Looking for Comfort at the Bottom of a Mug (Lilith)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Karyk on June 2nd, 2017, 10:46 pm

Timestamp: Summer 64th

Karyk woke up exhausted, staring at the ceiling of his room at Tarsin's Boarding House. This room was far nicer than any house he'd been inside of in Zeltiva, and wasn't real pricey either. There were pleasant, tasteful decorations all about, and they had a nice view of the east, so that they could see the sun rise. But Karyk couldn't find any enjoyment in any of this. Natya was gone. Laury was gone. Anora was gone. In a single day, his family was shattered. It was bad enough that he'd managed to convince so many people to make this journey from Zeltiva and because of that, so many had died. But this was worse, because these were family.

He looked down his lavish bed, seeing three little lumps beneath the blanket, Sharay, and the twins, Becker and Decker. Karyk reached down and gently rubbed each on the head. They were the only things in his life now that allowed for him to keep it together, somewhat. But today, Karyk had a very simple plan. Today, he needed to say goodbye to his family, in a very Zeltivan fashion.

He got out of bed and dressed, a simple white shirt, open at the chest, rolled up sleeves to his elbows, and brown trousers, freshly laundered by the staff. Lacing up his boots, tying them extra tight, seeing the kids beginning to stir. Sharay hadn't spoken since her mother had died, and the twins were actually behaving since then. Karyk set a small pouch of coins on the writing desk, "I have to go for the day. Meals are in the dinin' room, where we ate last night. Make sure y'all eat. If ya have to leave, all of y'all go together, and be good. This is a new city, so we don't know the rules. Sharay, you're in charge. If ya need anythin', Oleander and Hortense are next door."

Sharay rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and nodded at him, a ghost of the lively, curious, foul mouthed child she was normally. Karyk made his way out of Tarsin's and stepped into one of those strange longboats. They weren't seaworthy crafts, and were propelled by long poles pushing off these platforms and buildings. Karyk was sure that a stiff breeze would cause them to capsize. How did they not have to replace them every time a storm rolled in? At least they were well crafted and easy on the eyes, if not exactly practical. "Can ya take me to somewhere with a stiff drink?"

The ravosalaman nodded, "Is that all you outsiders are good for? Drinking and tarnishing our fine city? But yes, I'll take you to The Spot. Maybe you can be of use to anyone there."

Karyk's eyes burned hot with anger, but he held his tongue. The ravosalaman chuckled smugly, and set them off. They didn't have to go far, two lots down, they arrived at a sort of boat, tavern like vessel. It seemed to have more of a bob to it than the other larger platforms. Karyk suspected it was mobile, and could move around. Karyk stepped onto the floating tavern, nodded at the Ravosalaman, and entered the building.

It was a comfortable atmosphere, even nice by Zeltivan standards. It was early, so there weren't many there, a few passed out souls scattered about, a couple of people coming by for food. Karyk sat by himself at a small table. A young bar wench approached, "What can I get for you hun?"

He didn't even bother to look up at the woman, "Ale please. And just keep 'em comin'. I'll be here a while." She nodded, and returned with a large mug of golden ale. Karyk held it up, and like many of those in Zeltiva might, made a toast. Not loudly, not obtrusively, just one for himself. "May you and Laviku dance the days upon the waves, Natya. May Laury and Anora laugh all day and eat to their hearts content. Zeltiva misses you three." With that toast said, Karyk tipped up the mug, and drained it quickly, gulp after gulp and set his mug down. The wench brought another, and Karyk took a regular sized drink this time savoring the liquid. While it didn't have the same nostalgia as his favored kelp beer, it certainly was a tasty brew. And there, Karyk sat in silence, remembering his favorite memories of his sister, each accompanied with a healthy sized drink.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lilith Krauss on June 4th, 2017, 3:27 pm

It was so odd to have leisure days like this, for as long as she could remember herself, Lilith would have to work every day without much rest to speak of. More or less forced into work from a young age due to being an orphan, quickly finding herself in the brothel due to the lack of practical skills and knowledge. Those horrible years, accompanied only by work and dreams of this city, now that she was in Ravok, she could have leisure filled days like this and not feel guilty, but she was so used to working day and night, that she still hadn’t figured out how to rest from work that doesn’t disgust you….that’s why she would usually spend her free time praying or drinking away.

”oy, las, be careful now, would you? If you fall over, both of us reach the bottom” brought back to reality by the ravosala man, she didn’t realize it herself, but she was leaning over the edge ”My apologies, I was -””in thought, ye, ye, all of you younglings are the same.” Lilith didn’t find anything she could answer to the man in this order, so she just asked a question ”what do people in Ravok want?” the question didn’t make much sense, but it did bring out a chuckle in the old man who was directing the boat ”not a local...depends on who you ask, ye.””nothing more particular?” the man scratched his forehead, quickly returning to rowing the ravosala further ”apartment, with a balcony...oy, most everyone wants that”

That brought up an unusual realization to the girl, she was still living at the boarding house, fall will mark a year in Ravok, and she was still living there. It wasn’t a bad place, it was lively and gave her a lot of opportunities to meet people, but...it wasn’t really hers, yes. Lilith needed, wanted, a place of her own that she could buy a great bed in, fancy furniture and keep exquisite dresses in...maybe even learn how to cook for herself...with a balcony. Suddenly, her eyes brightened, it wasn’t a ‘dream’ or an ultimate goal, but it was something to work towards while she hadn’t figured out her life fully.

”oy, we’re here” the man brought her back once more, reminding her that they were at ‘The Spot’ Lilith smiled and got out of the ravosala, handing the man money for the ride, and quickly he was gone. Lilith looked up at the large ship, considering it was a functioning place of entertainment and drinks, it made it all the more interesting. In the year she had spent here, she hadn’t seen the ship move, she wondered - did it actually move, but even just the idea of it being able to do it made her like this place, sort of remind her of Zeltiva and the ships.

Inside ‘The Spot’ Lilith felt a lot better than in the Silver Sliver, this place never really felt crowded, unlike the Silver. Over the years of living with the mark of Ranuri, Lilith had come to realize that less crowded places like this were where she felt best, she also happened to feel best when she was slightly intoxicated and her senses went a bit blurry.

Without hesitation she walked over to the bar, eying the people as she did, not a lot of people this early - someone had a meal, probably lazy to cook at home, a few people were already drinking. ”What can I get you, hun?” a woman called ”Just ale, Darling” and Lilith kept people watching until she realized that there was only one person who was alone here. ”Here you are””appreciated” Lilith placed a few coins on the bar, took a sip from her mug and kept looking around, her attention returning to the lonely drinker once more. There was a certain air of sadness when you saw someone drinking alone in the early hours, you knew something wasn’t right - Lilith knew, she was a morning drinker herself.

After a few chimes, Lilith made up her mind and with her mug in hand, walked over to the man’s table. ”mind some company, stranger?” she said casually, not really waiting for the man to reply before she took the empty seat in front of him. Lilith passed a glance over the man’s face to try and understand what he took of her awfully direct approach to socializing ”Lilith” she simply stated. Politeness was a virtue after all, though she wasn’t eager to engage in handshaking so she chose not to initiate that.

”you know, this isn’t the place most people come to morning drink their troubles away” which was fairly true, The Spot, was far better known for the odd jobs they offered here, not the ale - it wasn’t bad, but the one you could get at the Silver was better. ”I’m a good listener, a lousy storyteller, but a good listener” she could have been more tactful, but why bother? The fact they were the only people here who came in to drink alone, was a pretty clear indication that they were not only simple folk, but also pretty lonely.
Lilith Krauss
I might be a damsel, but I'm not in distress

Words: 25658
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2017, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Karyk on June 10th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Karyk took another gulp, remembering the first time he truly saw his sister get angry. He was fifteen, an apprentice under his mother at the shipyard. She was twelve, and spent much of her time keeping the house while their parents and Karyk worked. He had come home with a fat lip and bruises all over. An older boy had taunted him and Karyk threw the first punch. And that was the only one he'd thrown before being beaten. His sister had raged, both at him and about the older boy.

She'd dragged him by the ear outside and made him practice punching. For five days she did this, the entire time berating him and yelling. Their parents knew what was going on and just let it happen with knowing smirks. When his little sister decided he was ready, she made him go back to the older boy for a rematch. Karyk still lost, but at least he'd landed several punches. When he came home this time, his sister was sweet, proud of him. She made him his favorite dinner, and even a kelp cake. She didn't care about winning or losing, as long as he actually fought proudly and tried.

A voice dragged him from memory lane, and Karyk looked up to see a pale, black haired woman offering to join him. For a brief morbid moment, Karyk thought that this is what Raven would look like had she been able to grow up. The moment he heard her name, Lilith, his mind changed gears to the present, fully.

He tipped a mug toward her with a curt nod, "Karyk."

Chuckling slightly at her questioning his choice of venue, "I ain't had time to fin' the other waterin' 'oles ye'. Jus' go' 'ere couple days back." Already a bit inebriated, his thick Zeltivan East Street accent came out heavily. It was clear she was intent on not leaving him be, and a small part of him was grateful. "Well ya gonna sit or aintchya?"

Karyk gestured with his mug to the chair next to him, before taking a heavy swig, finishing the mug, and slammed it down. The barmaid scurried over and refilled it, "Thanks lass."

Karyk looked directly into Lilith's eyes, "If ya insis' on drinkin' wit' me, we keep it simple. Ask an' tell, go' it?" Without waiting for consent or agreement, "Sylirans are bunch of petchin' cowards, hidin' behin' their walls. 'sposed to be the," at this he got really sarcastic, "'jewel of Sylira.' Jewel my 'airy ass. Jus' a lump of stone wit'out a spine to be foun'." He took another big swig, "Ever get anyone kilt, Lililth?"
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lilith Krauss on June 16th, 2017, 4:49 pm

The mere fact this man shared his name, meant that he wasn’t really that opposed to the idea of some company, or it was just her gnosis doing its work, either way, the woman was not about to complain. She did make a slight note of his name but was unsure if she’d remember it even till the end of the conversation. Now, something that did spark her interest was the man’s accent, it was pretty heavy and familiar to the ear, but Lilith couldn’t quite pinpoint it to an exact location. ”so structured, so orderly, are you like this about everything, Karyk?” she asked with a jest, just before taking a swing from her own mug. In theory, she didn’t mind the question-answer system, she just hasn't heard someone actually announce it to the person sitting with them.

She listened to the way the man spoke of Syliras with a chuckle, she hadn’t been to the city herself but had heard many things about it both in Zeltiva and in Nyka, oddly enough, in Ravok it was not really mentioned often and she was not really informed as to why. Collectively, the things she had heard were all praises and coated the city a place of the gods, the safest and the most comfortable, like it was plated in gold and everyone walked in silk...then again, considering the living conditions many faced in Zeltiva, a lot of places would seem better.

”Killed? huh….” Lilith repeated before another sip, she was a slow drinker, taking her drinks a sip at a time, slow and steady so to say. ”I don’t know. I’ve taken a dagger to some people’s legs and arms, in protection” she explained, not being ashamed of it, as crime was largely spread around cities and some sort of self-defence was needed for a lot of people, considering she traveled from Zeltiva and spent a fair share of time on a ship, she had to learn to stand up for herself. ”if they wouldn’t take care of the wound, maybe they died of….infection? Would that count?” being a talkative type, she didn’t quite end there ”some have become obsessed with me, maybe a rejection broke their heart and they killed themselves with my name on their lips” now this, she wouldn’t necessarily call true, if someone was obsessed with her, she didn’t know and would likely bet that no such man or woman existed in the first place.

Another long sip before she kept talking ”Though I really doubt that would count as me getting someone killed, and even if it did, I don’t know if I actually have” with that she was nearing the bottom of her mug, and she turned her head to the bar, wondering how long it would take the woman to come by and refill if she just changed what remained in the mug.

Returning to the matter at hand, she was wondering what to ask the man in return, she could go the easy way and reflect the same question at him, if he asked, it likely meant that he had some experience with it, maybe he was even drinking guilt away, but it didn’t feel right to her gut. Lilith wouldn’t feel sorry if she pushed a sensitive or hurtful topic, it just felt too heavy and wouldn’t really do much for herself either. Therefore she chose the second option ”you said you ain’t from Rhysol’s Ravok, where are you from?” seemed like a pretty steady and neutral thing to ask, besides, it would help her pinpoint the accent that was ringing in her ear.

Lilith finished the remains of her ale and soon, the barmaid came up to refill her mug. The woman just gave a nod and the woman went back to the bar.
Lilith Krauss
I might be a damsel, but I'm not in distress

Words: 25658
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2017, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Karyk on June 26th, 2017, 11:25 am

Karyk sipped at his ale as he listened to Lilith tell of defending attackers. A bit of a nasty sneer crept on Karyk's face, as clearly she didn't understand the question. Clearly he wasn't referring to self defense.

And he most certainly wasn't referring to insane romances. Was that even a thing? People killing themselves because they were rejected? That was just dumb. Such a waste. Why bother? If rejected, then clearly the person wasn't worth it, right? Karyk quickly drained his beer and slammed the mug down a tad louder in his annoyance.

Just as her next question was posed, the barmaid refilled his ale with a bit of an annoyed look on her brow, probably at his rude summoning. But Karyk didn't care. Gruffly, he responded, "Zeltiva. East Street. All my life. Buil' ships there. An' now I'm 'ere, on a city wit'out Laviku, wit'out proper ships."

Karyk gave the woman a proper look over now. Her hair was excessively long, impractically long. A shipwright with hair that long would get it tangled in everything. And her skin was so pale. She'd burn right up in a bell he'd imagined. She probably wasn't much of a worker then. Nor an outdoorsy type like Salara. A city woman clearly.

"An' wha' do ya do, Lilith?"
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on September 3rd, 2017, 2:30 am

Karyk
Skills
Observation: 1
Socialization: 1
Lores
Memory: Natya making him fight for himself
Lilith; The black haired city woman
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season Thread was Started (IC & OOC): Summer 517 & Summer 517
Is that Season's expenses paid?: ✓
Eligible for grade? Yes

Lilith Krauss
Skills
Socialization: 2
Observation: 1
Lores
A problem drinker can always spot another
Karyk; The morning drinker at The Spot
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season Thread was Started (IC & OOC): Summer 517 & Summer 517
Is that Season's expenses paid?: No but not needed as it is one season prior to current
Eligible for grade? Yes

Some closing text here...
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes