The Horse-Lover and the Midget go for a Hunt (Arabella)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Ariel on January 30th, 2011, 2:25 am

35 Winter, 510 AV

Ariel was sitting with her back as straight as possible in Rafael's saddle. Her hands were tightly gripping his leather reigns, the red pigmentation that filled them growing more and more prominent as she clutched them. Ariel's feet were resting in he stirrups, and were right up against Rafael's side. She was squeezing his sides with her tiny clay feet, willing him to press onwards and keep up with Arabella, a Drykas, who for some strange reason, asked her to come along on a hunt, even though Ariel assured her that someone as tiny as she wouldn't be much use in such a situation.

Rafael was a few paces behind Arabella, following her along like a shadow being cast in the presence of a great deal of light. Ariel smiled pleasantly as the sun beat down on them, and she followed Ara along, her kitten's trot constantly struggling to keep up with Arabella's pace. Ariel flicked the reigns, and gave Rafael a swift kick. "Keep up would ya?" Ariel muttered, as the kitten kicked up tiny clods of dirt in its wake.

Ariel had never been on a hunt before. But then again, she assumed that her lack of knowledge on how hunts worked had to do with the fact that her kind had no use for such outings. After all, they lived entirely off of clay. All they needed to do was find a deposit, rip off a few good-sized pieces, and they'd be good to go for a few months, after all, they only needed to eat once every two weeks or so, more often if they were sick or injured, obviously. Ariel sighed, she couldn't imagine having to work so hard for food. She wondered how all the other Mizaharian races managed.

Ariel flicked Rafael's reigns again as the kitten trailed behind Arabella, right up against her heels. The soft pads of his feet making next to no sound as he walked. The travelers had been silent for quite some time, until Ariel spoke again, "hey Ara, may I ask what exactly we're looking for? I don't mean to appear naive, but, I have never been on a hunt before, and would like to be as helpful as possible, you know?"

OOCAnd by "flicked" I mean when a rider cracks them on the horse's back/neck like a whip... sorry I know there should be a term for that, but I sure as heck don't know it. >.<
Ariel
I'm NOT Short, I'm Fun-Sized!

Words: 181717
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Arabella Starweaver on January 30th, 2011, 2:38 am

The sun was shining, it was rare in the cold of winter, but there it was, it felt good beating down on her and her little friend. Her pale skin seemed shiny in the sunlight, luckily there was no breeze so she had let her long black hair hang freely, not caring if it began to tangle. She walked at a steady pace, long legs moving swiftly over tricky land. She was used to it though, so she wasn't concerned.

Arabella's gaze drifted backward at the tiny pycon struggling to keep up with her on her "mount". She smirked at the thought of such a tiny kitten being called such a thing, but she supposed when you are that small those things seem large. She slowed her pace slightly hoping not to over work the two. She would feel terribly guilty if she exhausted them when it was her idea to go on the hunt in the first place. She smiled at the thought, Ariel had looked so confused when she had asked her to join her. It wasn't so much she wanted to hunt as it was she just needed to get away for a while.

She wasn't like most around her, she wanted to go and see things. Arabella had always been a dreamer, and she hated being tied to one place, but she didn't get much say in the matter. These outings alone were rare but welcomed whenever she can get them.

Arabella heard her speak and turned her head and looked down "Well, look for things that move, big or little. I'm not really out to hunt today anyway, just needed a break, you know?" she probably wouldn't understand, but that was fine, it was the principle of the thing really.
Arabella Starweaver
Player

Words: 55633
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Ariel on January 30th, 2011, 3:14 am

Ariel's entire body drooped. Her back curved forward, as her shoulders slumped, and her hands fell to rest on the saddle as she held onto the reigns. Her grip had loosened, and she only held on with her right hand now. The smile that was once displayed upon her tiny clay features, disappeared, only to be replaced by an expression that portrayed nothing in particular- not sorrow, or anger, happiness, or fear. It was simply a plain, lifeless expression.

Ariel sighed, she supposed she was winging this one, since Arabella didn't seem much in the mood to teach her about the art of the hunt. It was slightly disheartening to her, to be invited on a trip, and then to be told that they were essentially just going for a walk to get away, and that Ariel wouldn't be learning anything new... well... as far as the art of the hunt was concerned. Ariel sighed again, she supposed she was happy to have someone to walk with, and hopefully to talk to, but it would be nice to know what a hunt was. Especially since it was an expectation of hers, that she would learn what they entailed today. Ariel sighed again heavily, there was no use in getting upset, she couldn't force Arabella to share anything she didn't want to with her.

Ariel trailed silently behind Arabella for a few moments before speaking again. "I understand, sometimes we all need to get away from the hustle and bustle of things... talk things out, mull things over in our minds. That sort of thing," Ariel paused for a moment, "if I may be so bold, what is on your mind Bella? We may always chat about it and keep a look-out for any sudden movements in the grass at the same time."
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Arabella Starweaver on January 30th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Arabella noticed the zoned out look on Ariel's face and realized she might have wanted to learn more about hunting. She didn't quite know why, pycon had no need to hunt, but if she wanted to learn she supposed she could teach her something. Her mind kind of wandered and she let her natural instincts take over and began scanning the area, trained eyes would pick up on even the slightest movements.

"See, what you have to do is make sure you are paying attention with all your senses, it's not just about seeing, its about hearing and feeling the things around you. Be more in touch with what's going on, don't just look for it." she continued looking around, occsionally glancing down at her little friend. "When you see a target, you can't just shout it out, then it knows you see it, you have to walk around it, circle it without it knowing you are really seeing it, be incognito."

Arabella was a natural born hunter, she had always been good at it, and she enjoyed it, she just wasn't in the mood today. She had so much on her mind, she hated being in one place for to long, but she had little to no choice in the matter. She let herself daydream, allowing her little pycon friend to take her advice and search, she would point something out if she saw it. Ara smiled inwardly at her own thoughts of freedom and the ability to do what she wanted to do without having to worry about so many other people.

Ariel asked her what it was, and she wasn't sure she should tell her, if it would make her sound awful. She decided to take a chance on it "Its just that sometimes I wish there was more for me, ya know, away from the pavillion. I want to see more around us, what's going on in the outside world." it was strange to have such feelings as a Drykas, they had rules to follow but then Ara was always breaking them. It got her into a lot of trouble, but she didn't want to be totally controlled.
Arabella Starweaver
Player

Character sheet

Postby Ariel on January 31st, 2011, 4:43 am

Ariel smiled up at Arabella, so her new friend had a heart for adventure too? she thought, flicking Rafael's reigns again so that he'd pick up the pace. The kitten always seemed to be slacking. "I think it is normal for someone to want to get away sometimes... to want to explore the world and see new things... at least, once they get to a certain age..." Ariel's voice trailed off for a moment, as she gave Rafael another swift kick . "I mean, I'm rather young and have managed to study in Zeltiva, visit Mura, and come here already, but then again, I have always had a heart for adventure, and hate feeling like I'm tied down, or stuck in one place."

Ariel paused for a moment before she spoke again, "but then again, pycons don't tend to live as long as Drykas, or at least, I don't think so, so I suppose we would have to get out and into the world sooner if we expect to have enough time to see it all before we really do turn into tiny clay statues... or get smushed under someone's shoe..." Ariel's voice was carried away on the wind. She looked down at her hands and sighed, it always troubled her; the notion that she wouldn't get to do everything she wanted to. The notion that she may not get to see it all before she was killed in her travels; or before she turned to stone. She always wondered what she'd be then... if it'd still be a woman with wings and long-flowing dresses, or perhaps one of her earlier forms- like a horse or porcupine, or something she hadn't yet seen. She wondered what everyone would think of her once they knew her true form. Ariel sighed, she really hoped it was something good.

Ariel rode along in silence for a few minutes; she and Rafael trailing behind Arabella by only a few paces. When Ariel finally looked up again from her hands, she glanced around, from left to right, looking for any sudden movements, any sign of life, something that would prove that she and Bella were not alone in the giant fields of green grass.

Suddenly, Ariel heard a rustling coming from their left. She turned her head to face that direction, and could have sworn she saw the grass moving. "Pst... Pst... Bella, what's that?" Ariel asked, not realizing that unless she specified what she meant by 'that,' Bella would more than likely be a little confused.
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Arabella Starweaver on February 1st, 2011, 6:17 am

Arabella smiled slightly, no one understood it really, she wanted more but she couldn't have it. Kayiri would never allow her to leave the pavilion, she was tied to her family, whom she loved, but she could use a break once in a while. "At least you get to see things, you can go whenever you feel like, do what you want, you're free to run your own life." in a way she was jealous of Ariel, she was so lucky to be able to go out and do what she pleased. She could just up and go whenever she wanted, granted she moved rather slow and couldn't cover much ground at once, but she got to really SEE things. "You're so lucky Ariel, you can up and leave whenever you wish, do whatever you want to do. I can't do that, I have to sit and stay and obey. I'm like a pet." she felt bad for feeling that way but she couldn't help it. It was the truth.

Arabella's head snapped up at the slight movement she heard, then noticed Ariel pointing it out. It wasn't a particularly large creature, but it would be good to show her how it's done. As a small person, she would find the creature large. Her eyes gazed over it, she didn't want to kill it, such and small thing should grow more.

"It's a baby I think, but generally we would wait patiently for it to show no more interest in us, and then go for it. You have to move very fast to make sure you get the element of surprise. Right now it sees us as a small threat, when it lowers it's head it will no longer assume us significant." She watched it for a short time. At least it didn't seem unnerved by there presence, it just stood there stupidly, staring at them like it knew something. Arabella turned back towards Ariel "It seems more curious then anything else, kind of lost. Poor thing." she had a small soft spot, it was rarely seen but it was there. She figured in the immediate company it was okay to let her guard down a little. Not like Ariel would attack her.
Arabella Starweaver
Player

Character sheet

Postby Ariel on February 1st, 2011, 3:37 pm

"That doesn't sound... fun," Ariel commented, before taking a moment to think. "Do you think that perhaps, if you suggested your family go away for a little, even if it wasn't too far, they'd let you go, since you'd be with your own kind? Like if you suggested you go out to gather some sort of necessary supply or go on an intense hunting trip or something that would build your character and your strength, thus making you even more useful to your clan in your future, they'd let you go?" Ariel paused for a moment, "Obviously it would only work if you suggested your case well, I suppose, but... would that be something you'd be willing to try, or is it not worth it?" Ariel asked, as she pulled back on Rafael's reigns, forcing him to come to a grinding halt as she looked up at Arabella, slowly starting to realize that Bella had no intention of killing the animal she thought may be a baby. Ariel thought that that was a nice thing to do, but she wondered if a baby made that much noise, how much did an adult or an adolescent make?

"But Ara, if we are meant to use the element of surprise when we are hunting, wouldn't your height and general appearance give you away? After all, unlike myself and Rafael here, you head does stick up and out of the grass, and it is apparent that you are wielding a weapon. Or are the things you hunt incapable of knowing such things? Do they think you are merely another animal out for a stroll? Or do they know better, and wait, wait for you to make a move, but when you make them wait for too long, they forget what they're waiting for, shrug, and then wind up..." Ariel's voice trailed off as she gulped, "on your dinner plate?" Ariel flicked the reigns, Rafael didn't respond, she sighed, wondering if she truly wanted Bella to answer her second question.
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Arabella Starweaver on February 4th, 2011, 2:52 am

"My family isn't one for going places, they like the hunt, and to do things on their own times, and to have me included. It's not really easy to just get away, like I did today, I am glad you are here with me though, it's nice to have a friend around." it was true, she was fond of the pycon, her company was pleasant and she was easy to talk to, Arabella trusted her and that was rare to come by. She saw Ariel looking at the creature "They grow to be large beasts, I think they are rather cute though, to bad you can't tame them, imagine walking around with it as a pet." she supposed Ariel couldn't imagine that, her small cat was large to her, rideable even. Arabella's own mount was off somewhere, probably glad to have a nice little break, he was far to spirited to be worked all the time, like her, she imagined he would also want bigger things for himself.

"It's meant to see us, but trust us I suppose, when it lowers it's head it feels safer around us, giving us a golden opportunity, that way when we move we don't have to worry much about it running." it was tricking it into trust that was usually difficult, most male Drykas just run after the after animals, but Arabella like to have an organized system of doing things, she had always found this method useful. "This one trusted quickly because it's a juvenile, it doesn't know otherwise, it's ignorant. How can you know not to trust when no one teaches you otherwise? You know?" it was a logical explanation, or at least she thought so. Animals were so foolish sometimes, but they always seemed so blissful, they could do what they wanted, the only worries they had were if they were going to be killed, that seemed trivial compared to the worries of people, there was so much to think about.
Arabella Starweaver
Player

Character sheet

Postby Ariel on February 4th, 2011, 4:42 am

"I'm happy you invited me, even if I know nothing of how to hunt," Ariel said, beaming up at Arabella. She felt like the drykas was finally starting to open up to her, and that she was learning more and more about hunting. Even though it would more than likely be a useless skill for her to learn, Ariel enjoyed listening and learning nonetheless. And the more she thought about, the more she realized that it seemed to calm Bella a bit each time she explained something to her, so she sat quietly in Rafael's saddle allowing Bella's words to wash over her.

It was a few moments before Ariel spoke again. "And now that you mention it, that animal does seem young, it steps lightly, doesn't it?" Ariel asked, as she simply nodded in agreement with Arabella. "That would make sense I suppose, especially when one considers infants who are incapable of caring for themselves. They don't know that they cannot care for themselves, at least not initially, I would imagine... but, eventually, when they get hungry or thirsty or something, they'd need someone to step in and care for them, and if no one is there, they die..." Ariel's voice trailed off for a moment before she added, "Surely such a thing would require a great deal of trust? Infants... small children even, have to depend on someone to look after them... it's like trusting your spouse not to cheat on you. But then again... if you've never been cheated on, why would you expect such a thing?" Ariel sighed, she really did have a rather round-about way of saying she agreed with something, now didn't she?

Ariel flicked Rafael's reigns again to get him to speed up just a little bit more. He was trailing behind Arabella again by a few paces, and Ariel was willing him to simply keep up with Bella's pace. "Anyway, how do you know when the animal is larger than the one we picked up on before? If it is something worth hunting if you cannot see it? Is there anything in particular that you look for? Or try to discern from their footsteps?"
Ariel

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Arabella Starweaver on February 4th, 2011, 5:00 am

Arabella was pleased that her friend wanted to be here, it was nice to be around someone other then her family or the other Drykas. There was so much to learn about other cultures and other things in the world, and her people only knew what they knew. "So, what's being a pycon like? What's your life consist of?" she was curious, she knew so little about Ariel's lifestyle and ways. What would it be like to only hunger once in a while, how much you could get done when you didn't require sustenance all the time. She would love that, and to be able to travel freely whenever you wished, how wonderful it would be to do something like that, how nice. Arabella longed to see more then what lay in her wake, she was tired of places she could navigate in her sleep, tired of being bored with her life. "I so wish I had your freedom Ariel, you have no idea how lucky you are, to just be able to do as you wish, not worrying how your actions might affect those around you, I have to think about my whole family, before I can do anything, even before I fall in love, or go for a hunt, even something as simple as this walk." it was true, and it hardly seemed fair to her. She sighed heavily.

She laughed at her insane way of explaining something, her mind was tricky, Ara thought some of the things she herself said were circled around, but she had nothing on Ariel. She nodded her head at the end of her little speech "Yes precisely, everything needs care at some point, but I don't think it recognizes who it needs the care from, it needs some assistance in that department, but that isn't they way of animals. They don't generally teach there young." at least Arabella could be thankful for that of her family, they did teach her many things, hunting, how to be strong and brave, but she taught herself many things as well.

"If the animal is large it should leave a trail in its wake, broken branches, grasses smushed down lower, this one is small enough that it doesn't hold to much weight on its feet. It might move things, but they can bounce back much quicker." poor little creatures, there was never really anywhere for them to hide, her people were great hunters and could find anything, anywhere. She was happy to leave this one alone, let it grow before it was attacked by another.
Arabella Starweaver
Player

Character sheet

Next