A Step In The Right Direction [Layne Glance included]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Magnon Hamarbaen on February 5th, 2011, 3:39 am

Season of Winter, Day 46, 510 AV

To say that Magnon felt like a metaphorical fish out of water would be an understatement. He was also, albeit understandably, in absolutely no mood for it either. His father and mother dead; at who's hands, he hadn't even the slightest clue, his love and future bride at home awaiting his return with news of satisfaction with what he hoped was not to intense a worry, HIS FATHER AND MOTHER DEAD; AT WHO'S HANDS HE HADN'T EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CLUE. The thought burned within him like the raging fires of a forge, licking the edge of a battle hungry sword, fresh from the hands of a smith. The only clue that he had to go on was that mark, that infernal mark written upon the wall in what he could only assume was his parents' blood. It was a mark that he had never seen before in his life. This was a concept that had not come as a shock to him, as he was indeed an Isurian and therefore, as one might put it, "didn't get out much". The mark was of no Isurian group that he had ever seen, and so he needed to assume that it was the work of outsiders. Someone brazen enough to invade the walls of Sultros and murder his family of all people. But who? The who continued to stoke the fires of his heart as the buildings all around him shifted and changed.

"Good lord, I can see how this town could become infuriating after a while..." muttered Magnon quietly to himself as he strolled down the roads of Alvadas. The trek down through the mountains was nothing to him, he knew those mountains well enough. He even didn't mind the continuous rolling valleys and thickets that was the countryside of the land of Kalea. He was not ignorant, he knew of other continents, empires and races beyond that of his own. However, the warmth of the hearth, the love of the family and the embrace of Izurdin was all he needed. He could only pray that his Lord would steer him right; that he would see him just in this journey and usher him to those who had wronged him.

Still, it seemed, for all his problems, the hustle and bustle of the Bizarre continued around him, segregated from his problems and continuing along it's merry course in spite of his brooding, Magnon saw people of all shapes, sizes and races shouting and calling of their wares. He even spotted the occasional member of his own ilk, shouting and advertising their own wares of exotic seeming weapons and sturdy looking armors. He had no need of such things, with a hearth and some time he could create works of similar splendor, he was sure. Still, the hustle and bustle distracted him, and he did not wish to be distracted. He pulled his cloak about himself and continued to walk. Turning his head slightly at the sound of heels grinding against the cobblestone path that was the street, he almost invisibly turned his gaze behind him, only to see the crowd that followed, nothing more, nothing less. To follow someone in a crowded Bizarre was good tactics, but as the son of a soldier, Magnon had many things stricken into his head when he was young, and the first was knowing when he was being followed. Pulling the hood of his cloak onto his head, he turned at the nearest break in the kiosks and ducked into an alley. If he was to be confronted by his pursuer, he would dictate the time and place.

"If you have business with me, then spit it out, while you're still capable of spitting."
Magnon Hamarbaen
Player

Words: 3993
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 11:46 pm
Race: Isur

Postby Layne Glance on February 5th, 2011, 7:28 am

Alvadas was everything she had hoped, and much more. Layne had been sent on a pilgrimage, of sorts, under the advisement of her father. Go find some new, fascinating information. Vague, but...a mission was a mission. A small part of her suspected it was a ploy to get her out of his hair for awhile while he did some mystical, scholarly thing. Intense research had always made him a touch...what was the word she was looking for? Pissy. His assistants had been getting that look in their eyes. Fear, mixed with annoyance. She had dropped a book in the library one day, Fen (a skinny enchanter) screamed like a small girl. It's...probably good I left when I did, then. She was sent off with the first trading caravan to leave the city...it had been some time since then.

Perhaps I ought to write Father a letter...

The marketplace, while it had been remarkably difficult to find, was well worth the effort. (The woman in the town's center was almost no help at all. A pang of pity stabbed into Layne's ribs. She probably had the worst job in the world, trying to explain to travelers the shifting nature of the city...) Each sight could only be described with one word: Magic. Every merchant had something different to offer, and every item was magic. The merchants seemed equally, if not more so, mystical. (If a touch impatient with her tomfoolery. She had attempted to interview several Isurian merchants. They weren't having any of it.)

How the devil am I supposed to learn anything about the Isur this way? There were plenty of books about the different races across Mizahar. Before leaving she had even attempted to study the Isurian language. The results were mixed, to say the least. Almost nothing stuck, except a couple of swear words and how to ask for...something. She wasn't entirely sure what that something was, but she had tried it on an Isurian merchant (and an associate of the family) back home. Never before had she seen such discomfort on any man's face.

Blush whinnied indignantly. She did not seem particularly like Alvadas, but Layne was not having any luck finding any stables. At this point, she was merely hoping to find someone--anyone, who would answer at least a single question. Letting loose a sigh of frustration, Layne whipped the hood up on her cloak and ducked into a side alley. She slipped her book out of her pack, and began staring intently at the crowd. After a minuet she kneeled on the ground, and began to scrawl on one of the pages. After many decisive strokes of the pencil, she slammed the book shut. Someone had caught her eye. A particularly morose looking Isur, short and stout. ...as opposed to what? A tall and slim Isur? Grabbing Blush's reigns, she inched forward. He didn't look like a merchant, perhaps he would be more likely to talk!

The crowd was thick, and they did not seem to be all that intent on parting for a woman and a horse. However, fear of trampling did tend to get people to move aside. The Isur ducked down a back alley. She followed.

"Oh! Business? I wouldn't call it that! I do have plenty of questions, though!" Layne brushed off her hood, and then stuck out a hand to shake, "I drew a picture of you!" She opened her book, squinted at the pages past the lenses of her glasses and then quickly slammed it shut. "Shyke! This doesn’t look a thing like you! Ah! But…do you have the time to speak with me?”
Layne Glance
Player

Words: 5926
Joined roleplay: February 4th, 2011, 7:54 pm
Race: Human