Flashback Father's Pride and Joy

Full acceptance by the clan, upon earning her windmarks

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Father's Pride and Joy

Postby Daninna Kvalheim on September 8th, 2020, 1:26 pm

14nd Day of Summer 513 A.V

Ariel's hand tapped the ground lightly, signaling his defeat. The smile on his face, though one could expect it to be sour, showed nothing but pride. His little sister was growing up so fast. It was not too long ago that he carried her little frame in his arms after she had fallen asleep near the campfire, while listening to the tales of two wondering merchants. And now, now she was a young woman competent enough to beat him, skillful enough to provide for herself and lucky enough to have found a man matching all of that.

His drifting thoughts interrupted by a hand ruffling the loose, golden locks spread over the dirt. She might have grown stronger, but she was still the same, silly, playful teen they all knew and loved
"Why in Gods' name would you do that? Have you no idea how long it takes to brush all of this out
You evil, little pest!"
Ariel added, in what was evidently an attempt to sound annoyed. The smile warming up his entire face, however, proved otherwise. His body shifting effortlessly, allowing the young Drykas to stand on her own two feet.
"Ah.... I had almost forgotten... Mother taught you how to braid in new ways. Does this"- pointing at the leaf attached to the, now messy locks falling past his shoulders, "Mean that I will be on your tormenting list tonight?" The question seemed more like a statement with a hint of joke to it, than anything.

"My dear brother... how is it torment to have your hair taken care of? How will Marsha ever live with you, is a mystery to me". A little jab at his pride seemed to be a necessity every time they spoke. Just as Ariel was about to retaliate however, a woman's voice could be heard from a tent near by.
"Ariel, your father needs assistance. Come quickly! Oh and Dani dear, go out of the camp south please, Marcel and the boys should be coming back shortly!"

A soft pat over her head, and the young Drykas was left alone. Reaching into her pocket, she grabbed a string and moved it up to her lips. The white teeth seemed to shine against her tanned complexion, as they held onto the object, freeing her hands in turn. Her fingers carefully moving upwards, to bend and braid her red hair in a rather particular way. Once done, the string served as a way of tying it all together. A now visible smile curled her lips upwards in anticipation of her loved one and her brothers' return.
"I'll head out mother!" she screamed, a bit louder than she had hoped to, before making her way out of the camp.

She wouldn't go far, she couldn't. The Sea of Grass was not a safe place, particularly so at dusk, for a Drykas with no Strider. Dani spent a significant amount of time thinking of that, daily. Everything else in her life was perfect, everyone around praised her, and yet, at the age of 12, no Strider had chosen her. No one in her family or her clan spoke of it, unless she brought it up. Almost as if they were certain that one day, sooner than later, she would bond. She did not share the same level of certainty, even more so with each passing season. It was not only a hit on her pride, but a pain in her soul as well. An odd feeling, almost as if a part of her was missing.

The sound of hooves in a gallop snapped her back to reality. Two beautiful, brown horses - each ridden by one of her brothers and a white one, ridden by Marcel. To her surprise, though, there was one more, one more galloping alone. In her eyes, it was as dark and as beautiful as the night sky. Its thick, luscious mane and tail openly showing it was no humans' horse. With each fast, heavy step, the beauty of this magnificent animal shone through. Their eyes seem to have met and simply would not part. It was as if some invisible force was tugging at her very soul, pulling her towards the beautiful beast.

Only after a quiet cough from Marcel, did she realize that all three men were now off their Striders and for the first time in years, her arms were not wrapped around her love, before his feet could even touch the ground.
"He followed us here... we did not feed him, nor did we call upon him... he just came", Marcel explained, his finger questioningly scratching the side of his head.
"I... I'm sorry. I just have to..." Dani, yet again, ignored the man's presence to everyone's surprise. Instead, her body gracefully began moving towards the dark animal. All the Drykas present could sense a switch within both her mood and her demeanor, with Marcel being the one to break the odd silence this time as well
"We will head in. I will inform your mother of your excused absence, my love. Please, stay vigilant". Following the statement, all three men entered the camp, with their Striders remaining at their designated spots.

Her mind was blank, so the lack of a response to what was said came as no surprise. That pounding heart within her chest, however, felt as if it was about to burst. Aching within her soul only decreasing as she closed the gap between her and the animal. When she was mere inches away, her feet finally stopped moving.
"By all that is holy, you are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen", her voice soft, quiet, with a subtle choke at the end of the sentence, showing just how emotional she really was. Her hand instinctively reached up, towards the animal, stopping close enough for the warmth of his body to radiate onto her palm. A slight flinch of it's beautiful, dark body felt like a sword being shoved straight through her.
"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I did not mean to frighten you", her voice and the words said, resembling those of a child begging to not be punished.

That flinch seemed more of a curious, albeit cautious one, than one caused by fear. This thought in Dani's head only further asserted as the animal tilted it's head lightly, sniffing the young Drykas' palm, then her hair and finally, her neck. Her own nostrils filled with a scent so beautiful, she could not even begin to describe. A gentle nudge against her hair made every part of her body shiver.
The very second her fingers pressed against what she now felt was her Strider, the whole of her being sprung alive. Every worry, every uncertainty, erased in an instant.

Their gazes met, once more. The settling sun revealing a stream of tears moving down Dani's cheeks. As much as she tried to hold herself back, she couldn't bare the amount of beautiful emotion flowing within her.
"I will forever cherish this bond, my friend. I promise." She whispered, her body gently moving to the animal's side. A firm, yet soft grip on its mane allowed the young Drykas to climb up.
"So, Katala, how about we head home together?", her words causing the animal to joyfully perk itself on its hind legs and neigh. "Aye - you like your name?", she gently patted Katala's neck, giggling softly.

"Mother! Father! Brothers!", she called out, making half of the clan questioningly come out of their tents.
"Marcel..." her eyes still filled with tears as she now stood by Katala's side "Isn't he majestic?". A question that need no answer, as it was obvious of the bond they shared. Mere blink of an eye later, the first clapping noise was heard, then the second and the third, until the entire clan was clapping, cheering and dancing, with her father already arranging a celebration as well as a day of her marking.

It was on that day, that she found herself as a Drykas.
Last edited by Daninna Kvalheim on October 21st, 2020, 12:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Daninna Kvalheim
Player

Words: 22744
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2020, 3:14 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Father's Pride and Joy

Postby Daninna Kvalheim on September 9th, 2020, 11:39 am

The cheering and clapping seemed to last for chimes. Her father's joy even longer, while approaching the newly-bonded pair. As if on queue everyone went silent, allowing the man's deep voice to rumble through the air
"And to think you doubted yourself, even for as long as a blink of an eye. Yes, my little flame, he is a perfect match for you. As majestic and strong as you, with that same stubborn, little glint in his eyes. Welcome, my child, welcome to both of you"

Dani was not one to cry openly, it was not fitting for a warrior to present themselves as weak. However, the pride in her father's voice played like a pleasant melody in her mind, causing a faint tear to form in the corner of her eye. A tight, but short embrace of his daughter, before he lifted her arm up in a victorious manner, causing the entire clan to cheer once more. It was a beautiful sight, showing the unity of Drykas people as a whole.

After many of the clan members congratulated the family, things began settling down, until eventually everything seemed normal. Kvalheins made their way into the tent, with only Dani remaining outside. Fingers gently running over Katala's muscular back, she whispered "Every parting from you will ache, but this particular one feels like a torn in my heart. I will be here, with you, before the sun signals dawn", her own words heavy on her.

A restless night for the young Drykas. Even the slightest of sounds broke her slumber. Thoughts of the previous day and days to come filled her mind each time it awoke. It was not before long that Dani simply could not lay still. Her body almost bouncing off of her sleeping area, fingers deftly putting pieces of clothing on, one by one. Even with all the care in the world not to awaken anyone else, she failed. Feeling her mother's questioning gaze, she spoke before any questions came out
"I must go mother. It aches me that he is alone out there, after just meeting me. We will not go far, I swear to you."

As soon as the last words came out of her mouth, her body hastily moved towards the exit. Faint moonlight grazed over all shapes in the camp, allowing the young Drykas to spot her new companion rather quickly.
"You seem as restless as me, my friend", she stated while approaching Katala. Her fingers holding onto a thick brush, much too thick for her own hair. Once close enough to have her nostrils filled with his scent, the loud thumping in her head seemed to finally stop.
"I brought this with. Maybe you'd enjoy it", someone of a questioning smile forming on her face, as she showed the brush off.

Katala appeared all too eager to see her, halving the distance between them in but a few steps. His warm breath brushed over the Drykas' face, greeting her with a gentle, playful nudge. Once her fingers made their way up Katala's neck, she was finally at ease. Lifting the other hand up, she allowed her companion to sniff and explore the brush in hopes it would not scare him once it touched his beautiful, dark coat.

By the time she was done brushing, the sun had already peaked over the horizon. Ruffling could be heard within the surrounding tents, reminding Dani of her promise to Marcel. They were to head over to a nearby creek, for some alone time before both of them had to train. Upon remembering this, she pressed her palms against Katala's back, jumping up quickly "Come, friend, we haven't much time. Let us go for a quick run".

At the lightest of taps, the animal seemed to sense its bondmate's desires, quickly turning towards the gate and rushing out. Dawn was always quite chilly, with a light gust of brushing over Katala's mane and Dani's hair. A majestic sight to come across, had anyone been around to witness it.

This was it, their first, proper ride after bonding and it felt all too natural. The position of their bodies, movement of their legs, the way she held onto Katala, it all happened so instinctively, almost completely in sync, that the unison between the two was unquestionable. Granted, Katala did not move nearly as fast as he could, but the fact that they rode together was more than this Drykas could ever hope for.

Losing track of time yet again, Dani finally realized just how late it was as the sun now caused beads of sweat to form between her exposed shoulder blades.
"Woah boy! Time to go back", she exclaimed, tugging on Katala's mane gently, guiding him in a direction he already seemed to know. Heading back meant an end their their little adventure, but a beginning to so many more.
Daninna Kvalheim
Player

Words: 22744
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2020, 3:14 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet