Closed A Different Kind of Poison (Dexius)

Paranoia as venomous as the bite of a spider.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

A Different Kind of Poison (Dexius)

Postby Aislyn Leavold on June 18th, 2016, 11:18 pm

50th of Summer, 516 AV

Which was the best direction to walk in?
It was a question any Alvad faced on a daily basis. There was no real point in trying to seek somewhere out, considering the nature of the streets, so it was often up to personal preference which way someone walked. Aislyn liked the left. Every morning, regardless of her destination, she left her abode and walked to the left. If it were to be night, she walked to the right. Thief liked the right. It was a preference, just like everything else in life. People had preferences, just as the city did. And prefer it did- for the moment, Alvadas appeared to prefer dead ends. Which was entertaining, for all of ten ticks. Then it grew rather problematic.

Aislyn could never truthfully say she hated her city, but after a night of wrong turns, she could say with a small bit of truth that she had just the slightest distaste for the current layout of Alvadas. Not that she could really complain- she didn’t have a destination, after all. All she had was a crossbow, and a determination not to stand still. After all, the only reason she was out at all was the fact that she couldn’t do anything else. The whole season, she’d had trouble sleeping. If she were truthful, it wasn’t just this season, either. Spring had been troublesome, as well, but with the sudden political turmoil of the summer, everything seemed to have gotten… Worse. She couldn’t sleep. Her dreams were full of visions of the winter. When she awoke, she couldn’t always tell whether or not she was still dreaming. Under her eyes, dark circles sat. ‘Maya’ never wore them, of course- being an illusionist was wondrous for the skin- and to be tired would be rather un-Maya-like. But ‘Thief’ could be tired. ‘Thief’ was always tired.

It was as Thief that Aislyn patrolled the streets; her only solution to her inability to sleep. The nighttime was relaxing, a “good enough” alternative to slumber itself, even if it didn’t really help the exhaustion that would then weigh on Maya’s shoulders the next morning. Thief didn’t care. Thief didn’t care about many things. What she did care about was the quiet, and how peaceful the nighttime was. In the twilight hours, there were less people, which was a rarity with the post-immigration rush Alvadas. It was rare to see another soul on the streets, and certainly no soul out that late at night wanted any sort of conversation. That was the beauty of the night.
The beauty of Thief.

The only downside to walking alone at night was the danger that came with it. Nothing bad had happened to Aislyn personally, but one night she had become witness to what could be a mugging, or could have just been an argument gone awry. Either way, Aislyn hadn’t stuck around, and hadn’t dismissed the possibility that she could be next. She, of course, had said nothing of the incident. She was more of a listening kind of person, and listen she did. In the end, when one rarely spoke, one was privy to hear many things. Such things often included rumors of what was going wrong in Alvadas that day.

There are attacks every night.
People are going missing again.
The pilgrims are to blame.
The Speakers are to blame.

Enough to cause a good amount of paranoia, but nothing too serious. But yet, there had been one conversation Aislyn was not happy to hear.

The undead are returning.

A rumor. Nothing more, nothing less. But Aislyn knew as well as any Alvad that rumors were dangerous things, and sometimes in Alvadas all it took was spoken word to will an illusion into existence. Fear was running rampent in the city of illusions, and there was little anyone could do to stop it. For once, however, Aislyn didn’t feel disconnected from the panic. After the officiation of the Sheathewhisps’ authority, it became obvious that not a single Alvad was exempt from fear. Not even the Speakers.

As she walked, Aislyn fiddled with a crossbow bolt, fresh from her quiver that swung side to side on her back. Even with the Sheathewhisps doing what they could, not much had changed. The death of the man- by crossbow, of all things- had made as much obvious. Aislyn had heard plenty of rumors about that event, too. One such rumor had even blamed a certain blonde archer that might have gone by the name ‘Maya’ for the killing.
Aislyn’s knuckles grew white with how hard she gripped the bolt between her hands. She had a good idea where that rumor had originated.

Nonetheless, Aislyn had not stopped her walks. Almost every night- or whatever nights she could not find sleep, at least- she patrolled the streets she had walked along all her life. There was not much she brought with her- crossbow, quiver, notebook, some charcoal pieces, and perhaps some food, if she were so inclined. The notebook and charcoals were, of course, for drawing, should she find herself plagued by dead ends or otherwise unable to walk anymore. It was in such a dead end she found herself at the moment. Sighing, she slipped the bolt she carried back into her quiver. It was a drawing day, then. Petch it. She had commissions to finish, didn’t she? This was good. It didn’t matter.

Taking a seat in the shadows of the alley, Aislyn drew out her sketchbook. She held the charcoal in her left hand. Thief was not an artist. What would Thief draw?

From somewhere outside the alley, conversation drifted. Aislyn ignored it for the moment, and the sound eventually passed. On the page before her, a drafted sketch of assorted topics came to life. Faces. Walls. A pair of boots. Quite a few commissions nowadays asked for nothing in particular, as long as it looked nice. She was a well-enough established artist to have a positive reputation, resulting in quite a few return patrons that knew her work was pleasing. Thus, she was given more artistic freedom, and thus, art block was all so much more deadly. She just needed something- anything- to draw. Tapping the charcoal piece on the paper, Aislyn let her mind wander until a rather unwelcome sound drew her attention elsewhere. Footsteps, but not just outside the dead end. Coming her way.
Setting down the notebook, Aislyn exchanged it for her crossbow, keeping her breath steady as she notched a bolt on the string of the bow. At best, it was some lost soul that would eventually petch off elsewhere.
At worse, the rumors about the undead were true.

"Speech" - Thought
Last edited by Aislyn Leavold on August 19th, 2016, 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Words: 647829
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 9:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
2016 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2016 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Dexius on June 19th, 2016, 4:17 pm

"Forward, keep moving forward and don't think about it." The weary Symenestra trundled forward through the streets of his new home in Alvadas for another night alone. The city was being particularly unforgiving though as of late as most of the streets just came to dead ends, which was normal but it seemed there were a lot more than usual. Not that Dex had any particular place to be right now since it was so late, but regardless, constantly coming to a blocked path eventually wore at one's nerves. The time of night also made the city feel like an empty maze, barely any of the citizens of Alvadas were on the streets this night which was a blessing and a curse.

Truthfully, Dex was hoping to run into somebody out in the dark alleys of nighttime Alvadas. Since arriving at the city he had failed to make many acquaintances and was therefore feeling a tad bit on the lonely side for once in his life. The constant draining of the nightmare also picking away at his psyche clearly was not helping either. He began to think he was seeing parts of his dreams roaming around the city but keeps putting it off as a side affect from lack of sleep.

Click click click. Dex's restless sleep also began to make him feel anxious at times so he fiddled his rapier in and out of it's scabbard with his thumb as he walked on. Rumors had it that something dangerous was brewing it the city so perhaps staying on the anxious side could prove to be helpful in the event of a less than ideal encounter tonight. Right turn, dead end, turn around, right turn, left turn, dead end. "This city can be so ridiculous sometimes."

Somebody was stabbed recently in the city, more attacks happening now than Dex remembered hearing about when he first settled down in Alvadas about 41 days prior. But perhaps he just was not listening in the right places to hear the rumors that mattered? But regardless, Dex knew he abhorred senseless violence, innocent blood spilled felt like the worst offense in his eyes.

Clack, clack, clack. The sounds of his sandals on the stone roads of the city came to a stop once more as Dex turned around to pick a new direction. "A dead end? Of course." Continuing on Dex heard a few people chatting off in the distance but they could be anywhere. Not that he would run into anyone on accident in the dark anyhow considering the strength of his night vision. But that didn't make the city pretty to look at during the night hours, sure his eyes could absorb more light in the surrounding area but that just left everything in a grey hazy backdrop.

He rounded another corner and came to a stop in the street. Dex looked up at the night sky, or what might be the sky here in Alvadas he wasn't ever really sure. Rubbing his eyes he continued to shuffled forward down the street he was on. "When will anything exciting happen here at night? I keep expecting to run into a would be mugger or maybe even a thief. At least then maybe I could put my blade back to work again." As Dex finished rubbing his eyes he adjusted his scarf, which was almost always pulled up covering part of his face. His eyes now finally returning to normal sight after being full of colorful dots he came to a hard stop. He pushed a few strands of his pitch black hair out of his face to make sure what he was seeing wasn't a trick.

There on the ground about five feet in front of him was a girl, yes now he was sure of it and she was holding a crossbow pointed right at him. Dex quickly looked at the surrounding area and saw some supplies around her, a notebook, and a few pieces of charcoal lay on the ground as well. "When I said I was looking for excitement that doesn't mean I needed some girl waving a crossbow in my face." This come off as a bit louder than normal, as if he was trying to talk to somebody he couldn't see while also being filled with a hint of annoyance. "Can we just...put the weapon down please? I really don't feel like becoming a living pincushion tonight, lady."

Dex looked forward passed her to see what lie ahead on this particular street. There was nothing, of course nothing. But she was just sitting here in the dark with a crossbow and some paper? He looked back at the woman in front of him. Short dark hair on her head, not the most common hair style around but what did Dex know about women's hair outside of Kalinor? Probably nothing, but her dark clothing made for an especially appealing question to ask. "So dark clothes in a dead end with a crossbow and some drawing supplies in the middle of the night. Either you're the scariest artist I've ever seen, you're actually trying to rob me right now, or a little bit of both. Which is it, eh?"

"Strength is born of those with a burdened soul"
"Weakness is born of those with a perfect smile"
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius
Embracing the fear, chasing the fight

Words: 115381
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 2:21 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aislyn Leavold on June 19th, 2016, 7:01 pm

50th of Summer, 516 AV

For several long ticks, it was silent. Aislyn kept the crossbow level at the throat of her opponent, who, for the moment at least, said nothing. No screeching, but not all the undead had made noises, either. The physique of the figure matched what Aislyn had seen, as well- tall, pale, and silent. The rumors were true. All true; they must have been. The undead had returned to Alvadas.
Eventually, the silence was broken by a sound that the woman couldn’t exactly describe as ‘speech’ coming from the figure’s direction.
Her heart beat a bit faster in her chest. There was no other explanation. Whatever she was facing was already dead. She had to shoot first; she hadn’t survived the apocalypse just to die in some back alley.

Her finger hovered on the trigger. Why did she hesitate?

Almost as an answer to her question, the figure spoke. With a jolt, Aislyn moved backwards. Not dead. Definitely not dead. She had nearly shot some lost soul that wasn’t even petching dead. Not dead yet, at least. But certainly not friendly. As her eyes adjusted to the scene before her, Aislyn began to make out more details. For one, a rather threatening scarf of some sort was obscuring the majority of the figure’s facial features. Secondly, this man clearly did not fear her, but perhaps he was a good actor. At the mention of putting down the weapon, she stood up from her crouched position, though the bolt was kept level with the figure’s chest. Unafraid, perhaps, but unfazed, no. Regardless, now would be the time to speak, if there ever was one.

”...No.”

What an amazing response. Great conversationalist. Fantastic work.
Thief was never one for words. But, obviously, this new man was. How unfortunate. And he appeared to be rather perturbed by her drawing of a weapon, like it wasn't him that had been sneaking about, coming up behind her in a darkened alley. For all she knew, he was the one with the weapon. She had to remain vigilant. She would not be taken advantage of, nor tripped up, nor tricked. She was the one with the weapon; the one in control.
For now, at least.

Letting the man do the talking, Aislyn tried to figure out why he hadn’t just turned and run. Or just kept walking. He seemed to have no trouble seeing in the dim light, having easily seen her, so why hadn’t he just left at first sight of her? And that was another question, how had he seen her? She had been fairly well concealed, or at least, so she had thought. In an outfit all in black, in the shadows, dressed as ‘Thief’ no less. He wasn’t even carrying a lantern. No candle, no source of light other than Leth in the sky.
Unimportant. Think about that later.
For now, she had to focus on not being skewered on whatever sword it was the man was carrying in the scabbard on his side. Insistently, he rapped on it with his thumb, as if he were challenging her.

For the moment, her position was advantageous, but if things were to actually escalate into a fight, she would be no match for a weapon of such hand-to-hand style. She had her daggers, but they were sheathed at the moment, not to mention quite a bit smaller than whatever it was the man was carrying. Her only other secret weapon were the bladed boots, but Aislyn hadn’t even tested unsheathing the hidden blades in those, nevermind actually using them on a person. A last resort, then, if things really did get ugly.

Concentrating again on the task at hand, Aislyn stifled a laugh when the stranger mentioned artistry vs. larceny. Technically, he wasn’t wrong. Thief was no artist, as was obvious. Thief was just as she seemed- a thief, plain and simple. But that wasn’t her goal at the moment, and she certainly didn’t plan on adopting such a goal anytime soon.

”You’re in luck,” Backing up just far enough to pick up her belongings, Aislyn slipped the fragile charcoal back into her pack before picking up the notebook and tucking it under her arm. If she needed to make a run for it, she would rather leave with everything she came with. ”Artist.”

"Speech" - Thought
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Dexius on June 19th, 2016, 8:06 pm

"An artist you say, good news then...I have a need for somebody with a talent for the arts, sadly that is not where mine lie." Dex was beginning to notice the casual agitation in her demeanor: standing up, taking steps back, and collecting her belongings. He stopped to think about himself for a moment, he wasn't really that threatening was he? Click click click. Stupidly, Dex realized he was basically posturing to draw his sword on the woman in front of him. Slowly he brought his hand away from the hilt of the blade in an attempt to lower the tension in the air a bit.

"Sorry about that..I uh..have been feeling a little restless lately guess I developed a bad habit."
Dex took a few ticks to think of what to say next to possible help out his situation in any way. He wasn't the best conversationalist but he seemed like a regular at the local pub compared to her. "Look lady, i'm not here to attack you or anything so you don't need to seem so angry." Dex scratched the back of his head thinking about something, anything else that may have caught her ire in the last few moments.

About three ticks later he sluggishly tilted his head forward and let out a short sigh, his body language would scream "oops." He brought the palm of his right hand up to his forehead and ran it down his face, like somebody would do if tired or dealing with an obvious situation. With this Dex also pulled down the red scarf from his face, fully revealing his facial features to the woman in front of him, including his pale skin and soon to follow sharp canines. The look on his face screamed indifference, almost like something, or even nothing particularly mattered to him at the moment, a neutral face for sure. "Like I said i'm not here to hurt you or anybody else unless they want to hurt me really. Just haven't had much sleep lately and with all the occurrences I've heard of since I moved into the city I thought I might check things out for myself."

Dex placed both his hands open palm down in front of him, he wasn't going to threatening right now, she would still get at least one shot off before he could close the gap. "Look, i'm pretty new to the city proper here and i'm not in the business of making enemies, especially not when they are toting a crossbow." For a moment he pushed his hand forward as if to initiate a small handshake. "My uh..my frie-.." He cut himself off for a moment as his hand slinked back to his body and his expression changed to one of emptiness. "Don't be a Dra you idiot." "My name is Dexius, but people who know me just call me Dex."

"Why do I care so much about this person pointing a weapon at me? Am I really that ridiculous or do I really think this person and I could have anything in common to talk about?" "Can you please just put the bow down now? If I wanted to hurt you don't you think I would have acted on your inability to shoot again and just charged you? I just don't want to become a pincushion, but what I do want is perhaps your skills in drawing, if they are for sale and up to the task." The expression in face lifted back to what it was prior, back to a look of casual indifference.

He looked behind the woman again as he had done just a few ticks ago, definitely a dead end back there. "Where was she going to back up to? The wall?" "Plus no offense but you picked a particularly bad direction to retreat to, that's uh, just another one of the many dead ends I've seen tonight. They have been all over the place as of late, but i'm sure you noticed."

He casually shifted his weight back and forth between his legs, obviously still a little restless since he stopped fidgeting with his blade. A yawn escaped his lips before he looked behind him, the way he had just come. "But if you want to go, feel free, just hurry up before a dead end shows up there as well. Then we'd be stuck here together, and i'm not sure I could deal with a crossbow in my face for the next few hours." Dex scratched the back of his head before sighing, he really wasn't good at making friends for whatever reason.
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aislyn Leavold on June 19th, 2016, 9:52 pm

50th of Summer, 516 AV

Fantastic. A man corners her in a dead end, indirectly threatens her, and asks for an art lesson, of all things. All while ‘Maya’ wasn’t even present. She kept quiet for the moment. She was never one to deny a chance to draw, but this was pushing it a bit. Would he even be able to see the paper in front of him if she tried to show him how to draw something?
Of course he would. He had seen her in the dark from ages away, he could most definitely make out parchment a foot from his face if he put the effort into it.

Biting her tongue, Aislyn listened to the explanation of the threatening gesture. A little restless. Brilliant. Aislyn hadn’t exactly slept well, not to mention seeing undead creatures behind every passing shadow, but she still hadn’t shot him when given the chance. One could say she was ‘a little restless’ as well. Every movement the man made seemed to irk her, especially the way he kept referring to her as ‘lady’. She did have a name, after all.
Well, actually that wasn’t true. She had yet to come up with a name for herself.
That was something that was going to need remedying rather quickly.

Gods, this man was one of the immigrants, wasn’t he? The way he spoke, so brash and disrespectful. He clearly hadn’t been here for long, or he would understand why she needed to ”seem so angry”.

”Perhaps I seem angry,” She paused, thinking through her words. She didn’t want to seem rash, but she was Thief, after all. Quite frankly, it didn’t matter what he thought of Thief. ”Because you're a petching bandito in a dark alleyway amidst rumors and attacks going on all season.”

Ah, that felt nice. Adjusting her grip on the crossbow she fidgeted between her hands, Aislyn furrowed her brow at the mention of sleep. Wasn’t that just rich. ”I haven’t slept a full night’s sleep since the eightieth of winter.” She gave a crooked smile. Sometimes, it was so refreshing to be Thief. ”You certainly are new.” When the man stumbled over his handshake, Aislyn found herself to actually be enjoying the situation. For a moment, she thought back to the nights she had spent on the floor of the Bastion, during the Alvad-pocalypse, thinking about all the ways she could help if she weren’t so incompetent with a bow. She had wanted power, and if she was a better shot, perhaps she’d eventually gain that power. But for now, the man had no idea how her skill with a crossbow measured; she could be the greatest shot in Alvadas, for all anyone knew.
Then again, she could also be facing the greatest swordsman in the world.

The situation was as much an illusion as her appearance, and she could mold it to her whim. All she needed to do was keep the façade alive

”Dexius. It’s a pleasure.” There was no way to tell if the name was a lie, but considering what Aislyn was planning to do, it wasn’t like she was in a place to judge. What letters hadn’t she used? After several years, all her personas began to blend together. A… B… C…
”Raimu.” Eventually, Aislyn would use every letter out there. Then she’d start again. How many years that took depended on how long she lived, and how long people kept insisting to speak to Thief.

”What language was that?”

In all honesty, Aislyn really was curious. The way he spoke was quite obviously not common, and sounded more like intense whispering than anything else. She had never heard such a language before, and the illusionist was not a fan of not knowing things. For a moment, she thought back to her lessons in auristics with Tail. A magic to help you know things. Perhaps it was time for a trial run.

Despite the indifference Dexius put forward, Aislyn saw the sincerity in his words. He really did want her to put down her bow, didn’t he? Copying his expression of expressionlessness, Aislyn rolled out her shoulders as he mocked her direction of retreat.
”Offense taken.”
She was well aware of the dead ends- who wouldn’t be, by this time in the season?- but where else was she supposed to be backing up to? ”If I really needed to be leaving, it would be the same way I came.” She motioned with the crossbow. Somehow, Aislyn didn’t find it necessary to outright state the fact that escaping through the only exit would most likely involve stepping over a dead body if the need arose. His dead body, of course.

At the mention of leaving, Aislyn considered it. She could leave. She could just walk away, out of the alleyway, and back onto the streets. Find somewhere even more secluded, and begin to draw again. But where would be the fun in that?
”You’ve gained my attention,” Aislyn brushed a strand of ‘black’ hair out of her eyes. Paranoid or cautious, whatever one wanted to call it, she stayed vigilant with her bow. ”Give me a reason to teach you.”

"Speech" - Thought
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Dexius on June 20th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Dex looked down at the woman sternly when she mentioned the last time she had enjoyed a full nights sleep. His body had been going on with partial sleep now for almost half a season longer than her and that was beginning to take a toll on his well being for sure. "The twenty-second of winter. That was the last time I fully enjoyed the sweet serenity of sleep." His thoughts floated back to that fateful day, the day he regretted more than anything else in existence.

He finally received an answer he really wanted from the woman in front of him. "Raimu huh? I suppose the amount of names out there is limitless, never heard it before." Curiosity washed over him as the question spilled forth from her mouth. "Had she really never seen or heard any other Symenestra before? I mean there weren't that many of us here in the city but still, nobody ever stopped to ask what race I had belonged to." Honestly, Dex was really confused. Sure the world was a large place and the cities in the Kalea region were pretty closed off to each other but the Symenestra had been in this area for hundreds of years at least.

"It was simply the tongue of my people, nothing more, nothing less." His statement was a half answer, he knew, but it also seemed prudent to keep some valuable information to himself since she appeared curious about it. Dex watched her roll her shoulders for a moment before she responded. "Well as sorry as I am about offense given perhaps it should not be taken so lightly." He was beginning to get a little on the hot side, considering the slightly stressful situation he found himself in and the fact that it was mid summer was not helping either.

While unwinding the scarf from around his neck her small threat came forth unto him. He chuckled out loud for a moment, he was sorry for it, but could not contain himself. "A cute little threat, but I feel it might be an empty one." With the crossbow waved in his direction one more he simply folded up his scarf and tucked it into his cloth trousers. He looked back up to her, his silver key shaped necklace now visibly dangling from his neck. It tugged slightly to his left, an indication of which was home was from his current location. "If you were going to shoot me to leave you would have already done so and been out of this alley. A hit to either of my legs would have all but guaranteed your safe escape from this situation."

"Sometimes you have to do the damage and get out Dex, disarm or otherwise disabling your opponent might be what you need. Just remember that if you are ever in an unfavorable fight. Even the odds or make an escape for yourself." These were words from his father, training Dex from a young age to be strong for his family, but most importantly to live at all costs. A pang out guilt rang out through his heart, he left his family after his entire life and all of his experiences were handed to him on a silver platter.

Her words snapped Dex's mind back into attention. "Oh now I have her attention, I thought I was just a leaf in the wind. Humans were such a strange race to be around, always beating around the proverbial bush as it were." "A reason to teach me..hmm. Well perhaps there is something you would like in return? Mizas? Information? Some kinda of training perhaps?" He was almost at a loss for words here. He wasn't rich, he barely had sixty Mizas to his name so as it is. Neither did he have a lot of relevant information that could be used here in Alvadas. Fighting with a blade, that was his only relevant talent, that was his art form. Perhaps though, that is what he could use as trade. He crossed his arms as he awaited her response. "Well, which is it? The negotiations start with you Raimu."
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aislyn Leavold on June 20th, 2016, 2:54 pm

50th of Summer, 516 AV

Oh, so she was in good company then. What was his reasoning for being unable to sleep? The twenty-second of winter… That had been the calm before the storm- in Alvadas, at least- but this man hadn't even been within the city of illusions at that point in time, from what Aislyn could gather. Still, his way of dodging questions irked her. The dark setting, the high tensions... The situation was beginning to approach eerie similarity to her meeting with a certain snake.
”And your people are..?”
Aislyn had her suspicions, but she'd learned before that jumping to conclusions got her nowhere. The man was either Dhani or Symenestra- that much she was certain of- but there was no use asking directly. She'd never had a full conversation with a Symenestra, after all, though she had heard plenty about them. Perhaps that was something to change. For the moment, Dexius wasn't exactly hostile; maybe she could learn something from the encounter.

At the instigation that her threat might be empty, Aislyn gritted her teeth. If he really had advanced on her, she would have taken the shot, but he was right on one count; she wasn't exactly going to shoot him without a reason. Paranoid, she might be. Trigger happy, no.

Coin, information, or training?

”Ten silver,” She was technically giving him a discount. The last time she had taught someone, it had been fifteen gold. ”And I have a feeling I’d like to hear about where you hail from.”

Shifting her stance, Aislyn lowered the aim of her bow to the ground. Thinking for a moment, she paused before pulling the trigger. Horse shyke, empty threats. Underestimation was a powerful weapon in Aislyn’s arsenal, but sometimes it could be so frustrating. It seemed she could train all she liked, even seek power in magic arts. She could be the champion of Ionu, for all anyone knew, and people would still call her bluff. Petching immigrants.

The discharge of the bolt wasn't purely for intimidation, though. One of the first lessons she'd been taught whilst learning her favored weapon was to never remove the tension on the string once it was in place. The bolt could be removed of course, but dry firing could break the crossbow in half. Or break Aislyn’s hand in half.
Overall, taking a shot at the man seemed like a much better idea. Besides, she wasn't that bad of a shot. Any fool could hit a stationary target five feet away, training or no.

With a thunk, the arrow landed between the man’s feet, to which Aislyn responded by pulling a crate from the side of the alleyway and setting her backpack down. Unceremoniously, she dropped a handful of charcoal pieces atop it. Not too unceremoniously, of course. Charcoal was a fragile medium.

”What kind of training?” He probably meant the sword he carried, but perhaps there was something else as well. If she were lucky, the man would be in the same situation as Tail had been; a magic wielder, new enough to the city to forgo the stigma against teaching. Ultimately, Aislyn had to capitalize on what chances were offered to her. In the end, she was an opportunist, whatever happened. The sword, on the other hand… regardless of Aislyn’s dislike of up close conflict, perhaps some sort of melee weapon could be useful.

After all, one could never have too many failsafes

"Speech" - Thought
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Dexius on June 20th, 2016, 4:12 pm

A few moments had passed since Dex had given the woman the floor to talk. Hopefully she made a decision soon as any passerby could almost cut the tension with a dull knife. There she stood, crossbow in hand still pointed straight at him, an eternity felt like it passed before she spoke again. "His people, yes I suppose somebody like her might have a little trouble discerning my exact details in this pseudo darkness."

"Some people call us the Widows, but that title lies on the derogatory end of things, born of fear and malice. But at this point, unless you've never heard of us, i'm sure you can guess that i'm a Symenestra." Dex noticed the anxiety in the woman continued to increase for the moment, teeth clenched in her mouth as he spoke. Ten silver? Is that really all she wanted as a payment from him? Information about Kalinor as well, a mixed bag then. "Fine then ten silver it is and i'll answer any questions you ask about my cavernous home."
Dex looked down and reached into his pocket pulling out a handful of silver mizas with a couple of gold rimmed ones as well. If he was to get robbed out on the street he certainly was not going walk about with all his assets in his pocket. Sifting through the silver mizas he realized he was just one short, but of course he was. That was always just his luck, always having a little too much small coin but never enough of it for what he wanted. One gold miza it would be then he decided as he snatched it up with his left hand.

Thunk! Dex heard the release of the crossbow and then the thump of the bolt it was armed with hit solid matter. He clenched his hands and his eyes shut at the sound. Was he really going to be shot by the woman after all this? Did she just want to see how many mizas he was carrying before she executed him? But then a tick went by then, two, three, and four before he realized he hadn't been the target of the bolt. There on the ground between his feet was the bolt she had fired. Placing the extra mizas back into his pocket, three gold and nine silver to be exact, Dex then reached down to grab the exhausted wooden missile.

Inspecting the bolt he saw that the shaft was strained and now cracking slightly, probably not worth firing again, therefore probably not worth returning to the owner so he tossed it to the side. "Now i'm not sure that was exactly necessary." He was matching her gaze again, gold miza still grasped in his left hand. She set her bag back on the ground after grabbing a small nearby crate. A few pieces of what he could only assume was charcoal were placed down on the improvised table. Although, placed might have been putting it lightly as a few of the black materials broke into even smaller pieces.

Walking over to the crate he flipped the gold miza down from his tall perch. It landed on the crate before rolling about for a few ticks, then, unceremoniously of course rolled its way right off the box, clattering flat on the street below. "There is your ten silver, I hope a gold miza is sufficient for a transaction such as this. And as to what kind of training, I am a practitioner of the sword and not much else really..." His voice trailing off into silence. "But perhaps we can get to that another time."

Dex looked back up from the coin on the ground, now face to face with this woman for the first time. In addition to what he saw earlier, now he also noticed a subtle roughness in her. This woman had done or seen something that went against her normal moral ethics perhaps? "Perhaps she is a killer like me..but that seems unlikely now." Quickly realizing he was not keeping his thoughts to himself he switched back into common tongue. "You don't really seem like you get out much, I guess that's an artist thing. Then again, I don't get out much either I suppose. So shall we get started here or move to another location to perhaps shine a bit more light on your surroundings?" Truth is that Dex wasn't a big fan of the dark. The constant gray scale that the environment was covered in was almost saddening to see in contrast to the colors of daylight.
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aislyn Leavold on June 20th, 2016, 7:03 pm

50th of Summer, 516 AV

The Widows. Not a new title, but Aislyn hadn't gotten this far in conversation with a Symenestra for quite a while. It was the eyes that gave it away, she thought. And the voice. Dhani were… hissier. They also didn’t have glow-in-the-dark eyes.
That settled it, then. A spider. Her mother had been her main source of information about such beings, but considering the woman’s intense fear of spiders, she couldn’t exactly take her word for fact. Aislyn had never been particularly bothered by arachnids in general- they had a purpose, after all- though she wouldn’t deny the fact that she knew very little about the race that copied the features of spiders. They weren’t exactly something seen everyday, but that didn’t make them any more interesting than anyone else on the street. A race was only as interesting as the individual, after all.

Impassively, Aislyn watched as the coin did an intricate dance before perfunctorily collapsing in the dirt. With a tinge of annoyance, the woman picked the coin up from where it had fallen. She was planning to ask quite a few questions, not to mention taking whatever skill the man had to offer. Thus, there was no point in overcharging him miza-wise. She needed him content with the circumstances, after all. She slipped the coin into her boot before setting her notebook on the makeshift counter besides the charcoal. Practitioner of the sword... No magic for the moment, then, nor anything else it seemed. She disliked the idea of ‘another time’, considering how easy it was to simply disappear onto the streets of illusion and never be seen again, but for the moment she didn’t argue. Art first, lessons later.

The man kept speaking, and though Aislyn didn’t object to not having to be the one pressured for speech, she did admit that the way he switched languages so smoothly was irritating, especially with the unnecessity of it. As she got out her supplies, she avoided looking in Dexius' direction for the moment.
”I hope you realize I cannot understand you.”
The spider-tongue language was eerie, to say the least, and with Aislyn’s lack of understanding, foreboding in a sense. If he knew she couldn’t understand him, who was he speaking to? Everything he said could have been a lie. The whisper-like language could be some sort of incantation, or perhaps a message. Then again, he didn't exactly seem like the kind of person to instigate such a plot.
’You don’t seem like you get out much’. Bloody hell, the man was useless.

”What makes you think that?” Thief was a rougher illusion, certainly, but she lacked the shyness of Maya. At the mention of moving, Aislyn looked down at the 'table' she had assembled. ”I believe we’ll be fine here,” She paused. Supposedly, the man’s ability to spot her in the dark was some feature of Symenestra heritage, like how Aislyn’s Zith blood allowed her more lenience in the night. He must have been well off, was he not? That meant they were fine. Besides, the way he spoke at her rather than with her was tiresome. With you. You ask. Your surroundings. She wasn't exactly going to give him the pleasure of a 'yes'. ”Unless you’re afraid of the dark?”

Pulling a page from the back of her notebook, Aislyn laid out two blank pieces of parchment to use. There was nothing particularly drawing-worthy of their surroundings, nor anything that immediately came to mind. When she had taught before- which was not often- she’d had some sort of scene that was requested. The sea, or the sky. Leth. Or Syna. This man had yet to define what exactly he wanted out of this interaction, though. What could he do with the skill of charcoal and parchment? What did he have to gain?
”What is it you want to draw?” Before, she’d started with a tree. Some paints. People were complicated; inanimate objects were not. Why is it you want to draw?”

"Speech" - Thought
Aislyn Leavold
Just an illusion.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Dexius on June 20th, 2016, 8:20 pm

With coin-in-boot and notebook placed down on the on the crate in front of him Dex decided he should probably try to get a better vantage point on what she was about to teach. He shuffled around so that he was occupying the opposite corner of the same side of makeshift table as the woman, careful enough to give her space. It took him a moment to realize what she had meant about her not understanding. It was just so normal to speak out in Symenos that sometimes he really didn't even notice it wasn't common. But in this situation, obviously, he was glad that it came out in his home tongue.

"Sorry about that. I feel that talking out loud to yourself can sometimes lead you to something you wouldn't have thought about in your head. Almost as if I expect my skin to give me a different answer than my head, a silly habit..probably." Every time she spoke, her words felt like venom. Seeping out and piercing the almost one sided conversation between the two night owls. Dex was obviously trying to avoid responding to her backlash about not getting out. He wasn't sure why he said it in the first place, he just was trying to fill in words and it usually came out incorrectly.

"I'm fine here if you're fine here. I was born in a place darker than the cloudiest, moonless night, it is not one of my fears. Then I suppose we shall be staying here for the duration, at least until you threaten to shoot me again." A grin appeared on the young Symenestra's face, exposing a sharp canine to the woman. This was also the closest thing he had come to smiling tonight or even the last night. "How long had it been since I smiled at anybody or anything? Her crude humor is at the very least raising my morale a bit if nothing else." Dex picked up the parchment that was laid out on the box in front of him, a blank canvas, waiting to be filled.

To her first question about drawing, he simply removed the small key shaped necklace from around his neck and placed it down on the 'table'. Thud, thud. Now if the small necklace on the crate were inspected, it would appear to be made of a metal with some luster, silver most likely instead of the normal iron. At the top near the chain both sides of the key were marked with written engravings, both in common. He brought his hand slowly, if not reluctantly back to his body. "This is what I want drawn...shouldn't be very difficult I imagine." Dex began to fiddle with a corner of the parchment at her questions. Why had she gotten so inquisitive all of a sudden, did it really matter why he wanted to draw it?

"I simply have desire to...but I don't have the capacity to do it by myself. Besides, there is a certain...person that I need to be able to draw for." Another half answer, he started to wonder if she really would threaten him again at this rate. But then again, he couldn't tell if she really even wanted to be doing this right now. Sure the woman obviously wanted to know about his home, she had asked for that specifically. But she could have probably bought a few tid bits of that information from him. Instead she opted to actually give him an art lesson, in the dark, at the end of an alleyway. Alvadas is a weird place with some weird people and this human was no exception. "Unless you have another question to ask, shall we begin?"

This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets