Solo Fireweed and Lost Memories

[Cafe Fleurs] Hollis catches up with Azelea

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Fireweed and Lost Memories

Postby Hollis on September 14th, 2019, 5:30 pm

6 Fall, 519

"Here you are, sir." Hollis handed the ravosalaman his due, with a little tip on the side, and flashed him a small smile. "Be blessed today." The pilot of the not-so-modest and maybe-slightly-overdressed watercraft gave her a smile back, the apples of his cheeks reddening. The ravosala was painted in all sorts of varying colors, seeming almost iridescent in the light of Syna. Hollis greatly admired the decorative spirit of the ravosalaman, evident is the generosity of the tip she left him. The man hardly spoke as they drifted along the canals of Ravok, from where he picked her up near the Docks to where he was leaving her, in the Merchant's Ring, right outside of the Spicy Lass.
This, too, Hollis appreciated; it left her alone to quiet her mind and sit with her most basic emotions. She found herself inhaling deeply, filling her lungs to the point right before discomfort, and then allowing her exhalation to happen naturally. She did this for several chimes, eyes closed, allowing her limbs and the muscles of her back to relax. Her mind felt clearer and she felt much more alert by the time they reached their destination.
"Here we are, miss," the driver said in a calm, deep voice. Hollis opened her eyes, noticing they had come to a gentle stop.

As Hollis stepped onto the dock with the help of the driver the sounds of the Ring became clearer to her. It was not particularly loud, or busy, on this morning. She could hear the clank, clank, of a hammer against what she assumed to be an anvil in the distance, the sound of the few citizens out this early having conversations, mothers speaking to their children, lovers walking hand-in-hand and talking about their dreams from the night before.

Hollis wandered along the narrow walkways of the plaza. She had no set motive for coming out today, only to leave the apartment and get some fresh air, and maybe some fresh perspectives. The air was cool, temperate as ever in the city she called home. Ravok's weather was fairly predictable, never changing drastically from season to season. This was something Hollis greatly loved about her home, always reliable. Constant.

Hollis pulled her light cloak tight over her shoulders, inhaling deeply. Something sweet filled her senses, something like that of baked bread, and her mind immediately jumped to Azelea. An acquaintance that she had known for some years, Azelea fascinated Hollis. She found the girl to be vibrant and interesting, always having some scandal or theory to discuss over tea.
She had not seen the girl in some time, and wondered how she was doing. After walking somewhat aimlessly for a while longer, she found herself making a sharp left around a corner, having to hop across a small canal to get to the right path.

She could not remember the last time she had seen this much sunlight. She let the rays wash over her as she wandered through the various stalls, in between docks and buildings. The plaza itself was somewhat difficult for Hollis to navigate. While she had been here many times as a child and well into her adult life, Haldine--her mother--was always there to guide her step.
Am I going the right way? ...Rhysol's fury, where am I--

Cafe Fleurs came into view. It was a difficult place to miss, with all of the vegetation bursting out around it. Hollis smiled and walked toward the quaint little establishment, drawn by the sweet smells of the pastries and the thought of sitting in the garden. She had to cross a small bridge to get there, smiling at the same ravosalaman who had dropped her off earlier.

"Could'da dropped you off here, y'know, miss!" He called out with a laugh.

Opening the door, she was hit with the sound of a plate clattering to the ground. The crash was loud and sharp, followed by a gasp and an "I'm so sorry!"

Azelea was in a crouched position; she was picking up the various shards of the plate that was apparently dropped, picking up the pieces with her bare hands.
"My gods, woman," a man sitting at the table next to her said. "What kind of service is this? I would never allow this from my staff," he muttered, clearly irritated, shooting a glance over at Darnel who was clearly not paying any attention.

"I really do apologize," Azelea said quickly. "I tripped over myself I think, allow me to go get you another plate, with some assorted muffins--on the house!" Her smile was forced, her tone steady but clearly annoyed. After gathering the pieces of the plate she stood and made eye contact with Hollis.

Her eyes grew wide and an expression of joy crept over her face. "Hollis! It's just been too long!" Hollis smiled back at her, feeling her cheeks flush.

"I'd say so, yes," she replied, walking over to where she stood. "Shall I help you with that? Careful not to cut yourself," Hollis said as she reached out and grabbed the bottom of the apron Azelea wore. She pulled the apron up to form a hammock of sorts. "Here, drop it all here, it's safer."

Azelea smiled and dropped the pieces of the plate into the apron, grabbing its edges. "I'll be back, let me dispose of all this. Find a seat, Hollis, and I'll come sit with you. You still favor the fireweed?"

"Absolutely, thank you."

WC = 916
Last edited by Hollis on September 15th, 2019, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollis
Hey, do I smell?

Words: 18451
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2015, 8:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Hollis on September 15th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Hollis found herself seated in a corner of the interior of the establishment. She sat with her back against the wall, so she could see the rest of the patrons clearly. The inside of the Cafe Fleurs was exactly as she remembered.

After dropping off a plate of pasties to the man who was upset with her earlier, she smiled at him, pausing for a moment to talk. She reached out with her hand and placed it on his forearm. She giggled lightly at something he said, and he laughed in a bellowing tone, echoing throughout the small cafe. Clearly he had forgiven her for earlier transgressions, and now seemed quite smitten with her.
Petch, she's good, Hollis thought to herself with a smile.

Azelea made her way over to where Hollis was sitting. In her left hand she had a mug, with the metal chain of a small tea steeper hanging off the side. She placed it gently down on the small table in front of Hollis, saying, "Careful, it is quite warm." Azelea then pulled up a small chair and sat directly across from Hollis, placing her elbows on the table and resting her hands in her palms. "So, Hollis. How have you been? Darnel told me of your loss," she said with pity in her voice.

"Oh, that," Hollis said, her eyes sweeping away from Azelea's gaze. "Thank you," she said, meeting her eyes again after a chime. "I have been OK, considering everything. Honestly."

"How did it happen?"

"Well, she just...died," Hollis said frankly. "She was sitting across from me, just like you are now, and then she was on the ground with no pulse or life in her eyes. It happened in an instant."

"To lose your mother like that, I can only imagine how difficult that must have been... Especially seeing as you were not on the best of terms." Azelea fiddled with the steeper in Hollis's cup, eventually lifting it from the water and letting the excess drip from its body. "Don't wanna let this over-steep, or it will taste like dirty lake water," she said with a giggle.

"Hmm." Hollis took the cup into her hand and sipped the tea lightly after blowing on it gently to cool it down some. The aroma and taste of the tea was as pleasant as she remembered, sending warmth and a sense of comfort down her spine. "This is wonderful, thank you," she muttered with a smile. "Tell me, how have you been?"

The girl sighed. "Oh, busy as always," she said, taking a piece of her hair and twirling it around the index finger of her left hand. "Well, actually, last season was slower than usual...with the curfews, animal goin' nuts...the petching Zith attacks! Plus, the day that Dravlak escaped the entire cafe went to hell!
Customers floating up to the ceiling and knocking all sorts of stuff off tables. It was quite hectic to say the least."

"Yeah, yeah..." Hollis trailed off again. That makes sense. Sure, sure...

Hollis seemed dazed. Azelea looked at her with a puzzled look, clearly confused.

"I am...sorry to hear that," Hollis said with hesitation in her voice. She stared down at her tea cup intently, mesmerized by her own reflection in the dark water. The image was muddled and calm, Hollis staring up at Hollis.

Reflections held so much mystery, and so much truth. Talk to a mirror enough and you can make yourself believe whatever you want, She remembered her mother saying.

"You OK, Hollis?" Azelea asked her with a concerned look on her face.

Hollis looked up from her tea. Her expression was calm but puzzled. "What Zith attacks? And since when has this city had a curfew?"

Azelea kept her eye contact with Hollis steady, her brow furrowed. "Hollis... last season? The city was in piss poor shape! The Ebonstryfe were swarmin' all over the place, and people were being attacked left 'n right by beasts o' the land and o' the lake. And the Zith...that was just petching terrifying! People were eaten!"

"Azzie, I...don't recall any of that," Hollis admitted. Her expression was still composed, but her hands were shaking. A fear had settled deep in her gut. The more she thought about it, the more unclear she was regarding her memories of the Summer. "Say, what did you mean when you said my mother and I weren't on good terms?"

"Well," Azelea said reflectively. "The last time I saw you two together, you were... well, you were having an argument, or some sort of squabble, which was really out of character for you two. I had never seen either of you so much as complain. You were sitting in this exact spot, if I remember correctly! You were crying, and clearly upset with something Haldine had said or done. She seemed pissed."

Hollis kept her eyes on Azelea. She remembered none of this. What? How was this possible? Hollis felt her eyes watering, and her vision seemed to blur. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and she clasped her hands in front of her on the table, tightly enough so that her knuckles turned white. "Hey," Azelea said, reaching out and placing a hand on Hollis's. "Are you sure everything is alright?"

The woman looked up to meet her eyes. "No," she cleared her throat and took another, long sip from her tea, brushing Azelea's hand away. "I think... I think something must have happened, Azelea. Or I am too overwhelmed, or... I do not know, but I do know I cannot recall any of this."

Azelea looked at Hollis with her brow furrowed. "How is that possible? I've never heard of such a thing."

"Oh, but Hollis has," a voice said, seemingly from nowhere. "Hollis knows much of these kinds of things, do you not, dear?"

Hollis looked up to see the face of someone she thought she would never see again.

WC = 995
Last edited by Hollis on October 27th, 2019, 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hollis
Hey, do I smell?

Character sheet

Postby Hollis on September 25th, 2019, 2:33 am

Hollis felt the hate form on her tongue like a film of velvet. "Damn you, Anise," she said with an acid tongue, feeling the djed roll around beneath the roof of her mouth. The pinpricks of the magic felt like licking a woolen cloth dipped in starch, and tasted of sour tea. Almost without meaning to she cast her words at the woman standing before the two maidens, filled with malice. She arose from her seat at the small table in Cafe Fleurs, the sound of the chair scraping against the wooden floor loudly echoing through the small chamber. She only wanted to get one message across to the woman: do not mess with me, hag.

"Gods, Holly--is that any way to talk to your aunt?" Anise said as she walked towards the two girls. Her long, dark hair was loosely tied by a navy hair ribbon and laid over her left shoulder. She was tall, with a lithe body hidden beneath a beautifully embroidered lace-up tunic and a billowing skirt made of some sort of iridescent silk. Her face was long in shape, and narrow, with a proud nose and laugh lines around her full lips. Simply, and unmistakingly, she was beautiful.

Hollis laughed aloud, a bellowing laugh, filled with anger. "You dare call yourself my aunt? Please," she said with a scoff. Moving from where she was standing, she walked closer to the woman. She felt Azelea reach for her hand but Hollis knocked it away quickly. While closing the distance between them, Hollis began to pool djed behind the globes of her eyes. She could feel the pressure of the djed, like a needle behind her eyes, directly in the center of her forehead. Eyes watering, she met Anise where she stood. "You were never my aunt. Not in blood, and certainly not in spirit. You were a dreadful curse upon my family, and I want nothing to do with you." Hollis released the djed in the form of a simple thought: Hollis has a dagger hidden in her sleeve.

Anise backed away suddenly, raising an arm in defense. She hissed as Hollis approached her.

Azelea leapt from her seat and grabbed Hollis by the shoulder and twirled her halfway around. "That is enough, Hollis. You will not bring this into my cafe." She looked pissed, with an undertone of concern. "Take your shyke elsewhere."

"You spat like a cornered rat," Hollis laughed, walking along a dock outside of the cafe. "Never seen you startle like that before."

"Hush, girl," Anise said quickly, sending a glare Hollis's way. "I was convinced you would kill me. I forgot about your mind games for a moment." She walked alongside Hollis at a slow pace, the two women aimlessly wandering through the Merchant's Ring, dawdling along the canals. Hollis's fierce mood had dimmed into a low murmuring discomfort, one she could feel physically manifesting in the pit of her stomach. It had been weeks since she saw Anise, the last memory of her being unpleasant, to say the least.

Haldine and Anise were the best of friends. Anise was often with Hollis and her mother, and for many years Hollis looked up to the woman. Noble, born into money, power, and influence, she was a good ally for the Raegard women to have. Haldine and Anise had known each other since they were small, united by an intense sense of pride. Thick as thieves, Hollis would watch them play cards or drink wine, and listen to their conversations, gleaning as much as she could about adult life before she was of age.

Their relationship remained much of a mystery to Hollis; they would disappear into the night, leaving Hollis alone while she slept. She never knew where they were, only that they would return home right before Syna broke. There was a falling out of sorts between the two some years ago, and Anise quickly disappeared from Hollis' life. Years passed, until the day Haldine's body was sent off on Lake Ravok. There stood Hollis, watching the ship that held Haldine's weighted body sail out of the port, tears streaming down her face. Anise approached her from behind, putting her hand on Hollis' shoulder. They embraced, Hollis crying aloud, sobbing into her chest.

After a period of silence, Anise whispered, "Was this your doing?" Appalled Hollis stepped away from the woman, her expression contorted with grief and disbelief.

"Why would you say that to me? How dare you imply--" Hollis screamed, her voice breaking into another sob. "You know nothing! You know nothing of us, you wretched old bat! I would give my own life to save hers!"

Anise stepped forward, reaching out for Hollis, but she refused any embrace Anise offered. "Child, I only meant--"

"No!" Hollis cried, overwhelmed by her grief. Hyperventilating, sleep deprived, beaten by sorrow, she gagged on her words, snot pouring from her nostrils. "LEAVE! " she cried, wanting nothing to do with what Anise had to say. She had crossed the line, and Hollis was in no state to understand or question.

The memory of that day was fuzzy still, almost like a dream. But the anger was palpable and shocking when she saw Anise in the cafe. It was instinctual. Walking beside her now, the smell of her perfume filling her senses, Hollis was secretly glad to see the woman. Seeing her brought a sense of comfort, along with the anger, something she often experience with her own mother when she was alive. But why did she ask her that dreadful question all those weeks ago?

Hollis
Hey, do I smell?

Character sheet