Vino Aquiras

A new me.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies the realm of dreams, where dreamers who are scattered all over the world in the physical can come together in the mysterious world of dreams. Remember, unless one is a Dreamwalker, there is no control over dreams. Ever. Anything can happen, and by threading a dream, you are subject to whomever can walk dreams and the whims of Storytellers.

Vino Aquiras

Postby Lani Stranger on April 29th, 2019, 8:21 pm

64th of Fall, 511AV

The sun was beginning to peel her way over the horizon, casting soft pink light onto the clouds which filtered through the canopy of her bed. For a few ticks as Leavou woke up, she did not recall where she was. She thought she was still on the Talderan trail, facing the falling leaves with fear and uncertainty. If Winter came before they found the Spires, they would surely be dead. The wind was already growing chilly, and the wilderness guide was growing nervous. If the Jamoura was nervous, they all had something to fear. And yet, as she woke, she already felt the soft furs over her skin, and found herself cuddling further into the musky scent, enjoying the sleep even with the rising sun demanding her consciousness to return to her.

”Little girl…” The long and deep female voice was sounding in her ear, and Leavou turned over. It was not her mother’s shrill Konti voice, but rather a unrecognizable Jamoura tone. Still, even knowing it was not her mother who called on her, Leavou turned expecting to see the high cheekbones and crazed expression of her Konti mother. Instead it was the wrinkled and wise face of one of Quett’s wives. Her newborn child clung to her chest, and her large Jamoura palm was resting on Leavou’s pillow, preparing to rouse her.

And then it all came crashing down. Her mother was dead.

Well, Leavou did not actually know. All Leavou knew is that she had willingly left her mother. She had helped the caravan trick her into sleep and leave her on the trail with supplies. The madness was finally too much, and Quett said the Spires would not allow them into the city with an overgiving mage in their party. It was the hardest decision Leavou had ever made, and at the fresh age of fifteen, she wasn’t equipped to deal with the guilt of such a decision. Without warning, Leavou found her vision blurring as her eyes teared up, and she could not stop her face from contorting in emotional pain.

”Oh, dear.” The Jamoura sighed, and her massive leathery hand moved to find its way into Leavou’s sillky black hair, petting and soothing her as best she can. ”I know, you’ve been through a lot. But you need to go talk with Quett. We need to find you a place to stay.” The words were deep and slow, giving Leavou ample time to listen and react. The touch which was meant to be soothing was irritating, simply because it tempted her to releasing her emotions and crying more in the comfort of this foreign mother figure.

”Do I have to?”

”Yes, today, most likely.” The Jamoura mother cooed, still gently petting Leavou’s hair. The half-blood squeezed her eyes to try and stop the tears over her own lost mother, and sniffled to keep the snot from running further out of her nose. She reached up to remove the massive primate hand from her head, and nodded.

”Okay.” Leavou agreed. She understood that this was an awkward situation for everyone. She was the strange daughter of an overgiven mage that belong to no race. She had no reason to be in The Spires without her mother, and barely had any way of making a living for herself. At fifteen she was too old to be an orphan, and should be well into her education in her trade skill, but she wasn’t. She had spent over a year following her mother’s madness around Kalea and Taldera in search of a cure, and had not progressed herself. She was useless. She was dead weight. And Quett or his family had no obligation to help her in any way, and yet he was. He had offered her a place to lay her head after the banishing of her mother, and now he was likely going to tell her she had to find her own way. She had to at least be strong in the face of whatever her future was about to look like.

”He is in his office, clean yourself and join him. He would like to talk to you.” She advised, taking her hand back and pressing it on her Jamoura child’s head caringly. The motion was tender and subconscious, and it only served to make Leavou sick. The last time she had received a loving touch from her mother was when she tried to braid her hair on the way to Denval, and was overcome with a rage fit which had yanked out many of Leavou’s long black locks. She was jealous of this newborn Jamoura child.

”M’kay,” She muttered, turning away from the polite mother and diving back into her furs, not wanting to leave what would possibly be the last comforts she would have.
Last edited by Lani Stranger on May 1st, 2019, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Vino Aquiras

Postby Lani Stranger on April 29th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Suddenly, Leavou found herself in the office of Quett. The family lived in the Climbing Snake Petal, and so had a large tree house for the wilderness guide and his two wives, and their three children. Luckily Leavou was not nearly as large as the Jamoura and they allowed her to sleep in the tea room on a makeshift bed when she arrived. Still, Quett was well off, and it showed in his office furniture. She was told he would be in here, but did not see him, so Leavou entertained herself with inspecting the intricate furnishing of the desk. It was low to the ground, and instead of a chair, the limber primate had a large pillow to sit on, but he was not there. In the wood was small vines carved into the rich redwood of the Talderan forest where the Spires was found. She didn’t want to touch anything in fear she would disrupt it, but instead she fingered the vine indents in the woods, feeling their smooth shapes while she sat cross-legged in front of his desk and waited.

”Leavou,” Quett’s deep Jamoura voice suddenly filled the room, and Leavou hopped to turn and see the ape emerging from one of the open balconies of the room, hundreds of feet above the ground. Large muscled arms lowered him into the room and his hand-like feet settled on the ground. Like the ape for which Jamoura were taken from he leaned forward, walking towards her with all four limbs, an extraordinary weight seemingly limber as he moved, slowly, to sit at his desk.

”Hello, Quett.” She answered meekly, steeling her fingers away from his desk and folding them on her lap.

”You’re name is very interesting, but it is difficult for my kind to say.” He observed, completely neutral. The elephant in the room still hung, that Leavou was now orphaned, of an unknown race, and useless in a city she knew nothing about, among people she had trouble communicating with and who were much wiser than her own kind every would be. Yet, Quett did not acknowledge this.

”It is Kontinese.” She replied softly, slumping her shoulders and focusing on the little black speckles on her finger tips. She felt like she had to be ultra respectful in Quett’s presence. The wise Jamoura seemed to air authority, and something about it made Leavou want to cry. In an effort to stave off the crying, she flipped her eyelids closed, giving both pairs a chance to hold off any more tears for the morning.

”Yes, it is. Leavou, Daughter of R’yse. And yet, you are of Chaktawe blood… Chaktawe and something else.” He mused, and Leavou’s head snapped up.

”What?”

”Did you not know?”

”Know what I am? No.” She answered, a soft excitement in her voice at the mention of this Chaktawe. What was a Chaktawe? Where did they come from? Did they give her her alien eyes or her golden skin? The annoyingly padded feet or the absurd height?

”Yes, you are Chaktawe, dear. The only race in all of Mizahar that can lay claim to eyes like yours. Your skin, however… I am not sure.” He spoke, the absurdly long vocals of the Jamoura dragged the sentence out nearly a whole chime, and Leavou twiddled her fingers impatiently. She was waiting for him to finish speaking so that she could talk without interrupting him.

”So my eyes are Chaktawe? Where do they come from? Why was I found by an Akalak? Who were my parents? What other race am I? I never met anyone with eyes or skin like me...” She jabbered, and Quett just watched her. He was not answering her, and she found her words trailing off. About ten ticks after she stopped talking and silence filled the space between them, Quett began to answer.

”Yes, your eyes, that is how I knew. The Chaktawe are from Eyktol, but they are nomadic and do not stay in one place. I cannot know why you were found by an Akalak, or who your parents were. I can guess at possible mixes that would create a person such as you, but I have never met anyone like you either. I must talk with you about what you should do with yourself here, Leavou Daughter of R’yse.” Leavou listened to his slow words, answering her questions completely. It took much longer than any normal person speaking, and while she still twiddled her thumbs she was entranced by his words. Until he spoke her name, when she grimaced.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Vino Aquiras

Postby Lani Stranger on April 29th, 2019, 8:23 pm

”I don’t want to be called that.” She said, feeling a rotting emotion in her chest at the name. It was too associated with her mother, and the pain R’yse had caused.

”Okay, Let’s start there. What would you like to be called then?” He asked, patiently.

”I don’t know, but not that.” She answered meekly, a little ashamed of the weak part of her that wanted to completely get rid of all trace of her mother. Perhaps if she did, then it would be as if R’yse had never existed? As if the mad Konti had not done terrible things to Leavou, and as if Leavou had not done terrible things in return?

”Would you like another Kontinese name?”

”No.”

”Would you like a Chaktawe name?”

”I don’t know anything about them. What do they name their children?”

”I once knew an Shishja The Strange and her son, Atlyaapar.” Quett spoke, and Lani leaned forward onto his desk.

”Why was she called strange?” Lani asked, curious about the strange, foreing-sounding names of the Chaktawe. Her people… sort of.

”She was a travelled woman. I came across her in Alvadas, and she was an avid follower of Ionu—“

”I used to live in Alvadas.” Lani shared, a bit of wistfulness in her voice for memory of leaving her childhood friend behind.

”A very interesting place, very strange to those who do not know it. She frequented Alvadas enough that her people named her Strange, because… she was.” The Jamoura smiled to himself, a knowing glint in his eye while he talked, but continued without pause. ”I found her to be a very entertaining woman, and look forward to meeting little Atlyaapar’s grandchildren soon.” He said, speaking fondly of the memory, and it dawned on her that this Shishja the Strange, would be long dead. Leavou gauwked for a tick as she tried to do the math in her head, assuming Chaktawe only lived as long as humans.

”Yes, I am very old, in your terms.” Quett answered her unspoke thought, seeing the math in her head. ”But, you must tell me, do you wish to have a Chaktawe name? They have very specific rules, and I fear you will not meet their requirements.” He informed her, and Lani let her curiosity of his age drop in favor of returning to the point of the conversation.

”No, I don’t know anything about the Chaktawe, it doesn’t feel right.” She said.

”And you do not want another Konti name. Would you like a human name?”

”I’m not human though, I think?” She countered.

”I know, but you will live most of your life in human society, would you not like to be named like one?”

”Maybeee… Can I have a Jamoura name?”

”You are not Jamoura.” He said, impassive and neutral on the request.

”But I do live among you all now. Should my name not be easy for your people to pronounce?” She countered again, taking on the wise tone of Quett as best as she could. He caught on to her attempt to mimic him and smiled.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Vino Aquiras

Postby Lani Stranger on April 29th, 2019, 8:24 pm

”I suppose that is reasonable. But will you spend the rest of your life here in the Spires?” He asked, and Lani hesitated. She knew very little of the Jamoura, and while she liked Quett and his family, she didn’t want to live her life here. At least among the humans she could try to blend in. There was no way she could look like a Jamoura, no way she would live as long as them or speak their language. She would never fit in.

”Maybe…” She answered, avoiding an outright denial. But Quett seemed to understand, but did not seem angry about her denial of living in his culture.

”We shall give you a human name.” He said with finality, and Lani didn’t argue with him. She hesitated a few ticks and then nodded, deciding it was a better idea than trying to push for a culture that was not her own.”[/b]

”You will need a last name. Humans have those to differentiate one another, since they have so many first names that are similar.” He explained, and the thought made her feel odd. She never really had surnames, like Craven, she was Daughter of R’yse, that was it. Except… now she wasn’t. She was shedding the Konti culture and her mother’s name. She was no one, at the moment. No one, until she picked a name for herself.

”Stranger.” The nameless girl said suddenly, and the giant Jamoura slowly raised an eyebrow.

”Why?”

”Because, I move so much. I am a stranger, to… everyone. Everywhere I go I am someone knew. Is that not how they can tell me apart from other humans?” She asked, using his reasoning. It was inspired by the tale of Shishja the Strange, but it was also her own reasoning. It just felt right.

”A lonely name.” Quett observed, and she frowned at the doubt he expressed.

”Why is it lonely?”

”To name yourself as a stranger? It severs connections.”

”I don’t think so.” She frowned, not having seen the title that way.

”What do you see it as?”

”Freedom. If no one knows me, I can go anywhere. I’ve gone so many places that I’m not tied down by any city or person, or even culture. I am just, me.” She shrugged.

”Sounds as if you’ve thought about this before.” Quett observed, and the nameless girl shrugged, examining a hang nail to avoid eye contact. ”And so what first name would you like? I would hate to call you Stranger forever.”

”I haven’t really thought about that.” She muttered, still examining her hang nail. She pinched it with her fingers, trying to pull at it but it slipped out. Lani bit into the nail, wincing at the disproportionate pain for such a small thing. ”I dunno.”
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Vino Aquiras

Postby Lani Stranger on April 29th, 2019, 8:25 pm

”Have you heard of Aquiras?”

”Who?”

”Aquiras.”

”No, I heard, you. But who is that? I kind of want a girl name, actually…” She said, tasting the name and disliking the masculinity of it.

”No, you cannot have the name Aquiras. He is a God, the God of travel.” Quett informed her, and the Stranger furrowed her brow. She knew that she did not know all of the Gods, but she had never heard of Aquiras before. ”He is the one I pray to before I leave The Spires each year. He is the one who watches over doors and protects us on travel. Not many know him, and he is not nearly as active as deities such as Caiyha or Izurdin, but he is a God. And he is my God.”

”Why haven’t I heard of him before?” She asked. ”Why is he so quiet?” She ventured, curiously. The nameless girl liked the idea of a not-well-known God, and discovering new domains that belong to divine beings. Her mother had worshiped a little known god, Harameus, but the girl knew of few others that she could mention their name and at least four people would not also know them. ”My mum worshiped a small God. Although she said he was not small, he was just quiet.” She offered the information to show why she was curious.

”I do not know. Perhaps he has given up on us after the Valterrian. There are ancient texts of the God of Doors and Travel, but no mention of him after the destruction of Mizahar. To me, that does not matter. A deity whose domain I frequent, who’s divinity I rely on, I will not ignore. I bring him up because I am curious as to why you do not know him. One who has traveled as much as you, who clearly plans to continue travelling, should know of whose domain you owe gratitude to.”

”Aquiras.” She tasted the name, feeling a bit giddy with excitement and reverence that there is actually a God to which she can feel some sense of loyalty to. She respected the Gods, of course. But she never felt as in-tune with Harameus as R’yse had, or Ionu as Madeira had. Was there a deity she could put faith into? Even one as quiet as Aquiras?

”The lover of hope, the divine Priskil.” Quett nodded. ”I bring him up, not only because I am wholly devoted to his domain, but also because you remind me of the only other follower of Aquiras I had ever met. A sprite of a woman name Lani, who had been born an Inarta in Wind Reach. She was brash and took very little time to plan things, going where the wind took her, and living her life travelling. She passed before the turn of the fifth century, but she had a beautiful mind.” He spoke, fondly, and the nameless girl leaned her cheek on her arms which were crossed where she lay them on Quett’s desk.

”Lani.” She tasted the name. ”Lani Stranger.” She added the new name to her chosen last name.

”I don’t know if I like it.”

”Should we keep searching for inspiration?” Quett asked, ever so patient with her.

”Well, what if I don’t respond to it?”

”If these are the names you would like to own, you will learn them.” Quett offered, and Lani sighed.

”I want to hear more about Aquiras, please. Who was Lani? Did Aquiras speak to her?”

”As far as I’m aware, Aquiras has spoken to no one. Perhaps he will speak to you, Lani.” Quett answered, and she grinned at the use of her new name. It had not become official yet, but she was curious, and inclined to take it. She almost liked these new titles, and she could already feel the relief of no longer being tied to R’yse. As Lani, she could forget about R’yse, move on, and live her own life. She could pray to Aquiras and travel the world… She could do so many things as Lani Stranger. And so Lani Stranger she became.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes