New Ghost in Town

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

New Ghost in Town

Postby Seven on January 17th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Hello everyone, this the first RP site Ive joined, and Im quite impressed with the amount of content here. I have an interest in being a ghost but while reading the wikis about them and their abilities a few questions come to mind.

Can a ghost possess any living creature, given it has the skill/power, Including animals? I would think animal possession would be a fine way to practice

It says in the wiki, under possession, that "Through possession, ghosts can use their pre-death skills that require a body, including all personal magic.", but is the ghost using personal magic under the restriction of the amount of Djed of the person they are possessing or do they, somehow, get the amount that they had while living? And will using magic tire out the said ghost faster?

Just how long can a ghost possess a person? Days? Weeks? Months? Seasons? Is it all subjected to the persons being possessed will power, and the ghosts skill?

It seems like soulmist projection is all about picking up things and throwing them. What if I wanted to say push a person (Giving my ghost is a master of the art. I know, a long ways away, but still), I know I cant pick them up, but could I at least push them with 100 pounds of force? That would be neat.

Anyways those are all the questions I can think of so far. Just want to make sure I have everything right before I start playing.
"The highest praise we can attribute to any writer, painter, sculptor, builder, is, that he actually possessed the thought or feeling with which he has inspired us."
Seven
Spirit of Rage

Words: 13529
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

New Ghost in Town

Postby Mixcoatl on January 18th, 2011, 3:03 am

Hiya, Seven! First things first, let me be the first to welcome you into the Mizahar family. Here's to hoping you have a long, wonderful time on the site. :P

To be blunt, I haven't the slightest idea for an answer to *any* of these, and your questions have actually formed some of my own!

*Does the Magical Tarot Summoning Dance*

So, All Mighty Tarot, in addition to these questions, I'm gonna throw mine in: When a ghost possesses someone and starts casting, if they overgive, do the physical effects of the overgiving stay with the body they're in then? Also, since the djed article says "Wizards are taught to keep a reserve of expendable Djed for spellcasting, but if this reserve is exhausted, Djed is taken from their bodies and souls." does that mean an overgiving, possessing ghost is effectively practicing leeching? They'd be absorbing the possessed's body's djed when they started to overgive, wouldn't they? *Is confused*

Mixcoatl
Son, I am Disappoint

Words: 44188
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2010, 3:34 am
Race: Staff account
Office

New Ghost in Town

Postby Seven on January 18th, 2011, 3:42 am

Well thank you for the welcome Mixcoatl. Im sure I will have a lot of fun on this site. :D Thanks for the response. When I saw you replied I was sure you had some answers, but it turns out that you do not. A little bit of a disappointment, but your questions were just as good. I was having some of those thoughts myself. Like what happens if a ghost overgives? Does it effect the ghost or the person they are possessing? Great minds think alike :thumbsup:

Ive also have a few more to add to the list.

Can ghosts have gnosis marks? And if so can they use them all the time, or just when possessing someone?

I was reading the Spiritism article and they can create safe zones. Its off limit to the ghost, but can a ghosts power, i.e. soulmist projected/thrown items enter the safe area?

What happens to a possessed person when they enter a safe zone? Could the ghost use the human 'shell' to enter the safe zone?

If a ghost was good enough could they "block" a souldart?

Can only pure ghosts draw power from the Ukalas? Or could more negative ghosts draw as well? Just how much power can they get from the Ukalas?
"The highest praise we can attribute to any writer, painter, sculptor, builder, is, that he actually possessed the thought or feeling with which he has inspired us."
Seven
Spirit of Rage

Character sheet

New Ghost in Town

Postby Tarot on January 18th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Hello Seven,

let's see if I can be of help.

Ghosts can possess anything that's alive, including animals.

Ghosts can use personal magic (their own, not the host's) while possessing. Overgiving, should it happen, affects BOTH the ghost and its host, in different ways of course. This is to prevent a ghost from just walking out and into someone else for unlimited magic batteries. Using magic drains a ghost much like using its ghostly abilities, thus yes, they tire out faster.

The length of possession depends on the ghost's skill as well as how much resistance the host is putting up. Generally, though, we are talking minutes to hours - maybe days if the ghost is good. Spiritists can keep it up for longer. A good enough ghost can take breaks and surrender control for a while while staying inside someone.

Pushing is just another way of picking up, so yes, you can. :)

Ghosts can't have gnosis marks. The gods don't find them useful the way they are and would rather see them reincarnated. (Also for gameplay balance)

Ghosts and their soulmist can't access safe zones (in theory; in practice, a motivated powerful ghost can eventually break through), but they can throw a knife from the outside into the safe zone. I think a possessed person would either lose the ghost upon entering one, OR the ghost could hide inside but be unable to manifest or take over control while in the safe zone. Either or.

They might be able to deflect a souldart by soulmisting if they were very good at it.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting power from the Ukalas. The souls of those who joined their deity in the Ukalas are not ghosts even though they can be called upon by a spiritist. They are more like ascended beings without a body. :)

Hope that helps!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

New Ghost in Town

Postby Seven on January 18th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Well, thank you Tarot for you answers. It was very helpful.

But here is a quote from the Ukalas article (Under Mortals and The Ukalas) that confuses me on your last answer:

http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Ukalas

"Most mortals cannot see the Ukalas at all. A rare few can sense its presence and the interconnectedness of all things. Most of these individuals are of Chaktawe, Ethaefal, Jamoura, or Konti. Ghosts are aware of the Ukalas, and some of the more powerful ones can draw energy and strength from it."

Now I dont mean to be argumentative but it seems rather contradictory and Im now confused. So, ghosts cannot draw power from it? I have an eye for annoying details that seem to contradict...
Seven
Spirit of Rage

Character sheet

New Ghost in Town

Postby Gossamer on January 18th, 2011, 9:32 pm

The Ukalas article was written prior to the ghost article I believe. There are several discrepancies in our literature for this reason. I'm sure they will be corrected as time passes. The Ghost article and Tarot's word on ghosts as their creator should be the first and last word on ghosts.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

New Ghost in Town

Postby Seven on January 18th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Thank you for your insight. Im just trying to get things straight as I said before so I dont mess up.
Seven
Spirit of Rage

Character sheet