[flashback] A short 'lesson' on shielding

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The fortified mountain city of the Isur. [Lore]

Postby Navir on January 25th, 2011, 12:55 pm

26th of winter Year 486 AV

Navir cursed his master's linage up till the founding of sultros as he walked into the lab, broom in hand.
"I heard that Kid! Now you said you wanted to work in the lab, now I am letting you work in the lab and you are still whining about something! make up your mind."
Navir winched as he heard his master shout at him, that never was a good sign. Trying not to push his masters buttons even more or he might get stuck on things worse then dusting for a year. He just grabbed his broom the right way and began methodically sweeping the lab's floor.

"Hey Navir you can stop sweeping the floor now!" His master yelled as he looked at the work Navir had managed to do in the past bell and a half. "And come here will you."
Navir looked up towards his shouting master and nodded, sweeping the small pile of dust he had gathered out of the way, wanting to continue sweeping the floor later. While he hated the chore it was his job and he wasn't going to smirch the honor of the isur with shoddy half done work.
"Coming master." He put away the broom, letting it lean against the wall and walked towards his master, wondering what his master was going to ask from him.

"Now sit down navir, I am going to teach you a skill that will come be vital when you are going to step up to more dangerous work."Navir did what he was told and sat down and looked as his master pulled out one of the complete leather bodysuits that where used by him and his apprentices when they where practicing their alchemy.
"Now navir tell me how this thing protects us from the harmful radiation emitted during the alchemy process." His mentor asked.
Navir just blinked, not really knowing what to say. Didn't they went over this already?
"Well the thick leather protects the less vulnerable locations and the apron haning over the back and front of the body has a few inches of lead worked into it to protect the organs. It's the same with the cap." Navir couldn't help but wonder why he was telling him this. Didn't they go over this when he first arrived? so that he knew how to clean them?

"Right that was what I told you then didn't I? well there is a third barrier to protect us form the radiation,Shielding magic." Just as Navir wanted to open his mouth and ask why he wasn't told his master cut him off.
"I didn't tell you because you kids always want to know as much magic as possible, and even if shielding is the safest magic off all, its still magic and that means dangerous. So if I didn't tell you. you wouldn't bother my ear off every minute to let you learn it."
Navir nodded as he let that sink in, it made a lot of sense when you looked at it from that angle.

"Now get your attention back to me and we will begin with the lesson." navir snapped back to attention when his master called out to him.
"Now shielding is one of the more easier to learn magic disciplines, no fancy initiations, no day's of meditation, the only thing that is required is that you expel your djed and 'weave' it into a shield. We will not think about the last part though and concentrate on expelling your djed."
His master hung the protective garment back onto on its place before he looked back to him.
"Now get started on trying to pull out your djed, I am working in my study if you pull out your djed call me and We will see how you are doing then."
He just turned around and walked away."
Navir just looked at the retreating form of his master with shock, didn't he say that he was going to learn him shielding? Didn't he say that it was magic and was dangerous either way!
"Ehm Master?" Navir carefully piped up, not wanting to set of his masters hair trigger temper.
"Won't it be dangerous to leave me alone trying to figure this out? you said it was magic and thus dangerous a few moments ago."
His master didn't even turn around as he answered Navir.
"Don't worry about that, even the most talented people need almost a week to produce enough djed to weave a shield, and I got better things to do then watch you stumble trough it. So get to work."

Navir looked a bit dumbly at the retreating form of his master. How the heck would he start on that task? Even if he was a pitrius and got some basic magic theory from his parents from childhood, he never practiced magic before, that is what they asked his parents this guy to teach him!
Knowing that grumbling would as much as good as giving a non-isur any kind of power, he settled down on the chair and began thinking about the early lessons about djed he got from his family.
Djed as he remembered it was something that was the fuel for magic, that was easy, but how the heck did you pull it out?
Navir
Player

Words: 13909
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2011, 10:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Navir on January 26th, 2011, 1:02 am

Navir leaned on his hand as he was thinking of a way accessing his djed, but while his education did learn him what djed was it never learned him how to acces it, probably to discourage any dangerous experimenting.
Drawing up a blank on how to proceed on what he was told to do, he stood up and walked to his masters study carefully knocking on the door.
"You already done? That can't be!" His master yelled, Navir winched as the door was pulled open.
"Well you already produced djed or what?" He stared down at Navir.
"No master bu..." His master sighed when he heard that."Let me guess you never learned how to pull out your djed." Navir nodded and internally winched as his master sighed again.
"Well fine I guess I can give you a slight hint, otherwise I won't be able to go back to my work and you won't finish sweeping the lab today. Now It is fairly simple tough, Djed is your inner energy, so to bring it out you need to focus on your inner self." He patted him on the head. "You are a smart lad so figure it out on your own from there and leave me to my work." Not giving him another word he turned back around and closed the door.

Navir stood there for a few moments the words that his master said tumbling trough his head, with focusing on your inner self he probably meant meditating on it, but how would that help? still pondering about it when he walked back to his chair and made himself comfortable. If his master suggested it it couldn't be bad or useless advice. He closed his eyes and slowly tried to clear his mind of all thoughts and to try of think of nothing.
Of course when you try to think of nothing your mind quickly begins to wander or gets distracted. After getting his concentration broken for what seemed like the 40th time Navir growled in annoyance.
"What in izurdins name am I doing wrong?!" In a slight fit of irritation he slammed his black left hand on the armrest of the chair, letting it break with a loud crack.
Before navir could even utter a curse at what he did he heard the door of the study open."Navir! what the petch did you break!" Navir cringed when he heard his master yell and he quickly jumped to his feet searching for a way out or try to come up with a good lie. Unfortunately for him though his master entered the room before he could even begin to formulate a good excuse or escape plan. He looked at the broken chair and then back to him."Right, I am beginning to think letting you alone is indeed a bad idea Navir."
Navir
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Navir on January 28th, 2011, 12:04 am

Navir looked at his feet to avoid looking into the disappointed gaze of his master.
"Sorry master." his master let out a deep sigh as he heard that.
"Why did you break the chair this time Navir." Before Nvair could even open his mouth to answer he was stopped by his master. "No save it, I can imagine something with it, you lost your temper over something again and lashed out in irritation am I right?" Navir couldn't bring anything against that if he wanted, the evidence was there and his master knew him almost as good as his own family.
Navir just nodded in shame at that remark.
"Well I bet you just got irritated at the fact that you couldn't shut out your thoughts right?" The master smiled in that irritating way that let you feel as stupid as you could.
"The trick is not to try and block out all thoughts navir, its focusing on only one thing, for example a word that you repeat over and over again or focusing on your breathing,until you are blocking out everything else. It works a lot better, even though you would still need some practice." He looked at navir "Sit back down and try again and try not to break anything anymore will you? because you are going to replace everything you broke. Including this chair." Navir sat back down on the broken chair as his master said that, looking and looked up at his teacher with a guilty look on his face.
"Now don't look like that and get back to work! I pay you for something don't I?" With that curt reply his master turned around again and walked back to his study, leaving navir alone again.
Deciding to try it out he closed his eyes again and focused on his breathing trying to drown out everything else.
He didn't know how long he sat there, until he suddenly began to feel a weird tingling feeling inside his body.
A giddy smile crossed his face as he felt it and tried to reach out for it.
unfortunaly though, as soon as his concentration was broken the feeling vanished and he was left with nothing.
He grumbled at his failure but began focusing on his eyes again determined to try it as many times as he could.
He didn't know how many times he had tried and tried again and frankly didn't give a rats ass about it iether, what he did care fore was that after his many tries he finally pulled out a tiny amount of djed from his body.
He quickly stood up and ran towards his masters office and rapped on the door.
"Master I did it!" He yelled giddy with joy. "I pulled out some djed!" he didn't have to wait for long on his master. The door was opened and his master motioned for him to come in.
"Now then show me what you can do." he motioned navir to sit down on the chair in front of his desk.
Navir quickly took place on the chair and closed his eyes, once again focusing on his breathing and waiting until he felt the strange feeling again.Carefully repeating what he did only a short while ago and once again produced a bit of djed.
"Right stop now Navir." He felt a hard hand on his shoulder. "You know enough of pulling out djed to practice that at home, just get somebody looking over you when you do it. Navir nodded and let loosened the grip on his djed.
"Now the next part would be constructing a shield out of it. But that is something that takes time and effort and my lab isn't going to clean itself and your pay isn't just giving to you, and I still remember I need some money for a new chair, so scram!" The master just ushered him out of his office and closed the door behind him. Navir just sighed and walked back to the lab, his chores where waiting.
Navir
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets