Solo In My Daughter's Eyes

Job Thread #2

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

In My Daughter's Eyes

Postby Karyk on June 15th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Summer 69, 517

Karyk and his work crew were now beginning on a new ship, a fishing boat. And since they were starting completely from scratch, he'd decided to start Sharay's apprenticeship. After all, he'd started his apprenticing younger than she had, and he was her father now. It was time for her to learn the trade. The twins were at home, under strict orders to behave while they were gone, not just from himself, but from Sharay too. Plus they left them plenty of distractions. Karyk could only now appreciate just how useful it was to have family around. His sister raised five children, with him and his parents helping. He had no idea just how difficult it was alone until now.

But after Shiress slapped some sense into him, he knew he'd do his best for them, and himself. He still wasn't in the best of places, but at least he saw a way out. And that began with teaching Sharay his craft. When he'd arrived at the yard, he bought her a brand new woodcarving and shipwright's kits, even carved her names into them. "Your tools are most important Firebug. Ya need to take as good of care of 'em as ya do me and your brothers." She shook her head, her red curls bouncing all about.

Karyk spent most of first half of the day giving her the tour his crew's work area, introducing her to the other workers. As they were leaving, Karyk bought some a couple medium sized blocks of wood to take home. He wanted Sharay to work on them on days he didn't bring her. Holding one under his arm on his hip, he watched her lugging the other against her chest, leaning way back to try to maintain balance. Karyk smiled and put his hand between her shoulder blades and pushed her forward so her back straightened, "A straight back now keeps it from bein' crooked later."

She smiled, though a bit strained under carrying the wood, nodding in agreement. They stepped out near the office, where customers often came to place orders or check on their ships. It wasn't terribly busy and Karyk saw the receptionist had already gone home for the day. No ravosalas were in sight yet, so Karyk set his block and Sharay's kits down on the ground, and the young woman sat down with him, grateful to not be lugging the wood for the moment.

They sat their waiting, until her voice broke the silence, "How come we didn't go wit' miss Salara to Rivers Fall?" He looked over at her, watching her playing with the wolf tooth necklace that Salara had given her. "Because your uncle is an idiot, Firebug." She stared over at him, expecting more. He sighed, "I thought I was doin' the right thing, comin' with people to Ravok, thinkin' they needed me. To protect y'all from Riverfall. They ain't nice to women there."

A worried look crossed Sharay's face, "But who's gonna protect Salara then?"

Karyk closed his eyes and shook his head, "She'll have to do it 'erself."

"We should've gone wit' 'er. We coulda protected her together." This was stated as a point of fact, no judgement , no malice. Karyk just nodded his head in sad agreement. This kid was far too smart, and forced to get older far too early. "We won't make the same mistake next time, right?"

Sharay smiled and nodded, "Right!"

Karyk looked down the canal, finally seeing a ravosala heading their way, relieved to finally be going home. He felt that thirst tickling the back of his thirst, but he had more important things to get done.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

In My Daughter's Eyes

Postby Karyk on September 6th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Karyk looked skyward to see just how dark it had become. He smiled. Storms were such a strange thing to a Zeltivan like him. On the one hand, they were dangerous for the ships they sent out to sea. Most ships that sank or disappeared did so under the battering of a brutal storm. On the other hand, storms were a test from Zulrav and Laviku, and Zeltiva always survived and endured them. So it often felt as if with each passing storm, their gods smiled upon them for being strong and worthy of their love.

But Karyk worried for the unfinished ship. Sails and riggings had been hung, and accessories had been started, none of which were yet secured enough to endure a large storm. "Love bug, back inside. We 'ave a lo' o' work to do. And I nee' ya to be my torch bear." The little girl beamed up at him and nodded, fierce Southwind determination in her eyes.

Once back on the site, Karyk began planning what all needed to be done. The sails would need tied up fully. All of the attached riggings would need to be fully secured. The rails, cabin doors, steering column would need to be checked and secured. Anything laying about, tools and the like, would need to be put away. Many of the workers left at lunch, to seemingly enjoy this midday darkness. Karyk and Sharay were alone at this dry dock, but other ones had a couple of workers.

Karyk and Sharay unloaded their gear, and he grabbed several torches from the warehouse, stuffing them in Sharay's pack along with his own flint and steel. Once she was strapped up, "Alrigh' darlin', we's gonna climb up the mas' there. I know ya can climb a rope real good so shouldn' be a problem for ya. Then ya light the torch while I tie up the sails. Watch real good on me knots. Ya'll need to know all this, ya know?" The little girl nodded, and hiked up her straps.

It was still very dark, but Karyk could see enough to get around. He led the way up the gangplank, Sharay following right behind. Striding over to the mainmast, Karyk began studying the various riggings. He reached out, and grabbed the middle most one, and undid the knot there. The rope slackened and hung down. "Ya're firs' love bug, Ah'm righ' behin' ya." The little girl grabbed the rope and began up it like a spider monkey. Karyk was both proud and jealous. She had a lot less weight than him so it was a lot easier for her to reach the top and pull herself up and over the yard the rope was attached to.

Karyk stepped on the rope with his left foot, pressing it against the inner curve of his boot with his right foot. Reaching up above his head, he grabbed the rope with both hands, and heaved himself up slowly. As his feet left the ground brought his knees up toward his chest, keeping the rope secured between them. He then reached up with another hand, and both pulled with his arms and pushed off the slack rope with his feet. Karyk focused on maintaining his grip, and controlling his muscles as they burned.

Hand over hand he pulled, Karyk crunching his abs together as he raised his knees, then exploding upward on the extension. Looking up, he could see Sharay just lit one of the torches, and Karyk pressed onward, spurred on by what he assumed was her impatience. Patience most certainly was not a virtue among Southwind women. Shoulders, arms, and abs were all burning as Karyk continued to climb, grateful for the light now. He wondered if this was how people came to Priskil, climbing through the dark slowly and painfully, heading upward toward the light. He inwardly shrug, that was a thought for the priests he supposed.

Finally he reached the yard, and pulled himself up and over the yard, straddling it while he caught his breath. "Slowpoke."

"Shu' i'."

He took in one more deep breath, when the yard cracked loudly, and lurched an inch or so downward, eliciting a startled yelp from them both. Karyk was already reaching out to catch Sharay, even though she didn't fall. But the torch did, bouncing in a shower of sparks off the deck below. "To the mas'!" Sharay began scrambling to the mast, the yard still cracking. Sharay managed to grab a hold of another line from the mast, as Karyk began toward her. Another loud snap, and the yard lurched downward, fully separated from the mast now, and Karyk was falling, hearing the sound of Sharay's scream.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes