to do next. Eventually she would need to figure out how to feed them and how exactly to keep them in general. She needn't worry about losing them as she could sense their presence even if she couldn't see them. She wasn't sure how much of her own self the snakes retained. Other than their unique appearance, they seemed in all ways to be truly living snakes. They did seem to share a strong affinity for Ialari; relishing her touch an attention. Seeing how snakes usually enjoyed places that were dark, damp and cool, that made for some limitations considering Ialari's current residence.

There was one option although it wasn't without its risks. She could craft another Dominion Door and thus restore her ability to access her Dominion. There was of course the problem of the existing door used to travel to Riverfall to begin with. Ialari wasn't quite capable of crafting a limitless number of doors too and from her Dominion. As a result, she would have to eliminate the door leading to Riverfall. Although it seemed like an easy enough task in theory, it involved a more complicated process of adding the right patterns and symbols to the new door that would in essence cause it to replace the other one; causing it to vanish permanently. If she didn't get the patterns just right, she wasn't sure what would happen though she knew it wouldn't be good.

All of that involved tasks best saved for a short time later. For the time being, Ialari decided to finish what she came to the forge for to begin with. As a temporary place to stay while she worked, Ialari gently removed the larger snake from around her body and placed it in a large, empty half-barrel that was normally used to hold water for cooling metal. She moved it to the outside wall where it was a decent mix between the cool temperatures outside and the warmth of the forge inside. Ialari placed the smaller snake in a small bag where it would be dark and confined. She left the bag loosely tied close to allow fresh air to get in and then hung it from a peg on the outer wall near the larger snake. It was the best thing she could think of with a lack of more proper accommodations.

Although difficult, Ialari turned her attention back to her original task; crafting a gift of appreciation for Kavala. The matter of the snakes, her blood and reestablishing a link to her Dominion would have to wait for now.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 14th, 2016, 11:48 pm

Ialari took stock of the materials and tools provided by The Sanctuary's forge while periodically checking on the snakes. The larger of the two seemed content to stay in the barrel while the smaller one took the opportunity to sleep in the bag hanging from the wall. Ialari's search of the forge produced a wide variety of blacksmithing tools, a collection of anvils of all sizes and purposes and a more than adequate supply of raw material in the form of bars, rods and ingots. The majority of the metal in the forge was iron however there was a smaller supply of copper and bronze. There were also supplies for drafting, planning and sketching projects including measuring tools, writing utensils and paper. It was with these tools that Ialari began planning the project she was to undertake.

Pulling up a stool to the drafting table, Ialari gathered the drafting materials, laid them out and began to got to work. As far as her actual blacksmithing skills went, Ialari was still something of a novice. She had a good grasp on the basics of planning as well as the beginning techniques of smithing iteself yet her actual crafting ability was rudimentary at best. She'd had experience with crafting simple tools and implements and had even practiced on a few decorative items. Despite her overall lack of advanced blacksmithing knowledge, Ialari maintained immense confidence in her ability thanks in no small part to her blessed arm. The isurian arm granted her the ability to shape material that she otherwise wouldn't have the skill to and her extended mark of Izurdin often made her creations much more beatiful and functional than they otherwise might be.

Setting the charcoal to paper, Ialari began sketching some ideas for Kavala's gift. There were so many things that came to mind that Ialari thought would be appropriate for her new friend. Friend, it was a term that felt a bit odd to Ialari. There were few other terms that she could apply however as Kavala had acted in ways Ialari had never really experienced before. The konti had offered to Ialari what the isur considered unparalleled hospitality and desired comparatively little in return. The way Kavala had handled herself, the offering of exchanged services and knowledge between the two of them was almost isurian in practice. Kavala had already mentioned having some experience with the isur yet Ialari still found it strange that an outsider could carry themselves with such posture.

As Ialari sketched and took notes, she thought of the possibility of horseshoes, buckles, decorate sculptures and other types of simple charms. Each one seemed almost appropriate yet not quite for what Ialari was looking for. Then it hit her; Kavala had expressed interest in learning a bit of blacksmithing from Ialari. While more than willing to teach, Ialari couldn't help but worry about the fact that Kavala was rather fragile as far as physical strength was concerned. Smithing in a way anything similar to an isur would require much more strength that the konti would simply not be capable of. This in mind, Ialari began drawing up a plan for a simple iron bracer. She used her own arm for the initial measurements before adding some adjustments. While Kavala was a bit taller than Ialari, the konti's frame was lighter and thus a slight reduction to the initial measurements was required.

The bracer would wrap around Kavala's arm and have straps of simple leather with a couple of buckles. Thankfully during Ialari's search of the forge, she found a wide array of buckles and straps in different sizes and shapes. Normally used for saddles, bridles and other horse-related implements, they would work perfectly for the bracer. Ialari's sketch slowly took greater form as she moved on from simple measurements to more design. The design part is where she would have to rely more on her isurian gifts. From what little Ialari knew of konti, they had some affinity for the sea which Ialari also shared thanks to her years spent living along the east coast of Syliras. Looking to the items she brought with her to the forge, Ialari began adding more details to the sketch. There would be a net pattern stretching across the surface of the bracer. Such a pattern could be accomplished by using her finger nails to scratch it into the bracer's surface. She could then pour molten copper into the scratches for a more refined look. Then there were the seashells and whale bones that she'd brought. The whale bones were rather large and not quite useful at least for the bracer yet the seashells provided some possibility. Ialari sketched five screw-shaped shells onto the surface of the bracer. She laid them out in-line so that it looked like five twisted spikes sticking out. She considered the bracer to not only be decorative but also functional for protection if necessary. It's main function she would have to impart onto it but that would come last.

With the sketch as finished as it was going to be, Ialari sorted through her collection of shells to see if she had what she was looking for. There were shells of all shapes and sizes; a result of a great amount of time combing the beach. It was but a small sample of a larger collection kept in her Dominion but it was enough that she was able to pull from it five, screw-shaped shells that would work quite nicely for what she had planned.

Standing and moving away from the table, Ialari retrieved a small iron ingot from a nearby pile as well as an even smaller one made of copper. She then picked out a few hammers, tonges and settled on an anvil. After a few moments of further preparation, Ialari took a few more looks at her sketch and made some more notes to help spur her imagination before heating the iron.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 15th, 2016, 2:05 am

With the iron ingot heating in the fire, Ialari gradually stoked the fire until getting it to the desired strength. She left the ingot as it went from red to orange then to yellow. Ialari used a pair of tongs to remove the ingot from the fire before it became white hot which would have been just a little short of melting. With what Ialari felt was a good working temperature for the ingot based on the heated color, she brought it to the anvil. Holding the tongs with her right hand, she picked up a fuller in the other. The fuller was a type of hammer with a narrow round face that was of great use in moving the metal around quickly. Raising the fuller in her metallic hand, Ialari brought it down on the ingot over and over. Using the tongs to turn the ingot on the anvil, she continued to bring the fuller down blow after blow. Ialari was careful not to hammer too hard else she would create folds in the iron when attempting to flatten it.

As she fullered the iron, small rises formed as it was drawn out. Switching to a flatter, a hammer with a brought, flat head, she flattened the rises. She repeated this process of fullering and flattening as she drew out the iron into more of a sheet. Periodically she had to reheat the iron to maintain malleability. The entire process could have taken quite some time if performed by one of lesser strength however Ialari's isurian arm provided immense force with each blow of the hammer. Eventually, the iron ingot had become flattened into a workable sheet. Although it was an irregular shape, it was otherwise flat enough to serve Ialari's purpose.

When she was satisfied with the thickness of the iron sheet; measuring it to ensure that it was as uniform in thickness as possible, she reached for small wax stick and a ruler to draw the lines that she would use for guides when chiseling and cutting the shape of the bracer from the sheet. Then, with a ball-peen hammer, she began pounding on the drawn lines in an effort to draw out the metal just a little bit more while also weakening it enough to cut. When she'd traced and pounded out a roughly square shape, she heated the metal once more before she switched hammers yet and positioned the sheet toward the edge of the anvil's face. Pressing down lightly with her metallic hand; careful not to mar the surface of the sheet, she held it in place while she hammered with her injured hand. The pain she felt ensured her focus on the task at hand. It reminded her that with every act of selflessness, there was sacrifice. The way the sheet was positioned, each blow of the hammer caused the sheet to slowly fold over the anvil's edge.

Ialari continued this method, turning the sheet when needed and gradually folding the sheet. When each fold was satisfactory, Ialari turned to her isurian gifts to take things a step further. When a fold was complete, she would use a metallic finger to gently push against the fold, parting the iron along its length. The effect this had was to keep the edge smooth and in the end make the finishing of the bracer easier. Four folds and separations later, Ialari had a relatively square sheet of flattened iron ready for the next step.

Traditional blacksmithing techniques, while invaluable to an isur, were only the beginning part of the process. The reason the isur were considered to be the greatest smiths in all of Mizahar was due to taking the smithing process to entirely new level. It was a process that even young isur, novices at best, were able to excel at. Ialari heated the square metal sheet once more until it was red hot. She then made use of the horn of the anvil although she did so in a way more like isurian blacksmithing than that of a non-isur. Now wearing only her boots and silk skirt, Ialari had removed her chest wrap as to not damage it as she prepared for the next stage of forging the bracer. Flesh may burn but it would heal and at most, scar. Fabric would be destroyed.

With the iron now heated, Ialari picked it up with her metallic hand; the heat hardly registering. She brought it to the horn of the anvil and began rolling her hand from side to side while pushing down on the iron. The effect was that the left and then the right sides of the sheet began to bend and curve. She used the entirety of her arm to hold the sheet in place as she maneuvered in multiple directions while smoothing, pressing and curling the iron. Soon, the square sheet began to look more like a curved roll with the ends not yet touching. When a tighter curl was needed than what the horn would allow, Ialari placed the rolled sheet of iron on the anvil's face, placed her arm into it and further manipulated it with her entire arm to form a tighter curl and get the piece to further conform to the shape of her forearm. Putting not just her arm but her entire body into the working of the metal, it almost looked as though she were wrestling the metal into shape.

Ialari, many times during the course of this stage of metal shaping, had to stifle back a cry of pain as the heated metal contact her skin. Dense as her isurian flesh may have been, the burn of the metal was no less painful. The cut on her hand too was stinging rather potently and she was forced on a few occasions to change out the rag she used to wrap the wound. A side effect of this was that she couldn't avoid getting blood on the work piece though it didn't seem to cause any strange effects on the iron.

The process up to that point had taken almost half the day though for Ialari time seemed to stop; such was the art of smithing for an isur. Finally, after working the iron to a point that it was sufficiently curled into the shape of an actual bracer and the curve tightened so that it no longer fit Ialari but should fit Kavala, the second to hardest part of the project was complete. Next came the punching of the slots for the straps followed by the etching of the net pattern.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 15th, 2016, 4:46 am

Punching the holes for the straps was a relatively simple matter. Ialari used the thumb and forefinger of her metallic hand to pinch four holes in each of the curled ends of the bracer. Employing the metalsculpting gift of her arm, she manipulated her fingers so to create roughly rectangular slots in the iron where the straps could run. The straps themselves would simple help secure the bracer to the arm but wouldn't do much for tightening it as it was made of iron and not something like leather. Using her fingers, she carved out the slots and smoothed the edges best she could. A bit of filing and polishing would still be needed toward the end.

Next came the net pattern. Cooling the bracer in a basin of water, Ialari didn't have a need to heat it for the next step. Taking a seat on the stool, she held the bracer in her off hand. With the forefinger of her metallic hand, she began pulling her fingernail through the iron. Her nail cut through the iron as if it were clay. Having handled all manner of netting during her time on the beach, she had a good image in her mind of what she wanted. With careful attention to detail, Ialari carved the net pattern into the bracer while using her fingernails to trim away excess iron created from the etchings. The etchings covered the entire outer surface of the bracer and took quite a bit more time to perfect. Whenever she made a mistake, Ialari would smooth the iron back over with her thumb before once more scraping away with her fingernail.

As the day gave way to night, Ialari finally finished the pattern. Moving the bracer around in her hands, she examined her work. Aside from a slight amount of sanding and polishing, it was shaping up quite well. At one point during the patterning, Ialari had paused to heat up a small ingot of copper to its melting point. Holding the bracer in her metallic hand, she removed the molten metal from the fire with the other using a pair of tongs. She then poured the molten copper from its basin onto the bracer while turning the bracer in her hand. This ensured that the copper covered the entire bracer as it settled into the etched net pattern. She then dipped the bracer slowly into water to cool the copper. Once complete, she removed the bracer from the water and brushed her metallic hand over it thus removing much of the excess copper from the surface of the iron. Using more traditional blacksmithing brushes would further clean it up but for now Ialari smiled at the newly formed copper details fused into the blackened iron.

As night grew deeper, Ialari set to the final major step of the actual physical construction of the bracer, the addition of the screw-shaped shells. Adding the shells to the bracer would be a bit trickier considering they were not made of any type of metal. Their strength, at least for the time being, would be far weaker when compared to the rest of the bracer. That is where delicate use of her isurian arm was essential.

After taking a few moments to check on the two snakes, she was happy to see that they were still resting calmly. She had a feeling they were getting hungry which meant that she would soon have that issue to address. In the meantime, she returned to the finalization of the bracer's physical form. Taking a seat again on the stool, she held the bracer with her off hand. With her metallic one she used her thumb to press five small, thumb-sized impressions into the bracer, all in a single line roughly an inch or so apart from one another. Then, taking a screw-shaped shell, she set it into the impression. With careful manipulations of her fingers, she held the shell in place while pushing the iron up against and around it as if securing a stick into a piece of clay. She did this with each shell until there were five of them jutting out of the bracer. Other than for the finishing details of brushing, filing and polishing, the main part of the bracer's actual construction was complete.

With a careful selected collection of brushes and files, Ialari began smoothing out any rough edges while cleaning up the left over copper that remained outside of its etchings. By the earliest parts of the next morning, Ialari had completed the finishing touches on the bracer complete with adding black leather straps and copper buckles. The final product was a blackened iron bracer with copper etchings in a netted pattern. Five spiraling, screw-shaped seashells extended out from the bracer in a line. It wasn't the most beautiful piece in the world but it was something Ialari was proud of regardless.

The most important step was yet to come however as Ialari would need to impart upon the bracer using Izentor. It was a taxing process that would require a few days of rest once it was complete. Before she could do that however, she had to tend to the needs of her new serpentine friends. This meant first finding them a source of food. Once she had them fed, she could work on securing a new Dominion Door so as to provide them a suitable home in her Dominion.

Cleaning up the forge and shutting it down after her use of it didn't take too much time as Ialari's project wasn't too extensive. When she was sure that everything was safely wound down, she put the larger of the snakes into a large sack while keeping the smaller one separate in its own. With her gear all gathered, Ialari left the forge. Walking a short distance to the stables, she sat her gear down and further formed an idea.

From what little experience she had around animals like horses, she knew they ate hay as other grains for food. The storage of said food sources often attracted rodents such as mice and rats. The few stables she had encountered in her travels all had their fare share of rodents. It was that fact that gave Ialari an idea. The stables were relatively quiet at that time of the early morning. The sun was still a long way from rising and the grooms had all gone to bed. The horses themselves were in various stages of sleep and grazing which left Ialari alone in the quiet to prepare.

Looking around a bit turned up an small empty barrel that could have been used for water or even feed. It had a lid with it which was perfect for Ialari's plan. Using her metallic fingers, she dug a hole in the center of the lid. A bit more scavenging quickly turned up a bit of horse feed that Ialari could use. She placed a few handfuls of feed into the barrel and secured the lid to it. The barrel was just tall enough that it would allow rodents to enter but wouldn't allow them easy escape through the hole. Ialari's plan was to capture as many mice and/or rats in the barrel as possible and then hand feed them to the snakes. If the snakes were indeed like others she had encountered, a few mice and/or a rat would maintain them long enough for her to reestablish the link to her Dominion and perhaps even introduce a small population of the rodents into it to help provide a steady food source.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 19th, 2016, 4:56 am

With the "trap" set, Ialari spotted a bench several feet a way to sit on. She wasn't sure if such a simple thing would work. Of course she had put together simple traps before but those traps were usually designed to kill so that she could have something to eat. They consisted mainly of pit traps lined with sharpened sticks or cleverly placed nets meant to capture fish as they tried to escape the receding tide. The barrel was basically a pit trap without the sharpened sticks. The unknown variable however was whether the rodents would be attracted to the bait. Much of what was stored in the stables was kept in sealed barrels likely to protect against the one thing Ialari was hoping to attract.

Although still quite tired and sore, Ialari settled herself on the bench with nothing but patience on her mind. Ever since her conversations with Kavala, the much needed bath and the time spent in the forge, Ialari had been feeling much more focused. The good food Kavala offered her didn't hurt any either. As she sat in silence in the darkness of the barn, she could still see the barrel quite clearly thanks to blessings of darkvision granted to the isur by Izurdin. While she waited, Ialari allowed herself to feel the presence of the two snakes through the strange bond she shared with them. The bond felt very much like that which an isur shares with items they impart on using Izentor. Closing her eyes, Ialari reached out through the bond and could feel the snake's presence. The bond felt as though it was passive in nature in that it was always there even if Ialari didn't specifically try to feel it. As a child, Ialari was taught that the Izentor bond was a lot like a finger or toe. It's always there and you can always feel it even if you don't consciously acknowledge it. As soon as you wiggle that finger or toe and focus on feeling that movement, then you become fully aware that it is there. You can then focus on what ambient forces are interacting with the digit. Essentially, the bond created an extension of the isur's body tied together by the shared fibers of the soul.

As Ialari reached out through the bond, she could tell that the snakes were very close. Though she knew they were in a couple of bags laying but a few feet away from her, she could now feel how close they were. There were two distinct bonds, almost like threads of string connecting each snake to Ialari. One bond was stronger than the other; the larger snake having the stronger of the two. Maybe the larger the snake, the stronger the bond... She thought to herself. Could it be like an item imparted on with multiple marks of Izentor as opposed to a single one? The more marks, the stronger the bond. The larger the snake, maybe the stronger that bond as well. Of course it was all theory at that point. Until Ialari had a chance to truly experiment with this strange new gift anything she thought was true could be vastly different. The uniqueness of the gift, of the snakes and the timing, it was definitely starting to look like Ialari indeed acquired one of the rumored "powers" that were popping up all over Riverfall.

As she further tested the bond, she couldn't gain much more from the smaller snake beyond its close proximity to her. There was a hint of what Ialari could only describe as affection or perhaps familiarity coming from the snake directed through the bond toward her. The larger one however, as she reached out to it, she could not only sense its location but also a definite feeling of affection. She could detect the snake's desire to be close to her and it almost felt like the attachment a child has to its parent which further reinforced Ialari's thinking of the snakes as her "children".

Ialari opened her eyes. That was when she caught movement on top of the barrel. Although she couldn't tell for sure from where she sat, it looked like a rather smallish mouse had jumped up on top of the barrel and was slowly moving toward the hole in the center of the lid. Ialari held her breath and silently screamed at the mouse to jump. As if answering her, the mouse disappeared through the hole and into the barrel. Ialari almost squealed in joy but stopped herself out of concern that she may scare away anything else that may try to investigate her trap. While a single small mouse might work for the smaller snake, it would take at least a couple more of a similar size or more preferably a single large one to satiate the bigger snake. From what Ialari remembered from her studies of snakes and their behavior, the smaller one would need to eat maybe twice every six or seven days while the larger one would need to eat only once in the same amount of time depending on how large to rodent was.

Ialari continued to wait and as she did, the night progressed into the next morning. While the sun hadn't risen yet, it was getting close. Soon the stablehands would begin arriving to start their daily chores. As she waited, she still couldn't quite get used to the horse smell that filled the stables. To anyone accustomed to being around horses, the smell was hardly noticeable; to Ialari it was quite potent.

By the time Ialari decided it was time to return to her chambers and get some rest before delving further into accommodations for the snakes, she had witnessed three other rodents of varying size enter the bucket. As she stood and approached the barrel, she quickly realized that she hadn't planned on how to get the rodents out of the barrel. It wouldn't be appropriate to carry the barrel from the stables back to her chambers which left her needing another way. A quick glance around her produced a stack of folded empty feed bags. With a shrug she decided to try and took one of the bags. Leaning down to peak into the barrel through the hole, Ialari's vision adjusted to the darker confines where she could see the outlines of four separate creatures. Two of them were small, one slightly larger and one more that was perhaps twice as large as the smaller ones. If she could get them into the bag, they would do quite nicely.

Pulling the lid off the barrel, Ialari watched as the rodents scrambled, jumped and ran around while attempting to avoid her. Holding the bag open with both hands, Ialari leaned into the barrel and tried to get the rodents to jump in it. The result of her first few attempts had her nearly losing her balance and falling inside and overall leaving her in danger of quickly losing any patience she may have had to begin with. Stepping back, she reexamined the situation. Little bastards...Jumping away every time I... Then it came to her. The mice were jumping away from her in an attempt to climb the side of the barrel and escape. If she could get the bag lower so that when they jumped the bag would be beneath them, it would all be over.

Setting lose her new plan of attack, Ialari held the bag open with one hand while steadying herself with the other. As the mice began jumping, she tried to move the open bag so as to catch them as they came back down. The first several tries were close but ultimately failed. Finally, after almost kicking over the barrel and forgetting the whole thing, she got one. Then another and another and finally the last one. When she had them all, she closed up the bag and pulled the ties closed. Having spent the better part of the early morning trying to catch mice in a barrel, Ialari lightly cursed herself before it turned into laughter at the absurdity of it all. Gathering the snakes, the mice and the rest of her gear, she walked back to her chambers just as The Sanctuary was waking up.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 21st, 2016, 3:35 am

The walk back to her chambers was thankfully short. Although she'd been through icy winters before, it had been years. So long spent on the coast and in her Dominion offered many opportunities to enjoy the warm weather and avoid the cold. Now, in Riverfall, the chill of winter was packing a greater punch to Ialari than she was used to on the other side of the known world. When she returned to the underground tunnel and made it to her chambers, Ialari settled back in. She laid the bracer on the bed and allowed the two snakes out of their respective bags on the floor at the foot of the bed. Kneeling down in front of the snakes, a smile crossed her face as she reached out to touch them. She gently caressed their black, scaled, leathery bodies with the back and side of her hand while both of the snakes lay coiled up on the floor. Many of their mannerisms were similar to snakes that Ialari had dealt with before yet there were some that were quite unique. The way they remained in a coil, at times a normal serpent defensive position and at others an offensive one, they displayed no indications that they were in either state of mind.

In fact, the snakes seemed to be acting quite neutral despite their posture. Though Ialari didn't consciously realize it, the snakes were exhibiting yet another aspect of their creator. Ialari usually maintained a defensive, observant posture regardless of her actual mindset. She was always observing her environment with an active, analytical mind and the snakes were simply mirroring her.

With the bag containing the captured rodents from the stables next to her, Ialari positioned it so that she held it with her off hand in a way that restricted the overall room inside. With her metallic hand, she untied the opening. Carefully she slide her hand into the opening. She chose to use that hand as she didn't want to get bit and crush the bags contents out of reflex. It did mean however that she had to be extra careful not to unintentionally squish the rodents. Reaching inside, she made sure to keep the bag tight around her arm so as to prevent any of the rodents from escaping. Slowly she felt around in the bag and felt the contents; the rodents were scared, tired and didn't try to escape like they had when they were in the barrel.

Gently, Ialari took one of the smaller mice in her hand and pulled it out of the bag; holding the bag closed with her off hand. Although snakes possess rather poor eyesight, Ialari could tell that the snakes were anticipating a meal by the way the pace of their darting tongues increased and their overall movement became more animated. With the mouse lifted by the tail, Ialari held it out in front of the smaller snake. Without the need for coaxing, the snake snatched the mouse in its jaws; opening them wide enough to get a good grip. Ialari let go as the snake began to pull the mouse further into its mouth as it worked to swallow it whole.

Still smiling, Ialari reached into the bag again and pulled out the largest of the collection. It wasn't as much a mouse but a small rat. Again she held it by the tail and dangled it in front of the larger snake. As with the first, it gracefully snatched hold of the rat and began swallowing it, little by little. Ialari noted that they indeed possessed fangs that differed from a common sikuva snake yet their overall mouth structure, at least what she could observe from their eating, was still different from a viper or even a constrictor. Neither attempted to use its body to constrict which alluded to their main means of taking down prey was their bite itself. As Ialari continued to watch the snakes eat, she noted that each appeared to have extremely powerful jaws that easily broke the bones of the rodents as they continuously applied pressure throughout the process of swallowing.

The more she observed the snakes, the more she began to notice how many isurian traits were displayed even though in serpentine context. Their coloring, their oddly patient mannerisms, the immense crushing strength of their bites and of course the bond Ialari shared with them all filled Ialari with a growing sense of pride. She even noted how the two snakes didn't appear threatened by one another. They were positioned very close to each other yet there was no indication that they perceived the proximity as a threat. She told herself that she would also need to figure out their gender.

As the snakes continued with their meals, Ialari was left with two mice still in the bag. The snakes likely wouldn't need to eat again for a few days at the least which meant she had little need for the remaining rodents. She decided that when she woke later, she would release them back to the stables so as to maybe catch them again later. Keeping them would be too much extra work and it would be a waste if they died before being able to be eaten.

Securing the ties on the bag, she laid it against the wall. She left the snakes to finish working on the rodents knowing that they would surely be resting soon as they digested their meals. Finally allowing herself to acknowledge her soreness and fatigue, Ialari decided to visit the bathing chamber before climbing in bed for some much needed sleep. She'd finished the easy part of the bracer but would need a lot of rest to undergo and recover from the imparting process that was to come. She had an idea for what she wanted to grant of herself onto the bracer but it still wouldn't be an easy process; it never was.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 21st, 2016, 5:36 am

Ialari awoke a few hours later. She was even more sore from her smithing session than she was before going to sleep. She hadn't used those muscles in so long that she felt as though she probably had displeased Izurdin a bit with such negligence. She vowed to make amends to the Divine Father with the new smithing duties that Kavala had planned. Before Ialari even opened her eyes she could feel through the bond that her snakes had made their way onto the bed. She then felt a rather sizable weight on her body. Opening her eyes, she saw the nearly six-foot long mass of snake draped over her body. Turning her head, she saw the smaller snake curled up a few inches away. Quietly she commented, "Can you two be any stranger? Whatever magic has done this...I think I like it." It occurred to her that she hadn't named them yet and they were definitely worthy of names. She didn't know their genders which made naming them a bit more difficult. "I guess I could check the old fashion way as to your sex but I'm not sure that would tell me much considering your the only ones of your species. So, let's see if this will work..." Focusing her thoughts and reaching out through the bond, Ialari followed the soul fibers of each of the snakes. As before, she could sense their affection toward her; the larger felt stronger than the smaller. Pushing past that, she tried to get some sense of identity from them. She was already able to discern the difference between the two links simply by their "feel" but despite trying to push the bond further, she couldn't tell the difference in gender.

"Guess I'll have to leave it to chance." Carefully she separated herself from the large snake draped across her body and sat up. Speaking to each snake as if they could understand her words, she spoke to the smaller one first, "I'll call you, Arith'tor, or Arith for short." In the isur tongue it meant, "my hammer". Looking over to the larger snake, Ialari smiled and said, "You my beauty, I'll call you, Reth'vol, Reth for short." It meant, "my anvil". To Ialari, the names appropriate described the power of the snake's crushing bbite and their obviously sharing the blood of Izurdin just like the isur.

Standing now, Ialari stretched with an audible series of pops. She then took the fire striker and a bit of flint from the stand next to the bed and used it to light a torch on the wall. The room was illuminated with a soft, flickering light. Ialari proceeded to dress herself in her new skirt and silk chest wrap and boots. She had a couple of things to take care of before she started the process of imparting upon the bracer. First, she left her chambers for the nearby kitchen where she had a small meal of meat and fruit followed by several cups of water. She would need food and water to keep her strong throughout the imparting process. When she was finished eating, she made a short trip to the stables to release the mice she had caught earlier. In order to avoid the odd looks that she would surely receive from such an act, she waited until there was nobody looking and then emptied the snakes behind a few bales of hay before putting the bag back in the pile where she'd originally found it.

Returning to her chambers, she found Arith and Reth casually lounging about. Yet another issue that Ialari hoped wouldn't be all that much of a problem was the normal need for snakes to have some outside source of heat in order to regulate their bodies. There was of course some small amounts of light available in her Dominion that also provided some heat but generally the magical pocket of space was designed much like a cavern in Sultros. With a full stomach along with some bread and water brought from the kitchen, Ialari felt at least she had that part covered before beginning the imparting.

The actual process of imparting wasn't the overly taxing part. Ialari would need to focus on the qualities she wished to impart into the bracer which she did so by recalling memories that dealt with those specific qualities. It was more than just remembering though as she would need to focus all of her attention on the memory at the expense of everything else. It was a great exercise in patience as she would need to push aside all distractions both outer and inner and maintain something of a meditative state throughout the process. Every detail of the memory would need to be called upon in order to active the gnosis; basically Ialari would need to relive the memory as if it were happening in real-time. When the memory was finished, a tiny piece of Ialari's soul would pass from her into the bracer. The side-effects of the process included extreme fatigue that often left an isur bed-ridden for days depending on the amount of imparting attempted; determined by the strength of the isurs gnosis. For Ialari however, the process tended to be a bit more physically taxing in the form of extreme muscle pain; pulled and torn muscles and bruising. It wasn't until relatively recently that she realized that the added pain likely came from the fact that she was stretching a soul that was already broken.

Positioning her pillows on the floor at the foot of her bed, she prepared a comfortable space to relax for the needed meditation. She noted the location of the water and bread as her hunger and thirst would be rather potent following a successful imparting. Sitting on the pillows, her back leaning against the bed, she began the process.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 22nd, 2016, 5:35 am

Comfortable on the pile of pillows with her back resting against the foot of the bed, Ialari placed bracer on her lap and laid her hands comfortable over the top of it. She then closed her eyes and turned her focus to her breathing. Inhale, exhale, slowly and uniformly; she thought only of her breathing. She concentrated on the sound and the feeling of each breath taken while maintaining a rhythm. Each breath was timed at 8 seconds of inhaling followed by an equal amount of time exhaling. The purpose of the measured breathing was to clear her mind of any other distractions. It was more of a meditative cleansing ritual that would prepare her for being able to focus on specific memories. The focus on breathing was somewhat effective yet, with all the extreme changes in her life as of late, it was hard to get a handle on the discipline needed to enter an appropriate meditative state.

Unable to keep random thoughts from entering the forefront of her mind, Ialari tried a technique that she'd only recently begun using to help herself sleep. She imagined her mind as being a finite space filled by a massive pile of trash. She then pictured a broom pushing the trash to the outer edges of the space only be shut behind a door to keep it from filling the space back in. The trash was the disruptive thoughts and the broom was her tool of focus. By focusing on using the mental broom to clean up her mind and empty it of distraction, eventually the space was no longer filled with trash and it remained held back by the doors of her mind.

It was then that she was able to give all of her attention to forming the memory in which she would draw the power needed to impart upon the bracer. The memory that she chose was that of when she was a child.

She was in her family forge with her father, Zyleron. When Ialari was younger, Zyleron spent more time at home than he did when she was older; much of his time then spent at the Silver Tower. That particular day however found Zyleron working on a project while Ialari looked on. She was only 12 years old at the time, very young for an isur. It wasn't the first time she'd spent time in the forge with her father but it was one of the more memorable. While Zyleron stood over the anvil, his powerful, jet black arm brought his hammer down upon a piece of red-hot metal, over and over. Ialari marveled at how his powerful arm, streaked with raised, silver veins, slammed the hammer down with such force that the heated metal gave in to each blow. Ialari's eyes moved from her father's arm to the hammer he wielded. He was always so proud of that hammer. He called it, Vizintir, after the family founder's legendary pet isurian python. Vizintir was the first isurian python the founder, Pythone Pitrius had owned. Pythone was one of the first few apprentices to the clan founder, Pitrius himself. Vizintir was the first of a long line of pythons that continued on even after the Valterrian.

Vizintir, the hammer, bore a heavy snake motif with the carving of a snake wrapping around the handle. The head of the hammer was shaped like the head of a snake with numerous symbols and patterns filling every other open space. It was empowered by extensive magecraft and had been imparted on by Zyleron's wife and Ialari's mother, Ivani. Ivani was a magesmith at the Silver Tower but also served as liaison between the Tower and Izurdin's Forge, the religious center of the Kingdom of Sultros where she served as a priestess. Vizintir bore a piece of Ivani's soul which Zyleron always kept at his side.

Her gaze shifting from the hammer to the metal as it was struck, Ialari noted how Vizintir bent and shaped the metal with each strike as easily as if one were tenderizing a piece of meat. Sparks flew with each hit and Ialari thought she could actually feel magic buzzing in the air throughout the process. She never tired of seeing her father at work. His posture was so confident and his physical power felt like it shook the room every time he lifted Vizintir and brought it down on the metal. She wasn't sure what it was he was working on but it didn't really matter as she was fascinated enough at the actual process over the product. The product itself was rather complex or at least Ialari thought it was since her father had been working on a number of different pieces. From the looks of the drawing he had made days earlier, it looked like the different pieces were supposed to fit together somehow.

At one point, Zyleron stopped and looked over at Ialari. A smile crossed his face and he asked her to come over to him. Hopping off of the bench she was sitting on, Ialari hurried over to her father. Zyleron reached down and picked his daughter up in one hand and told her to hold out her own hands. Confused at first, she did as he said. Zyleron then placed Vizintir in Ialari's open hands. "Hold on to it, go ahead, you can do it." He said to her.

Ialari closed her small hands around as much of the handle as possible. She was shocked at how light it was. Even as a young child she was easily able to lift the hammer in both hands. The hammer was not only light but it also felt comforting; inspiring a sense of joy and confidence in the girl. Having been imparted upon by Ialari's mother, she was feeling that bit of her mother's soul as she gripped the hammer. "Go ahead, you try." Her father said to her while motioning with his head to the metal on the anvil. With one arm he held Ialari while with his metallic one he held the heated metal in place. Looking at the hammer then to her father, Ialari had the look of "are you sure" on her face. Her father simply nodded his approval in response. With that, Ialari turned back to the metal and raised the hammer in a way to as best copy the way her father had except instead of using one hand she had to use two. She then brought the hammer down on the metal. Being a child the strike wasn't much but even in her small hands, Vizintir caused the heated metal to yield to the strike even if but a tiny bit. Ialari noticed however and so did Zyleron. Ialari laughed out loud in joy while her father smiled widely.

I was a memory that, despite all that Ialari had been through, she'd never forgotten. It was the only time she could remember spending time with her father that didn't involve magical studies, lessons on poisoncrafting or speaking of Tower politics. While it was one of the fondest memories from her childhood it also was a reminder of the sacrifice one made for magic. When her father became an instructor at the Silver Tower not long after that day in the family forge, he began to change. The joyful, kind, attentive father that he was slowly morphed into a strict, political, magic-focused man who, while still a loving father and husband, had lost much of what made him such a good father to begin with. Such was the nature of sacrifice of beinga mage. It was something that Ialari had been warned about long ago, the life of a mage was not an easy one and it always involved some form of sacrifice. It is that which made Ialari's memory of her father and her in the forge that much more important because it was in a time where neither of them had been changed by such sacrifices. At that moment in time, it was all about the bond shared between family; it was also about the forge and the power it held for Ialari and for the isur as a whole.

When the memory had ended, Ialari opened her eyes. She wasn't sure how much time had passed but the torch on the wall had gone out, leaving the room blanketed in darkness. She could see Arith and Reth curled up on the pillows next to her with the bracer still resting in her lap. She quickly tried to brace herself for what was coming but it never did any good. Almost immediately she felt as though her entire body, every inch of it, had been hit by a hammer swung by the arm of an isur. The muscles of her body immediately tightened followed by a wave of intense fatigue. Slowly her muscles loosened and the hammering pain began to dull but the fatigue remained. She was barely able to lift her arms much less do anything more extreme like trying to stand. Knowing that doing much more would be futile, she allowed herself to collapse on the pillows.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next