Solo [The Wind-Knotted Gates] Arrival

Turrin arrives in the city of Endrykas

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

[The Wind-Knotted Gates] Arrival

Postby Turrin on March 6th, 2017, 12:54 am

Timestamp: 5th of Spring, 517AV

Sitting up against the back of the wooden rails of the wagon, Turrin ignored the bumpiness of the ride since all his focus was on the scars on his left arm. The scars given to him by a wolf symbolized a turning point in his life where he became more than just a half breed savage in the eyes of the Inarta. At the moment, the wolf bite into his arms his life was changed forever. This was the day, Aponivi, wind eagle, bonded with him and made him a Endal of Wind Reach. All Inarta children dreamed of being Endals, and Turrin was no different from his full blooded peers. Even in the humid jungles of Falyndar with his father's people, young Turrin and his sister were told stories of the noble Endal who flew over the mountains of Kalea by his Inarta mother. Stories of wind eagles and fierce red head Endal filled his head every night when he was boy. It was magical time for him, and tt was the only bright spot for the young half breed in the jungles around Taloba.

When he got to Wind Reach reality started to shattered his boyhood fantasy of the noble Endal. Nothing of the stories were true accept for the majesty of wind eagles. They were the true masters of Wind Reach and the lands around Skyinarta and not the hedonistic bastards most Endal lords. Without the wind eagles, Endal and the Inarta wouldn't exist. Clenching his fist, he felt a pang of anger well over him as he remember the atrocities his caste inflicted over the lower castes. It was survival at the fittest at it worst. Mortal dignity was thrown to wayside as the Endal took whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. He didn't have enough fingers to on his hands to count the number of times. Heard his fellow peers talk about abusing the lower castes or seeing a young women or men from the lower caste leaving a aeries in tears as he knew their dignity was just taken away the night before. Endal ruled with fear, and the lower castes resented them for it, and being a transplant from Taloba, he resented his peers for it as much as the lower castes because even if he tried to be fair and just leader. The lower castes still saw him as a tyrant. Memories were all that he had of Wind Reach. He was a Inarta, and the memories of the people that he met in the mountain cities were just ghosts now.

Feeling the wagon shake and rattled as it went over the uneven ground. Turrin couldn't believe how far that he fallen since he lost Aponivi. He soared through the sky with a commanding presence as he patrol the mountains, forests, valleys, and rivers of Kalea. Now he was a mercenary in the back of wagon full of trinkets and nick-nacks bound for the city of the Drykas, Endrykas. He was hired in Riverfall by the caravan master to protect the caravan from the threats of Sea of Grass, but in the five day, it was uneventful, so he was left to own devices to reminisce on the past. It was something that he tried to avoid lately because it always put him in a sour mood.

The sun burned wagoner called back to him in common, “Silent One!” It was his nickname given to Turrin, and Turrin didn't care for it one bit. The wagoner said with a toothless grin, “I know it was mostly me talking the trip, and...” The Inarta rolled his eyes and nodded in agreement with the wagoner. Yes, he talked most of the trip, and it hasn't stopped for the entirety of the WHOLE trip! To make matters worse, the human even talked in his sleep.

Turrin looked at the human and said softly in a thick Inarta accent, “I tried talking but you keep interru...” The Inarta just looked up at the sky in frustration as the wagoner interrupted him again.

The wagoner laughed, “Well, I wished the conversation could have better, but we are here, so how long are you going to stay? You going to come back to Riverfall with us?”

The Inarta just looked at him with annoyance and said, “I think.. I will catch the next caravan...”

“Suit yourself, Golden Eyes...it might be awhile till the next one. It a hard life out here, and the drykas won't coddle you.”
Last edited by Turrin on March 26th, 2017, 5:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Turrin on March 6th, 2017, 12:57 am

Pressing his lips together, Turrin was insulted that the wagoner suggested that he needed coddling. Eastern humans have no petching clue how tough it could be especially when you live in a city like Wind Reach. Food is rationed if you don't work. You don't eat. He had a easier time surviving since he was a Endal, but laziness was unheard in Inarta society unless a person had a death wish.The half breed held his tongue and said in a low voice, “I will manage...”

The wagoner just laughed, but he decided to stay silent since the mercenary clearly wanted to be left alone. Turrin looked at his horse, Muncher, who was tied to the back of the slow moving wagon. The caravan master knew that his mercenary bought a horse and all the basic gear for riding in Riverfal, but when he saw how abysmal of a rider. The caravan master insisted that he ride in the back of the wagon to Endrykas. Being the proud wind eagle rider, he declined at first, but after a hour of struggling to get the horse to move in the direction that he wanted . The caravan master, who was drykas, insisted that he either ride with the wagons or stay in Riverfall, so Turrin grudgingly got into the back of the wagon with all his possessions.

When the caravan rolled in the city, Turrin was surprised that Endrykas was less of a city, but more of a very large camp in the middle of nowhere. Looking out into the tent city, the people who call themselves the drykas seemed to made up of many lineages because he couldn't pin-point a certain physical trait like the red hair with the Inarta. However, he didn't noticed that the drykas all had long hair; however, most of the woman seemed to weave their hair into intricate designs. While the men tied it back with leather or ornamental straps. Turrin's burgundy hair got much longer since he was endal. It was to the middle of his now and tied back with a leather strap much like the drykas men, but he decided to weave feathers into his hair in remembrance of his Inarta heritage.

When the wagon came to a complete stop, Turrin looked up and saw that he was in the middle of the tent city since all the breaks converge in this location. The mercenary stood up, strapped the talon sword to his belt, stretched, and noticed the two large pillars in the center of city. Each pillar has colorful ribbons tied to them, he watch the ribbons whip around in the wind, and it almost seemed like a colorful rainbow. Realizing he was staring at it way to long, he looked over at the wagoner and said in common with nod, “I guess we cross paths here. Good luck and safe travels.”

Wagoner looked at him and nodded, “If your going to stay, I suggest you buy a wagon and a yoke for your horse, Golden-Eyes. You terrible at riding, and this city tends to move every couple of days.”

Turrin jumped off the wagon and said to wagoner, “Yes, I will take your advice to heart.”

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Turrin on March 6th, 2017, 12:59 am

Turrin took the saddle bags off the horse each large bag held his possessions from Wind Reach. He set them on the ground, removed his saddle, and placed it on the ground next to the horse. Turrin looked at saddle for a moment and remember the time that he needed to secure his saddle to his wind eagle. It was much larger than a horse saddle and he needed two people to put it on the dire eagle. Luckily, the horse saddle was smaller, so he just needed on people to lift it. Taking his riding blanket out of his saddle bags, he placed it over the back of the horse. Grabbing the horn of the saddle with his left hand and the cantle with his right, he used his legs to lift up the heavy saddle and placed on the back of Muncher. Turrin strapped the main belt around the under of the animal and strapped it to the other side of the saddle in the buckle. He looked at the front belt that was slightly smaller then the back strap, wrapped it around the neck of the horse, and secured it to buckle of the other side. Grabbing the horn, he shook the saddle to see if it was loose. It was loose, but the former endal looked at it for a few chimes and couldn't figure out if he missed a step saddling his horse. Hopefully, he could find a instructor sooner than later to help him.

Lastly, he secured his saddle bags and backpack to the horse. When the horse was fully geared up, he stared it for a another few chimes and decided if he wanted to attempt to ride. Deciding against it since the straps were loose and there was a quite a bit of weight already on the back of Muncher. He decided to lead Muncher on foot by the stirrup through the crowded center of town. Turrin clearly looked lost in the strange city. He was used to grand halls of stone not a city with no walls and made up of tents. Suddenly a elderly drykas woman walked up to him and said in common, “You look lost, Walahk.”

Turrin wondered if Walahk was a title for foriegner in Pavi, but he respond with a respect nod of his head and said with smile, “I just arrived on the caravan...” Looking around, he pressed his lips together and made a decision. Looking at the human woman, “I am going to stay for sometime... Do you know where I can find a job?”

The elderly woman looked him over for a moment and said with smile, “Yes, you see the yellow tents north of where we are standing. There is a tent there called the Raised Sun. They should help you get settled into the city.”

Turrin looked in the direction of the yellow tents and said with a nod, “Thank you for your kindness.”

“Your welcome, Walahk.”
Last edited by Turrin on April 15th, 2017, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Turrin on March 6th, 2017, 1:03 am

Walking the direction of the yellow tents, Turrin got a some sideways glances from the drykas walking past him, but they all seemed busy with their lives to stop the foriegner. However, as he got farther into the tent city. He was stopped by two armed riders on horseback. He wasn't going to make any hostile moves since their eyes were clearly directed at the sword and bow on his back. Turrin watched and listened as they talked in Pavi. The former endal raised an eyebrow at the hand gestures between the pair, but he waited patiently for them to finish. This must be the city guard, so it their job to protect the city like it was his job to protect Wind Reach. Eventually the blond woman asked sternly, “What is your business in Endrykas, Walahk? We haven't seen you before now. You weren't here last season.”

Still holding the reins, Turrin looked directly into her eyes and said simply in common, “I recently arrived with the last caravan, so I couldn't be here last season.” The endal paused seeing if the woman was satisfied with his answer. She seemed to be since she stayed silent. Turrin continued, “I am here for a job and place to lay my head for the night.”

The male Drykas said sharply, “I heard Riverfall has nice pillows to lay your head.”

Turrin smirked at the male who was clearly mocking him and said with a nod, “Yes, they do, sir.” Looking at the woman, he said to her, “I am a hunter from Wind Reach, and I am here to start anew in a realm with less walls like Riverfall.”

The woman said something to male in Pavi and made a few hand gestures in his direction and said to him in common, “Walahk, you carry yourself like you know how to use your weapons. Keep them sheathed, and you will have no problem with me.”

Turrin nodded to them. He had no need to use his weapons on these people unless he felt his life was threatened. The Inarta said with a nod, “I will respect your advice.”

“Good.”

When the city guards left, Turrin continued through the camps till he reached the tent called the Raised Sun. He walked into it and saw there was a small line in front of desk. Behind the desk was a bored looking man who seemed like he didn't want to be here. When he got to the front of the line, the bored man behind the desk asked in common, “What is your name and skills?

Turrin responded, “My name is Turrin Goldeneyes. I was a hunter in Wind Reach, so I know how to hunt, track, and use a short bow?”

The clerk looked him over and said with a nod, “Endrykas can always use hunter, and I sure you can handle yourself. Can you ride a horse?”

Slightly embarrassed the former eagle rider said embarrassment in his voice, “No, but I am doing my best to learn quickly.”

“Good Walahk. I suggest you learn quickly or you will be left behind when the city moves in a couple days. Also I suggest you get familiar with the Duskstep Pavilion. They can give advice to improve your skills as a hunter especially on the Sea of Grass. The Spit Fire is a good place to process any kills you happen to get. I hope it helps.”

Turrin didn't like the idea of being left behind when the city moves in a couple days, but he kept the clerks advice on learning how to ride, the Duskstep Pavilion, and the Spit fire. Turrin said with a nod, “Thank you for the advice.”

When he walked out of the tent, he started to wonder what he got himself into this was completely different from Wind Reach. Riverfall would have been a better place to lay his head and start anew. Not a tent city in middle of the Sea of Grass. Turrin walked for a bell through the city. He was looking for a place to make camp after a long day of traveling and setting himself in Endrykas. Eventually, he came to the outskirts of the purple tents, and he looked out into the Sea of Grass and noticed the white cloud formation out in the distance. The combination of clouds blocking Syna painted the grassland below with different shades of greens, browns, and blues. It was beautiful sight. Looking at the camps next to him, he decided to camp here with the purple tents because his sister always liked the color purple, and Syna blessed him with such a beautiful view for his first evening here. Tomorrow, he will head to the Duskstep Pavilion and speak to them about hunting, but today, he will just sit and enjoy the view.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Shaqira on July 19th, 2017, 1:56 pm

G R A D E

xp

Observation +2
Horsemanship +1
Rhetoric +2
Socialization +1

lores

Endal rule with fear
Reminiscing on the past is a painful pastime
Turrin: Abhors cruelty
Turrin: ‘The Silent One’
Drykas: Nomadic people toughened by the Sea of Grass
Drykas: Made of many lineages
Drykas Culture: Dress & hair styles
Endrykas Location: The Wind Knotted Gates
Horsemanship: Putting on tack
Pavi: ‘Walahk’
Endrykas location: The Raised Sun
Endrykas location: The Duskstep Pavilion
Endrykas location: The Spit Fire

notes - Don't forget to deduct living expenses for Spring 517AV from Turrin's ledger!

Shaqira
Player

Words: 12197
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2017, 8:42 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Plotnotes