Sworn to the Watch [Ometeotl]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 21st, 2011, 10:02 pm

1st Winter, 510 A.V.

Upon Daed's apparent recommendation, Sama'el was to be inducted into the Watch, an honor he had not considered until the Ankal had initiated him into the Web as one of its weavers rather than another point of light on a field of stars. As such, he had arrived among the Diamond Clan pavilions to report and... he knew not what. Perhaps they would test his skills as a rider, a warrior, and a burgeoning Web Mage. His golden mare, Dohaina, was alert as ever as they picked their way through the grand tents of the Drykas' greatest warriors. Sama'el was good with his scimitar; not great, but good. It had been the closest thing to the blade with which he had trained as a boy that he could find during his wanderings in Sylira and Taldera, and it was still serviceable, though he thought he might purchase a better one when he was a full-fledged member of Endrykas' elite. He heard they got discounts from the pavilions, as was proper all things considered.

Perhaps as a member of the Watch, he could protect his people, draw honor onto his as yet unborn pavilion, and prevent what had happened to him from happening to anyone else.

He was as presentable as he could be given the circumstances, wearing the new winter clothes Dymphna had helped him pick out, his weapons and gear at the ready in case they should require that he prove himself in whatever way, or whether they would take him as an apprentice with an Ankal's recommendation and then weed him out after the fact if he proved unable to perform at their level.

When he had arrived, Dohaina paused underneath him. His signals were mostly given with subtle pressures from his knees or ankles, occasionally a word or two. They had bonded well and fully, though, and to most people, it looked like they merely shared thoughts, a two-bodied centaur.

But what now?
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sabazios on January 25th, 2011, 3:01 am

Image As Sama'el approached the pavilion of the Sayaph, he would notice that the amount of people moving around him diminished considerably. Not many residents chose to idle in the presence of the Bloodwind Pavilion. It's Ankal, Kirabo Bloodwind was the commanding officer of the entire Watch. As such he held great honor and power amongst the horse clans. You didn't just come to pay this man a trivial visit, if you came you had a great purpose.

However the great pavilion stood open to all comers. It's opening flap of cloth tied back to allow ease of access. All that the young Drykas must do is enter.

Official Edict To All Drykas Pavilions: "You Make Love, I'll Deal With The Rest"
Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Words: 36329
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2010, 11:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 25th, 2011, 7:21 am

Blowing air thoughtfully through his lips, Sama'el finally slid out of his yvas. He patted Dohaina's shoulder as if she were the nervous one; perhaps she was on his account. A few quiet words let her know that he wanted her to remain there, and his skill with horses was such that she seemed content to follow his commands. Certainly she watched him approach the pavilion, her ears pricked forward and attentive. She was the sort of horse who would rush the pavilion if she heard Sama'el's voice raised in alarm.

"Ho, Sayaph!" he called ahead of himself so the leader of the Watch would know he came without sneaking. The open flap tied back was an invitation to enter, and he did so, ducking out of the full light of day to see whether Daed's recommendation and his own abilities would be enough to see this honor become his.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sabazios on January 25th, 2011, 8:57 pm

As Sama'el entered the pavilion he would see thick fur rugs covering the floor, and furniture of dark carved woods. This was the pavilion of a family who had great honor and riches.

When he called out his voice was muted by the heavy fur hangings. There seemed to be nobody about, the room was dead in silence. This silence was suddenly broken by the voice of a young woman. Her voice was sweet and melodic, she was smiling as she spoke.

"My father is behind the pavilion. He is with a Tavekh, I can take you to them if you wish"

She ended this proclamation with a shy smile, and without waiting for a response walked out of the pavilion. They walked around until they came upon a older man teaching a young woman the art of swordplay.

"Father, a young man is here to see you"

Official Edict To All Drykas Pavilions: "You Make Love, I'll Deal With The Rest"
Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 25th, 2011, 11:03 pm

If he was startled or dismayed by the necessity of making that first move all over again, he did a manful job of swallowing it down. He nodded his thanks to the Sayaph's daughter and followed her to the man himself. The Drykas were too proud for bowing, too fierce and independent of spirit, but he nodded respectfully to one of the more powerful people in Endrykas.

"Greetings, Esteemed Sayaph. I am Sama'el of the Sapphire Clan. I was told to seek you out."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sabazios on January 29th, 2011, 9:16 pm

When Sama'el nodded to her the young girl scampered off to wherever she had been when he entered their pavilion. Her father said a few indiscernible words to his student and walked calmly over to Sama'el. He stopped a pace or two away and bluntly answered Sama'el.

"Who sent you, why did they send you, and why should I care"

He stood there arms hanging loosely at his sides, golden hair moving with the breeze, and waiting for his answer. As Sayaph of the watch he received many visitors claiming any number of odd things. He was subject to answering the whims of strangers for much of his day, and he had little patience for it. However if this were to prove a legitimate question Sama'el would find him a much more accommodating man.

Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 30th, 2011, 7:02 am

Some men were of the bragging variety. Sama'el was not. At the same time, he figured the master of the Watch would value honest self-assessment over false boasts or false modesty. As such, he thought about his answer for a moment before making it.

"Daed Whitefeather of the Opal Clan sent me to learn to Web beyond my initiation and his early instruction, and to serve the seven horseclans in the Watch. You should care because I'm as good a rider as any man, I can fight, and you will not be sorry for training me."

It was not exactly polite not to introduce himself, but the Sayaph had not asked for his name, only his credentials, and so that is what he had given. There was time enough for the rest if he passed this first test, he supposed.

"Also," he began carefully, "I believe my Strider is touched by Zulrav." Or else he was crazy.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sabazios on February 10th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Kirabo listened to Sama'el speak with growing interest. He could appear unwelcoming on a first encounter, but it was merely a facade that he put on to discourage guests with less than honest intentions. He despised even the hints of corruption, and refused to accept anything but hard work and sweat.

"Well met my lad. I appreciate an honest man's honest answer." As he said this Kirabo uncrossed his arms took on a friendlier demeanor. "Come with me and we shall see what you can do"

He beckoned Sama'el to follow him, and walked back to where he had been standing when Sama'el had been brought to him. He was met by the young woman who had been training. After a few words with Kirabo, she walked over to where she had set her spear. Picking it up she beckoned for Sama'el to come to her. "I am Inaril, I am to test you."

Kirabo quickly nodded his assent to Sama'el, and leaned back to study the duel. "I would see you in action before I try to make any decisions. She is one of my best students, and is a well respected Rayvehk of the watch."

Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on February 12th, 2011, 7:14 am

Sama'el smiled in response to the friendly, if belated, greeting. It took little to win him over: be Drykas, be skilled, be kind. Sometimes it didn't even require all three and Sama'el would be fiercely loyal. He nodded and followed, then smiled a bit shyly to the Sayaph's designated champion, who would now be his entrance examination. He immediately began to watch the way she moved, her eyes for tells. She picked up a spear and he loosened his scimitar in its scabbard.

"Well met, Inaril," he said. "I'm still Sama'el." He spoke with nearly as much respect for her as he did for Kirabo. If he passed their tests, he might end up answering to her, after all. He had yet to figure out the nuances of the Watch's structure, but he knew the titles well enough.

He drew his scimitar, not sure if she would attack him without warning, but wanting to be ready just in case. No Zith would give him a chance to pull his blade unless it was screwing with him, nor a bandit.

"I am ready when you are," he said, and assumed a defensive posture, his scimitar held in a horizontal guard, his grip relaxed and ready to adapt to the longer reach of her weapon of choice.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sabazios on February 25th, 2011, 7:06 am

Inaril nodded curtly, almost coldly to the young man before she answered politely "Well met Sama'el" It wasn't that she disliked or even liked him. She was just not one to show emotion to one she had just become acquainted with.

Her eyes burned into Sama'els body, searching for a weakness that would aid her. Looking at the way he moved, the way his feet were positioned, and where he cast his gaze. All of the factors were carefully considered as she began to move into a battle stance.

Her left foot was slightly forward, her posture was perfect. Inaril was the model of form, she stood eyes locked on her target. With a flick of her wrist and arms, the tip of the spear flew forward in a light blow. She started circling slowly, thrusting her spear almost playfully into Sama'els defenses, she probed for a possible weakness in his guard.

Then she lashed out, bringing her spear across her body, tip still pointed at her opponent. She brought the stave of the weapon to her chest, standing sideways, and the swung it in a wide circle aiming the wood at her opponents head.

Sabazios
Papa Vinnie

Office
Scrapbook

Next