Solo Assistance

Job Thread at the Catholicon

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Moderator: Luminescence

Assistance

Postby Deliath on February 8th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Image
90, Winter 516AV



The storm of a few days ago had passed leaving the weather mild. It was mostly sunny yet cloudy, with the occasional rainfall, and to Deliath that was boring.
She had enjoyed the storm, with its beauty and ferocity, and to be out in a storm was something that Deliath greatly enjoyed, and she always felt somewhat disheartened when the storm ended.

She had just arrived at the Catholicon ready for a day at work and she wondered what the day would bring. The storm a few days ago had brought in a few injuries, yet since then not much else had happened.
A Drykas man had slipped and suffered a broken left wrist and a nasty gash on his right hand, a few Svefra had come into port for the storm and been swept off their feet and ended up bruised and battered but only with mild injuries, while a young woman had spent too much time exposed to the storm and not attempted to cover up or warm up at all, which had put them in quite a critical condition. The woman was in too much danger for Deliath to treat her, but she had watched some of the treatment.

Putting a bright smile on her face she made her way into the Catholicon, stopping one of the other doctors assistants who didn't look to busy.
"Have we got any new patients?" she asked brightly to which the woman shook her head.
"No, not yet. Might have a few come in later." she said before going on her way as Deliath checked on what there was to do, finding out that the man who had broken his wrist and cut his hand was due a dressing change, and she swiftly made her way to where he was staying.

"Good Morning!" she smiled brightly as she walked to the bed he was resting on. "I'm here to give you a quick clean up but I'm sure you'll be healing well and you'll be on your way soon. Am I okay to take a look at that nasty cut you go?" she smiled while she spoke, her smile turning to a friendly grin as the man nodded and lifted his arm to show her the dressed wound.
Thankfully it wasn't on the same side as his broken wrist so she could take a look at the dressing properly.
Gently she took hold of his hand, turning it slightly.
The dressing was stained yellow, presumably from pus and infection, and it was slightly damp but mostly dry. It was definitely in need of changing the dressing.

"You're due a dressing change, so just wait right here and I'll go get some bandages and whatnot to clean this all up." she smiled, quickly leaving the room and gathering the supplies she needed.
Soon, she had gather a few long clean strips of cloth, a bowl of warm water, a sponge, and a salve that would help clear any infection if it looked as though the wound was infected and in need of it.

Word CountThis Post: 511
Total: 511

Box code by Ferrin
Last edited by Deliath on February 28th, 2017, 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Image
User avatar
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus
 
Posts: 121
Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Assistance

Postby Deliath on February 25th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Image



Smiling she made her way back to the man, and sat at the side of his bed, watching him as she set down her supplies, and he tentatively handed his hand to her.
Still smiling at him, she began to unwind the cloth bandages from his hand, before looking at him and seeing that he was quite nervous.
"So, I hear you're a Drykas? Horses look like quite amazing beasts! What's it like to be so up close and personal with them?" she asked, hoping to get the man to speak and possibly take his mind off his injuries.
"Horses? You've probably never been close to one." the man said as Deliath continued to undress his wound. "They're like people. Very different from horse to horse. Some of them share traits and appearances, like the difference between you and any Drykas, but they aren't as dangerous as us."
As he spoke, Deliath removed the last of his dressing and a smell hit her and she tried her hardest not to retch, hiding her disgust behind a smile.
It smelt like rotting flesh and infection, like how she'd imagine a long dead corpse to smell.
Carefully, she looked over the wound to see that the flesh around it looked like the skin had melted and turned a bright red, blistering up and allowing pus to leak out of it. Patches of the flesh had blackened and near to this areas it was possible to see the bone underneath it.

"Striders are my favourite horse of course. They choose their own rider and bond with them." the man said and Deliath nodded, before wetting the sponge she had obtained and gently dabbing it on the wound, soon realising that the man wasn't reacting at all. Either it didn't hurt at all, which was unlikely, or the area was numb, which was worrying to Deliath.

"A female strider bonded to me. We called her Eri, and she's so protective." Deliath nodded as she listened to him, admiring his passion for horses, especially his strider.
She wanted to ask more questions, but she was worried that her voice May waver and worry the man, so instead she let him continue talking about his strider and her personality.

She continued to clean the wound, finding that more and more pus leaked from it, combined with flecks of blood and some chunks of what must have been decaying flesh.

She forced herself to smile before looking the man in the eye and attempting to keep her voice calm and even.
"I'm just going to go and get some more salves, since I think that I know a way that you're wound will heal quicker, if that's okay with you." she smiled sweetly before leaving the room and taking a few deep breaths and glancing around.
Soon, she found a doctor that was in between visits to patients and she quickly grabbed the woman's attention.

"Excuse me, I think that the Drykas man who was injured in the storm may need some more specialist care..." she explained before going into more detail. "It looks as though he has a really bad infection and I think his skin is decaying." she said, before leading the doctor to the Drykas man and watching the doctor check his wound.

Word CountThis Post: 549
Total: 1060

Box code by Ferrin
Last edited by Deliath on February 27th, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Image
User avatar
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus
 
Posts: 121
Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Assistance

Postby Deliath on February 25th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Image



Deliath watched as the doctor examined the Drykas mans wound, taking her time to analyse it and touch it, feeling the flesh.
"It would appear that you have developed a severe infection in this hand." the doctor said and Deliath saw the mans eyes widen slightly, possibly in fear of what could happen. "This isn't a normal occurrence and we always try to make sure this doesn't happen, but it seems that your infection was too strong for our salves and creams. But you do have two options. We could either try to treat the infection and see how it progresses, which could mean that either the infection clears up, or that it could spread further, or we could amputate the hand and eliminate the risk of infection spreading." Deliath made a mental note of how the doctor spoke. She came across as confident and knowledgable, yet calm and sympathetic to the mans situation. She couldn't imagine how many times the doctor must have given people bad news, and after all that time, was the doctor numb to it all, or did she still find it upsetting to give people such news.

Deliath watched the man as he reluctantly agreed to have his hand removed, after much time of raised emotions and both sadness and anger, but he had eventually resigned himself to losing his hand, rather than risking worse.

"Could you make sure his wrist is healing, then go tend to other patients?" the doctor asked and Deliath nodded, watching the doctor leave before she went to tend to her Drykas patient again.

The man look morose as he allowed her to check over his wrist. She couldn't tell whether he blamed her for his even more unfortunate circumstances, and she couldn't help but wonder how much losing a hand would effect his horse riding skills.

Gently, she felt around his wrist, seeing that the splint was fitted snugly, and that his wrist wasn't swollen too much.
The bruises were dark purple and look painful, yet the swelling was going down and it seemed as though his broken wrist would heal quickly and to a point where it would be almost as strong as it had been.

"Well, the good news is that your wrist seems to healing well! Quickly too!" she said, attempting to remain cheerful despite the awkward feeling that was rising from her stomach. She felt as though his situation was partially her fault, despite knowing that multiple people had tended to him since he had arrived after the worst of the storm.

"I s'pose that's good." the man said, void of any emotion. It was obvious that he was struggling, and Deliath had no idea how he would be treated as a Drykas with only one hand. She hadn't really spent much time with any Drykas, and they weren't a race she had thought to look into as she figured she wouldn't end up spending enough time with them to worry about not knowing much of their culture or way of life.

"Anyway, I have to go and check on a few other patients, but I'll be back soon, okay?" she forced a smile as she spoke before leaving the room and moving onto the next patient.

Word CountThis Post: 542
Total: 1602

Box code by Ferrin
Last edited by Deliath on February 28th, 2017, 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Image
User avatar
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus
 
Posts: 121
Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Assistance

Postby Deliath on February 28th, 2017, 11:22 am

Image



Deliath moved on to her next patient, one of the Svefra that had been swept of their feet in the storm.
Most of that group had been young men who had since been discharged from the Catholicon after fully healing, but there had been a young woman, an elderly man, and a child who hadn't recovered quite as quickly.

Smiling, she approached the elderly man, taking note of his eyes. Blue like the oceans and seas. Unsurprisingly they were similar to her mothers, being a shared trait of all Svefra. A way to remind everyone that they were closely tied to Laviku.
Her own eyes were blue as well, although a lighter blue, possibly caused by her mixed heritage. It was good to know that had she been born at sea, she wouldn't have been thrown overboard and allowed to float to her death or even just drown on the spot.

"Good morning, may I ask how you're feeling today?" she asked the man, moving to stand closer to him, wondering if he had had any more serious injuries that just a few bruises, whether he'd fractured or sprained anything.

"Better than a were a few days ago!" the man smiled back at her. "A li'l bruised 'n' achy, but tha's all. Missing my home though!" the man said and Deliath nodded. He'd been out of the water for some time and she had heard that Svefra weren't as common in the oceans as they were in the Suvan Sea.

"I can imagine it'll feel odd for you, being away from the water for so long!" she empathised. The man seemed to be fairly at ease, despite missing the sea, but she wanted to keep him at ease and she didn't want to risk worrying him at all. "Can I ask where it hurts, or where it hurts most?" she asked watching him carefully as she caught sight of a swirling design on his shoulder and a smile spread on her face.
It seemed to be a blue and green pattern of waves that seemed to swirl and move on its own. Her mother had had one similar, and if she was right in thinking, it was Laviku's gnosis mark.

"Just ma chest and upper arm really. Everywhere else is fine. Must've hit there when the wind hit." he said as he demonstrated where it hurt, gesturing to both shoulders and his chest with his hands.
It was slightly worrying that his chest was hurting, as she'd heard that that could effect people's breathing, preventing them from breathing deeply enough.

"So your upper arms and chest? Can I ask if it hurts more when you breathe, or whether it feels as though you can't breathe properly?" she asked, wondering whether she would have to fetch the doctor or whether she'd just have to make sure that the elderly man changed his position slightly, just to prevent bed sores.

"Eh, a but I guess. When I breathe deeply, i' 'urts more, so I'm avoidin' that! Is tha' bad?" the man said and Deliath smiled at him.

"I don't think it's too bad, but I'm just an assistant so I should probably go get a doctor. Is there anything I can get you whilst I'm fetching the doctor?" she asked with a smile on her face.

"Could I get something to drink? A water or something similar?" the man asked and Deliath nodded before leaving the room and finding a doctor.

"The elderly Svefra man is in pain when he breathes. Is that normal or something to worry about?" she asked the doctor, unsure as to whether she was overthinking things.

"I'm sure it'll be nothing but I'll go check him over." the doctor responded and Deliath nodded, before getting a glass of water for the man.

When she returned to him, the doctor had already been and left and the man was smiling to himself.

"I've got you your water. Has the doctor been?" she asked, placing his drink onto a hard surface within reaching distance from him.

"Yeah, they say it's nothing, just a bi' o' bruising that should be gone soon." the man said, reaching for the water, which Deliath picked up and handed to him.

"I thought that would be the case, but it's better to be safe than sorry." she smiled, before seeing the man finish taking a drink. He handed the glass back to her and she carefully placed it back down.

"You'd best get to everyone else. I'm fairly certain I heard our lass saying she was hungry!" the man smiled and Deliath nodded, leaving him to see to the next.

Word CountThis Post: 766
Total: 2368

Box code by Ferrin
Last edited by Deliath on February 28th, 2017, 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Image
User avatar
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus
 
Posts: 121
Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Assistance

Postby Deliath on February 28th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Image




Box code by Ferrin
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Image
User avatar
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus
 
Posts: 121
Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest