[Flashback] Sibling Rivalry

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Raiyari on February 11th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Sibing Rivalry
~Spring 80, 508 A.V.~

Raiyari and Izumi hurried along the street; the former weaving quickly through the people, while the latter was completely devoted to keeping a small basket right-side-up as she negotiated the crowd. Rain poured down on the two girls, but only one seemed to mind.

Izumi was the closest thing to a 'friend' that Raiyari had. The younger girl was annoying at times, but seemed to genuinely care for Rai, despite the many glares and cold looks she'd acumulated over the years.

Now Izumi skipped lightly down the path, whistling a merry tune. The girls had been given the afternoon off, a rare treat. Izumi had wasted almost no time, convincing Rai to spend the afternoon relaxing at a little spot on Sharai peak. How exactly the younger girl seemed to know every inch of that peak, Rai had no idea. But, after being pestered long enough, and bribed with the promise of some Yatani, Raiyari had finally concented to go. Now, they were caught outside in the rain. Naturally, Rai had wanted to go back, but Izumi would have none of it. Rai'd promised, so she had to follow through.

The duo made their way towards the peak, Izumi greeting drenched civilians with a friendly grin, and Rai giving them a respectful nod. When they had at last reached Sharai, Izumi promptly led Raiyari southwards, following an unseen path. Passing that pasture and this garden, stopping for a moment to squeal and wave at this or that Okomo, Izumi seemed thuroughly lost.

But just as Rai was about to voice her concerns, they came to a stop. An old gnarled tree sprouted out of the rocky ground, taking purchase in the cracks of the mountain. It provided shelter from the rain, and the two soaked girls hurried towards it. In the sunshine, it would have been the perfect picnic spot, if someone hadn't already claimed it.

A sillhouete had seated itself among the roots of the tree, looking quite comfortable. It seemed definetely male, as far as Raiyari could tell. She was about ready to turn around and head somwhere else, but Izumi had other ideas. This was her spot, and she wasn't about to let someone else take it.

"Hey!" called out Izumi, waving her hands in the air. "D'you mind if we share the shelter?"

The figure turned, taking a step out of the shadows. At this, Raiyari narrowed her eyes, grabbing her friend by the arm with one hand, the other reaching for her bokuto. But the practice blade wasn't there. She'd grown so used to its presense, that the fact that it wasn't there gave her a brief moment of surprise.

Standing at a diagonal angle, a bit in front of Izumi, but still enough to her left to be able to grab the younger girl's arm, Rai watched the figures movements with a fierce gaze. She knew them by now, they were as recognisable as her own.

A laugh erupted from the young man as he came closer. His features were very similar to Rai's. And that was no mystery, since they both shared the same parents.
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Words: 48701
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2011, 10:49 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 12th, 2011, 7:12 am

"Get behind me, Izu," murmered Raiyari, her eyes never leaving her brother. Ever since their mother had died and their father had turned to alchohol to numb the pain, her brother had become an entirely different person. To be fair, so had she, but not in the way her brother had.

He'd abandoned his dreams of becoming a Shinya, ones that Rai still fostered. Yukio was vastly different that the brother she'd grown up with, the one who'd pick her up when she cried, the brother who'd gathered bits and bobs to make her a doll. But he'd changed four years ago, and Rai thanked Zintila that she'd seen little of him since. Now it seemed, that time was at an end.

"Hello, little sister," grinned Yukio jovially, malice glinting in his dark eyes. He hated Zintila, and the Shinya who served her, with a passion. Her brother had long thought that the Goddess could have helped his mother, though chose not to. The fact that his own sister, his own flesh and blood, served the Goddess? It was unthinkable.

"Yukio, it's been a while." Nodded Rai in acknowledgement, donning her polite mental armor. "It's nice to see you again. If you'll excuse us, we've got to get back to training."

Years of beatings at her father's and brother's hands had taught her much. She was not going to believe that he'd gone under some miraculous change. It was best to leave, before he got any ideas.

Izumi hadn't moved, smiling and waving at Rai's brother. Raiyari had never told anyone what her family was like. Now it seemed that withholding that information had been a big mistake. Izumi obviously thought that her brother seemed friendly enough, much more friendly than Rai was. A mistake.

Yukio smiled at Izumi, something flickering in his eyes. It only lingered a second, not leaving enough time for Rai to identify it, though she could guess.

"Back to training so soon, sister? But you've only just arrived! Come and sit, if you haven't noticed, it's pouring! Forget about your duties and dour teachers for a moment."

Izumi looked about ready to agree, and to side with Yukio on this. But Rai knew her friend had no idea of the kind of person he was. The kind who spent his days cursing their Goddess' name, who used women for pleasure, who beat his own sister.

"We're going," repeated the Acolyte firmly, tightening her grip on Izumi's arm until the younger girl squeaked in pain. If dragging that petching girl was the only way to get her out of here, then Rai would gladly do it. She turned sharply, and walked straight back into the rain, pulling a protesting Izumi along behind her.

"Suit yourself," shrugged Yukio. "Go and play with your make-believe sword, sister. Go and be one of them. Don't worry about including me in your prayers tonight, I'm sure your high and mighty Goddess doesn't listen anyways. Go and play at being a warrior, forsake what honor you have, just like the rest of the filthy Shinya."
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 12th, 2011, 7:28 am

"What did you say?" growled Raiyari, letting go of Izumi's arm and turning to face her brother. She might be polite, but it was a facade, one that only Yukio could have broken through so easily. Rai might know when to pick a fight, and when not to, but this was different. He'd insulted the Star Lady herself, as well as the brave warriors who followed her! She might have been taught to assess a situation first, but to hell with that! Rai wasn't going to just stand here and listen to him commit sacrilege.

His response was a simple and smug smile. Anger smoldered within her, and that smile simply fanned it, turning it into a blaze. The only thought that occurred to her was that she wanted to wipe that expression off his face, brother or no.

The Acolyte walked forwards, her fists clenched at her sides. Izumi would not interfere, even she was not so dense as to come between family matters. What a picture they made, a still tableau of emotions. One: shock, another: anger, and the last: victory. He'd succeeded in making his little sister angry, much too angry for her own good.

He met her halfway, and the two siblings glared at each other; Rai scowling up at him, and Yukio peering down at her with a dark look. For minutes they simply stood like that, neither moving, assessing each other.

Then a loud crack rippled through the air, surprising Izumi. The young Acolyte covered her face in her hands, not wanting to see what happened, yet wanting to make sure that Rai was alright. Slowly, she lifted her hand from her eyes, looking at the scene before her in shock.
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 12th, 2011, 10:12 am

Yukio staggered a few steps back, surprised at the force behind his sister's slap. Of course, she has been training with them, he thought, his glare darkening. Little Rai wasn't so little anymore, she'd learned some tricks. But, they weren't enough, they couldn't be.

Rai simply stood stock still, frozen in the same position as she had been when she slapped him. That was the first time she'd actually hit him, the first time she'd been able to do it. She was only allowed a brief moment of shock, of exhultation, before her infuriated brother retaliated. He was taller, heavier, stronger, and more experienced than her. What hope did she have against him?

She knew the answer: none.

Testing her, Yukio swung his fist, a bit slower than normal, aiming for her head. Rai's training kicked in, and she ducked, playing into his trap. In a split second, his knee came up, catching her in the stomach as she moved to avoid his strike.

The world spun as she dropped to her knees, wheezing, the air knocked out of her. Mercifully, no other strikes came. She looked up at her brother, who simply smiled, and began to turn away.

No, I'm stronger than this, I will not surrender, Rai thought, a spark of defiance lighting within her; She wasn't spent yet. Rai dragged herself up, setting her feet apart and bending her knees. Yukio looked at her for a moment in surprise, not having expected his little sister to posess this kind of determination.

Again, he swung his fist, seeing if he could trick her once more. But she learned quickly, and blocked it with her arm, taking a step forwards, intending to strike. Yukio saw this, and reacted, unleashing a swift kick towards her midsection. Rai took it, stumbling back a few paces. Her brother kept distance, moving forward as she reeled backwards. In a flash, his fist caught the off-balance Acolyte on her jaw, dazing her. Yet somehow, she managed to keep her feet.

Not for long, Yukio thought, smiling savagely, enjoying every moment of this. You made a mistake, little Rai, when you stayed with them. With her killers. I hate them all, I hate you all. Her brother stepped forwards, coming at her from the side, feinting another punch while positioning one of his legs behind her. She wobbled back, and he hooked his leg around, taking her feet from under her.
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 12th, 2011, 10:31 am

With a loud thump, Raiyari landed in the mud, and the liquified dirt splattered all over her. Shivering, bruised, soaked to the bone, and aching, the Acolyte asked herself why she was doing this. Was Yukio right, was the Lady of the Stars really at fault?

No... that was wrong, these were blasphemous thoughts. The Lady was no more at fault than Rai was, and neither were the Shinya. Rai pushed thoughts of her ailing mother away, driving memories of the sickroom to the back of her mind. As Dama Chiyeko had said, you must live life with your every breath, and not waste a second of it. She'd repeated that on her deathbed, the words on her lips as her heart finally ground to a halt. Her mother had not feared her death, she'd blamed no one for it. If that were true, why should Rai?

The tenets of her faith had been drilled into her long ago. To uphold the faith of Zintila, was to be Shinya. It was to have honor, to live for the people Lhavit. Yukio had been turned away from the path of light, but Rai would not be blinded by grief. She hoped her mother might have been proud.

Raiyari felt a pressure on her throat, and struggled for breath. Her oxygen supply was being cut off! Painfully, the girl opened her eyes, and saw that she had a boot planted on her neck. Yukio's boot.

"Give up, little sister. I wouldn't want to hurt you." Yukio spoke calmly, almost gently, but she could detect the barest hint of disdain in his voice. "Admit it, Acolyte. You know the Shinya have no honor... She was your mother too. I know you won't go against your precious Goddess, and I don't want to kill you, sister. So I'll give you an easier choice. Admit it, or be sorry."

Raiyari was feeling lightheaded, and she gasped for breath like a fish out of water. Was it to be like this then? To only fully realize her faith, and to be killed for it. By her own brother, no less. The irony of having the brother she'd looked up to, and who she'd joined the Shinya for, force her to admit this, stung worse than the various strikes she had received.

But the sixteen year old didn't want to die. Like any other girl, she wanted to live. And fear is a powerful enemy. "I... admit... it," she croaked, hating herself for the words. Coward, craven, she called herself, all the while struggling to draw breath.

"What do you admit, dearest sister?" asked Yukio, grinning like a madman.

"No... honor..." Rai wheezed, seeing darkness on the edges of her vision. Star Lady, I beg your forgiveness. I don't want to die.
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 12th, 2011, 11:04 am

"What happened to you?" demanded a Dama, looking at the muddied girls. Rai was leaning heavily on Izumi, who was still pale with fright after what she had witnessed. Izumi's own family was gentle and caring, and the thought of their hate scared her beyond comprehension. That her friend had been beaten to a pulp by her own brother, was possibly the most horrifying thing that Izumi had ever witnessed.

Raiyari on the other hand, was no stranger to these 'horrifying' events. But the last thing she wanted to do was contemplate her own failiure, she just wanted to go to sleep.

Though Dama was making that a bit difficult.

Izumi looked to Rai in panic, not knowing what to say. Rai had made her promise not to tell anyone of what had transpired, but they hadn't constructed an alibi on their way back.

"I tripped," reported Rai, managing to look embarassed. "Izumi tried to help me up, and we both fell down again." Raiyari didn't like alibis, they were hard to make up, and even then seemed to make very little sense.

"And the ground hit you?" asked the Dama, her piercing eyes not missing Raiyari's painful and slow gait.

"I fell, Dama. I may have fallen a rock or two, I don't know what's burried under all that mud."

"Very well, go and clean yourself. I won't have you two late for prayers," The Dama sighed and shook her head at the girls. Children these days, they have no concern for safety.

"Yes Dama," Izumi and Rai said in unison, hurrying off before the Shinya could think to question them more closely.

[END]
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Ophelia on February 14th, 2011, 5:36 am

Thread Award. ‎‎<3

EXPERIENCE.
‎+3 Unarmed Combat

LORES.
Not quite a friend
Wary of your brother
Beatings at the hand of family
Defending the Star Lady
I will not surrender
Suffocated by your brother
Being forced into false admissions
I tripped …‎

ADDITIONAL NOTES.
Emotive work. I gave you unarmed combat instead of brawling, as the way in which you described Rai's fighting skills seemed to be much more organised than brawling would warrant.

Don't hesitate to pm me with questions, queries, or anything else!

Love,‎
Ophelia <3
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Words: 97802
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 12:40 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook