A warm drink [Aello, Cassandra]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Aello on February 24th, 2011, 1:57 pm

"Well if you really want to," Aello said with a loud sigh. She didn't understand why Scheza was so adamant about dumping the body in the river. Of course everyone deserved some sort of burial, the more 'proper' the burial was, the better, but it wasn't as though Scheza had known the dead man in life. He had only just stumbled upon the dead man today, and if it weren't for Cassandra, he probably wouldn't have stumbled upon him at all, and Scheza would be none the wiser to what could happen within the twisted streets and back alleyways of Ravok.

"But only because it doesn't look like there is anything we can do to change your mind on this matter," Aello added. Her eyes remained on Scheza as she began to walk to the far end of the alley. She kept them on him until she had walked too far to simply look at him out of the corner of her eye. If she had continued staring, she'd have to turn her head. But she didn't want to alert Scheza to her staring, and thus didn't do so. When she reached the end of the alley, Aello bent at the waist, as though she were bowing. She stuck her head out, and turned it slowly from left to right, doing her best to determine whether or not the coast was clear. When she had determined that it was, she straightened herself up, and slowly walked back to where the corpse was.

"Looks all clear," Aello informed everyone. "You should have an easy enough time dumping the body," Aello added as a shiver shot up and down her spine. She knew she hadn't killed the old man, but the way she had said it made it seem like she had. Or at least, had had a part of it, and it unnerved her a bit. At this point, she just wanted to dispose of the body so that she could move on with her day. She was sick of loitering in the alley, and had a few things that she wanted to get done as soon as possible. Such as, get a new set of clothing, she was sick of the stares she was getting from people. Hadn't they ever seen someone who had been a little roughed up in the woods before? Seriously.

As Aello eyed the body and then Scheza again, she said, "do you need help carrying that, or are you ok on your own?" She raised her right brow quizically as she continued to size Scheza up. He still seemed a little shaky, and not all that strong to begin with. So perhaps it had been a good thing for her to offer. "After all," Aello added as she took one look down at her outfit before looking up at Scheza again, "my outfit is already ruined, and it's impossible to remove the blood from my hands." Again, Aello regretted having opened her mouth. The more and more she spoke, she thought, the more and more she made herself sound like the old man's killer.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cassandra Coven on February 26th, 2011, 8:56 am

"D-d-dump the body? In the...in the l-l-lake?" Cassandra echoed worriedly. She turned from the short, messy girl to the turbaned man and then back again, wringing her gloved hands into knots she listened to their exchange. The old man's body was not even weighed down. Wouldn't it float on the surface where any onlooker or boatman would spot it? But the two seemed to have decided on their course of action, each executing their roles without hesitation.

The dark-haired barmaid envied them their confidence and their seemingly unshakable belief that what they were doing was kindness for the dead man, while she herself, the cause of all the trouble, the beggar's killer, would not even get near the body. Cassandra shrank back as the other two moved to the opposite end of the alley, whose backdrop was a secluded area opened to the lake's waters.

"If you're sure about what you're doing..." she mumbled, though never finished. As soon as the two had their backs turned to her, Cassandra backed away into the shadows of an adjoining alley and then turned tail as soon as she was out of sight from the two, fleeing away from the scene of the crime - her crime - as fast as her two feet could carry her. She knew it looked like a sign of a guilty conscience (which was indeed the case) but realized that she could just pass it off as her desire not to get involved with the disposal of the body since it looked suspicious. The two strangers would understand, surely. In fact, she doubted they would even talk about it after they have done the deed, for would that not only raise suspicion upon them and might even implicate them to the murder if heard by the wrong ears? Innocent of the crime or not, it was something they both would not want to do, not in the city ruled by the Black Sun. And so, Cassandra knew, the secret of her dark deed would be safe.

Now she just had to deal with the guilt of killing another human being, and this one completely innocent.

Secret :
Cassandra has fled from the scene. You may find her in the Silver Sliver Tavern if your characters choose to go there after dumping the body. To relieve tense nerves with drink, perhaps?
there is something
i have to say to you
if you promise you'll understand
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Words: 205763
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2010, 8:21 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Scezha on March 1st, 2011, 6:10 am

There's a disagreement in the girl's voice as she looks at Scezha and the dead man on his hands. She seems so eager not to get the attention of the guards and the passers by around the alley, and cooperating in dumping the dead body surely doesn't help the idea. But she only disagrees that much. After a quick yell, she walks to the end of the alley, making sure that the road around was clear. It seems like it was, as she told Scezha to do what he wants to do as quickly as possible.

"Alright, thanks." Scezha doesn't waste a second. He quickly covers the man in his cloak, concealing him from anyone who witness Scezha's deeds. The road sure was clear, as far as Scezha could see, that is. But he didn't let over-carefulness slows him down. The dirty paved road for a few meters in front of him was the only thing that stands between him and the cold, deep, water canal. Scezha make a quick step, fast but making sure he's not too suspicious, and soon he found himself right at the side of the canal.

Knowing that throwing the body would make an unnecessary voice and attention, Scezha gently put the old man's head beneath the water, forcing him to swallow as many water as possible to drown himself to the bottom of the river. From there, he pushes the man's chest, lower torso, and finally his leg under the water. At the end of which Scezha whispers "May Yahal gave you a clear and safe road to follow, old man."

Having finished with what he's been doing, Sceha turns and walks slowly to the side of the alley before stopping at the side of the wall. Pretending not to know that there's a girl right next to him, Scezha rubs his hand as to counter the cold wind and uneasy feeling that's been hanging on his mind.

"I'm going to ease my mind a little bit." Scezha whispers. "You can join me, or we can part ways here. We just met anyway, and I understand if you don't want to remember our terrible first encounter."

Scezha breathes heavily, blowing warm air into his palm. He didn't know if the girl knows a good place to ease a burdened mind or not, but he knows a good tavern that will surely do the job.
"No living things in Mizahar are truly dead. They simply change from corporeal beings, into ethereal, then reincarnate as corporeal again"
- Deciphered from Scezha's Master's parchment.
Scezha
In search for master

Words: 27976
Joined roleplay: February 4th, 2011, 4:43 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Aello on March 1st, 2011, 3:54 pm

"Yeah we could do that," Aello commented, as the realization that she had just helped to dump a body into the lake hit her. Even though she hadn't killed the man, she felt like she had. In some way at least... she had... concealed the evidence after all. Her brain shuddered, since only moments before Scheza had gotten rid of it, she had thought Cassandra to be a total and complete wimp for running away. But the more and more she thought about it, the more and more she realized that was the only thing she wanted to do too. She realized that she wasn't so sure she was ok being a part of it.

"We could go to the Silver Silver," Aello muttered. She had never been much for drinking, especially because her weight was so low. It was simply too easy for her to become drunk, and to well... black out and not know what the heck had just happened. But even so, today she was certain that she may be in need of a rather strong alcoholic beverage or two. And boy did she hope Scheza was paying. Not like drinks were particularly expensive, it was simply that Aello was cheap. Or perhaps it was the fact that she was saving up to get a decent magic book, or perhaps... some new clothes would come in handy.

"It's the local bar, in case you didn't know. It has... well, alcohol, and a hot meal or two is offered every night," Aello commented. "Don't know if you're hungry too, or just in a need for alcohol..." Aello's voice trailed off. She had caught herself. She didn't want to seem weak. To mention the part about needing to drown everything out. How her head was screaming, you helped kill a man you asshole! And usually you're the one helping the ghosts with their unfinished business and moving on. What the petch got into you? What the petch are you doing?

Aello was sick of the screaming. The scolding, and wanted it to end as soon as possible. "Or were you in the mood for something else? Did I misunderstand you?" Aello asked as she took a few steps forward and out of the alley. She peered over her shoulder to see if Scheza would follow, or have second thoughts about being seen around the city in her company. She looked crazy, after all.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Cassandra Coven on March 2nd, 2011, 3:01 pm

Cassandra returned to the Silver Sliver, slipping silently into the kitchen through a backdoor, her heart hammering inside her chest. She had killed, not for the first time of course, but the guilt was always there. Her victim was defenseless too, and innocent, or at least he never did anything against her. And this time, she even used two strangers - manipulated them - to clean up her evil deed for her. Loose ends; perhaps she ought to take care of them too.

Loose ends? Loose ends?! she thought, horrified at herself for only thinking of the two samaritans as possible witnesses, ones who could implicate her as a suspect for the crime. How could she even do that? She sounded like a murderer, a serial killer! Disgusted with herself, the dark-haired barmaid buried her face in her hands, hot tears dampening her black gloves. What was she turning into?

But no, Cassandra told herself. She had to do it. It was either him or her, or if not him, then someone else eventually, for she needed to satisfy the condition of her cursed mark in order to live. It was necessary for her own survival! The beggar did not have anything to look forward to in life anymore, but she did! She was young, and beautiful, and was only beginning to make her own way out in the world, while he was...he was old! And decrepit! And poor, and homeless and... and... really, why would anyone want to continue to live like he did? He was a beggar; nobody cared about him! She did him a favor!

Didn't she?

...didn't she?

Desperately, Cassandra tried to find a better reason for the dark deed, one that did not sound so shallow or self-serving - or plain evil - in her ears. But she knew the truth. She took something precious, something that did not belong to her, something that she, or anyone else for that matter, had no right to take. And the more she tried to rationalize, the more she hated herself.

"Goddess, help me," she whispered in supplication. But at that moment, she wasn't sure if she was praying to Priskil, her chosen goddess, or Krysus herself, the goddess of murder, the giver of her cursed gift, the painfully obvious red veins on the back of her hands that forced her to wear gloves all the time lest people recognize the significance and implications of the strange marks. she often gave the excuse that her hands were disfigured, that she did not want to see them or show them to anyone, ever.

If they only knew.

Cassandra pulled off one of her gloves, the first time she's done so outside her room, and inspected her hand. The veins were a vibrant red now, unlike the dark, almost black shade they had been that morning. Bright, they almost look...cheerful, if veins could be called that... and having a healthy glow. And that was no pain or discomfort, no nothing.

She felt fine.

"Oh you're here, are you? I thought Mama said it's your day off?"

Cassandra nearly jumped with fright as she heard the voice of one of the other waitresses of the tavern speak from the door that lead to the main room. She hadn't even sensed the girl enter in her distraction. Hastily, she put her glove back on.

"N-no. I mean, yes, but I'm...I'm fine," she lied. "I woke up feeling better this morning, in fact."

"Well, good. Pull up an apron, we've a full house!"

Cassandra did so, glad to be able to do something to keep her mind off the disturbing thoughts running through her head. As she grabbed her very own apron and took a dry and empty serving tray, she wondered if she was truly lying in her response to the other girl.

I am fine.
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Scezha on March 4th, 2011, 3:29 pm

It's as if she reads his mind. He was thinking of the silver sliver. Not that anyone would think of a better tavern in Ravok, or anything. Especially someone with a heavy and burdened mind who wants to clear it up immediately. So, naturally, it's the first thing that would come into mind. Except, that person is not much of a drinker and would rater throw themself in the river to drown their problems away.

Scezha shook his head hard in disgust. That last thought was the worst thing he can think of after dumping a dead man's body in a river. "I'm glad you also have the Silver Sliver in mind." Scezha said in reply to the girl's words. "I do intend to go there, they have the best alcohol in town. That is, if you don't mind to go there with how you look right now."

Scezha meant her torn clothes, of course. Not that he have problem walking around with her looking like that, but maybe she wants a change of clothes first? Scezha's robe was already sitting at the bottom of the river along with the dead man and he has nothing else to offer to her. Even if it is the end of winter, Scezha feels like the winter breeze are still bone-freezing without his robe. And he's already used to desert winter. He won't blame her if she wants to cover her body up first.

"Well, it may not be the best place and time but if we're going the same way, it would be awkward not knowing your name. My name's Scezha of the sons of Benha. Just call me Scezha if you want." He walks a few steps. "I think we'd better go to the tavern soon. I know it's a popular one, and it's probably already filled with drunkard throwing their beer around. It's much warmer than the street too." He said. With his last word, obviously, meant to how she probably fights the cold breeze right now.
"No living things in Mizahar are truly dead. They simply change from corporeal beings, into ethereal, then reincarnate as corporeal again"
Scezha
In search for master

Character sheet

Postby Aello on March 4th, 2011, 7:55 pm

"Aello," she replied as she turned left and continued down the street. The wind was dying down, and only seemed to possess enough strength to rustle her hair a bit. "Not much in the mood for shopping at the moment, but if it truly bothers you, you could always hand me an extra garment. You do have something other than what you are wearing, don't you?" Aello paused for a moment. She stopped dead in her tracks and stared at Scheza. "Ohh you don't say..." Aello's voice trailed off, it seemed as distant as she, if not more so.

Aello was biting her bottom lip, and re-adjusting her bag's straps. "You wasted a perfectly good cloak on the dead guy, didn't you?" Aello asked, as she looked away and continued down the street. "He's not going to be needing it down there you know. He can't feel anything anymore. Well, not hot or cold anyway..."

"Quite the pity really, it wasn't a bad cloak either." Aello commented as she continued to walk. Now that she was out of the alley, her mood seemed to be picking up. "Wasn't it made of wool?" Aello asked, before adding, "it would have kept you warm." She knew that Scheza wasn't from around here, and although it wasn't too cold, he probably found it that way. He seemed to be shivering well enough anyway. Or perhaps it was merely his fear that made him tremble.

Aello was silent for the next few minutes. She wasn't much in the mood to talk, as much as she was in the mood for a quick drink, and perhaps a bite to eat before she headed on her merry way. "Anyway, here we are," Aello said when they had reached the front of the tavern. She extended her right hand towards the knob, and twisted it counterclockwise. When the lock clicked, she pulled the door back and walked inside. She had only held the door for a second or two, just enough time for Scheza to slip inside if he wanted to. If he was still following her anyway. He could have chickened out, or thought better of her company.

When Aello had slipped inside, she noticed all the usual things- wooden tables and chairs, and your usual drunks and barmaids. Most of the tables were clean, but a few still had speckles of ale here and there. The bar was noisy as always, and pretty packed, but even so, Aello spotted an empty table in the middle of the tavern. She headed for it, and reached it within a few long strides. She set her belongings on the table, and pulled the wooden seat back, before getting herself situated.

"Bring on the ale," she whispered to no one in particular.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Cassandra Coven on March 5th, 2011, 4:07 am

New customers coming in, Cassandra thought tiredly, moving to meet the latest arrivals at their table. Her eyes widened as she recognized them to be the two strangers who had helped her dispose of the beggar's body - if they even disposed of it. She hadn't stuck around to find out. Backing away before they caught side of her, the dark-haired barmaid made her way to the bar and drafted two mugs of the house's special, the Silver Sliver, before returning to duo's table, deftly sliding the drinks in front of them.

"Welcome friends, I hope the day finds you well!" she greeted, a tad too loudly in her opinion, but only the patrons of the surrounding tables would hear her anyway with the background buzz of conversation in the tavern. Leaning forward and catching the eyes of the foreigner and the short woman, she said in a softer tone, "I...I'm sorry for leaving you two. The sight of blood scared me. Please, accept the drinks as a gesture of thanks. For...for your, um, help."

She leaned back again, a warm smile on her lips, the facade of the ever eager barmaid willing to serve back in place on her face. "If there's anything else you would like to order, please tell me."

Ledger :
Expense: 2gm for 2 Silver Slivers
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Scezha on March 5th, 2011, 7:45 am

"Aello." Scezha repeat in a small whisper. So that was her name. Not a common name in Yahebah, but it was an easy one to remember. Aello then say something about the cloak Scezha uses to cover the old man's body. She was right. It was a good cloak and it kept him warm, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't spare some to pay respect for the dead. The dead have to be respected, that's what his master once said. Though, he never make it clear whether it's for a dead spirit or a dead body.

Aello walk pretty fast in front of him, must be because of her long legs, exposed between strings of cloath once called skirt. She is shorter than Scezha, but her strides longer. And it seems like she can bare with the cold wind just fine. Whether it's really fine, or just acting strong after seeing what she saw, Scezha couldn't tell. He just follow close behind her, listening while she keep complaining about his cloak and how it would keep either of them warm.

"True, that old man won't need the cloak where he's resting," Scezha said. "but that doesn't keep me from paying my respect. My master once said, the dead have to be respected. After all, I can get a new cloak easily." Somehow, Scezha had a feeling that she could easily fight his word back. Especially his last one. She has shown that she is not a cute, spoiled, girl who would turn tail and run at the sight of blood. Even her appearances right now supports the idea. Countering Scezha's thoughts won't be too difficult for her.

But she didn't do that. The two kept walking along the streets, passing the curious eyes of passers by. Their image keep being reflected on the river beside them, as if reminding him of what he just did. Aello didn't say a word either, perhaps the that incident was also a heavy burden on her mind. Scezha tried not to ask her anything. A girl's mind could be the most dangerous thing for a guy, if they treated it in a wrong way.

"Anyway, here we are,"

Scezha looks up, and recognize the sign that belongs to the silver sliver. Aello qickly walks inside, opening the door just enough for him to follow shortly after. She doesn't even say a word as the two walk in. Truely, not the kind of woman he would met within one of Benshiras caravan. And for some strange reasons, it make Aello somewhat look interesting in his eyes. Curiously interesting. A type of woman he never met before.

The tavern look just like what he had imagined, filled with men and women with brawn on their byceps. They drink, and shout, and cheers. Seems like each of them was trying their best to make this taver look more like a... tavern. Aello doens't seem to be bothered with the scenery. She just walks into the empty table in the middle of the room. Scezha follows not too far behind.

"Ale for me too." Scezha doesn't have any other alcohol in mind. Anything that could get him drunk and forgot whatever he did a few minutes ago would be a good drink. Scezha doesn't know whether the barmaid heard them or not. They kept walking and smiling between their demanding patrons. Making a big effort just to breathe. But one particular barmaid caught Scezha's eyes.

That girl... with black hair... she couldn't be the girl in the alleyway with them earlier, could she? If she was, that would explain why she was so terrified at the sight of blood and dead man. That was not a good sight for a common barmaid. It seems like she recognizes him too. She approaces Scezha and Aello, not refusing to serve them.

And it was her. Not as pale as before, but Scezha couldn't have been mistaken. As she stands in front of him and Aello, she whispers some words and put down two glass of ale. The Silver Sliver. As a gesture of thanks to help her get rid of the body, Scezha guess. It was not a good sight and probably she was afraid of getting found by the ebonstryfe. Just a second after that, a warm barmaid-like smile decorates her face.

"It's alright. It's not like there's anything else we could do, anyway." Scezha said. "Right now, i just want to get drunk. Maybe I'll have more ale later." Scezha then take a big gulp from his glass. Drowning every thought in his mind to the alcohol. But one last thought enters before it was swept away. Could the word thanks in her words just now have a different meaning that he originally thought?
Scezha
In search for master

Character sheet

Postby Aello on March 5th, 2011, 3:42 pm

"Thanks for the drink," Aello muttered as she extended her right hand towards the handle on her glass of silver ale and pulled the drink closer to her. She hadn't tried the silver ale before. She had always been told that it was good, and unlike a lot of the other ales the patrons had drunk before, but even so, she felt strangely wary of it now. The ale was silver, the color of blades, the sparkling stars in the night sky. Things that could easily signify the end. Things that could easily put one to sleep, whether directly or indirectly. When the stars are out, one sleeps. When a blade crosses one's neck, or even something as delicate as the veins that span from elbow to wrist, it is unlikely that they'd ever wake up again. Aello wondered if the ale had been colored that way purposely. Was it in any way significant? Symbolic of how it would lull her into a place in-between sleep and wakefulness, drown everything out, wash everything away, and make her forget? Make her sleep?

Maybe she was over-analyzing it, and should simply take a sip. A single sip could not hurt. No matter how strong the ale was, it couldn't give her more than a buzz, a rush of blood behind her temples. It couldn't do more than quiet the voices in her head, the voices that surrounded her, right? Aello thought as she lifted the glass to her lips, and took a small sip. She lowered her glass as she swished the cool ale around her mouth and then swallowed. The ale burned on the way down, and left a lingering hint of some sort of unidentifiable spice on her tongue.

Aello's body was starting to grow warm. Her cheeks felt flushed, and she imagined that they were growing pink around the edges. Must be the ale, Aello's brain whispered as she took another sip and the feelings she had been experiencing only magnified themselves. Everything was growing quieter, but so slowly, it was easily missed. "Forgot you worked here," Aello commented as she took another sip. She vaguely remembered the barmaid from the brawl several moons ago. It seemed so very, very far away now, as though it had not happened at all, and was merely a dream or a figment of Aello's over-active imagination. "How long has it been anyway?" Aello asked, although it remained unclear precisely what she was inquiring about. One's best guess would be was that it was either about how long Cassandra had been working at the tavern, or how long it had been since she had last seen Cassandra before their encounter that day, or perhaps, how long since the bar fight. Aello did wonder if the woman had recognized her as she had after coming to the bar, or if she remained none the wiser.

Aello took another few sips of her ale, and found only three quarters of the glass still full. She felt a buzz, although she was still largely with it. "Ale is the only thing we should require for now anyway, but, I could be mistaken." Aello looked across the table. "Did you need a refill Scheza? Or perhaps something to go with that? Always heard it said that it was best to drink with something already in your stomach."
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext