The Spider's Kiss (Semaj)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Cassandra Coven on March 4th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Timestamp: 1st of Spring, 511 AV

Cassandra spent the rest of the winter in a sullen mood, her conscience nagging at her for the murder of the homeless beggar. She struggled to rationalize her reasons for the despicable crime by constantly telling herself that it had been a necessary act, on that depended on her very survival. She knew this to be true yet she was still overwhelmed by her guilt. This bled off into her performance at work and she ended up earning less tips than she would have liked. But, ever generous, Mama and Papa, her employers, still paid her wage in full that morning.

In fact, Mama, seeming to sense that there was something bothering her, had encouraged Cassandra and the other barmaids to take the day off to spend their hard-earned money shopping for clothes and other trinkets. The Silver Sliver wasn't due to open until late that afternoon after all, and the girls had plenty of time to enjoy themselves in the streets of Ravok. Cassandra was forced to tag along with the others, though she separated herself from them at the first opportunity, giving the excuse that she would like to look into housing first, since she could now afford a place of her own, and would rejoin them later.

In truth, the dark-haired woman wanted to get away from them - from everything. It was her first time to be alone for a long while now and she wanted to take advantage of it to clear her head and her heart of all the negativity - all the guilt! - she had been carrying the past tenday. Rather than find a secluded place in the lake city, which she actually thought was impossible since the seemingly empty alleys where one could find solitude were not really empty at all and had many unseen eyes and ears, she sought to remove herself from the hustle and bustle of Ravok and found herself taking a ravosala to the trading post and walking away into the wilderness. She went far enough as to not be disturbed by the patrols that roamed the perimeter of the city, yet near enough that she would have no problem returning should she run into trouble.

Finally away from the ceaseless activities of Ravok's populace, Cassandra was at last able to devote herself to her inner turmoil. She walked into the woods, hardly taking in her surroundings, so preoccupied was she with her thoughts. She was recalling once again the killing of the old man, how her knife sheared easily into his flesh, how his blood flowed, staining everything crimson. How the light faded from his startled eyes - innocent eyes! - staring back at her. She imagined now that there were no accusation, no hate, no blame in his gaze, just the question why she would do such a thing to him, and she felt much, much worse.

I am a monster, she thought forlornly.

Murderer. Killer. Life-taker. A monster, plain and simple. Tears of shame and guilt fell from Cassandra's dark eyes. She felt herself to be irredeemable. Her cursed mark made it so. In the subsequent days after killing the man, she had made sure to cause pain - all through accidents, of course - to others so that she would never have the need to do such a thing again. So that she would not have to go through such excruciating pain that would force her to kill ever again. But would she be able to maintain such acts? The need to cause pain was permanently etched into her being, there was no escaping it.

Forever a murderer, forever hurting people.

Perhaps she should just kill herself, so no one else would suffer. It was the one solution, was it not? So no one else would get hurt. Except for her, in the last few moments of her life. Would she be redeemed then?

There, a pool. It seemed deep enough. Perhaps she could just drown herself. Nobody would know. Nobody would even discover her, for who would pay attention to a small pool such as this when the great body of water that was Lake Ravok was all everyone needed? Yes, this should be the perfect place for her, alone in her death, never to be discovered. She would be able to die with her guilt.

Cassandra approached the pool, tossing a pebble into its waters. The clear water rippled for a few moments before it settled into placidity once more. It did indeed seem deep.

"Priskil give me strength for this," she prayed. She almost laughed at the irony of it, praying to the goddess of hope to end her life because she found no more hope for herself.

Almost.

Not bothering to take off her sandals or even her clothes, Cassandra stepped into the pool. The water was cool but not uncomfortably so.

This would only take moments...

Wading forward, Cassandra felt her lower lip tremble, a sign of fear. But she steeled herself. She needed to get to the middle of the pool, that would be where it was deepest. There would be no escape there for she never learned how to swim. The deepest body of water she had even dipped herself into was a full bathtub.

Onward, move onward.

The water was up to mid-thigh level when she heard the rustling of leaves behind her. Whirling around, Cassandra scanned the trees.

"Who...who's there?" she called out.

Would it be someone who would stop her from doing what she had planned?
there is something
i have to say to you
if you promise you'll understand
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Words: 205763
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2010, 8:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Semaj Yelkeew on March 5th, 2011, 9:43 am

The rustling leaves was from a heavily armored Isur, with a massive axe in hand. He was staring at the pool, and the woman in it, as if pondering what she were doing in the middle of a pool, fully clothed. "Just a traveler heading for Ravok," he replied to her question as he sat on a rather large rock next to the pool. He moved around as if to get himself comfortable, but one would think that immposible dressed in armor. Leaning slightly on his axe, he stared at the woman.

"So, what's a young woman such as yourself doing out here, away from any of the patrols one would think a city such as Ravok would put out? You can't be traveling, because it wouldn't be safe. There's bandits all over the place, and none of the city guards patrol the roads between citys." As he spoke, the Isur slid his pack off and pulled out a loaf of bread, which he bit into when he was done. He hadn't eaten all day.

Suicide? But why? She's young. Hrmm...By human standards, maybe in her 20's... And those eyes. So full of pain. But why?
Last edited by Semaj Yelkeew on March 12th, 2011, 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Semaj Yelkeew
Warrior/Bard

Words: 4569
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2010, 1:36 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Cassandra Coven on March 5th, 2011, 11:18 am

ImageThe eyes that stared back at the Isur were the saddest and most haunted he would ever see on a human being. Cassandra held his gaze with that soulful expression of hers for a long moment before they drifted down to the water around her.

"I-I was just going to take a sw...a swim..."

Lips trembling, she stuttered over her words. It was a lie and both of them knew it, for why would a woman out for a swim do so with her clothes on? It made no sense and only would if she were in a rush to reach for something - or someone - in the water, or if she had no need of her clothes any more once she had stepped into the pool. There was no one else in the pool, and she certainly was in no rush to reach any floating item in it, so the latter must be true. It was obvious that she wanted to drown herself.

Cassandra must have realized how foolish she sounded for her voice trailed away into silence. Abruptly, she reached up to cover her face with her gloved hands, but not before Semaj caught the feigned blandness in her expression crumble as tears flooded from her eyes. Head bowed, she wept, and for long minutes only the sound of her sobs could be heard between them. But at last, the dark-haired woman let out a long, ragged breath before looking back up to meet the Isur's gaze.

"Did the Goddess send you to stop me then?" she asked, though Semaj would be hard-pressed to guess which goddess she was referring to, or even if she was talking directly to him for her question sounded rhetorical. She seemed to be expecting a reply however, for her red-rimmed eyes never left his.

Regardless of his answer, Cassandra waded back to shore, dripping wet and suddenly shivering, the greater half of her skirt clinging on slender legs.

"I'm...I'm just a troubled soul looking for answers," she said in response to his earlier question. Looking back behind her, she added in a sad, quiet tone, "I only found this pool."

Her voice invited consolation, her words, understanding.
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Semaj Yelkeew on March 5th, 2011, 8:59 pm

The Isur stared back at the human, his own eyes hard to read behind his helmet.

"Going for a swim, hrmm? Fully dressed? Most people don't swim fully clothed unless they have too."

The Isur reached back to straighten his Pipa, just as the woman covered her face and began to cry. He said nothing, just stared at her, until she was done, and staring at him again.

"No, your Goddess didn't send me. Like I said, I'm a traveler, heading for Ravok. If you and I were meant to meet, then Izurdin must be talking with your Goddess. Or Lhex is screwing with us."

As he spoke, the Isurian picked his bread up again, and bit into it, before offering some to the woman. He didn't particularly enjoy the company of non-Isur, but if Izuridn meant for him to meet this woman, he was going to be polite to her, which meant he was going to share food with her, if need be. When she stepped out of the pool, dripping wet and shivering, the Isur sighed and slid his pack off his back, along with his pipa, setting the instrument on the ground with great care. Opening his pack, he pulled out a long, fur-lined cloak and tossed it to the woman.

"Lost soul, hrmm? Wouldn't praying to your Goddess help with answers?" questioned the Isur as he slid off the boulder he was on, and knelt, gathering sticks and dried grass and leaves into a pile, before surrounding them with small rocks. Reaching into his pack once more, the Isur pulled out a tinderbox, with a piece of flint attached to it. Bending over the circle of rocks, sticks, grass, and leaves, the Isur spent a few minutes leaning over it.

When he leaned back, he had a fire going, and was feeding it, to make it large enough to help dry off the woman.
Last edited by Semaj Yelkeew on March 12th, 2011, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semaj Yelkeew
Warrior/Bard

Character sheet

Postby Cassandra Coven on March 6th, 2011, 1:28 am

From his gruff words, Cassandra thought him to be a hard man, uncaring and honestly unconcerned with her - not that she was expecting anything from him. But a closer look past the steel encasing his body revealed to her that he was not truly a man, not human at least. His short stature and muscular build, coupled with the strength to wear such heavy armor as if it were regular clothing, hinted him to be of another race. Isur, if she recalled correctly, associating him to that race of short and surly people whom she had on occasion served drinks to back in Syliras. They were much rarer in these parts, however.

The half-hearted offer of his bread, as well as his rather crude way of handing her his cloak, made the dark-haired woman realize that he was trying to be polite in his own rough and gruff way, perhaps as much as his true nature would allow him. Different cultures and peoples behaved differently after all, and even treated those of other races differently than they would their own, as well. Just observing his body language revealed he bore no ill will or malice towards her, not even a slight irritation. Cassandra almost smiled despite her depression.

"Thank you," she said graciously, accepting his offer for food and tearing a small portion off the loaf. She was not really hungry but she could not in good conscience turn down the polite gesture. His thick cloak she draped over her shoulders before taking a seat on another boulder, nibbling on her bread as she watched him set up a small fire to help dry herself. His selfless actions only proved to her what she had initially suspected, that he was a noble creature. One who would surely be taken advantage of if he continued on his way to Ravok, especially if he ran into the authorities. It would perhaps be slavery for him, or worse, the Pit, if the Ebonstryfe took an interest. Cassandra did not think she could stomach resigning such a kind soul to a fate like that.

She had to give him some kind of warning, to let him know what he was getting himself into.

"Are you...are you going to Ravok on business?" she asked innocently, wondering what he was. The lute suggested bard while the enormous axe revealed him to be a warrior as well. His race and abilities would make him a fine catch for anyone in the slave trade. "I don't know if you've heard anything about the city, but it can be a...difficult place for visitors. "

Cassandra did not add "such as you" for fear of sounding like a bigot but she hoped her tone would elicit the man to ask what she meant.

"You speak of gods' names with ease, but I do not think they can hear us from here. This is Rhysol's domain," she concluded glumly.

Then, shaking her head as if to clear her thoughts, her dark wavy hair cascading down her shoulders, Cassandra moved nearer the fire and offered a delicate hand. She did not know how Isur greeted each other but she hoped the handshake was a universal gesture.

"Thank you again for your kindness. I am Cassandra."
Last edited by Cassandra Coven on March 8th, 2011, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Semaj Yelkeew on March 7th, 2011, 8:00 pm

The Isur grunted at her thanks, as he took the bread back and bit into it again, staring at the fire in front of him. This human, frail things as they were, seemed even smaller then most, as she sat and shivered, warming herself with the heat and cloak. When she questioned him about Ravok, he shrugged.

"I'm going to Ravok to ply my trade," he replied, patting his pipa lightly. A rough hand could damage the delicate instrument. "I'm a bard," he stated, watching her. Her comment didn't bother him, but the implied such as you made him smile, even as he listened to her speak of Rhysol. "This may be his domain, but I walk in the light of Izurdin, confident in my faith that my God shall protect his faithful," replied the Isur, his eyes hardening slightly at his words. Rhysol scared him, true, but no more then Izurdin inspired him.

He watched her shake her head, and tilted his own, watching her. When she stepped closer, the Isur pulled a gauntlent from his right hand, and shook the offered one, gently. Frail things, humans, he thought to himself. "My name is Semaj Yelkeew, of the Coglias Clan of the Isurian People," he replied. "It is a pleasure to meet you."
Last edited by Semaj Yelkeew on March 12th, 2011, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semaj Yelkeew
Warrior/Bard

Character sheet

Postby Cassandra Coven on March 8th, 2011, 2:03 am

"Semaj," Cassandra echoed. The name rolled of her tongue in a strange way, foreign and alien, and she repeated it several more times under her breath until she got the pronunciation right.

"Well, Sir Semaj, I meant no offense by my asking your cause to come here, nor did I question your courage," Cassandra insisted as she resumed her seat. The Isur looked more warrior than bard to her and she did not want to insult his fighter's pride with her words. Who knew the temperament of these strange races anyway? Better to clear the air between them now than inadvertently cause some grave infraction that offended Isurian sensibilities.

She cleared her throat at the awkward silence that ensued, idly adjusting the fit of the cloak around her shoulder and huddling closer to the small campfire to get more warmth. Looking up, her eyes fell on the musical instrument the Isur seemed to treat so reverently.

"If you will, could you play me a song? Something to lift the spirit of the weary, perhaps?" she asked him, a smile of melancholy touching her face. "I would gladly pay to hear your music and be your first audience in this city."
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Semaj Yelkeew on March 8th, 2011, 3:07 am

The Isur nodded as he listened to her say his name, then appear to repeat it several times. Strange folk, these humans, he thought to himself as he watched her.

"No offense was taken. As for my courage, it would take more than one human to question it," he replied with a small grin. He wasn't offended, but rather, slightly amused. She seemed to not know much about his people.

When her eyes fell to his pipa, the Isurian smiled even more. "Ah. Well, perhaps I can play one song on the pipa. How about something I heard while I was traveling to Ravok?" he stated, as he pulled his other gauntlet, and his helmet off, before lifting the pipa in both hands and standing it up properly. With his pipa in hand, the Isur opened his mouth and began to sing.

OOC :
Go with the first song on that list.
Semaj Yelkeew
Warrior/Bard

Character sheet

Postby Cassandra Coven on March 8th, 2011, 8:37 am

Cassandra sat in silence until Semaj had spoken the last words of the song, strummed the last notes on his lute. A single tear fell from her eyes, a sign of how moving the song had been for her. Sniffling, she looked away for a moment as she wiped clean the lone droplet and the trail it left from her cheek, before turning back and giving the Isur a warm, appreciative smile.

"That was beautiful," she said sincerely. "Thank you for letting me hear it."

Standing up, Cassandra paused as if trying to make up her mind on something, before continuing, "I...I'm a barmaid in one of the local taverns, the Silver Sliver. I think you can earn so much more if you played there. If... if you'd like, I could put in a good word for you to my employers. I think you're very talented, they're sure to say yes!"

She gazed at him, hands clasped together as if holding in her excitement, a smile on her lips and her once sad eyes now bright with hope that Semaj would agree. She appeared to have truly enjoyed his performance.

A moment later, unable to contain herself any longer, Cassandra blurted out, "Can I hug you?"

Even she herself was surprised by her own words, her eyes widening and her cheeks reddening. It was an expression that was soon replaced by a nervous laugh.

"I hope you don't think of the rest of my kind as weird for my behavior. Not every human would randomly ask as stranger for hugs. Just giddy and emotional women like me, I guess."

Her smile at him then was a little twisted from her embarrassment.
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Semaj Yelkeew on March 8th, 2011, 2:15 pm

With a small smile, Semaj lowered his pipa to the ground, and brushed dirt from it gently. "You're quite welcome. I don't remember where I heard it, but it stuck with me on my travels. You seemed like you needed it," he replied as he bit off another piece of bread and chewed on it.

When she asked for a hug, the Isur blinked and stared at her. "A hug?" he questioned, staring at her. With a small shruge, the Isur stood slowly, leaning his pipa against the boulder he had been sitting on. Then he stepped around the fire, and opened his arms slowly. "I don't question the actions of you humans. And no man would ever question the actions of a woman. It can be painful," he replied.
Last edited by Semaj Yelkeew on March 12th, 2011, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semaj Yelkeew
Warrior/Bard

Character sheet

Next