Solo To Be Human

So long a ghost, so new to being alive.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

To Be Human

Postby Alice Weaver on November 2nd, 2021, 12:03 am

5th of Autumn, 521

It has been a few days since the massive Watchtowers flared with the red of Autumn. The lit stones now heralded a season of dark storms, strong winds, booming plasma, and aching bones.

All things that a Ghost has not experienced in a long time. Alice, of all things, was looking forward to the turbulent and chilly weather. While most people found the cold annoying and biting wind troublesome to deal with, the ghost of a woman had no such qualms with poor weather. If anything, the weather was comfortable for the dead woman. The chilled air and drizzles of rain made her feel more solid than she had in years. Her thin and wispy soul-stuff that normally made up her body seemed to churn thick and heavy in the autumn weather. Like a pond freezing over in the winter months, the cooling temperatures were calming her turbulent soulmist into more of a dough.

The changes brought on by the weather to her form were all contemplated within the bowels of a living building, Infinity. She drifted by a window on the second story, cloistered within a bare bedroom listening to the hum of the floorboards as the home busied itself doing whatever caught its fancy. The only thing of note in the bedroom besides the red-haired ghost herself was a simple bed resting in the center of the room.

Resting within the bed under a mountain of blankets was a man who one could have thought to be dead with how still he was. His chest barely rose and fell as the time passed, possibly one or two breaths a bell, maybe four if the body was feeling particularly active that day.

She drifted away from the thick, grey cloud cover outside the window with a sigh and laid over the top of the bed, letting an arm hang down and brush across the finger-length curls of the soulless body. Only to quickly snatch back the hand as tendrils of frost from coming into close contact with a ghost began to spread down the hair.

“It doesn’t feel real, does it? A goddess gave me a soulless body to use as my own. One I can feel like I’m alive in!” She righted herself as she tucked her bare feet underneath herself and sat with crisscrossed legs hovering a foot above the bed. “Not being in a dress is an odd feeling.” Alice distracted herself with the new form her soulmist had taken. Now instead of the large and elegant black dress, she was accustomed to, it now was in the form of hunter's clothes with a linen top with a cut v neck, laced with soft leather. Her slender legs were cloaked in more hunter-mimicking soulmist, shaped to resemble light brown soft leather pants that would be resistant to snagging on undergrowth as if the ethereal being had to worry about that. Her feet remained bare, shoes were annoying to form, and going barefoot was fun when you didn’t have to worry about stepping on a rusty nail.

Alice grimaced at the lone memory of stepping on a stray spindle needle in her dark family home. The damn thing went all the way through her foot and stung like a thousand wasps.

“Oh...speaking of clothes...it's naked.” The spirit stated the obvious and she could almost feel the house sigh as she discovered that fact. “Well, today's project. Clothes and walk around Lhavit like a real person for a few bells. Hopefully, it doesn’t rain.”

The Ghost lightly touched down on the floor next to the bed, dusted herself off, and went about humming while looking for something that she could carry to hold her few coins in as thunder boomed faintly across the mountain range.

WC: 629
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Words: 184933
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2020, 11:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

To Be Human

Postby Alice Weaver on November 2nd, 2021, 12:05 am

After a few ticks of searching, Alice was ghosting down the stairwell towards the main entrance of Infinity. A small leather bag held within her translucent body, clinking faintly with the sound of a few coins.

As she trailed down the stairs running a hand along the banister, leaving a trail of frost, she entered into the vast, open space that lacked any internal walls but curved into an open wooden hexagon with extravagant crown moldings and lit glass sconces.

Alice wasn’t the only one in the entryway of Infinity and in a puff of soulmist a small girl with a frilly midnight dress with brown eyes and curly hair materialized. Alice’s eyes quickly skipped over the weeping sores and sunken eyes that showed how tragically the girl died of sickness.
“Alice!” The young ghost, despite being dead, had an awful amount of energy, “Where are you going? Is that money? What does a ghost need with money? Are you going shopping?” The girl let out a torrent of bubbly words.

“Emma!” Alice quickly greeted back and moved over with a large grin to ruffle the girl’s hair, their soulmist touching and sticking as Alice uses the opportunity to slick Emma’s hair into a wild frizz. The act caused the girl to give Alice a face pout as she pushed the hair back down.

“Hey! That’s not nice, you know.” Emma grumbled.

“I know I know. I just can’t help myself.” Alice apologized, “And if you must know I have recently come into need of clothes so I thought I should go do a little shopping. I don’t have much for the money anyways.” She said with a half-smile, gesturing at her ethereal body.

“That sounds like it will be fun. I wish I could come along but I promised I’d tell Raj a story.”

“Next time, don’t worry about it.”

“Next time!” The girl nodded in agreement and in a puff she was gone.

Alice gave a shake of her head before moving towards the front door that swung open for her.

“Thank you, Infinity. I’ll be back in a bell or two. If anyone comes looking for me, tell them I’ve gone to the Azure Market. Ta ta!”

The house gave a feeling of ascent as it watched the pale ghost move across its yard into the city, careful to avoid each and every flower that was planted.

WC:404
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

To Be Human

Postby Alice Weaver on November 2nd, 2021, 12:06 am

Lhavit has to be one of the most beautiful places Alice has ever stepped foot on. With its curving architecture, dry molded building, and sparkling skyglass constructs, it was no wonder people want to live on these mountain peaks. The only downside so far was the cold wind that howled between the buildings, whipped into a frenzy by the man-made structures. She only knew it was blowing hard because the bag of currency that sat suspended within her soulmist was threatening to blow away.

She doubled down on wrapping the bag within her mists, determined to not let it go, as she forged on towards the Azure Market. A location that was, thankfully, not too far away.

Once she entered the Surya Plaza it was a matter of a few chimes to track down the side entrance to the painted blue walls, floor, and other blue structures of the Azure Market.

As its name would imply the Azure market was indeed Azure. It was almost gaudy but not. She could not quite decide if she liked the odd place or not. But then again she supposed she did not need to like the place, just like the goods they would sell to her.

<...That’s actually a good question.> Alice wondered to herself. What would the reaction be to a very dead woman coming up with a sack of coins and buying enough clothing to cover a decently sized man. Would it be a money’s money situation and they wouldn’t care? Or would it be Thief! Robber! Crazed Ghost!.

“That would be awkward.” She muttered to herself, startling a man who passed by her, missing the translucent woman as his vision was blocked by a crate full of apples. “Sorry!” She called out as the man quickly made his way into a store and shut the door behind if as if it would keep her out if she wanted in.

“Off to a great start, Alice. Really setting the world on fire right now.” Alice grumbled as she stuck to the side of the walls, thankful that due to the threatening weather the market’s small alleys were mostly empty. She spotted a few people moving shipments into shops and semi-permanent tents.

She was finding it hard to actually see where one store ended and the other began. The shades of blue were starting to muddle together and give her a slight headache as she had to look for the stairs or handles of entrance ways to get a land bearing.

Alice briefly recalled something about colors having effects on spirits, like red keeping the evil ones away, and wondered if blue had a similar effect.

<Just another question for Mads.> She thought with a shrug of her shoulders as she kept winding through the market, coming to a stop in front of an open door. She peaked inside and saw mountains of fabric pilled here and there, coats, undergarments, and pants of all make, material, and color were available...yes even blue.

It was as good as a place as any to attempt a purchase of any, and she entered with a shrug. As she stepped across the threshold of the door she reached out from her core and grabbed the edged of her wispy form. Once she had a firm hold on the edged she sent the cold-effected soulmist thickly spinning tightly around her body. The cascading waves of soul-stuff overlapping and thickening, taking on the appearance of mass and weight as Alice became more material on the land of the living. The materialization had much to desire with her edges being smudged like a careless artist working with charcoal but it served its purpose. To make her more visible.
WC: 622
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

To Be Human

Postby Alice Weaver on November 3rd, 2021, 3:59 am

Despite the store’s door being open the inside of the smaller shop had a cozy atmosphere. Alice couldn’t say anything about the warmth of the building but it looked like it should be with coats strewn on racks and other garments laid out without much care on small tables and ledges. A large window let the gloomy light of the outside in and washed everything with a cool hue of grey.

Somewhere behind the tables of cloth and accessories, she could hear humming and the clicking of knitting needles.

The sound was relaxing to the spirit as she silently paced across the rough wooden boards of the floor. Her semi-solid hands drifted across the layers of rough wool, cool, smooth silk, and satiny rabbit’s fur leaving trails of frost behind from her touch. It felt like home, immersed as she was within the bowels of a clothing shop. She could almost hear her mother humming a similar tune as her little brother skurried around trying to find the perfect material to make a cape. A cape that Alice quickly got drafted into making for him while dodging the gaze of her mother and avoiding being scolded for slacking off.

She sighed in contentment as she rounded what looked to be a stack of dressed with...pockets?? Genius! If the person here making those clothes was that innovative, this was definitely the right place to get what she needed.

As she rounded the pocket-filled dresses the clothing fell away to reveal an equally cluttered counter with bits and bobs of colored thread, scissors, needles, a bit of fabric, and most importantly, a grey-haired wrinkled woman with a hunched back and thick spectacles sat on her unproportionally large nose for her small face. Even Alice, who was dead and not all the tall in her living life, towered over this woman without meaning too.

“Welcome Spectre, what have ya need of today?” The old lady spoke with only the slightest of pauses at seeing the ghost.

“I am in need of some clothes.” Alice answered politely, “It’s for someone I care about. I can pay.” She half-lied about why she needed the clothes while producing the bag from within herself and setting it in front of the seamstress. The bag clinked pleasantly with the sound of currency shifting about.

“I don’t know where all these spirits get money from. You didn’t steal it now did ya?” The woman pause in her knitting of a woolen cap decorated with small okomo’s prancing happily.

“No. What I have I earned fair and square.” Alice pulled a pained expression, having expected something like this to happen when she went to purchase something. So she was only a tad surprised when the woman set aside the needles and gave Alice her attention.

“Good enough for me. What can I get you from the Spinning Threads?”

Not one to let an opportunity to escape she took an unnecessary breath and began.

“First things first, I want everything, unless otherwise specified, to be medium-grade cotton. The size we are working with is an athletic male. The shirt I’d like is a v-necked work shirt with a shoulder of about twenty inches in width and he stands about five foot seven, he’s mostly even so it should be easy…” The ghost continued to rattle off sizes and make and model of what she wanted. The woman dutifully jotted down a list as Alice spoke.

“Is that everything?” She asked, turning the list towards Alice

“Shirt, boots, belt, pants, gloves, undergarments…oh!” She slapped a hand against her forehead, “And if you have a woolen jacket, possibly fur-trimmed, that would be great and yes rabbit fur works. I don’t think I could afford Okomo fur.”

“Neither can I!” The woman let out a hearty laugh as she stood up to go digging for the clothes at the request of the ghost since she was incapable of doing it, at least before the sun went down. “It’s always nice to talk to someone who knows specifically what they want. You a tailor in a previous life?”

“Ah no. I was a weaver. I just made the fabric. My mom made most of the clothes herself.”

“Well if you ever want to talk about your craft come find ol’ Sui and we can talk shop. Now let me get you your clothes…”

WC: 731

Purchases :
Shirt (Wool, Medium)= 1 sm 5 cp
Boots, High (Leather)= 6 sm
Belt (Leather)= 4 sm
Pants (Wool, Medium)= 12 sm
Jacket (Wool, Medium: Fur Trimed {rabbit})= 18 sm
Gloves (Leather)= 10 sm
Undergarments (linen)= 1 sm

Total: 5 Kina , 2 topaz kina and 5 jade kina
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

To Be Human

Postby Alice Weaver on November 3rd, 2021, 4:00 am

Soon Alice found herself once again standing on the vibrant blue streets of the Azure Market now sans a few kina and having gained a stack of clothes bundled at her feet and wrapped in the fur-trimmed jacket held together with rough twine.

Sui had been nothing but helpful and Alice was grateful that she collected the clothes for her due to her condition but her help ended at the door. Now she was met with a problem.

<How do I get this home now?> She wondered to herself as the condensed soulmist that was giving her false mass melted away, leaving her whispy and ethereal once more. While the trip wasn’t that long back to Infinity she did burn a bit more than a quarter of her soulmist on the weak materialization

“My lack of hands is eternally frustrating. This is going to be such a long walk back.” The woman let out with a sigh as she bent over to the bundle of clothes and slipped the few coins she had left into the folds of clothes, feeling the gentle push back against her soulmist as even the gentle act was a tad taxing.

A final check to make sure the coins were secured within the package Alice grazed a hand across the package beckoning her soulmist to interact with the cloth. The reaction was immediate as her arm erupted into a swarm of ribbon-like streamers of milky white. Racing like snakes the soulmist invaded the clothes wrapping them in strands and ties of soul stuff and pushed up against the call of the world. For how extreme the process looked it ended up looking as if Alice was hefting a weighty bag. Her arm trembling and her shoulder slopped down as she hovered weakly pulling the package just a mere foot above the ground.

Digging her heels into the ground and gritting her teeth, an intense look of concentration lit in her storm-grey eyes as the determined ghost slowly huffed and puffed her way back towards Infinity.

The sight would have been comedic if not for the fact that the intense exertion was causing the already moist and chill air to chill even further. Fat flakes of snow formed just above her skin before splatting heavily to the wet ground below as her soulmist was stressed.

“This...was...a terrible gasp idea.”

Infinity never felt so far away when she just rounded the first corner to realize there were twenty more turns to go.

WC: 423
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

To Be Human

Postby Alice Weaver on November 5th, 2021, 2:43 am

“Oh, Sweet Gods Above I’m here!” Alice exclaimed when she snapped out of her foggy gaze of push, pull, lift, strain. Her arms shooting up, barely highlighted against the sky as the ghost expended much of their soulmist for their task. The mantra of <Don’t drop it. Don’t drop it. Don’t drop it> faded from her mind in her celebration of seeing Infinity’s cobbles and twisted trees.

Predictable, that is when she dropped it. Squelch went the softened, rich brown of the Earth.

“...” Silence reigned on the property as the ghost stared, jaw-hanging lose, at the muti-kina purchase that was now soaking in the mud. The ghost took deep, and ragged breaths, feeling her soulmist expand in and out, in and out in a calming balloon.

“This is fine. Yes, this is fine. Only the jacket is soaked we can fix this.” But her attempts to pull the bundle of clothes-free from the sticky soil was foiled by a firm suction. The earth had apparently decided that it liked being dressed and did not wish to let go.

The sound of meta-physical piano strings breaking rang out across the ground as cool whips of soulmist tried to tug and pull the package free to no avail before with a pop the clothes were free! They soared across the yard and landed with a wet splat at the base of the patio that wrapped around Infinity. The okomo-shaped door knocker almost mocked Alice as she drifted across the wet yard.

Success! The first solo shopping trip was a success! Turns out she did not need an oddly intelligent kelvic boy who was hyper willing to be possessed by a spirit he quite literally had just met.

Speaking of kelvic boys she was almost instantly met at the door by a small and wiry boy with dusty desert skin, green eyes, and ears that just were a tad too large stuck to the side of his head. He was already eyeing the tiny splots of mud that were dripping from the bundle Alice was floating just above her hand. With every drop that touched the floor, she could feel Infinity mutter in its emotion speak that ghost could distantly tap into about it being cold and gross.

“Maro.” Alice greeted the Housekeeper with a small nod of her head, extending a small smile to hopefully blunt what was to come next.

“Miss Alice, if you insist on bringing dirty things into the Manor I would appreciate it if you would stop.”

“But Maro, how else would I keep you on your toes otherwise?” She titled her head with a small disarming smile.

The smile slid off Maro’s polite exterior, “I already have Miss Maderia for that. Give me the clothes. I will scrap some of the mud off and send them up to your room in a bell or so.”

“Actually could you just...wait scrape it off?”

“Yes. I assume you have plans for today else you wouldn’t be in such a rush to buy these clothes. Thus I will attempt to remove as much as I can without a full wash and dry. Is that acceptable?”

“Yes! Thank you thank you!” She exclaimed excitedly as she rushed to give the servant a hug. One he smoothly stepped back to avoid, not wanting to get frostbitten by the ghost’s touch.

“You are welcome, Miss Alice. I will be up shortly.” But Alice did not hear the last few words as she had already blinked away into her room a floor above, humming a tune she hadn’t hummed in a while.

The day was just beginning!

WC:608
Alice Weaver
Crafting A Second Chance

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)