Solo A First Step in the Right Direction

Ambrosia hears word on her sister for the first time since the disappearance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

A First Step in the Right Direction

Postby Ambrosia Alar on November 28th, 2017, 3:14 pm

26th of Autumn, 517 AV

These were the evenings Ambrosia loved best. Syna had not yet set, but already, the Stallion’s Rear was busy. The tables weren’t packed as sometimes they got on certain nights. There were enough open seats that the tavern would feel pleasantly filled yet inviting to anyone walking through the door. Even with all the drinks she was filling, Ambrosia still had time to talk with each of her patrons briefly as she did. Some, the familiar faces and the brand new ones, she talked with longer than the others.

She was with one of the latter at the moment, an older gentleman who had come in looking like he could use a few mugs of ale. When she sat down across from him with his requested bottle of degtine and a shot glass, she could see the sorrow in his eyes, a deep sorrow, not the kind that should be drowned in alcohol. Filling the shot glass, Ambrosia set it on the table between them but didn’t push it toward him. His eyes rose to meet hers, and the heartbreak in them was overwhelming.

“I don’t know what broke your heart, love, but this isn’t the way to forget.”

She hoped he wasn’t furious for her saying so. Cade had a knack for knowing when to cut people off and when not to let them start in the first place, and even better, he always seemed to know the right words to say to get that point across. Ambrosia had a ways to go before she could convince a drunk he didn’t want alcohol, but there were still some people that she tried to stop anyhow. Cade trusted her judgment. The few times she had had to cut people off or told them not to start at all, the response hadn’t been pleasant. Ambrosia was expecting anger. He didn’t show it.

Instead, he sighed and shrank so much that Ambrosia wasn’t sure if there was a man left inside the body. His shoulders slumped in dejected defeat, and he shook his head. “It’s not to make me forget. Believe me, I’ve tried. I tried a lot, and it didn’t end up pretty. It’s just to make me not care.”

“By the look in your eyes, love, I’d say even that doesn’t happen.” She slid his shot toward him.

Shaking his head, he took the shot. “You’re right. It doesn’t.”

Reaching across the table, she refilled the shot glass. “What’s your name, love?”

He drained the shot again before he answered. “Mr. Marcel.”

“No first name?”

“Not that I care to share. I don’t mean to become a regular fixture here. It wouldn’t be good for me. Wouldn’t be good for your business either.”

“That’s fair, Mr. Marcel.” Ambrosia hesitated, unsure if she should press any further. Some people just needed someone to listen. Against her better judgment, she asked. “Can I ask what broke your heart?”

The man tapped the rim of his shot glass and waited for Ambrosia to fill it. Once she did, he threw it back again, his face making that familiar one that showed a slight pleasure at degtine’s burn. “It was her.”

Ambrosia gave him a sad and understanding smile. “It’s always a girl, ain’t it?”

Marcel smiled and nodded. “It is. And you know what? It’s the only thing in this world worth letting break your heart.”

“Who was she?”

“Atala Nadia.”

It was just a name, but something in the way it slipped off his tongue in what must have been her native accent told Ambrosia she would never know love like this, never be loved as much as this man loved the mysterious Atala Nadia. Ambrosia was immediately jealous but didn’t envy the man loving somebody so much it could cause this much agony.

A smile spread across his face. “Akalaks felt ashamed to call themselves blue when they saw her eyes. That must’ve been her Benshiran heritage. And her hair, warm honey only wished it looked so good.”

“You’re making me jealous that I never knew her.”

“You think that sounds good?” For a moment, his heartbreak was truly forgotten as he lived in the memory of the woman he had loved. “You should have heard her voice. But it was nothing compared to the way she said my name. My name.” And just like that, his sadness returned. “That’s why I don’t want anyone knowing my first name. Nobody could say it the way she did, give it the meaning she did. Gods. It was like the first warm breeze that breaks a winter, like goosebumps on a summer evening, like the warm light of a winter sun. There was such stark contrast to the way she said it compared to everyone else.”

“And what happened?” Ambrosia was expecting a story of infidelity. She should’ve known better.

The sorrow was worse than it had been before as Mr. Marcel admitted, “She died.”

Ambrosia suddenly understood, and her heart broke with his. She wanted to say something to comfort him, but nothing came.

“She was my wife. Thirty-seven years we spent together, each one better than the one before. Even sick, she managed to make our last year together my favorite, even as I watched her life drain away day by day. Her voice lost its luster but not when she said my name. Then, there was that familiar breath of life.” He sighed. “This is the second anniversary of her death. I’d rather just forget that day. But like you said, that doesn't happen.”

“So maybe you should make it a night to make new memories, make some friends. It won’t help you forget, but at least there can be good memories with the bad.”

“I already have plenty of good memories. I don’t need any more.”

“Up to you. If you change your mind, come up to the bar, and I’ll introduce you to a few of my friends.”

Leaving the bottle with him, Ambrosia returned to her favorite regulars who were seated at the bar, Winnie and Paul. The young couple was having a whispered conversation, and Winnie burst into laughter as Ambrosia finally managed to finish seeing to everyone who was up at the bar looking for another drink.

“What’re we laughing about?”

“You,” Winnie admitted.

“Me?”

“Well, your preference for older men.”

“I don’t prefer older men,” Ambrosia objected.

“You certainly gave him more time than you’ve given anyone else tonight, me included.” Winnie frowned at that. “I’m almost wounded.”

Rolling her eyes, Ambrosia shook her head. “There was a reason for that. He was heartbroken. You could see it in his eyes if you just looked.”

“I wasn’t staring into his eyes,” Winnie retorted.

Ambrosia glared and gave Winnie a fake laugh. “Petch you. I’m being serious. His wife passed two years ago today. I was trying to convince him not to drink, but when I found that out, I figured he deserved to get as shitfaced as he likes. I guess I’ve lost a step in how persuasive I can be.”

Winnie’s smile left. “Poor dear.”

Ambrosia nodded. “Yeah. I invited him over. Considering his reason for being here, if he does come over, I suggest keeping the romance to a minimum.” She was about to refill Paul and Winnie’s drinks when Winnie’s earlier comment popped into mind. “And he’s one person. How does that give me a preference for older men?”

“He’s only one, but there are plenty of others. Shall I name them off? There’s Cordon.”

“He’s not that old. And besides, I don’t fancy him. I enjoy his company the same as everyone else here does.”

Winnie laughed. “He’s in his late thirties, Ambrosia. And don’t think I haven’t seen the gazes you send his way when you think no one is looking. Then, there’s Cade.”

“Cade is my boss. Of course, I like him, but only because he makes my job so enjoyable.”

“Right.” Winnie didn’t believe Ambrosia for a moment. “I see the way you put your hands on him. How many times have you let him walk you home once the Rear is closed?”

Shock was all Ambrosia could manage. “Winnie! I’m not that kinda girl.”

“You could’ve fooled me. Trust me, I’ve got plenty more.”

Ambrosia smiled at Winnie. “What about you? You’re not an old man.”

That brought the blush Ambrosia had been searching for. “Don’t you change this subject on me, Ambrosia.”

Ambrosia’s smile broadened, and her tongue poked out a little. “You blushed. I win.”

It was a competition that existed between the two. They tried to see who could get the other to blush more.

Winnie shook her head and glared, hiding her angry mutters behind her wine glass. “This isn’t even close to over tonight.”

Across the tavern at his table, Mr. Marcel took a deep look at his bottle, shook his head, stood up, and started toward the bar.

Ambrosia tapped on the bar top to get the couple’s attention. “Our friend is coming up.”

Mr. Marcel took a free seat next to Paul and held up the bottle. “Care to join me for a drink?”

Ambrosia set out four shot glasses as she introduced the three to each other. “Mr. Marcel. I’m glad you decided to join us. These are my friends, Winnie and Paul. Winnie, Paul, this is Mr. Marcel. Just Mr. Marcel. No first name.”

Winnie held up her hand and shook her head. “I really shouldn’t.”

Mr. Marcel leaned forward on to the bar while filling the glasses and spoke around Paul. “Young lady, with the way you keep staring at this boy and the way he keeps staring back, I really think you should. Life’s really too short to miss any opportunities, especially with those we love.”

Winnie blushed again but shrugged and held up her shot glass. The four of them took their shots together, and Mr. Marcel filled the glasses again. After the third shirt, Ambrosia saw a familiar face enter the bar. Eli. One of her most treasured regulars and her best contact for any news out in the city. He was also her best chance at finding anything out about Tessa, and Ambrosia’s pestering over the last fortnight had been enough to make him stop coming for a week. She knew better than to go to him, even it was to bring him a drink. Instead, she flashed him a happy smile and waved. He caught her eye and returned the smile before instructing a man who had entered with him to take a seat at the table Mr. Marcel had abandoned. Then he made his way up to the bar. Ambrosia had a mug of lager waiting for him when he arrived.
Last edited by Ambrosia Alar on March 27th, 2020, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambrosia Alar
"The kid's got smiles for days."

Words: 242735
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Mentor (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Ambrosia Alar on March 15th, 2018, 4:01 am

Pushing the mug across to him, she smiled. “You’ve been away too long, Eli. We missed you?”

“We?”

“I did,” Ambrosia admitted, “but I’m sure I ain’t the only one.”

Eli held up the beer appreciatively. “Thanks. On the house?”

“Of course.”

Eli nodded but lingered at the bar, ready to say something but hesitating about whether or not he should.

Ambrosia took the shot that Mr. Marcel pushed her way but immediately returned her attention to Eli. “What’s on your mind, love?”

Eli’s eyebrows furrowed as he debated whether or not to say anything to Ambrosia. Three times, his mouthed opened but closed before any words made it out. Finally, he threw his beer back and drained it in one long go. Setting the mug quietly on the bar top, he reached into his pocket and set the necessary coin for another in front of Ambrosia. Concerned, Ambrosia filled the mug back up as quickly as she could, sloppily letting the head spill over on to her hand. This wasn’t the usual Eli she knew, loud and gregarious and unafraid of stepping on people’s toes a bit. When she set the mug in front of him while sucking the beer suds off the crook of her hand, Eli took a long, slow drink of it before he set it down again.

When Eli spoke, he did so while staring down into his mug, past its contents and past the bar top. “I don’t want to get your hopes up, Ambrosia.”

She stopped breathing, and her heart started racing. There was only one thing he could be talking about. Tessa. He knew something about her. Without thinking, Ambrosia’s hand shot across the counter and caught his. Doing her best to be gentle, she tried to squeeze his hand to coax the words out of him, but she did a poor job restraining her enthusiasm. Her hand was crushing down on his. Luckily, his work had turned his hands rough and strong, and he withstood her grip with only a light grimace. Tears began to build, and Ambrosia blinked them desperately back. Mr. Marcel pushed a shot her way again, but she pushed it back and held up a finger on her free hand, telling him to wait. With the breath that finally came, Ambrosia encouraged Eli to say what he had found. “What do you know?”

“Nothing,” Eli admitted, “but I found someone who seems to know something. Before I even mentioned a reward, he said he recognized Tessa and had seen her about the Port about the time she went missing. It seemed legitimate.”

Ambrosia looked over Eli’s shoulder to the man he had brought to the bar. He was a curious fellow, his eyes wandering slowly over the entirety of the Stallion’s Rear and its interior, memorizing every detail as he went. Ambrosia didn’t recognize him, so if he had been in before, it hadn’t been often. The way he seemed to look at the room in wonder said he’d never stepped foot inside. Though he wasn’t an unpleasant looking fellow (his face had a friendly, genial way about it), his hygiene did seem to be lacking a bit. His hair was greasy with a look that said he’d never washed it once in his life, and his face was a myriad of patterns made with dirt and grease and soot and what she could only assume were streaks of sweat.

“Is that him?”

Eli nodded.

Keeping a hold of his hand, Ambrosia began to pull him down the bar to where she slip out from behind it. “Come on. Let’s see what he knows.”

Eli caught himself on the bar and dragged her to a halt. “There’s something you gotta know before you go over.”

Ambrosia didn’t want to wait any longer, but Eli obviously thought whatever he had to say now was important. Irritated, she nodded at him to continue.

When Eli spoke again, he let his eyes drift to the wood ring patterns in the bar top rather than meet hers. “It’s about the reward.”

“He wants more? That’s fine. If he has any idea on Tessa’s whereabouts, I’m willing to give him a season’s wages, if the lead pans out.”

She started to go around the bar, but Eli stopped her again. “It’s not that. He wants something other than money.”

Ambrosia wasn’t following, and her blank stare said so.

Sighing, Eli locked his gaze with a knot in the pattern before going on. “You see, he thinks of himself as a collector.”

“So we’ll find him whatever it is he collects.”

“What he collects is only something you can give him.”

It only took a moment for that to sink in, and when it did, Ambrosia shoved Eli’s hand away angrily. Her glare was full of fire, and she practically spat venom at him. “Eli, I ain’t that kinda girl. I can’t believe you think I’d do that. I ain’t sleeping with him. You can sleep with him.”

Eli reached out to calm her, but she smacked his hand away. “Go eat shit.”

“It’s not what you think.” Eli repeated that several times until she calmed enough to listen to what he said. “It’s not sex he wants. He collects kisses from beautiful women.”

Ambrosia turned back toward Winnie, Paul, and Mr. Marcel, fed up with anything else Eli had to say. “I ain’t kissing him. You can kiss him.”
Ambrosia Alar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Ambrosia Alar on April 10th, 2018, 2:15 am

Eli’s strong hand caught her arm and didn’t let go. When she met his eyes, they weren’t angry like she expected them to be. Instead, they were full of concern, and his voice was heavy with reassurance. “Please don’t walk away, Rosie.” He used Tessa’s pet name for her, because he knew it would work. Ambrosia sank up against the bar, leaning forward so she could continue their conversation in private. He went on. “Please just consider it. I wouldn’t ask you to do this if I thought he was lying. A kiss is a small price to pay if he can tell us what Tessa was up to before she disappeared.”

Eli let her go, and Ambrosia realized the only reason she was so worked up about the kiss to begin with was that she had thought she was being asked to sleep with someone. That was intimacy on a level she wasn’t willing to just give away to a stranger. A kiss, too, was intimate but in a different way and was something she’d part with a little more readily. She’d kissed her fair share of strangers here in the Rear. She thought about it a few more moments, then nodded to Eli.

“I’ll do it. Let him know I’ll be over in a chime or two.”

Eli nodded and turned back toward the table with his beer.

“And, Eli, thanks for making me be reasonable.”

He smiled and shuffled off, stopping by to say hello to familiar faces on his way. Ambrosia got caught at the bar filling drinks for drunk and thirsty patrons for more than the promised chime or two, but she had to let work come first while she was here. That was difficult to do with the prospect of finding something out about Tessa. When she finished, she stopped quickly with her three friends to take the shot she had abandoned during her conversation with Eli.

Mr. Marcel pushed her shot glass back toward her. “Finally, this shots been waiting on you.”

“What was that about?” Winnie was always curious about what her favorite barmaid was up to.

“Somebody knows something about Tessa.”

Winnie’s eyebrows shot up. She knew what that meant to Ambrosia. “What are you still doing here, then?”

Holding up the shot, Ambrosia waited for the others to do the same. “I wouldn’t miss a chance to drink with friends.”

She took the shot and hurried across the bar with two shot glasses and a bottle of degtine, taking a seat with Eli and his informant before anyone could ask her for a refill. Setting the shot glasses in front of each man, she filled them up.

The informant held up his hand. “I’m good without, miss.”

Ambrosia took his shot glass for herself. “You can’t trust a man who doesn’t drink.”

The man shrugged. “Maybe I’m not trustworthy.”

Ambrosia smiled. “You’d better be. Eli said you knew something about Tessa.”

“Indeed, I do. Dark-haired girl, right?” He continued at Ambrosia’s affirmation. “Yeah, I know she was about the Port a lot toward the end of last season.”

“Any more than that?” Ambrosia wasn’t sure that was worth paying anything for.

The man nodded. “Something real specific. And fishy. Do you want me to tell you now?”

Ambrosia shrugged. “Well, there’s the matter of your payment. I’d hate for you to not get paid if I get called away.”

While the man had seemed comfortable before, he suddenly became nervous at the mention of payment. His eyes dropped to the table. “Um. About the payment. I was hoping to…”

He trailed off, and Ambrosia half-considered letting him wallow in his discomfort but didn’t have the time for that. If he really knew something about Tessa, she wanted to know it, too. “Relax, love. Eli already told me what you want.”

The man relaxed a little but not much. “And?”

“Well, I ain’t killed you yet.” Winking, Ambrosia lightened the mood and put the man at ease. “I’d take that as a good sign, if I were you.”

Relaxing completely, the man slouched back in his chair and smiled. “I’m glad. You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve gotten slapped for that request.”

Ambrosia laughed. “Oh, I believe it. What’s your name, love?”

“Is that really necessary?”

Ambrosia shrugged. “I ain’t kissing someone whose name I don’t know.”

Eli’s informant nodded. “That’s fair. It’s Whalt.”

Pulling a gold rimmed miza from her pocket, she placed it in front of Eli and held up her shot glass. “To us.”

Throwing back the shot, she barely felt the burn. That was always the first sign she’d had too much. As she set the glass down, she reminded herself to slow down as her arm felt sluggish to respond. Ambrosia stared at the empty glass for several ticks, hesitant to continue but knowing she had to. Whalt knew something about Tessa, and anything was more than what she had at the moment. In the few steps that it took to get to Whalt’s side, Ambrosia began to imagine all the people she’d rather be kissing. Cade was the first who jumped to mind, but Cordon quickly followed. A few other regulars came next. Even a few of the women she knew. Winnie. And…

Shaking her head to clean everyone from her thoughts, she looked into his eyes. If this was the only payment he demanded for solid information on Tessa, then Ambrosia would be damned if she didn’t pay him in full. Her hand found his cheek and tipped his face, covered in grease and grime, up toward hers. This wasn’t the face she had planned on kissing tonight. Then again, she hadn’t been planning on kissing anyone. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise.

Leaning in, Ambrosia closed her eyes just before her lips met his and felt his breath on her lips. Over the alcoholic spice on her own breath, she could smell nothing on his. And then, they met, lips feather light against the other. The kiss she left on his lips was one she imagined a lover might use to wake their beloved, and he responded in kind, meeting her with the sleepy kiss she’d imagined would come in turn. It was gentle and lingering, so soft it was almost nonexistent, and Ambrosia wished it would never end. After what seemed like far too short of a time, Whalt broke the kiss and began to pull away. Snaking around the back of his head, her fingers held him still as her lips found his again. She was amazed at how little pressure it took to control a man. Her fingers were as light on his head as her lips were on his, but he held still. Her lips finally parted with his, the scent of degtine still warm on her breath as she sighed.

Her eyes blossomed open, and she smiled at him as he sat back, trying to capture every detail he could. “You lock that in your memory, love. I’ll be back around to collect on my half of the bargain. Make sure you don’t leave out a single detail of mine.”

As she turned away from Whalt, she heard Eli mumble, “I should’ve asked for a kiss.”

Setting a hand on Eli’s cheek, she smiled and shook her head. “That offer was never on the table for you, Eli. Do you really think you’d get a kiss from me?”

He shrugged. “A guy can be hopeful.”

“And how long have you been trying?”

“Since as long as you’ve been working here.”

With a sly smile, Ambrosia nodded. “That long, and it hasn’t happened yet.” Leaning in close, she whispered in his ear, “And it’s not happening tonight.”

As much fun as it would be to leave him with nothing, Ambrosia adored this particular regular far too much to do that. In a moment against her better judgment, her lips found his cheek, leaving a kiss that was more sisterly than seductive, but as she pulled away, they brushed over the corner of his, for a moment giving the hint of a thought of lingering there. It was quick enough Eli had no chance to respond, and he was left confused but satisfied.

When Ambrosia turned back to the bar, she noticed the general hubbub had quieted considerably and most eyes were on her. Perhaps this was more of a boon than she had thought. With those looks, business was bound to get good. Ignoring them, Ambrosia returned to her friends. What she couldn’t ignore was Paul’s mouth agape. Winnie’s too.

“What’s that look for?”

“That made me jealous,” Paul admitted.

Glaring, Ambrosia shook her head as she refilled the shot glasses. “You’ve got Winnie. You ain’t allowed to be jealous.”

“No. He’s allowed.” Winnie pulled her shot glass toward her. “That made me jealous.”

Ambrosia wasn’t sure if it was the alcohol taking effect or that admission, but Winnie’s cheeks had a growing rosiness, a blush. At such a compliment, Ambrosia managed to produce a blush of her own.

Before she could respond though, the requests for drinks started pouring in. Every man who came up to the bar tried to figure out a way to ask for a kiss. Some were cleverer about it than others, and it almost made Ambrosia want to give in. Almost.

One man, a regular by the name of Eddie, approached the bar after a multitude of unsuccessful attempts by nearly half the men in the Rear. He pointed back to Whalt. “I’ll have what he had.”

Ambrosia smiled and laughed, leaning in closer to Eddie. “What he had? You want a kiss?”

Eddie smirked, certain he was about to succeed where others had failed.

Ambrosia leaned in, but before Eddie could ever try for his coveted kiss, she shook her head. “Ain’t gonna happen.”

“Oh, come on.”

“I ain’t coming on. I’ve seen your wife, Eddie. She’d kill me.”

Eddie laughed, thought about it for a moment, nodded, and laughed again. “Yeah, you’re probably right. You’re scrappy, but she’d drop you in no time flat.”

Ambrosia nodded emphatically. “Exactly. Which is why you ain’t getting a kiss, not from me.” She pushed a shot glass toward him playfully. “But I’ll sell you a drink, so you can get drunk, go home, and charm the Hai out of your wife to get a kiss from her.”

“You’re too good to me.” Eddie pulled out the necessary coins and placed them on the bar.
Ambrosia Alar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Ambrosia Alar on December 27th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Intermission (Temporary Grades)

Ambrosia

Skills
● Drinking +2
● Intelligence +1
● Investigation +2
● Negotiation +2
● Observation +3
● Persuasion +4
● Seduction +2
● Socialization +4

Lores
● Knowing when to cut people off
● "It's always a girl, ain't it?"
● Mr. Marcel: Heartbroken patron
● Atala Nadia: Mr. Marcel's dead wife and the reason for his heartbreak
● Whalt: Knows something about Tessa
● Whalt: Collector of kisses
● "You can't trust a man who doesn't drink."
● When alcohol stops burning, you've had too much
● A Lover's Kiss
● Ambrosia's Kiss: Makes others jealous

Comments

Keep rocking along. You'll get back to these stories. Don't forget to edit this once you do.
Ambrosia Alar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)