Closed Fresh Off The Boat (Hwyn)

Pho welcomes someone new to the city.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Fresh Off The Boat (Hwyn)

Postby Phobius on June 16th, 2016, 4:55 am

18th of Summer, 516 AV

Phobius let his legs dangle over the edge of the dock, carelessly swinging them back and forth as he gazed out at the sea. He had never realized how much water there was, and it seemed to go on forever, taking people to faraway places that couldn't be reached on foot or the back of a horse. Sometimes, when he came to this place, he got the chance to see someone set off in a boat. The bigger, prettier boats didn't leave as often, so he ended up missing them, but that was alright; he liked to sit and watch the smaller ones, and daydream about what it would be like to have his own boat. Most people bought them to fish with—he knew because he'd seen a lot of them filled with fishing rods and big ol' nets—but he would only want to sit in his and let the waves carry him wherever they wanted.

Smiling a bit, the boy picked a small loaf of bread up off of his lap. A short, plump woman with rosy-red cheeks had been selling bread at the Bizarre, so he'd bought it as a treat for himself, along with a little package of what the Meat Man—whose real name he had never learned—had called "roast beef." Then he'd decided to take his makeshift lunch to the Port, where he could sit on the docks and eat it with Nini, who'd been tagging along with him all morning. She didn't like to be left alone at the Inn, and insisted on going with him whenever he went out. Not that he ever complained about it; he loved the little bird's company.

When he reached for the roast beef, his feathered friend let out a squawk, starting to do a little impatient dance on his shoulder. "I know, I know," he said with a chuckle. "You gotta be a patient birdie."

She squawked, again, as if to tell him that she'd been patient long enough. Once he got the package open, he took a small piece of the beef and held it out to her, watching as she snatched it out of his fingers and wondering, for the hundredth time, what it was like not being able to chew your food. Then he took some more of the beef and made a sandwich with the bread. He'd let Nini have a bite if she wanted one, but all she ever ate was meat—and bugs, on occasion—so he doubted it.

"This is speech in Nari."

This is thought.

Note: Unless otherwise is stated, Phobius is almost always wearing a blue-beaded bracelet that alters illusions around him based on his mood. That can include player-made illusions. c:
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Words: 283495
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 12:08 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on July 25th, 2016, 8:31 am

Fresh Off The Boat

Perhaps he had been mistaken, the idea had been to find companionship and family right?

But so far he had found neither, joining the crew of the tipsy wench he'd hoped that he could find a feeling of belonging, but the close proximity to others and the smiling faces only served to increase his misery. He had people who called him friend but he didn't think he could call them the same, it wasn't their fault Hwyn was beginning to think, but his own.

Hwyn was beginning to realize that he was the strange one in the world, and he was being foolish to think that he could fit in anywhere, after this ship landed he was beginning to think he would run away, and not turn back, he'd be abandoning Shimoje, and the others but if he stayed, he wasn't sure he was going to be able to survive. His world aboard the ship was fading to grey a monotonous world where color was near nonexistent. He didn't even feel like crying he just felt numb. his world was fading to grey the only thing that broke the monotony was hard labor that left him tired enough to sleep through the time he could afford.

Looking at himself in his small mirror Hwyn frowned, the sad eyes that looked back at him felt hollow, like some sort of doll pretending to be human.

Then the call Hwyn had been waiting for sounded, the cry that land had been made and they could disembark from their voyage and be free from the confines of the sea.

Dressing Hwyn sighed, he'd be leaving this ship soon likely, for good he had ten days to decide but he already felt in what was left of his hear that this was no home for him.

Brushing his hair until his pail blonde locks shown and had a semblance of order to them He pulled on his back dress and dark stockings, the last feminine outfit he had had since losing the other in Syliras, belting on his dark shortsword and again looking in the mirror before setting out His appearance was gloomy, like that of a mourner, perhaps such a style befit him, shrugging Hwyn applied the red rouge to his lips bringing a crimson hue to his countenance, the color brought a small smile to his face, he hadn't worn makeup on the ship at all since the other pirates already thought him odd.

Walking down the plank Hwyn eyed the Sky and the docks, bleached white with age and sun and sighed, he needed color in his day, anything something that would bring him some sense of vibrancy and life.

Then Hwyn saw something that he decided was, to some extent colorful, a boy with vibrant colored hair and a bird perching on his shoulder. Approaching the stranger Hwyn decided that maybe this stranger could add some new Hue to the boring gradient his life had become.

Though as Hwyn approached his momentum slowly faltered, he might just make a fool of himself if he tried talking to someone out of the blue, maybe he should come up with a story or reason to bother him but as he was pondering this his feet kept moving and he come to stand near the youth with his tongue still tied in knots.

"hu-Hi, Uhm, P-pretty bird you have their, I-i was wondering, are you uhm, from this place."
Gesturing towards the city beyond the pier Hwyn realized that the name of the city now alluded him as did any other sense to string words together.

Hwyn reddened in embarrassment at how foolish he had just come off as.

Credit to Shimoje, the bestest buddy
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)

Postby Phobius on July 27th, 2016, 9:23 am

For a few chimes, Phobius simply sat and enjoyed his impromptu lunch with Nini, humming a nonsensical little song between bites of his sandwich. Aside from the distant chatter of fishermen and the gentle sounds of the waves lapping at the shore, it was quiet, and he liked that. Alvadas had been full of noise ever since the new people had shown up, so it was nice to be someplace that was a lot calmer and quieter.

Neither of them noticed when someone else came to join them; at least not until that someone spoke up, their voice quiet and anxious. A bit surprised, Phobius turned to look at them, and Nini followed suit, cocking her head at the stranger, who appeared to be a young girl with big, blue-green eyes and hair that looked like it was longer than his own. She stared at him for a tick or two, then seemed to become embarrassed, her cheeks turning the same shade of red as her lips, but he smiled at her. Talking to strangers wasn't always easy; sometimes, it made him feel nervous, too,

"Hi!" he said. "And thanks! I tell her that a lot. I know there's lots of other pretty birds, but I think she's the prettiest I ever saw, before."

As if to agree with this, the kestrel let out a little squawk. Phobius chuckled and reached up to scratch her on what he assumed was her chin...unless birds didn't have chins, in which case he had no idea what it was called.

"Oh, yup, I live here. Well, not here here; in Alvadas. Are you one of the new people?" he asked once he was done, looking back over at her. And then something occurred to him; something that made his amber eyes shine, like polished marbles. "Did you come on a boat...?"

He hadn't seen the girl arrive on her ship, the dock that she'd pulled up at too far from the one that he'd chosen as his sitting-and-eating place, but had a knack for being able to tell when someone was new to the city or not, and the ones who were didn't usually hang around the port unless they'd been traveling by the sea.

This is thought.

Note: Unless otherwise is stated, Phobius is almost always wearing a blue-beaded bracelet that alters illusions around him based on his mood. That can include player-made illusions. c:
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on July 27th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Fresh Off The Boat

If the youth had been bothered by Hwyn's lack of coherence in greeting he didn't show it. Agreeing happily as to the attractiveness of his bird he nodded and smiled at Hwyn. his posture was quite relaxed unlike that of the many men that Hwyn had worked with, swinging his legs as he sat on the dock it was hard to tell how old he was when Hwyn took his Boyish behavior in.

He was amiable enough and while petting his bird he confirmed that he did indeed live in this city, calling it Alvadas Hwyn remembered immediately that that was the name of the city and felt silly for having forgotten. the name of the city.

Then the boys tone changed as he returned a question to Hwyn, asking eagerly if he had arrived via a boat. In response hwyn smiled wearily.

"Uhm, A boat, Well a Ship that is, A cargo vessel called the Typsy wench, I worked aboard It on it's way from a city called Syliras. I think we were in the sea for a couple weeks at least, though time escapes me when all you see is blue water and blue skies for so many days. But, U'm yes and yes, I'm new and from a boat, and I don't know much about this city at all.... so if you don't mind, I'd like to know a little about it, uhm I don't have too much to pay you back with but any information would be useful and.... I'll do what i can to return the favor."

Making an almost sad face tinged with innocent curiosity Hwyn made a pair of sad eyes at the boy, it wasn't too hard to do since his feeling of being overwhelmingly lost was in part real, though it might have been a little exaggerated, after all such pouts tended to be handy when getting things from people.

Hwyn was hoping that at the very least the Boy could direct him to somewhere he could get a bite to eat or somewhere he could stay in the city while he planned out what he would do next.

Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Phobius on August 3rd, 2016, 2:55 am

The girl offered him a bit of a smile in return for his own, then answered him, and Phobius listened to her words, rapt with attention. He didn't know what a "cargo vessel" was, but it sounded like it was a kind of boat—well, ship, if there was a difference between the two. Syliras, however, was a place that he had heard of before. Some Alvads at the Inn who'd lived there for a little while had told him that it was a big city, and that no matter where you went, there were always people. To him it had sounded like Alvadas was, now, only busier; much, much busier.

The girl then said that yes, she was new, but she didn't know much about the city and would like to learn what she could. The bit about not being able to pay him back made Phobius tilt his head at her, and Nini did the same, the bird and the boy moving in almost comical unison. "You don't need to pay me back," he said, frowning when he saw how sad she looked, all of a sudden. Almost as though she was getting ready to cry. "And don't be sad. I'll help! I'm good at that!"

Wanting to stop the tears before they started to flow, the boy stuffed the remainder of his sandwich into his mouth and got up, startling Nini, who flapped her wings and squawked until she could regain some semblance of balance on his shoulder.

"I showed people around Alvadas, before. I lived here for a long time, so I know where a lot of the best shops and inns and places to get food are. We could go all over the city!" he said, getting on the tips of his toes and throwing his arms into the air in a grand gesture, which startled Nini even more. Feeling a bit bad, he muttered an apology to her—a mere word in his native tongue was all it seemed to take for her to settle down—then shifted his attention back over to the girl and smiled.

"So, what do you wanna see? And what's your name? Mine's Phobius, and this is Nini."

This is thought.

Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on August 8th, 2016, 6:42 am

Title and Date

Hwyn suppressed a small giggle a the behaviours of both boy and bird, the two seemed to have a rather decent connection to each other. Beyond that the boy, who identified himself as Phobius, and his bear as Nini seemed quite kind and amiable. His offer was kind and he seemed genuinely troubled in reaction to Hwyn's offer to pay and following pout, it made him feel a little bad for doing that. It wasn't to often Hwyn met people who were so genuinely kind.

Phobius informed Hwyn that he had shown people about the city before and that he had lived their for a long time. So it would make sense that he could have him show him anything in the city, but he still wasn't sure at to what it was he could desire to see in the city. He didn't know the first thing about the city. It was an odd predicament and his first instinct was to ask to be shown everything, that said that wasn't exactly a fair request. So he would try to limit himself.

"My name is, Hwyn, though it's kind of a hard thing to say what i wanna see, How about you just show me your favorite places? I'm pretty much happy to go anywhere."

Giving a slight bow to Phobius Hwyn gave him a radiant smile, a genuine one. He was already starting to look forward to wherever the boy was going to show him. He had heard that Alvadas was a special city but he was excited to see how.

"I'll be in your care today, so lets have fun, right?

With that Hwyn hoped to have made a good impression the boy before him seemed of good character and Hwyn trusted him to not lead him into danger over the course of the day. Though he would have to find a way to think him before the evening was over. Something fun to remember him by maybe.

Pondering to himself Hwyn tried to line out some details for his goals, he did want to get Phobius to show him a place where he could get some more fashionable clothing, though Hwyn didn't have the slightest clue as to what fashion was even like in Alvadas, that would be something to research today as well.

Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Phobius on September 1st, 2016, 3:46 am

WORKIN ON IT, I SWEAR

This is thought.

Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes