Signs, Languages, and Stores

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Aladari Coolwater on July 17th, 2016, 12:30 am

Hey, all! These questions aren't super urgent, just my own curiosity for Mura flashbacks, so if no one knows, don't worry about it.

Up until now, I have been operating under the premise that most (if not all) store signs are written in Common, as well as any signs within the stores (such as the "Don't forget to breathe" sign in the Alvadas library). In Sunberth and Alvadas, this is most likely true. However, what about places like Avanthal, or Mura? Would these places have signs in their native language? If so, would a foreigner have to have someone else translate?

I don't know of any stores with listed prices inside off the top of my head, but would this problem also apply to numbers, or does each language use the same numeric system/alphabet?
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 9th, 2016, 1:32 am

All signs would be in the native language of the city. For example, in Riverfall, they'd be in Tukant. In Mura, they'd be in Kontanese. If a city speaks common as a main language, they'd write their signs and banners and any other information in common. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)