Closed Journeying with Open Eyes

[Weekend Challenge]Draven on his way to Zeltiva meets an acquiantance of his father, and learns some new truths

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Journeying with Open Eyes

Postby Draven McNiel on June 15th, 2019, 4:01 am

Date, 516 AV

Summer was always a murky season, especially now that the winters have faded. The journey had been a long one, and for one of the participants it was certainly his first. A

Things were rather difficult for Draven all things considered. He was running the last leg of his first real journey beyond the safety of his home city. He had cowered, letting his adventurers spirit be dulled by the hard hitting edge of danger, he was joining a merchant ferry; even paying a fee in of itself. Rather than having been hired; he had opted to move homes, he’d sold off his promises behind him, he’d cut off his own return home, he was beginning his adventure. These were the types of thoughts that Draven tried to peddle to himself as he moved. But in reality, he had simply paid to join their travel. He adjusted the bag over his shoulder again, uncomfortably heavy and fixed the swords on his belt, one wooden which looked silly while travelling.

Was it degrading? It most certainly was. But they were in the last leg, half-way through the pass. Draven had kept his head to the ground and paid attention to his surroundings, well as best as he could. The group was fairly small consisting of a set of merchants, a cart, a pair of hired guards, which didn’t include him, and a couple others like himself. Zeltiva was a well vaunted after location supposedly, but he’d only picked it as it had propped up in his father’s stories.

It was while he was lost in these thoughts that Draven had lost awareness of the world around walking into something in front him. He looked up and found a pair of green eyes stared back at him. ”Everything alright there son?” Brown eyebrows speckled with grey rose up, creating small peaks and valleys across their forehead. Draven took a few seconds, before he responded. ”Yeah, it’s going great.” He nodded before turning his eyes downward again. His nostrils were filled with the scent of the man’s perfume, yet a hint of something else came through when the man spoke again. ”It doesn’t look like it. You’ve been staring at the ground most of this journey.” It was a different scent, slightly stronger and of mint; some kind of paste most likely.

Draven looked back up and gave him a sheepish smile. ”Just trying to sort out my thoughts, it’s my first time away from home you know?” He stretched out the last syllable and ran a hand through his black hair. The brown haired older male nodded slowly, before moving in step with Draven. The pair began to walk in order to catch up to the rest which had moved in ahead of them. ”So you chose to come to Zeltiva? Think things will be better closer to the sea? It can be hard. The city has suffered through a few famines, and it has only gotten worse now Winter is gone, I won’t sugarcoat it, it’s not a paradise; it’s a place just like anywhere else.” The man explained as he stroked his beard, running his fingers through his haylike strands of hair which clumped together into tight curls once he removed his hand, and placed it on Draven’s shoulder giving him a soft pat. ”It’s a good city, a clean open city. But it’s different to what you’ve known but if you’ve got the drive you’ll do fine.” He removed his hand and put it into his pocket. Following that a comfortable silence formed between the two as they walked a path

”Haha. That’s part of it, something I’ve never known. It’s why I wanted to go,” Draven voiced it with a placid smile. ”There’s an entire world out there, full of sights that I would never see if I just stayed holed up in my room down in the depth of Stormhold. Well, that was my goal. I’d run around the world and find things, do things and keep on moving.”
”You’d find something no-one has before, engrave your name in all books to come and people will be naming their children after you for ages to come, is that right?” The man said with an amused smile before he let a few chuckles through. Which made Draven cover his face, trying to hide his embarrassment from the other man which only lead to a louder laugh. He dropped his arms and slumped a little forward, his casual gait turning into lumbering wobbly steps before he straightened himself out again. ”Yeah...Was it that obvious?” His tone dropped, lacking it’s usual energy though to his travelling companions it would only have sounded a little more dull.

”Hah! Once you started explaining just the little bits there, it wasn't hard at all to figure it out. You might have been toning it down, but your eyes were definitely not just fixed on that. I sure guessed that, but I know your name isn’t You, so mind sharing? You’ve hardly talked to anyone, others are beginning to think you’re a little bit...” He gestured to the side and rolled his eyes. Draven wondered what he meant for a second, trying to follow the man’s gaze. But found nothing before his eyes widened in realization, his mouth made a little circlet and he turned his eyes forward again.

He adjusted his bag over his shoulder again, feeling the burn in his shoulders pick up properly again. ”I don’t think I could carry this bag if I were sick.” He said flatly, being made out to be a potential leper wasn't on his list of good misconceptions. Once again a silence hung over the pair, but this time the air felt a little bit heavier.

Draven opened his mouth a number of times before slamming it shut. Without moving his head he glanced to his side a number of times. Though it wasn't him that broke the silence. ”Kiether Heppers.” The now finally named Kiether said, his voice rather calm. Draven nodded at this, looked over and opened his own mouth, trying to add his old energy into it. ” Draven Mcniel, Mercenary...Or was.” He said with a half-smile, though he seemed rather comfortable saying it. ” Will be?” He tilted his head to the side just a little.

Maybe he should have paid attention to Kiether a little more, Draven had missed the look on the man’s face completely; initially the man’s eyebrows moved together and he squinted his eye, his stroking of his beard froze and then his eyes widened just a little in recognition. ”Mcniel, Mcniel…” The man muttered to himself as his expression shifted back to normal. Draven glanced over, a few quick blinks before he raised his eyebrow.

”Something wrong? Have we met before?” Draven enquired. However he got an index finger to his face, wiggling in front of his eye. ”Curry...Just as messy as you but with a thinner pair of swords.” He worded, Draven raised an eyebrow in confusion before his own widened. ”Kerry?”

”That’s it! Kerry. Kerry Mcniel. You know him then? A relative?” He asked though his aged face seemed to brighten up just a little bit. ”Of course I do, he’s my father.” Draven said as if it were the most obvious of things. ”You know him?” He asked, his voice a little incredulous.

”Haha. Well I’ll be, I heard he had a little tyke all that time ago; but I haven’t seen him for so long that I thought he might have died. How’s he?” He asked, the air between the two seemed to lighten up. Draven’s shoulders relaxed a bit before he raised them up as his bag started to slip, his hands hung on tightly to the straps. ”Ah. He passed away a few years ago. Eight exactly.” The young man’s smile faded a little bit as his eyes hung onto the distance.

”Sorry, I didn’t know.” Kiether’s expression was far more subdued, he looked away to the ground. ”That’s fine, he was at peace with it.” Draven said with a chuckle.

”How’d he go?”

It was an innocent enough question, Draven closed his eyes for a second; visualized the night in which his father left the world. The fire burned, they sat around it and just talked the night away, until at one point, they didn’t. Draven spoke, and he had received no reply; again and again. He couldn’t wake him, nor could he bring him back. His father had never been a big man, but Draven hadn’t wanted to drag him through the dirt. He’d left his body there, and returned home in tears. ” I think his job got the best of him in the end, he’d been injured a few times and one night he just never woke up. We talked and we talked and he didn’t reply. But...I think he was happy. He looked more at peace than I’d ever seen him.” Draven looked down at his feet, blinking rapidly in order to not let the tears build up.

”That’s a shame."

Credit for boxcode goes to Karin
Draven McNiel
Player

Words: 79666
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2015, 7:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Journeying with Open Eyes

Postby Draven McNiel on February 8th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Date, 516 AV

”It really was.” Draven’s tone dropped once more. His goal, his fascination towards that man was also his driving goal. To find someone else who knew him, Draven wondered just how he might have appeared. Did he look like a son Kerry would be proud of? Was he like his father? Was he worse? It was thoughts such as these that swum into the hazy sea that had formed over his mind in the last couple of years. Progress was great as small as it was; just a tiny step here would have given Draven some kind of light.

”To think that messy guy was actually capable of raising a kid, even though he was so against the idea of any children; even if his wife really did adore the idea. Every one of us clients had to put up with their bickering on the road, hahaha.” He gripped his somewhat rotund stomach as he let loose a bellowing laugh.

”His wife?” He stopped on the road, looked at the other man, Kiether. Draven’s eyebrows nitted together, his false smile morphed itself into a frown. The gears in his head were spinning, gradually piecing together what was being said. He knew full well that his father wasn't really the ‘fatherly’ type, even if he tried his best. But he had never once mentioned anything about a ‘wife’

”Hm? Something the matter boy?” Kiether too stopped, turning around to face Draven. Rubbing his belly, he seemed to be doing alright with the walking even with his size. There was no change in his slight smile, though it did fade a little as he looked at Draven’s confused frown. ”Surely not...He never mentioned Naya to you?” All Kiether received was a shake of Draven’s head. ”I see. That man probably had his own reasons for telling you, or maybe he just couldn’t deal with it himself. But she’s your mother, the wife of Kerry McNiel. They shared marks, even if there was no funfair around it.” He said with a small chuckle, a far off distant look in his eye as he glanced towards the direction of Zeltiva, not yet in sight.

”I see.” This was news to him, but it didn’t feel like some kind of great impact or a large kick in the guts. As much as Draven loved his father, there was little he knew about his life, or of the man’s friends, he didn’t even know if he had relatives...It was just another piece he did not know. ”Could you tell me more about her?” It didn’t stop his curiosity, he was a man grown now but the child in him had always yearned for a mother. For the warmth and kindness that Kerry was so clumsy in giving on the rare occasion that he felt like it. ”He never mentioned her once, did you know her well?” There was a subtle hint of wistfulness in his voice.

Kiether stroked his peppered brown beard, before nodding. ”Aye, it’s nothing to me. I knew her better than I knew your father that was for sure. I might not look it, but I’m a fair bit older than the two of them.” A deep rumbling chuckle. ”Naya grew up in Zeltiva, in the Ancient District. Her mother is an affluent woman, who is very skilled with numbers; enough so that she made a good living from managing the finances of others, including mine for a time. Her daughter was expected to do the same, but she ran off with a mercenary and that was all I heard until I met her again; working alongside a young Kerry McNiel. She took on his last name, and they worked together, fought together, and travelled together.” He was detailing the information from the top of his head, the tone matching that of a report, Draven assumed that it must have been an old habit.

”So her Mother is still alive?”

”Her father too, as well as her siblings. I haven’t spoken to them in some time, but it seems the old lady is still running her old operation, she had a job at the University in her younger years as well, but that was before I knew her.” He recalled the information slowly, the pace at which he spoke in showed his lack of contact with them.

”Well, there’s a lot I don’t know about that debacle either. But I don’t think she’d take too warmly to the son that those two had. Especially if you were to show up out of the blue.” His light and casual voice dropped several octaves, his usual smile was fixed in a frown. It seemed that Kiether’s warning was serious, so Draven nodded slowly.

A small pause, Draven rubbed the back of his head as he collected his words before letting out slowly. ”I’m adopted to begin with; so it’s not like they owe me anything to begin with, nor are we related.” His voice had the same intensity as a droplet, different to what those who knew him would have expected. It seemed faking it wasn't working out well for him right now. ”But...I’d like to meet them if possible. I’d like to hear more about Naya, and about them too. I’m not related to her, but she must have been like my mother right?” He said, allowing a small smile to form on his face. So he had one too, well it was obvious; it wasn't as if he was born from thin air, but that was the person who had abandoned him. To have had one who cared for him, an actual mother was empowering in a way Draven really didn’t understand.

”Aye. Well, I’m a busy man but I’ll see if I can do something for you. But in the meantime, it seems my wheel has fallen off the barrow, so lend me a hand.” Kiether quickened his pace, and Draven did the same. Not far from Zeltiva, Draven learned more than he had bargained for.

As he quickened his pace to help out, with a hop to his step that hadn't been there for the entire journey, he found it hard to wipe away the smile on his face.

Credit for boxcode goes to Karin
Draven McNiel
Player

Words: 79666
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2015, 7:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes