An Unwanted Journey [Flashback]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Ferrin on January 6th, 2011, 4:27 am

Day 35, Winter, 510 AV

Spine curved, he sat against the cold, porous wall with knees pulled up and arms folded across them. The sharp curve of his chin was tucked down, strays of black cascading over the Akalak's forehead. Through this scattered veil peered out two pale, silver eyes.
The sound of a powerful waterfall echoed off rocky cliffs. Ferrin remained unmoved, thoughts drifting in deep contemplation, prodding the doors of his mind. Testing things chained within. A whisper of sentient awareness trickled; an inner voice he had programmed himself to ignore.
"What are you waiting for?" The grizzly sound of an old man broke the younger male's thought process. Brows rose and he cocked his head, gaze turned to the figure who stood stoically against the backdrop of seascape. He was not well decorated, and he was not well known. Ferrin was the last surviving member of their lineage, after the loss of his own father and the death of two potential siblings just prior. Their family was a shameful one, and that Ferrin had yet to consider a mate made it all the more so.
His grandfather twitched aged, thin lips. It was a clear sign of his irritation. Cobalt fingers wove together loosely, and he grimaced openly to his grandson. To the last of the family blood. Only a year ago had Carrin passed on, and his son, Ferrin, was not displeased. Having been the only offspring to survive to and beyond birth, Ferrin had suffered his father's shame through severe training and expectations that were not unknown to the Akalak race. While his son was a good disciple and fast to learn, he did not inherit his father's massive size and robust figure. The indigo boy had always been quite small in comparison, reaching only six feet at full growth, and preferring stamina and speed over sheer strength and power. His tactics, while effective, were not what his father sought for. Ferrin's rebellious behavior destroyed the family name all the more, and now they were all but forgotten.
But Grandfather had plans for this. Plans to have his grandson make a great-grandchild for him to rear as he saw fit. To recreate the family line; to make something better than the messy, filthy thing seething there on the rock floor.
Ferrin inhaled slowly, eyes turning their view back to the sea.
"Something worthwhile, I suppose. I have no interest in women. None have caught my attention, let alone deserve it." He made no attempt to mask the annoyance in his voice. His grandfather, Chicar, made no attempt to acknowledge it. Instead he rose his chin and drew his lips all the tighter, eyes cast down with disgust. "I've brought you a horse. It's a good steed. A leopardbred. Consider it a gift of encouragement."

Now, this caught the young man off guard. Already large eyes widened, and he looked up, body uncoiling from its pose. Muscles flexed beneath scarred, dark skin, joints loosening. He rose, nearly a foot shorter than the old man before him. A simple black cloak flowed around the Akalak's form, shoulders pressed forward in a defiant posture of pride.
"What do I need a horse for? I don't even ride. What are you getting at?" Suspicion rang, tainting the air between them. Chicar smirked, blackened lips curling at their corners. "You say you can't find anything or anyone here. Very well. I'll send you elsewhere. Somewhere that plenty of women exist. Surely you wouldn't shame our family further by returning without a good breeder."

Ferrin stared blankly. Was this old fool insane? Had he really just ordered his only relative to traverse the wilderness, risking his life in order to find a girl? Teeth grit, jaw clenched and body tense. He could not outright disobey. The punishment would be severe, and his grandfather was already considering that Ferrin was simply incapable of creating children. That fact alone was humiliating enough to deal with. Anger simmered blood. The hiss of something animal in rage leaked through his conscious, only to be forced back down.

And so he found himself standing in the tiny home that they shared, packing what he could and preparing for the journey. Where, he did not know. Ferrin loathed packed cities and busting streets, perhaps nearly as much as he loathed people in general. But in one week he would be forced to set out on a voyage he desperately wished he could evade.
Ferrin
Player

Words: 16850
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2011, 10:02 pm
Race: Akalak

Postby Baku on January 11th, 2011, 6:28 am

Thou has written, and thou has completed, so I award thee the following....

Ferrin: +1 Rhetoric

Lore: Ignoring Inner Voices, Grandfather’s Plans, Preparing for a Journey

Additional Notes: A good, if not brief, tease into Ferrin’s past. I desire more.

~Not all dreams, are meant to be had.

Baku
Dream Eater

Words: 151190
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 4:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office