Solo [Job Thread] Hard Headed

Octarus continues to learn the ropes at the Okomo Villa.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Job Thread] Hard Headed

Postby Octarus on December 1st, 2019, 4:05 am

5th day of Fall, 14th Bell

It was a sweltering day at the villa so when the barest of breezes came down the valley, Octarus was thankful for the relief. The Okomo he was grooming seemed to enjoy it too as it gave a toss of its head and twisted in the direction of the wind.

That made Octarus smile to himself as he took a look a final look at its hoof to see if it needed another touch of the file. With any luck it wouldn't get too much hotter, because he still had many bells ahead of him before the respite of night.

Deciding not to dwell on that , he focused on his current task. He wasn't particularly used to grooming these creatures yet, but he'd had some experience back in Alvadas with similar creatures. It meant he wasn't quite so much out of his depth but it was still an uphill climb from here.

Gently he teased out an impacted rock before continuing to trim the hoof.
It was larger than the goats he had worked on before coming here, and seemed to be a good deal stronger. It took a little more effort, and already a dull ache was starting at the back of his elbow and up his shoulder. An old wound from a life he barely remembered.

Benito giving you any trouble over there” Luanna asked from a stall next to him. He looked up to see her grinning wryly back at him, which an elicited a small smile in return. She had been his guiding force since arriving here and had adopted the responsibility for showing him what to do around the Villa. Currently she was giving her Okomo charge a massage, which was apparently a thing they did often here for these treasured animals. Octarus was still struggling to grasp that part of the grooming, just because he hadn’t much experience with these animals, or giving massages. Thankfully, Luanna was a patient teacher, though she wasn’t above a scolding him when he needed it.

No, I think he is finally warming up to me” Almost as if he was listening, Benito gently headbutted him on the shoulder as he released his forehoof. Octarus, still grinning, scratched the Okomo between his horns. That drew a pleased chuff from Benito whom then lowered his head and stretched out his neck for a massage. Rolling his eyes to himself, Octarus started working his fingers along the creature’s spine, kneading the muscles there. He felt clumsy, like his first time with a file, but Benito didn’t seem to mind his lack of skill.

After he worked on his sides for a bit, he moved back up the Okomo’s neck, finishing with a scratch behind both of its’ ears. Benito lingered against his scratching for a few moments, before he abruptly snorted, and made his way out of the building.
Octarus
Player

Words: 47979
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2019, 3:24 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

[Job Thread] Hard Headed

Postby Octarus on February 19th, 2020, 3:11 pm

“Are they always that smart, or just Benito?” Octarus pondered aloud, drawing a chuckle from Luanna. “Always, careful they are very clever, and they hear EVERYTHING!” He snorted at that and turned to make sure all of the tools were back on the table properly. Luanna was just finishing with her Okomo charge which worked out perfectly because she’d promised to show him more of the grounds, and he was eager for some fresh air. It was beyond stuffy in this building because of the heat. A few more breezes would do their moral good. Her thoughts must have mirrored his own because she walked right out of the building, standing in the sunshine for a few moments before twisting to look back at him.

Sheepishly, he followed, his eyes squinting against the light for the half a chime it took to adjust. Together they walked for a bit before Luanna started talking. “Out here we keep an eye out for Okomo who need our help. If they look sick, injured, or pregnant we bring them in and make sure we get them the care they need. We don’t do the same for grooming, they’re good about doing that on their own as I’m sure you have well noticed.

Octarus nodded, watching a pair of Okomo trundle past. “What are some early signs to look for when they are pregnant?

You’ll get to know that when you start working more with them. It will allow you to notice the small changes like them being tighter around the midsection, and if you’re milking them, they’ll start to produce less. If it’s her first, her utters will swell up, and sometimes they’ll start acting a lot different too. Like when Yola was pregnant. Normally she is a bit standoffish, but when she got with a kid, she was nuzzling everyone at the grooming stations. That’s just a few things you’ll notice, but don’t worry you will get to know them all as well as I do before too long.

Octarus bit his lip and nodded. Made sense. He was starting to grow accustomed to their habits, but he wasn’t familiar enough with them yet to pick them out of a field. He would need substantially more experience before he would be able to pick up on pregnancy changes, or early signs of sickness for that matter. “Is there anything I should watch out for specifically while I am out here?

Well looking out for obvious signs of sickness for one. If you see an Okomo with signs of scouring on its posterior or runny eyes, they need to be taken in as soon as possible. Also keep an eye out for ones that are locked up looking at the sky for long periods or stumbling around like a drunk. Other than that, same with the pregnant ones. Just takes some time to get used to the herd and how they function. Slowly you’ll start noticing when one looks a little thinner or is straying from the herd frequently. You’ll be able to pick out one who hasn’t been peeing for a while as easy as you pick out your shirt in the morning.” She said with a grin, slapping him on the back. Chuckling and nodding, Octarus went back to watching the Okomo.
Octarus
Player

Character sheet

[Job Thread] Hard Headed

Postby Octarus on February 19th, 2020, 3:12 pm

After you get a bit more experienced with grooming them and getting to know them, we’ll switch you over to the birthing stalls” Luanna said as she scratched an Okomo between its horns. “Don’t want to overwhelm you.” Octarus’ eyes widened but she just chuckled. “Not that you need it, but it is just policy. These Okomos are very special to us, and we have a way of doing things to ensure their proper care.” She watched him for another few moments, before adding. “Well, I suppose I could show you how we saddle the Okomo’s, if you are up for it?

Yes, of course” He said, shaking his head a little too vigorously. Realizing this, Octarus grinned sheepishly. Perhaps it was the sun baking his head giddy, or maybe it was the thought of saddling one of the creatures. He had never ridden an animal before, at least not in this life, but the yearning was there. It wasn’t something he had ever found in himself until he’d met a Drykas, fresh off the Sea of Grass in all his terrible glory. Seeing that rider approach had awoken long dormant feelings within him that day. Ideas that churned and grinded at the soul beneath as the wave came crashing over him.

He blinked. He blinked again. He blinked and blinked till his blood calmed. Luanna cast him a strange look but gave him some privacy by walking ahead a few paces. Slowly, the panic subsided as he focused on the task ahead. Saddling an Okomo, and if he was lucky, maybe a chance to see some riding up close.

So far, he’d only seen the Shinya mounting up from afar, and was eager for a closer inspection. Maybe it would help him whenever he decided to try his hand at it, though he was worried he was going to make a fool of himself. Picking up the pace, he caught up quickly with Luanna.

Is it difficult to ride the Okomo?” Octarus asked, and the Okomo to Luanna’s side cocked his head towards him snorting. “Not particularly if you are suitably prepared, and they like you. If they don’t, you are almost guaranteed not to make it onto their back. It takes a lot of trust to allow someone that much power over you.” The creature to her right seemed to give a nod, though he could have just been bobbing his head. Octarus grinned. He was dubious about just how much the creatures understood, but at times like these he was inclined to believe Luanna’s tales.

Makes sense, both mount and rider have to be comfortable together if they are to correctly read each other’s needs.” She nodded, and waved goodbye to the Okomo which was trundling off to join a group of others in the fields. In front of them was the bustle of the stables, with grooms and Shinya milling about attending their duties. A man emerged from within and waved at them. Luanna beamed at him in a way he hadn’t seen her look at anyone. Before he could ask who, it was she was running to him, and leaping into his arms. Octarus smiled and followed behind, taking his time to catch up to the couple.
Octarus
Player

Character sheet

[Job Thread] Hard Headed

Postby Octarus on February 26th, 2020, 2:32 am

Coming closer, he saw that the man was a Shinya wearing dark blue robes. They were well cared for and had a silver trim that he had noticed on another Shinya. Across the robe, he wore a black sash with three white stripes. Underneath he wore black pants and shoes. That was all he had a chance to observe before the man spoke and reached out to him.
My name is Quen, and yours?
Octarus took the man’s hand, and opened his mouth when Luanne spoke.
This is Octarus, a new groomer here at the Villa.
He smiled and nodded, adding. “I came from Alvadas to see these peaks and decided to settle down when I met the Okomo.

He’s an Ethaefal” Luanne explained, wrapping an arm through her husband’s. Quen nodded, looking him up and down. “Well you couldn’t have a better teacher here. Luanne looks after these Okomo as if they were our children.

Yes, of course, I’m quite appreciative of her help. I’ve learned quite a bit already during my brief time here because of it.

Quen nodded, and looked back to the stable, then to Luanne. “Well, I need to get going. I’m sure I’ll run into you again Octarus. Luanne” He said, giving her a kiss on the forehead before going to an Okomo whom was already saddled. Quen mounted it easily, dark beads barely making a noise with the fluid movement. Then he was off. Luanne turned towards him.

He really is more social when he doesn’t have work on the mind. Anyways, this is were we will move you once you have a bit more experience grooming and getting to know the animals. From there we will see how you do to see where you go next. What do you think of our saddles?” She asked, gesturing to one of them that was already on another Okomo waiting for its rider. It was a slim construction of black leather that seemed to comfortably wrap around the Okomo’s midsection. “They look well designed, I hope they aren’t to difficult to put on” He said, rubbing the back off his neck as he looked at the saddle. He wanted to add something more insightful, but he was tired, and it was almost time for their break today. The sun seemingly sapped all the energy from him in their walk over here. “Not at all, but don’t worry about that for right now, focus on improving your grooming for now. We can always do it better, and faster right? Besides there will be plenty of time to learn when we move you over here.” Octarus nodded, and followed her out of the stable, back into the sunlight.

Well, it was nice chatting with you Octarus. Will I see you after break?” Luanne asked, mopping her brow with back of her sleeve. “Of course, see you then Luanne.
Octarus
Player

Character sheet