PM to join Medical

Inka completes some of her daily tasks at the Infirmary.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Medical

Postby Inkara on August 14th, 2019, 7:02 pm

M E D I C A L

20 Summer 519

No one had placed a medical request for her particular skill set, but that didn’t mean there wasn't any work to be done. Inka had spent the entirety of her morning enjoying the golden light of the infirmary, reading over medical scrolls and refamiliarizing herself with the equipment, even following behind Micquel when he wasn’t too busy treating the ill. When he was, he allowed her freedom to watch from a respectable distance, and if she was lucky, get some hands on experience.

Standing next to another Inarta, an Endal woman with blue eyes and a gash running down her leg, Inka retrieved and began laying out the medical supplies they needed, listening intently when her employer began giving a lesson on proper wound sanitation. He told her about caring for the water beforehand through boiling, stressing the medical observations of stagnant water and worsening conditions when it came to open lacerations. A scholarly man, he never seemed to mind her questions, and even encouraged them, although she tried to limit them in the presence of visitors. After all, who wanted to listen to the prattling of nerdy medics when you were sitting with your leg split open?

Apparently this patient had been out scavenging for a particular ingredient listed on one of the pillars in the communal kitchens and her foothold crumbled, sending her sliding down the side of the mountain. The woman had prevented a more dire slip, but not without spilling some blood in the process, bits of rock and dirt still embedded into the inflamed wound. Inka asked how long she had been bonded to her Wind Eagle and its name, making small talk awhile Micquel unrolled one of the bandages and motioned for her to take up a fresh rag.

“Make sure you always have clean hands if you can,” he instructed, moving towards a stool that sat before the woman’s cot, “You don’t want to risk making things worse.”

Inka nodded, scooting to the side to allow more light to shine past her shadow and continue her view.

“I am going to clean around the wound first; Our job is to gather an idea of how bad the injury is and to what degree of treatment is necessary. That applies to any patient, I’m afraid - human or otherwise. Despite each doctor’s best efforts, pain remains our greatest adversary,” he gave a knowing smile, but there was a regretful sadness in the creases of his wrinkles. He dampened the rag and wrung it out, passing it towards her without a word.

Realizing she was to take up the mantle, her eyes widened ever so slightly, “Clean around the wound,” she repeated, giving a sheepish look up and pressing it gently towards the woman’s skin. She made sure to move around the cut, wiping away blood and re-wetting the cloth as needed. As more of the injury became visible, Inka noted that it had appeared a lot worse upon first glance. While she personally specialized in the treatment and care of animal companions, both wild and domestic, there was a certain peace of mind when treating another Inarta. Firstly, she could understand them and soothe their distress. That was half the battle when dealing with anything in agony, “Next we…use mild soap. But not on the affected site,” Inka knew how much that could sting and irritate. When she looked over, Micquel was already beginning to lather up a second cloth.

“Very good.”

Word Count: 578
Last edited by Inkara on January 23rd, 2020, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inkara
Animal Enthusiast

Words: 7567
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2019, 1:06 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Medical

Postby Inkara on August 15th, 2019, 1:26 pm

M E D I C A L

20 Summer 519

She wiped away the blood using vertical strokes, dropping the rag in the bucket and drying her hands while Micquel began pointing out the debris that still clung to the wound. Together they removed the bits with a tweezer, and he proceeded to rinse the gash once more with fresh water. Inka was impressed with how at ease her instructor was, reminded of her first days stopping by the Infirmary for her bendi tasks all those years ago. He had seemed so in control then... It had made her feel like everything would work out when nothing felt stable. She would always be thankful for that.

She was even more thankful he had seen what everyone else had not and offered a place within his area of expertise, even if her own interest of animal care had not lined up exactly with his own. Micquel reached to the side table and began applying a salve that smelled like mint, lavender and something Inka couldn't quite put her finger on. With ease he began to wrap her leg and secured the cloth, letting Inka inspect it and check the circulation, "How does it feel?" she asked, glancing up.

"Good," the Endal admitted, flexing her leg a bit to test the hold, "Better than it was."

"That's the goal," Micquel joked, helping the woman gather her things and prepare for medical discharge, "Come back any time, although we hope you don't have to. And if that Wind Eagle of yours ever needs a check up, well, Inka here is learning all about treating Avians and the like."

She felt herself blush, rushing to clarify, "I'm still learning! Studying-" She couldn't dare consider approaching one of the magnificent beasts,"Er... One day. Maybe. Right now, it's really just dogs, cats... small... much smaller birds."

The patient smiled, sliding from the bed and testing her weight, "A woman with ambition. I'll make sure Nikai and I look for you when that day comes."

Nikai, a good, strong name. It must have belonged to the woman's Eagle. Inka was both embarrassed and proud at the idea of meeting him one day. Talking about her future made it feel like it was possible. That maybe she wouldn't be a Chiet forever.

"Fly safe."

Inka waved as she exited and began to clean up the station, pouring out the bloodied water and placing the rags aside to be washed. She scrubbed the table and then the tools, a myriad of colorful light playing across her hair and face as she shuffled around the room. It was a quiet, peaceful day, and while she wiped away the droplets of blood from the stone floor, Inka pushed back a stray curl and leaned back, "Why did you choose me?"

"Hm?"

"When I was a Yasi. What... What did you see?"

"Your heart," he said bluntly, turning to face her more fully, "Something so big isn't easy to hide."

"I don't understand."

"You were willing to risk your own station in life to tend to your brother. You were distracted, but your capability to care... about all things... And your curiosity... There was no choice to make because there was never any question."

Word Count: 533
Last edited by Inkara on August 16th, 2019, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inkara
Animal Enthusiast

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Medical

Postby Inkara on August 15th, 2019, 3:06 pm

M E D I C A L

20 Summer 519

Inka smiled.

Why couldn't Micquel have been her father?

Finishing up her work, she rewashed her hands and continued down the list of daily tasks. Checking the herbal inventory, she made a mental note to let the others know they would need to send in a formal request to the Mortar and Pestle and touched each jar or bag with gentle hands, comparing the labels and plants to the crude drawings on the pages of the medical scroll. After she felt confident each plant was marked correctly, she slipped on some gloves and checked the dates on each label, followed by the freshness of the plants no longer growing. A few, specifically the eucalyptus bloom felt crisp between her fingers; they would need to use it soon or preserve it.

"I'm going to make a tincture," she announced, partially to make sure that would be alright, but all Micquel did was ask if she needed any help. He pointed out the correct supplies for the task and gave her a small recipe to follow listing a few tips for the novice philterer. She would need alcohol or vinegar - apple cider would work - and a certain measurement depending on if she was using fresh or dried herbs.

Two ounces for fresh herbs, one ounce for dried, for every pint of liquid as a general rule of thumb. Realizing she would need the scale, Inka began to grind the proper amount of eucalyptus and leaned forward to enjoy the fresh scent, tapping the refined dust in a saucer. Next she grabbed a jar of apple cider vinegar and measured the contents, mixing the two together and preparing her funnel. She continued to check her notes - mix the contents, secure with a tight lid and store at room temperature away from sunlight. Shake twice a day, and use a cheesecloth in two weeks to strain away the herbs.

Multiple straining sessions would be required to draw out the entirety of the plants - any remains could lead to mold or spoilage and that certainly wouldn't help anyone feel better. Inka screwed on the lid and gave it a good shake, watching how the little particles danced before wiping away the bit of liquid that had hit the table in preparation and stored it as suggested (but not before adding a label with its name and date created, of course).

When she was done, Inka finished cleaning up and went to rewash her hands in a basin carved from the stone wall, pulling the cord that allowed the spring water to pour out over small, pink hands. Behind her, a Yasi approached and Inka turned at the sound of soft footfalls. A boy on the cusp of manhood gave a small wave of his fingers, a bit of peach fuzz shadowing his upper lip. She guessed he must have been fourteen or fifteen; Most Yasi shadowing in the Infirmary were on the older side, given the nature of the business. They just couldn't risk a child mixing the wrong concoction or stumbling in the way of a serious medical procedure.

He stepped up when Inka smiled and extended a hand, "Hello, miss. My name's Rohgar. Keah said I should look for you or Micquel?"

"Inka," she replied, returning the gesture after using her smock to wipe away rogue droplets of water. Having finished with no other pressing matters, it was the perfect time to teach him, "Why don't you head to the office and I'll meet you there."

"Yes, ma'am."

Word Count: 585
Inkara
Animal Enthusiast

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Medical

Postby Inkara on September 11th, 2019, 5:15 pm

M E D I C A L

20 Summer 1 9

When she made it to the room, the Yasi boy was peering at a hand drawn poster tacked to the wall by yellowed glue. Sketched across the parchment were a number of plants and their uses, along with a humble call to arms for any Endal (or otherwise adventurous soul, she supposed), who wished to venture out and collect more. It reminded her of the pillar in the cafeteria which often requested food ingredients.
Inkara
Animal Enthusiast

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets