Spear + Fish (Blythe)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Spear + Fish (Blythe)

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on March 10th, 2011, 2:10 am

He stood there, listening to Blythe carefully. He didn’t know how to take what she was saying. In a way he felt like a scolded child. But it wasn’t HIS fault; not directly. Yes if he hadn’t been here she would not have seen his vision of the past. This much was true. But at the same time how was he to know what she was capable of? How could he have known that she would be thrown into a fit over seeing his past? Or that it was even possible. Being what it was he still felt horrible about the entire event.

"What does it matter Serrif? What difference does it make whether or not you wish to share? Why try to hide something that I have already seen? Why try to shield someone from something they already know? Something they can practically taste on their lips, something so close that they could almost discern what it is for themselves?" She spoke the truth there was no use in trying to hide anything now. Actually hiding it all would do more harm than good at this point. He didn’t want anything she thought about going unanswered now. No; he wanted to trust her. He wanted to trust someone with his past, his story. Even if the timing was horrible for him he would share. He would answer and he would learn that sometimes it wasn’t about you. It was about what was best. What was RIGHT.

"Having an explanation for a vision cannot hurt. The sights, the sounds, they hurt, but the rest of it can't. Can it? When we have already had the chance to brace ourselves. When we have already experienced the worst of it. Does it truly make sense to fear one's heart breaking if they simply understand what they have seen fully, as you do?" Again truth that resonated with him and he could only nod in understanding; signaling to her that he would do as she asked. She could continue questioning. He would answer as best he could.

She took a seat then had Serrif do the same. He did so and then listened further. He wasn’t sure what to expect from her. What she could ask. What had she seen all bothered him somewhat. He supposed anything was possible but she hadn’t given him any real details yet. Just general details of him being kept in a cage and the people in it being rowdy. That happened more often than he liked to admit; that and he was whipped. But that happened more often than he gave testament to. Although his body on the other hand hinted that the wounding happened often indeed.

"Surely, the least you could do is mention his name. If you know it. Who was he Serrif? And how did he come to know you? How did you come to be in that camp? He mentioned an Alexander... and the land seemed so unlike here. So very distant. Surely you have traveled a long way to reach us... perhaps that is why you are so thin. So... rugged, yet weak looking.” Her explanation made sense and she could feel the tremors of his hand in hers while she spoke of the occurrence. He remembered; she knew he remembered she could feel it in his body. His muscles remembered those men. His body; his pain remembered those two. It seemed he would never forget that place; and how could he? It was the place of rebirth for Serrif. That was where he became what he was. Where he was formed into who he was now.

She then went about trying to explain how he should tell his tale. He closed his eyes as she explained. Again his hand trembling in hers slightly. "Just imagine yourself telling someone a bedtime story. Surely you have told a child a story before they drifted off to sleep? Perhaps those stories were far nicer than what you are about to share, but the premise is the same, is it not? Well, perhaps it is best to picture yourself sharing an old wife's tale. A story used to scare the pants off children, and get them to hush and go to sleep early so that their mothers can rest easy. Surely you know of these stories, perhaps you've even heard a few growing up. Now it's your turn to make your own wife's tale Serrif. Except this time, the story is true, and the story is your own.” She moved closer to support him he felt more comfortable. She felt him open to her. His eyes opened and he spoke quietly, every word concise. As if he was really thinking through the simple placement of the words themselves before he spoke.

“The men in your vision were Alexander and Demetrius. They were two of four men at the camp. There was another Heov, also human he was much like Alexander and Demetrius. However the last man Zanthor was far worse than any of the three. He called himself ‘the doctor’. Seemed the men were interested in not only the sale of slaves but the sale of poison and new experiments in what they called medicine.” He paused and his eyes drifted off remembering what was done to him there; all those horrific nights from the depths of hell. He remembered the suffering but that was about all.

“I was the main subject for the doctor. They poisoned me, almost daily. Then tried random supposed cures on me. Sometimes they made things worse; sometimes better. And more often they did nothing. And I was left to toil with the poison coursing through my body. The vision you saw was humane compared to what actually happened to me. Somewhere among the poisoning and torture I lost all memories of everything before the camp. All this along with the whipping torture and humiliation went on for nearly four winters. I remember only because the winters were soo cold.” He braced himself for what he was to say next.

“Death visited often in winter. The nights were cold. They provided little if anything to us. They starved us, I was thin and frail to begin with. But one night; something they concocted freed me. I’m still not sure. I just remember waking up near a road with the little gear I have. So from there I walked…days on end nonstop. I didn’t rest for fear of being captured again. And I made it to a port. There I bargained my services on the ship for passage to wherever it was going. And that was here.” He sighed heavily then looked out again to sea.

“That is all there is to my story. I don’t have much of a past. And honestly I prefer the forward looking future of now than ever looking back into my past again. Even before the camp. I don’t ever want to know what that camp took from me.” The words hurt. How could one give up on their past? Especially when it could be anything? But he had decided that he didn’t want to know what had been robbed of him. What he had before all of this. He didn’t wish to even know a little of what could’ve been. He was here now and that was more than enough for him to be happy about.
A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spear + Fish (Blythe)

Postby Blythe on March 10th, 2011, 5:13 am

Blythe shuddered. Those men don't sound very nice.

Way to state the obvious. Blythe's right brain commented, as it envisioned itself rolling its eyes at the left.

"Why would they test poisons on a bunch of slaves? Why not..." Blythe shuddered, "sell them to people... oh never-mind. That's even worse... no just as bad... no worse." Blythe grabbed her head and covered her ears. Her blonde hair trickled around her fingertips. Her eyes were tightly shut. "It's all horrible and entirely unnecessary. Just so, so horrible," she muttered, as she tried to wrap her brain around what sorts of people would make poison only to inject it into another being, and then attempt to save them from their own poisons repeatedly. Finally, after she had calmed down a bit, Blythe returned her hands to her lap.

"I am surprised you're not dead. Heck, I'm surprised the entire camp isn't dead. Surely some of those poisons were contagious," Blythe continued. "And how did they manage to capture and contain you all anyway? Surely four men against so many... it just doesn't make sense. Your numbers alone should have been enough to turn the tides in your favor. But then again, you were all in cages.... all poisoned."

Blythe shuddered again. "But the past is the past. It has happened already, and there is nothing anyone can do to change it. So perhaps you're right, perhaps it's best to simply forget the things you may not wish to dwell on, the things you simply cannot change. But then again, dear Serrif, the past is what makes us who we are today. Without the past, we are nothing. Simply dust in the wind, and thus, as much as you may want to, it may not be best to simply forget it all."

Blythe was silent for a long time. She was simply swishing her right foot back and forth in the sand and looking down at her hands. "Just remember that Serrif." Blythe was silent for another long while before she dared to look up at Serrif again. "You know your secret is safe with me," she said, with a shy smile, before looking down at her feet again. "Your story shall not be shared with anyone."

This day has simply been too dark.

But it is so light out, and so very beautiful out.

"Now what do you say we try to enjoy the day and not dwell on such dark things? After all, the sun is shining, the water is lovely, as is the sand beneath our feet. It is simply too nice out to pass up, and, correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression you don't want to talk about your past anymore anyway. Which is fine, it doesn't all need to be let out and into the open right now anyway. We both have more than enough time to get to know each other, to speak of it if you so chose," Blythe said. "It's not as though I'm going anywhere. Although you might. Although the Island is lovely all year around, there aren't many adventures to be had. Mura is rather peaceful, as are the majority of its people. The fact that we're on an Island keeps us out of a lot of worldly affairs, although it fails to cut us off completely. Although your heart may long for the peace of this city now, it may grow tired and one day long for something more. Such a thing is only normal. Most of us leave here too, at one time or another. But my adventure has been had for now. My heart is satisfied, and I am pretty sure I will simply rest here for a time. Relax before I venture back out and into the world."

Blythe dug her right hand into the warm sand at her side. She picked up a pile of coarse grains, and then let them slip through the tiny spaces in-between her fingers. She watched as the sand fell, making a mild hissing noise before forming a tiny mountain of sand by the side of her body. "We have so much time Serrif. Or at least, that is what we always tell ourselves, before we realize how quickly it slips away." All of the grains had fallen from between Blythe's fingers, save for one. Blythe lifted her hand to her face, so that it rested just before her lips, her palm was flat, and facing the sunny sky. Blythe parted her lips, and blew, causing the final grain of sand to swirl away and into the sea of all the other tan grains. Blythe tried to watch it go, but it soon disappeared from her sight. Blythe lowered her hand again, and looked over at Serrif, but said nothing.

OOCErm... would you like to wrap up soonish? I am running out of getting to know you things to say. Unless you have an idea as to where to take it, in which case, I shall simply follow your lead.
Not taking on threads until further notice.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Words: 487329
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Spear + Fish (Blythe)

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on March 10th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Serrif was just as lost and clueless as she was in it all. He didn’t understand the men’s intentions. When she brought up that there were only four men he shrugged and then spoke some. “Well we only ever saw four. But sometimes at night…we saw things in the dark. But again most of us were poisoned; and likely seeing things.”

She commented about the past being just that and he nodded. That was more than truthful and his thinking as well. He wasn’t going to dwell on it if he didn’t have to. Mostly because it was extremely unpleasant. If he could remember that he had a better life before the camp maybe it would help him. But he again couldn’t remember anything at all. And honestly didn’t feel a need to.

Blythe was silent for a good long time, swishing her right foot in the sand. Likely her way of just trying to kill time while she thought. Or allowed him to do so. "You know your secret is safe with me, Your story shall not be shared with anyone." He nodded his head and looked out to the sea. He was glad he could trust her.

“As is your gift. I won’t tell a soul.” He wasn’t sure how well known her gift was, but he wasn’t going to go around spreading the word that this woman had an extraordinary gift. He didn’t want her to become any more well known then she wanted to be. IF she wanted people to know she would tell them; his mouth would remain closed on the subject.

"Now what do you say we try to enjoy the day and not dwell on such dark things? After all, the sun is shining, the water is lovely, as is the sand beneath our feet. It is simply too nice out to pass up, and, correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression you don't want to talk about your past anymore anyway. Which is fine, it doesn't all need to be let out and into the open right now anyway. We both have more than enough time to get to know each other, to speak of it if you so chose, It's not as though I'm going anywhere. Although you might. Although the Island is lovely all year around, there aren't many adventures to be had. Mura is rather peaceful, as are the majority of its people. The fact that we're on an Island keeps us out of a lot of worldly affairs, although it fails to cut us off completely. Although your heart may long for the peace of this city now, it may grow tired and one day long for something more. Such a thing is only normal. Most of us leave here too, at one time or another. But my adventure has been had for now. My heart is satisfied, and I am pretty sure I will simply rest here for a time. Relax before I venture back out and into the world." He pondered on what she said and then combined it with what Eisi had told him not too long ago.

These women lived very long lives; so unlike other races he believed that they were just a little more patent than other races. That they didn’t mind waiting to get what they wanted. He wondered just how much of the world Blythe had seen. He hadn’t seen much and well he really hadn’t thought about seeing it all before now. She commented about how time just seemed to slip away. He agreed with her entirely. He had seen so much of his life just disappear completely from his memory. He wasn’t even really sure of his own age. He wondered if Blythe had grown tired of this place. If she was hinting that she wanted to escape to the outside world. It would be an interesting question to ask but at the same time likely inappropriate.

“For now Blythe; I like it here. I will gain my strength and hone my skills. Then maybe I will see about leaving this place. But it is likely that I will not. At least not for some time.”
He spoke honestly as he stood and then helped her up.

“But I am sure you came here for other reasons then to visit with me. Perhaps to look for something or just simply enjoy yourself? How is Keyta? I know you have been looking after her for a little while now.”
He said changing the subject as to bring her closer to conversation.

OOCYeah kinda feeling the same way. If I was farther in my thread with Eisi I may take you somewhere but as of now I don’t have any of that info. So I’m with you. Let’s Wrap this up.
Serrif Von Chatlyn

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Spear + Fish (Blythe)

Postby Blythe on March 10th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Blythe simply smiled as she got to her feet. "One is always looking to enjoy themselves. For joy is a far more pleasurable experience than pain or sorrow. Isn't it?" Blythe asked as she looked around the beach. It was unnaturally quiet today. There seemed to be no one else around. The occasional sea gull. The crashing of the waves. But nothing else. It was as though the world were still.

Blythe tucked a loose strand of blonde hair behind her ear. "Just came for a walk, and perhaps a swim. My belongings are farther up the beach, suppose I could get them on the way back. I don't think I'll be able to find Keyta's pack in a reasonable amount of time, even with your help. She said it was in a bush, but there are simply so many on the Island, one hardly knows where to look. Perhaps I should mention that to her, and when she's fully healed we can come back together to retrieve it," Blythe commented, before adding, "but do keep an eye open, would you?"

"Otherwise, the girl is doing fine, even without her things. She seems to be on the mend, and recovering in the way we expected her to," Blythe commented as she turned on her heels and began to walk up the beach. "Perhaps we shall meet again," Blythe called over her shoulder as she continued walking. "Rather soon..."

OOCSheesh, I might as well be the Muran fortune cookie.
Not taking on threads until further notice.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Words: 487329
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Spear + Fish (Blythe)

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on March 10th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Serrif smiled hearing that Keyta was recovering well. Or at the least like they expected her to. That meant that girl would be ready to walk about sometime sooner than he had originally expected. That was good. He nodded and let Blythe go. He wanted to spend the rest of his day doing whatever he though he needed to. His run in with Blythe had taught him several things. He had to be careful of those baring Gnosis marks. He didn’t know what they meant but he did know any marked with the lotus flower could be harmed by his past. The truth was he just wanted to be another person in the crowd. And the fact that his past was so horrific mad that difficult. Especially when the women of this isle were gifted with Gnosis right at birth…

“I will see you as well.” He said as she left. Soon after he walked down to the beach and grabbed his spear. He figured he should and likely could go about the isle and look for Keyta’s things. She had flown from somewhere near here and well that meant that her things had to be generally close by. He could always go looking for them…If he felt the need to. That day was young though. And he felt the need to do something. Perhaps he would find something to occupy his time, perhaps not. But he would always remember this run-in with Blythe. Now she knew more of him than any. And it was a large step for him to take to trust anyone that much. It didn’t make him uneasy. Just worried.
OOCYeah I’m calling this one done, I’m going to submit it now.
Serrif Von Chatlyn

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Spear + Fish (Blythe)

Postby Alice on April 3rd, 2011, 11:56 am

Serrif Von Chatlyn

Experience: 2 Swimming, 2 Storytelling, 1 Philosophy
Lores: Avalis (basic), The Konti (basic), Comforting Someone, The Konti Mentality, Trusting Someone

Blythe

Experience: 2 Swimming, 2 Acting, 1 Philosophy
Lores: Being Ashamed of Nudity, Serrif’s Past, Realizing the Beauty of the Moment

Comments

Nice thread. I really liked how you played out discovering and talking about Serrif’s past. The trauma from slavery was written very well, I think. I didn’t find too much to award, so I hope you don’t mind that it’s kind of slim. Also, getting visions from the gnosis is not the same as fortune telling, so you don’t get xp for it.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Previous