Character building questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Character building questions

Postby Ghede Muut on December 17th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Hey there!

I've been reading the lore quite thoroughly because I don't want to begin playing before at least being comfortable with some basic elements, and while reading, this particular idea came to me that I'd like to share with you guys.

Since I'm some sort of a neat freak :D I'd like to have a character that's consistent with its avatar, or vice versa.

I really like my current avatar, especially after photoshopping some runes onto his forehead, in an attempt to emulate the body transfer ritual's repercussions on the new host as described in the Nuit race page (although I'm not sure if these painted runes would stay on a body after the transfer is complete).

You'll notice the avatar doesn't have nostrils or mouth, and appears to be blind. Although Nuit don't need to breathe or eat, it would be difficult to explain exactly how he would verbally interact with other characters. That's when I thought about using magic... Now I've read that the use of magic in Mizahar is quite frowned upon and that massive negative consequences could come upon the user, so I'd like to ask just exactly how much is too much, and give this specific example of application.

I thought about comunicating using a form of air based Reimancy. Ghede would expel his Res, converting it into air, for the single purpose of creating air compressions and distentions around him, effectively making... sounds!

Another question about the fact the he doesn't have a mouth: would this make the body transfer ritual impossible, since it involves vomiting ichor onto another corpse? Would Nuit be able to expel ichor from other orifices (eyes, ears, pores, or self-made cuts?)

So to summarize:

1. Can I use air elemental Reimancy to talk? What level of mastery would that require? Would I be able to start with that magic knowledge or would I have to learn it during my adventures?

2. Can a Nuit perform body-transfer if one or both of the bodies doesn't have a mouth?

3. Am I over-analyzing? :p
Ghede Muut
Player

Words: 1545
Joined roleplay: December 15th, 2009, 3:03 am
Race: Nuit

Re: Character building questions

Postby Hex on December 18th, 2009, 7:17 am

1. you can start with any magic but you get points to dedicate to skills which i believe is 50, so to have multiple skills your character would need to start out with a novice to competent level of skill depending on how many skills you put into it. Novice is 0-25 and you must always put a min of 5 points in a skill on start up so anywhere between 5-25. Since you start with 50 points if you were to have competent skill level, having anything over 25 will be sacrificing half your points right off the bat. Its up to you to decide what level of skill that air reimancy ability is worth. Perhaps your character says very few words and that can make up for the fact that large bouts of magic are harsh on the body so if that were the case then you could pull off saying that your character has 15 points in reimancy and just uses the skill when he needs to. There is so much you can communicate with actions and I find they're far more interesting to describe in writing than speaking.

2. This one might be harder to explain, but maybe your character cries or secretes out the ears instead of vomiting?

3. That isn't over analyzing that's being creative and inquiring about it. I hope your ideas get approved because your character is really cool!!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ghede Muut on December 18th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Indeed I plan on a dark character fueled by shady reasons that doesn't speak much. The use of magic to speak would be a really cool and congruent detail, in my opinion. I do not mind spending skill points to achieve this, since I believe skills are there to serve characters, and not the other way around.

As for the skill level, I thought novice would suffice, because of the fact that I wish to manipulate only one element, and with the basic intent of creating vibrations, not powerful winds or storms.

Thanks for the input Hex ;) I'll also be anxiously waiting official approval (or disapproval :D).
Last edited by Ghede Muut on December 30th, 2009, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghede Muut
Player

Postby Hex on December 18th, 2009, 6:42 pm

I'm excited to see what develops.

If you want official advice you could copy this post into the help desk forum and in doing so you kind of petition what you're suggesting to be part of the mizahar world. As long as you back it up with reasonable ideas they will be happy to take it on!

Good Luck!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tarot on December 18th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Hey Ghede,

I guess the question popping in my mind is: how come your character doesn't have a mouth? :p Even if he did enter a mouthless body, why didn't he leave it later? Anyway, mouths are not necessary: any *ahem* opening will do, natural or otherwise.

Regarding communication: while you could probably do that with Reimancy, I think it would require an expert or master level of finesse. It wouldn't be very taxing to do, just very difficult to get right. With your starting points you'd probably be able to do vowels... aaaa.... eeeee... and so on, but consonants are going to be really hard.

You should ask Gossamer about this, but maybe a gnosis mark from Ionu (illusions) could help you more, if the illusion extends to the voice (which I am not sure of).
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 18th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Yup Ionu's Gnosis would help a great deal. It's illusionism, and with one mark, you can effect one of the five senses at a time - aka hearing and make the illusion of speaking. That would be far less complex that what you propose.

I personally don't want to even think about a Nuit having to move Icor out the exit only, if you know what I mean, because it seems to me that crying or your other suggestions would take a dangerously long time.... :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Hex on December 18th, 2009, 9:04 pm

what about telepathy as a way of communicating with others, is that possible with any of the magics?
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ghede Muut on December 18th, 2009, 10:00 pm

@Tarot: You're absolutely right. Why doesn't he have a mouth? I don't know. Yet. One of the things I enjoy the most is creatively figuring out ways of overcoming AND justifying such major "details". A back engineering of sorts. So far I had thought about a background for Ghede that involved an emergency body transfer ritual gone terribly bad, done on a body that was around. This one, with no mouth. Why? I hadn't figured that out yet :P but something would come up to me. Due to that traumatic body transfer, Ghede would have lost memory of his previous lives, and his new purpose was to find out more about his own past. Or pasts. Actually would this also be possible? That a Nuit loses his memory on a particularly bad transfer?

@Gossamer: Yes, it was indeed somewhat of a complex idea, but in my mind it sounded really cool and creative. If making sounds does require Reimancy mastery though, I think the purpose is somewhat defeated :( Also, I wasn't thinking about transfering ichor through a body's exit hole :D I was imagining something more like cutting of an arm and letting it drop, or self-inflicting a major flesh wound on the chest. But I guess the question would still remain: how would a body with no mouth receive the ichor. Hmm...

For now, I'll check into Ionu's Gnosis.

Thanks for the replies.
Last edited by Ghede Muut on December 30th, 2009, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghede Muut
Player

Postby Ghede Muut on December 19th, 2009, 4:29 am

Oops! I've noticed that although Ionu is described, the discipline of Illusion isn't. I hope it gets online soon :D
Last edited by Ghede Muut on December 19th, 2009, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghede Muut
Player

Postby Gossamer on December 19th, 2009, 8:16 am

Its on the agenda for Sunday. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Next