Quick Question on Some Monetary Matters

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Matias Jaeger on March 18th, 2017, 7:47 am

So I've done some searching here on the Q&A Forum, and haven't been able to find an answer that works for me on two issues I am trying to work out...

1.) Matias is arriving in Syliras as a visitor, likely will not be staying for any longer than Spring, tops. So, he will obviously need to rent his accommodations. I'm currently thinking that Traveler's Row will suffice, and I was wondering if I can make the necessary fee reductions to my ledger immediately (i.e before beginning roleplay) or if I need to post a thread and RP my arrival and check-in.

2.) I'd like to purchase a set of padded armor for Matias, and possibly a few extra "minor" items like a pipe and some tobacco/pipeweed for him to have on his way into Syliras. Is it possible/acceptable to simply deduct from my starting funds and toss these items into my inventory, or do I need to RP this as well?

Thank you for your time, and any definitive answer is definitely appreciated!
Common | Nari | Kontinese | Others
Matias Jaeger
Player

Words: 3034
Joined roleplay: January 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Sayana on March 18th, 2017, 8:02 am

Hello, welcome to Miz :)

1. Some people like to roleplay minor interactions with NPCs like this one, however it's not absolutely necessary. As long as you mark down which days or which seasons you're using the Traveler's Row and include the deductions in your ledger, then you should be fine.

2. For starting items, you can simply list the items and deduct the costs accordingly in your ledger.

As you roleplay and want to get new items, it's good to at least note which thread you acquired them. Sometimes people fully roleplay the shopkeeper interactions and include a 'receipt' using some OOC coding. Other people jump right into using the items, but will also include the 'receipt' to list the items and costs. The important part is when you got the item and since each thread has a timestamp, then attributing your purchases to a thread tells you when you got it. Rare or magical item purchases should really be roleplayed out, however minor things aren't that big of a deal.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Matias Jaeger on March 18th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Thank you for the quick and informative response! These are exactly the answers I was looking for, thanks for saving me a major headache.
Matias Jaeger
Player

Character sheet

Postby Titus Galesong on March 19th, 2017, 2:50 am

It is always best to consult your local ST before buying an item that is considered rare or if a magical item is reasonable powerful. Happy writing!
Titus Galesong
An Anchorless Soul

Words: 51442
Joined roleplay: April 10th, 2016, 1:41 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Matias Jaeger on March 19th, 2017, 7:43 am

Ah, thank you for the additional info. Much appreciated!
Matias Jaeger
Player

Character sheet