[Unverified] Shani

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Shani

Postby Shani on September 2nd, 2016, 12:37 am

S H A N I

T H E B A S I C S

Race: Human
Birthday: 495 AV, 3rd of Spring
Birthplace: Zeltiva
Current Location: Riverfall
Profession:

A P P E A R A N C E

Shani wasn't destined at birth to be a beautiful woman. Though her mother was pleasing to the eye, the child had inherited a genetic disorder from her father that left her with some unnatural features. Waardenburg Syndrome can manifest in several ways, but in Shani's case it left her with wide-set eyes due to a prominent, broad nasal root. The pigmentation of her irises and hair were also afflicted, appearing at first as a patch of white forelock and striking sea-green eyes, though these qualities were much less unpleasant to look at.

As she grew older the white hair growing at her crown began to spread until the auburn curls so like her mother's were as white as fresh snow. It was a slow process, and was the source of excessive teasing from her peers. Shani grew into a tall woman like both of her parents; stopping just shy of 5'11" at a younger age than some because of early growth spurts, though her large Akalak brothers made her look a little less out of place as a gangly teenager. Her feminine assets developed a little later, filling in the gaps and softening the bony, awkward edges of youth.

A rough and tumble childhood has left a tapestry of stories across Shani's pale skin. Most prominent is the long scar curving from the bottom of her left eyelid down and around to her earlobe. A source of deep pride, this well-healed but somewhat gruesome wound is a souvenir from an injured Zith during a family hunt.

Since her apprenticeship Shani has made a few notable changes to her appearance through Morphing. One of her first endeavors was to fix the large gap between her eyes and her wide nose. The adjustments were minimal but made a significant difference. By pushing her eyes closer together, narrowing her nose and pulling it outward, she molded her face into what she perceived to be normal; though Shani chose to keep her white locks and many scars as a reminder of who she really was.

A Note for Others :
Because this is a fantasy world set in what I consider a medieval timeline, Waardenburg Syndrome would not be a known condition. I would say that it would be regarded as it was long before it was named after the man that studied it, therefor it would not have a name (I offered it for the sake of OOC information) and simply be considered some kind of birth defect or disfiguration. New characters and NPCs that Shani meets will have no idea of her condition thanks to Morphing, and could only speculate about her unusual hair color.

M E N T A L I T Y

A childhood of teasing would be enough to give anyone lingering insecurities into adulthood, and although Shani would love to say that cruel words never got the better of her, it would be a lie. Her disorder was the main catalyst to focus her earlier studies on Morphing, though a genuine fascination developed after her initially selfish reasons were sated. Even with her outward appearance altered to what she defined as normal, Shani found that it did little to bolster her lacking self-confidence.

Her challenging upbringing has led her to be deeply empathic. Although other peoples' troubles can weigh too heavily on her, Shani believes that this lets her form more meaningful relationships and better understand those around her. She finds herself trying to help those she can, sometimes at her own expense. The young woman has a hard time turning people away and struggles with when to say no. Coupled with the naïveté of youth, she struggles to balance her sympathetic nature with logic. She hopes that traveling will make her wiser and a little thicker skinned.

Shani is a very curious person, and is driven almost singularly by this predominate quality of her character. Being the daughter of an educated couple, it was only natural that she too be pulled in by the unknown. Unanswered questions and mysteries are her bread and butter. She hopes to make an important discovery someday; something that would make her late father proud. On the flip side, Shani loathes secrets. They give her an itch she can't quite scratch, and as a result can be something of a pest.

Few can grow up surrounded by Akalaks and come out the other side without the metal to take action. Without the discipline and determination that rubbed off on her from her brothers, Shani very easily could have been a shy waif of a creature, pale and quiet as a ghost. But blood, sweat, and tears forged a strong will and fiery spirit. She is passionate, brave, and although she struggles with self esteem, Shani has an indomitable character. The fledgling mage hopes her actions and words are what people remember.

She can be reckless in the end to get what she wants, or to prove a point. She pushes herself more than is healthy, and sometimes loses control. On more than one occasion Shani has been incapacitated by her own foolish stubbornness, and is no stranger to Overgiving.

O R I G I N S

• Born in Zeltiva.
  • Father; mage and researcher for University. Mother; scribe, anthropologist, and husband's assistant.
  • She grew up as a student and learning about magic.
  • Family travels to Riverfall to study ancient Akalak culture.
  • Father is killed on the way by roaming Zith. Mother and daughter are rescued by Akalaks and Drykas hunting party.
  • Mother is placed into Nakivak status to repay the service, goes willingly as long as daughter is left alone, but the birth defect is already a big turn-off so they leave her alone. Who wants the possibility of Akalak sons with some kind of disability or abnormal condition?
  • 3 Akalak brother later, Shani is pretty immersed in this culture. Mother is also very weak and sickly at this point after having so many risky births and pregnancies.
  • Trains with brothers a lot.
  • Uncle on Akalak side is an Akontak mage, demand apprenticeship when he returns from researching effects of 512 storm, pester him for 3 years.
  • Do his dirty work; laundry, dishes, cleaning his house while given paltry lessons here and there, occasionally answering her many questions but also does demonstrations, partly out of pride and to drive her crazy.
  • Trying to break her, assumes because she is a human girl that she'll give up.
  • Determination and attitude convince him to make it official, but still kind of a scullery maid on the side. Has a very "My Fair Lady" attitude towards her.
  • Hair is slowly turning white because of disorder, continues to be treated like an oddity and is self-conscious about appearance.
  • Many meditation lessons. Learns Flux, Hypnotism, Reimancy, and Morphing, in that order. Self-taught in Morphing since uncle does not personally know it, but had a lot of help and preparation through prior training and fasting.
  • Almost regrets life choices after the Reimancy initiation. Takes some time to do a little soul searching and recuperate. Decides to stay the course after putting so much blood, sweat, and tears into it
  • Integrates magic into physical combat training and ultimately chooses Morphing as a focus because she is deeply unhappy with her appearance.
  • Later decides to travel after completing a few years of apprenticeship, wanting to experience diversity firsthand and to find a deeper focus for her study. Must save up for this adventure and decide where to go first.

S K I L L S

Skill Experience Proficiency Misc.
Morphing 20/100 Novice 20 SP
Meditation 15/100 Novice 15 RB
Unarmed Combat 10/100 Novice 10 SP
Weapon: Longsword 5/100 Novice 5 SP
Flux 5/100 Novice 5 SP
Reimancy (Air) 5/100 Novice 5 SP
Hypnotism 5/100 Novice 5 SP

L A N G U A G E S

Fluent Language: Common
Basic Language: Tukant
Poor Language: Kontinese

K N O W L E D G E

Lore of Akalak Culture
Lore of Reimancy Initiation

M O R P H I N G

Name: Vetra
Race: Akontak
Acquired: Years of living among Akalaks, Konti, and Akontaks.
Appearance: This is Shani's first and only true transformation. She made clever use of her own features to emulate an entirely different person without actually altering much of her own body. Vetra is the exact same size as Shani, with no change in weight or height. The only difference between the two of them is the color of their skin, eyes, and a lack of scars. Where Shani is pale and creamy, Vetra is a light, vibrant blue with the scales of an Akontak. The woman's eyes also change to a dazzling aquamarine. Her gills do not function because Shani has yet to develop the skill to utilize special abilities unique to a race or species. To simplify the transformation even more, when clothed, Shani does not have to change to color of her torso, legs, or various other parts of her body. Vetra's voice is also deeper than Shani's, like smoke and whiskey to the ears.

B E L O N G I N G S

Everyday Attire
-Linen Shirt
-Cotton Pants
-Linen Undergarments
-Leather Boots, Tall
-Leather Belt, Buckle
-Leather Gloves
-Belt Pouch
Fur Mantle
Wool Cloak
Waterskin
Backpack
One-person Tent
Bedroll
Winter Blanket
50 ft. Hemp Rope
Wood Comb & Brush
Razor
Bar of Soap
1 Week of Preserved Rations
Eating Knife
Fint & Steel
Dagger & Scabbard
Longsword & Scabbard
-Baldric
Whetstone

Heirloom: A thick leather bound tome gifted by her uncle to fill with her research.

H O U S I N G

A 400 sq/ft apartment at the Kuahala Estates, furnished with the basics.

F I N A N C E S

Transaction Amount Total
Starting Funds +100 gm 100 gm
Gloves -1 gm 99 gm
Belt -2.4 gm 96.6 gm
Fur Mantle -2 gm 94.6 gm
Belt Pouch -1 gm 93.6 gm
One-person Tent -2 gm 91.6 gm
Bedroll -1 sm 91.5 gm
Blanket - 5 sm 91 gm
50 ft. Hemp Rope -1 gm 90 gm
Dagger & Scabbard -4 gm 86 gm