Solo Mr. Shabaan [job thread]

Atticus finally gets a master to apprentice under

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Mr. Shabaan [job thread]

Postby Atticus Leslie on March 28th, 2016, 7:57 pm

40th of Spring, near noon

Atticus stood in the Iraltu Observatory, near the center of the room, with his journal clung eagerly to his chest. The astronomers that overlooked Atticus and his work for a long time struggled to find an adequate master to Atticus' apprenticeship. He wasn't sure if it was due to his age, the excessive amount of time he spent doing his work, or the fact that he had delved deeply into mainly individual studies, but he was told just the day before that they had found not only a suitable mentor but one that would suit him well. They informed Atticus that this man was well-respected in the community, and even allowed to use the telescope on the second floor of the Observatory, nearly whenever he pleased. He was apparently nearly as busy with his studies as Atticus was, and had been for many years, hence his reluctance to take in an apprentice, until recently. Not many are sure why. But he was looking to pass on his work.

Atticus was all ajitter with anticipation. He clung to his notes, eager for the opportunity to share with someone knowledgeable on the subject. Up until recently, he hadn't the opportunity to speak to many people about his craft. Well, of course, with the recent exception of Casimir, who wasn't present here at that moment, perhaps because it was day and he was a Lethborn individual, and Davor Aveloz. Then there was Khara and Zhol, but he had told them out of necessity and only had scratched the surface of his studies and his knowledge. Whoever this man was, he wouldn't only be able to share Atticus' enthusiasm on the subject, but be able to contribute! A second opinion! The young stargazer broke into a broad grin at just the thought!

He nearly ran to work early that morning, and had to repress the urge to sleep there the night before. The absolutely gorgeous afternoon contributed in no small part his apparent glee. Everything seemed so much brighter today, everything was filled with twice the amount of promise, and he was nothing if not exuberant.

The Observatory was populated loosely with only a handful of astronomers that day, and little to no apprentices. Atticus had been looking closer at their relationships upon receiving the news that he would be working closely with a superior. They seemed... Close. Apprentices, when their masters were present, would follow them around on anything that wasn't as menial as retrieving a new tome or visiting a latrine. Otherwise, when both parties were present, they orbited each other closer than Leth did the planet, or the planet Syna in turn. It seemed like a fairly simple relationship; the apprentice assists in the master's private studies while the master instructs and teaches the apprentice more about their shared craft. Simple. But Atticus couldn't possibly know for certain. Though, soon he would.

He flipped through his journal absently, finding any pages of interest that could possibly impress his new master or best exemplify his work. His first page marked was his analysis on light, then his private star maps, followed shortly thereafter by his theories on why he believed most heavenly bodies were rotund, as well as his theories on the wobble of the planet that resulted in seasons.

And when he looked up, someone had entered.
Boxcode by Verena
Faceclaim credit to Bee. Love her.

For my friends and thread partners: An explanation
Atticus Leslie
It's a boy's name!

Words: 60564
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2015, 11:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Mr. Shabaan [job thread]

Postby Atticus Leslie on March 30th, 2016, 8:05 pm

In from the front door, carrying an air of utter and sure importance, walked a tall man of darker complexion, dressed sharply in a powerful mixture of exotic scarves and local suits. In the crook of his arm he, too, carried a journal, large and full of misplaced papers and bookmarks. It had seen obvious use over a good number of years. He couldn't be described as gray, per se, but more of an elegant silver. He radiated importance. He looked like the man Atticus wanted to be but felt as if he never could be.

He strode quickly with a long cadence, obviously a very busy man, and his eyes seemed to dart from wall to wall, absorbing everything he could, as he entered the room. Atticus' heart skipped a beat, and he wasn't quite sure if it was out of anticipation for coming eventualities or fear of the man's status parallel to his own. Unlike most people he met who seemed more than he, this man didn't seem particularly... Intimidating. Atticus wasn't afraid of him, he was afraid of not being able to reach the tier he had. He, while not particularly approachable, wasn't intimidating. He seemed encouraging, if only to be able to work alongside him and contribute to his work. Atticus' fingers tightened around the journal he clung to his chest.

The man's wandering gaze gave the larger room a general sweep before descending, and locking with Atticus' steady stare. He was sure, now.

That was him.

That was his mentor.

The man walked just a little bit faster to meet the young stargazer, and with each step Atticus' instinct to shrink grew ever and ever stronger. But he didn't want to leave.

The boy took a deep breath and stood tall with stern eyes, an obvious facade but a polite one, as the man approached, and Atticus wondered for a moment if he was nervous about being introduced to a new apprentice. Of course, he wouldn't have felt the way Atticus had upon meeting the man's gaze, but the idea as a whole to someone so successful and acclimated to a more solitary kind of lifestyle must be somewhat new. Atticus wondered absently what his master was like, if he had taken an apprenticeship. If he was prepared to teach. Sure, if he was half as brilliant as the community had claimed him to be, and if the praises they sung were in any way accurate, he was a brilliant man, but was he a brilliant teacher, after living and working alone for so long? He could only hope.

The man had stuck out his hand upon reaching the young boy, a broad grin across his face. Atticus, on instinct, smiled back.

"Shabaan." He said.

Atticus nodded, suddenly realizing the outstretched hand, and shook it as firmly as he could. "Leslie." He replied, mimicking the man's firm tone.

"Leslie?" He said. "Isn't that a girl's name?"

"It's a boy's name." He said, nearly immediately. It wasn't the first time he had dealt with this kind of response.

Oh boy. This was gonna be fun.
Boxcode by Verena

Atticus Leslie
It's a boy's name!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Mr. Shabaan [job thread]

Postby Atticus Leslie on March 30th, 2016, 8:06 pm

The man's face seemed to contort mildly, nodding in understanding as he released the boy's grasp. He looked around the room absently for a moment. I've heard a bit about you, but I'd like to hear from you before I form an opinion." He smiled, gesturing towards a desk nearby before wordlessly striding towards it. Atticus followed hesitantly, taking a seat next to him. "Alright Leslie," he said with a smile. "Show me what you've been working on."

Atticus beamed, laying out his journal between the two. First he had opened to his personal starmaps for every change in the skies. Shabaan waved his hand "Show me something new, Leslie. What makes you important?"

The young stargazer's smile had faded slightly. He nodded in understanding, deciding not to show Shabaan his most recent studies first, seeing as they might be incorrect, and Atticus knew they were incomplete; he was only at the experimentation stage. He, instead, opened to his own reasoning of why he believed the planet beneath them was round, and orbited the sun, while the moon was in fact a body that orbited the planet. A basic construct that used shadows in the moon's phases and direction of shadows on surface as proof, which he knew to be correct. Shabaan studied the pages for a moment and sighed deeply.

"This isn't new. We know about this. It isn't hard to figure out. Show me something new, Leslie. Show me something that... That..." He struggled for the correct statement. "Show me something that makes me want to teach you, son."

Atticus stared at him in defeat for a moment. What could I show him? He wondered. Atticus snatched the journal from the table and flipped it to his newest experiments on the composure of light. He sighed, staring at the pages for a moment, feeling like he had lost his opportunities due to his own incompetence. These thoughts and hypotheses were incomplete, some might even be considered moronic by the more experienced astronomers. But, as Shabaan had made him realize, the only reason the senior members of this establishment saw him as even somewhat talented was his interest in learning, not experiments that had yielded any results.

Morosely, he laid the book flat on the desk, open to his newest thoughts, and slid it towards Shabaan.

The aging man took it in his lap, reading carefully, his eyes darting quickly across the age in studious concentration as Atticus waited anxiously. There was a long moment of silence that had strained the young stargazer's ears heavily.

Finally, the mentor closed his apprentice's book and placed it on the desk wordlessly. He leaned back in the chair, staring at the ceiling in silence. Atticus, simultaneously courteous of the man's dedication of his time to him and frightened of his significance, stayed perfectly still.

He leaned forward, placing his hands parallel to the book's longest edges on the table. "That was recent?" He asked, without making eye contact with the lad.

"Yes."

"How long ago did you do the other things you had showed me?"

"It depends on th-"

"Answer me." he demanded quietly.

Atticus cleared his throat, doing his best to recall. "I was about ten when I had decided that the planet is curved, as well as most bodies. I've been working on the maps of the sky on and off since I was about four."

"And what went through your head when I asked you to show me something new?"

Atticus swallowed his own throat. "I'm sorry. I thought it might give you a better profile of what I've d-"

Shabaan held up his hand, and Atticus stopped speaking.

"From now on you will only show me things that distinguish you, do you understand? I already know that Mizahar is curved. I already know where the stars are. I know these things, Leslie." He said, and leaned in dramatically. "What I don't know is what light is composed of."

Atticus smiled broadly, proud of his work.

"Some of your ideas I would discard though." He continued. "Light isn't composed of physical strings. Otherwise rotation of the planet would create a constant shadow. And reflections wouldn't exist. Don't bother experimenting with that particular line of thought. Your other ideas though," He slid Atticus' journal back to him. "Experiment on them. I expect results by the end of the season."

Atticus nodded in agreement. Shabaan took his own journal from the floor where it sat and slid it over to Atticus as well. "Begin at page one. Skim if you need to. I'll be back." He said before getting up, and walking out of the Observatory.

There was work to be done.
Boxcode by Verena

Atticus Leslie
It's a boy's name!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Mr. Shabaan [job thread]

Postby Atticus Leslie on April 1st, 2016, 6:44 pm

OOCHey! This for the graders. Now, there might be concerns, as I am aware, with describing science in Mizahar. This will be a personal study conducted by Shabaan over numbers of years in a profession where it is possible to describe a final product. As well as that, and spoiler alert to those who are interested in reading this who are not graders, Shabaan is wrong. His research is based off of current science in Miz and will thus not be accurate due to the lack of understanding regarding nuclear energy and gravity, but he and Atticus both still exemplify astronomical, mathematical, and physical thinking in reaching these false conclusions. I would like not to receive any lores on the falsehood of these results, seeing as neither character knows they are false. Rather, if they are to be given at all, I'd really like them to be on the principle of thought or on the ideas being discussed but, if it can be avoided, I'd rather have my PC retain no information on something that is not fact in the form of lores. Thank you for your time. c:

It was... It was all brilliant. Atticus had forgotten everything other than fervent study of his new master's work over a countless amount of years.

The first page outlined a very simple, specific problem that Atticus could easily admit to not having even the faintest idea about. Not through inexperience or general ignorance, but just because this problem previously hadn't been outlined in any of the books he had read or any problems he had endeavored in. He couldn't even comprehend how one would try to solve this problem. But Shabaan had already begun. And it looked like he was nearly complete.

Shabaan endeavored to describe in detail the life cycle of a star.

Previous to reading the notes Shabaan had described, it hadn't even crossed the Leslie boy's mind that a star was inherently capable of dying. They seemed... Immortal. They seemed like a constant. Never ending. Never leaving. Ever bright, ever existing. But could they? Shabaan had stated that, if they could not die, then how did they begin? Why are they constant? How can they sustain themselves for a literal eternity without death? He argued that beings of such massive size that seem to frequently combust, much like Syna, to produce light and therefore an untold amount of energy, if it were at all related to its size, would eventually run themselves of the necessary resource to produce that energy.

He proposed an end. That the star, through combustion, would perpetually expel matter its matter through combustion over the span of time, which was relative to the star's size and general intensity, until it had been completely run of resources and become a shell of a star defined by a colder, less active remnant. It seemed... Logical. There hadn't been quite enough time for Atticus to sift through his proofs, not quite enough for him to actually develop his own criticisms, but certainly more than enough time to be thoroughly impressed by the man's work.

The pages had scribbled out mathematical proofs of uncertain purpose, as well as questions and notes that seemed to have been written in code for an unknown reason. The characters were easily recognizable, but in peculiar order, which made the word they spelled out ambiguous. He wondered why absently when, in his stupor, Shabaan had reappeared.

"Thoughts?" He asked

Atticus snapped out of his thoughts, doing his best to not act alarmed. "It's... Well." He turned back to the book Shabaan had given him, flipping through pages as he did his best to collect his thoughts. "I haven't been able to look over the math you've used but... The theories seem to make sense."

"How much of it have you looked over?"

"Just the beginning ideas."

"Then you haven't found my dilemma."

Atticus gave him an inquisitive look. Shabaan, in return, smiled. "Stars can vastly differ in size. It's a widely accepted thought here that larger or smaller stars would produce different outcomes upon death. We've seen different products, in fact, in the form of cloud-like figures around the corpses I've described."

Shabaan closed his journal, sliding it across the shared desk and back to him. He placed it on the floor, intertwined his fingers and looked at his apprentice. "That's what you will be working on with me while in my presence, Leslie. We will be investigating the life of a star. Particularly, the deaths of larger ones. And what they produce." He gave Atticus a knowing glance. "Maybe, Leslie, if I decide to keep you, I'll take you up to the telescope and show you some of what I'm talking about."

"Keep me?"

"Yes, keep you. My work is important, Leslie. I want to make sure it's done correctly, and if I am to play babysitter with my time that could be better used in investigation, I will at the very least have an apprentice with skill in the craft I am teaching him." Shabaan stood, taking the book from the floor and placing it, once again, in the crook of his arm. "I've already given you your assignment. Return to me by Summer at latest and tell me what light is composed of. Discover something, prove to me you are capable of innovation, and I will keep you. If not, then you are free to waste your time as you did before my introduction. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, you do."

"Good. You know what I expect. Seeing of light is in ample supply and your thoughts are based largely around its tangibility, I expect a tangible experiment. Get it done."

And with that, Shabaan stood and took his leave without goodbye, allowing Atticus time to think over what his new master had told him.
Boxcode by Verena

Atticus Leslie
It's a boy's name!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes