Solo Searching for Guidance

[Temple of Ionu] At a loss, Avela turns to Ionu for direction.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Searching for Guidance

Postby Avela on April 10th, 2018, 1:06 am

43rd of Spring, 518 AV

Avela had lived in Alvadas all of her life. She had been born in this city, and it was the only home she had ever known. So, given all of that, it was shameful how little time she had spent at the Temple of Ionu. Oh, she had gone at all of the usual times, with her family or with her stepmother occasionally, but it had always felt odd for her to go on her own. Despite living in Alvadas all of her life, it had never really occurred to her that she would be welcome. It was because of her heritage, the fact that her father told her that her mother had been marked by Avalis. Although Avela hadn't been particularly devout there either, a part of her had always felt that maybe Avalis deserved her attention.

But since Avela had been too uncertain to really pay Avalis that much respect either, she had ended up doing neither, existing in an odd limbo between both halves of her nature, never committing to one or the other.

That was, until today. Avela honestly didn't know where else she could turn at this point.

That was why she found herself at the Temple of Ionu, sitting at one of the benches around the raised platform, her hands clasped together in front of her as she tried to tune out the noise of the crowd of scholars that had crowded the entrance. She was looking out at one of the doors on the other side of the platform, trying to get herself into a prayerful mood, but it was hard. She wasn't even entirely sure what she should pray for, and she felt oddly out of place.

She did her best anyway, drawing in a deep breath.

Could she pray inside her mind? Would Ionu hear that?

She was probably better off using her mouth. Could she use Kontinese? No, she still wasn't good enough at that language to say what she needed to be said. She kept her words to a low murmur, though, not wanting anyone around her to hear.

"Um..." she began. "I know I haven't been around a lot, but..." Oh, this was ridiculous! Why was she acting like her stepmother had caught her coming back home after curfew? She pressed her lips tightly together and tried again. "...I need help. Please. They say the city is a part of you, that you know everything that happens inside of it. My...my little brother, Kairen...I don't know what's happening with him. I don't know what sort of trouble he's getting into. But you do."

As the words left her mouth, some of her hesitance faded, her speech becoming stronger. "Please, help me. Kairen...he's a pain, and sometimes he makes me want to tear out my hair, but he's family. If something happened to him, I don't know what I would do. I...I want to help him, but I don't know how. I don't know what I can do."

"Show me how to help him, please. A sign, an illusion, something? I need to help him."

"Show me how I can help."

The answer Avela was looking for probably wasn't a strong pinch to the arm, but that was what she got anyway.

Template by Sevaan
"Common" "Kontinese"
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Searching for Guidance

Postby Avela on April 13th, 2018, 5:07 am

Avela yelped at the feel of the pinch, sharp and painful on the skin of her arm. She whirled around to face the perpetrator, speaking without thinking. "What was that for?" she asked.

The balding man standing beside her did not even flinch at her tone of voice. Instead, he withdrew his hand, looking relieved. "Oh, good," he said. "You're real."

"I'm..." Avela rubbed at the spot where the man had pinched her. She recognized him now. Cadmus, Ionu's priest. She had been to the Temple infrequently enough to...forget about his preferred method of greeting. The more she thought about it, the more she realized that she really couldn't take offense. This was Alvadas, after all. She might not have been real. "I'm real. Of course I'm real."

But...did illusions not react when one pinched them? That was...a little interesting. Avela had never gone up to pinch an illusion before. On the list of things to try, she told herself. Later.

"Well then, Real," Cadmus said, cocking his head to the side. The smile on his face told her that he was just poking a little fun at her. "You look like you have something on your mind. Do you want to talk about it?"

Avela hesitated. Did she want to talk about it? It felt disloyal, telling someone else about her own family struggles, but then again, it wasn't like she was reporting Kairen's actions to a Speaker or something. Cadmus was Ionu's priest, if she could ask Ionu for help with her problems, surely she could talk to Cadmus as well.

"I'm...I just don't know what to do..." She'd been meaning to start by explaining something about Kairen, but those were the words that came to mind. At Cadmus's nod towards her, she went on. "My little brother...he's always been a troublemaker, but lately I think he might be getting himself into more trouble. And...and I don't know how to help him. I was hoping that...that Ionu could..."

"Point you in the right direction?" Cadmus asked. At Avela's nod, the priest continued on. His expression was thoughtful, his arms crossed over his middle. His fingers were hard at work, lightly pinching himself as he spoke, Avela wondered if that was a nervous tick. "Ionu is...a difficult figure. Ionu might help you. Or Ionu might cause you more mischief. Or both. Are you sure that's the sort of help you want?"

"I'll take any help I can get right now," Avela said, meaning it truthfully. "I'm honestly not sure anyone else can."

"I see," Cadmus said. "If you don't mind me asking you a question." He turned towards her. "Why do you have to do this? Why not your parents? Why can't you turn to anyone else for help?"

Avela hesitated before she answered. To be honest, she had been moving without thinking. The thought of going to anyone else hadn't crossed her mind, until that moment. It took her a minute to unpack just why. "Kai--my brother isn't a bad child. He has a good heart, I know he does. And I care about him. Other people might not, or they might not understand that. I don't want...I don't want people who only think about punishing him to get involved. I want to help him, before it gets that bad. He's my little brother. He's family. I need to help him."

"In that case," Cadmus said, his expression solemn. "Say your prayers. Keep your eyes open. And look for help from unexpected sources..."

Template by Sevaan
"Common" "Kontinese"
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes