Walking in Circles (Julian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Aselia Timandre on May 22nd, 2011, 11:53 am

Timestamp: 78th of Spring, 511 AV

Theme Song

“Contribute to the collection?” Aselia echoed the librarian. She was standing on front of the counter, frozen in mid-motion. Why, that was something she had never heard before.

The librarian nodded and explained patiently: “Yes. In order to be granted access to the library, you must first contribute something to it. It can be as simple as a manual written on a single scroll. Really, make it as elaborate as you want. Then you will be allowed to browse our books as much as you want.”

Aselia licked her lips. She had nothing to contribute. Not yet, anyway. Although she had never considered herself the studious kind, that was the domain of her sister Kamalia, she enjoyed reading a good book and getting to know the world through the information on its pages. Because she intended to stay in Lhavit for a while, she wanted to use its library to get to know the local culture and history. Obviously she had to work for it, though.

“I will sit over there and think about my contribution, if that’s all right?” she asked and smiled. ‘Over there’ was a low table and a cushion for customers. The librarian agreed, and Aselia sat. Then she produced a bunch of vellum sheets, a quill and a pot of ink from her backpack, originally meant for note taking. Now she started to scribble ideas on the first sheet, looking up and watching the beautiful architecture of the library every time she was stuck.

Of course, she wanted to write something about falconry. It was the subject that appealed to her the most, but the more she thought about it, which bird she should describe and what training methods, the more she realized that writing about falconry was more difficult than it sounded. There surely had to be thousands of falconry manuals in every library of Mizahar... Additionally, it was a trade that was best learned through practice and experience. Words could only support the learning process.

Sighing, Aselia ran a hand through her hair and looked at the quill in her fingers as if the answer was trapped inside its form. It reminded her of something, and she grinned. Back in Mura, her mother and grandmother had forced her to study Konti culture and learn about her Timandre heritage. And then it hit her. Why not write about Mura?

Aselia started scribbling and forgot her surroundings, caught in a flow of ideas.
"To see a world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wildflower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour."
Aselia Timandre
Player

Words: 89486
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 9:11 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Julian on May 25th, 2011, 3:38 am

The glimmering Bharani Library was no less than a breathtaking structure, but that could be said of most of Lhavit without any exaggeration at all. Julian had thought and re-thought of the word "breathtaking" and its tired synonyms over and again so many times that their meanings had become lifeless and dull. By now, he had even grown so used to the city, that very little of it surprised him anymore. It had all become one pleasant experience. He was going to be sorry to leave it, but he was more concerned that the rest of the world would be inevitably disappointing compared to the creative use of skyglass throughout the mountian city.

Julian had been lingering outside the library perhaps a bit longer than he should have. Dressed in his violet silk vest and a deep green undershirt, the musician had staunchly refused to conform to local dress customs. Thanks to his mixed heritage, enough people had mistaken him for a native of the city. He might have taken that for a compliment, but in Syliras, he used to value looking just a bit different. Fitting in around here had somehow become mildly alarming.

In the light of a lampost, the raven-haired cellist flipped through a leatherbound tome with yellowed pages. His gray-blue eyes had glanced upward at the passing Konti woman as she approached the library's doors. Lifting his head as he leaned against the lampost, Julian blatantly eavesdropped on the exchange. He wore an amused smile when woman was told the same thing Julian had been just a few days before. With the number of tourists in Lhavit, the librarians must have had to turn away dozens of visitors every night.

As a musician traveling the world (a decidedly cavalier label Julian sometimes privately described himself as) it would be tragic to travel to new places without at least learning some of the local songs and melodies. The best place to find any collection of those, as much as he could gather, was here at the library. And after being turned away, he had finally returned with his contribution in hand. Julian was persistent - and so too appeared to be the Konti woman who had busied herself writing something of her own.

Julian hadn't actually considered writing anything down himself. What could he possibly have to teach? He supposed he did know a few odd things about haircare, but... No, he wouldn't go there. The book in his hand would be enough, or so he had decided days before. And yet now that he was here at the library, he found himself oddly attached to it. It was a dilemma for certain, but compared to his more recent problems, he was comforted to be dealing with only small problems.

"It's a silly rule," Julian voiced out loud, his eyes still back in the book. The Konti woman, however, was the only one within earshot. It was safe to assume he was talking to her. "Unfortunately, I generally don't travel with a stock of expendable literature for situations like these." Julian turned crinkled yellow page, but looked over at the woman instead of down into his leatherbound book. "Suppose I could write down a sorry list of cute, ice-breaking jokes as my contribution, but I think it'd be balled up and thrown back in my face." He added a sly smile and quirked an eyebrow.

OOCSince moderation is required for getting into the library, I reworked the circumstances a little. I'll let Kelpie know about the thread in case either character tries to get inside. Also: sorry it took so long! You caught me at the beginning of a work week. D:
Julian
Cellist

Words: 189595
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2011, 12:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Aselia Timandre on May 25th, 2011, 10:19 am

The sound of footsteps wasn’t enough for Aselia to look up. However, the voice speaking up was. She turned and faced a human man, just a few years younger than herself, she supposed. His soft features and the poise he carried himself with appealed to her, but his words betrayed his seriousness. She blinked, adjusting to the lack of social niceties in his speech, and then noticed the book in his hands. If he decided to jump right into conversation, she could just do the same. And she even found it comfortable. Being a Timandre in Mura had meant privileges, but also duties and expectations. They were a respected part of Muran society, or at least she had been told they were, so they had to behave accordingly. Friendliness and grace had been her constant companion, her burden and her cage.

Aselia smiled as she realized once more that she was about to crawl out of old habits like a snake shedding its skin. A slim finger pointed towards the book. The webbing in between shimmered as well as the opalescent scales on the back of her hand. She was dressed in white. “Then what is this about?” she asked as curiosity tinged her voice.

“I thought it to be interesting”, she commented regarding the contribution rule. “Surely it has added greatly to the reputation and stock of this library. Finding such a large collection of knowledge is rare.” As if to confirm her words, she took in the architecture with violet eyes. To think that every part of such grandeur stored knowledge of the world! She couldn’t even begin to imagine. Perhaps she would understand greater things if she was older... much older. For her race, she had only barely outgrown her teenage years.

Focusing on the human again, she watched him offering the book as a contribution. While he did so, she stored the quill, ink and vellum away and wandered over to him. “I am Aselia Timandre. In case you were not planning to do some research here, I’d appreciate some small talk. Are you new to Lhavit?” Quite demanding the Konti was, but she patiently waited for the human to make his decision, hands resting in trouser pockets. Of course, she wouldn’t force him. But if he tried to wriggle himself out of the offer with excuses, she’d know as well.
Aselia Timandre
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Julian on May 25th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Julian looked down at the book in his hand, raising his eyebrows as if noticing it for the first time. Clapping the book shut, he turned it over to look at the cover. There was no evident title written on the face of the leather binding, but near the bottom, the name of the author had been heat-stamped into the material: MEREDITH. Flashing a casual smile, Julian only shrugged. He shoved one hand to a pocket and let his other arm, holding his book, fall to his side.

"Sentimental value," Julian answered cryptically. After a moment of consideration, he decided it was rude to dodge her question by remaining vague. "It's the personal log of a tragic man from Syliras. About a decade and a half ago, a brilliant husband and father finally lost his mind after dealing with years of growing insanity. He destroyed his family and then ended his own life, but the thoughts he recorded in this journal tell a very different side of the tale. It's a fascinating read, and after getting a look into his own mind, it's difficult to not want to sympathize with him." The musician put on an embarrassed smile. "I acquired it some years ago, and I thought to offer it as my contribution. Suddenly though I can't seem to make myself part with it."

It was interesting to Julian that this woman was so polite and articulately spoken. He had half expected her to retort with a quip of her own, but instead she was absolutely cordial. He was a little disappointed that his terrible jokes didn't elicit a laugh, but he was content enough with the smile he hoped had been evoked by his self-perceived charming wit. It was not discouraging, it simply meant that she was of a more poised and practiced breed. Actually, it reminded him a bit of Haeli, a misplaced hermit girl he had met weeks before.

"I don't disagree with the rule," Julian frowned, glancing at the library doors and squeezing his book. He simply couldn't give it up. Not quite yet. "It's just an inconvenience for me. I completely understand why such a regulation would be in place, and honestly it makes perfect sense. I think later I'll write down some sheet music of some of my favorite songs as a proffering instead. Seems more fitting for a place of knowledge anyway."

In fact, Julian didn't offer the Meredith journal into the library. One day, he would get rid of it. It was such a gruesome thing to hold onto. His possessions were few, however, and he'd had this journal for so long that the idea of not being able to come back and look up a passage that suddenly came to mind was a distressing one.

Looking more than a little chagrined, Julian smiled awkwardly turned to Aselia. He greeted her with a brief, polite bow as per Lhavitian custom. He didn't consider himself Lhavitian, but after seeing these greetings happen so often at the Shooting Star, he had grown fond of the local gesture. "It's my pleasure to meet you, Aselia. I'm Julian. I had hoped to lift from Lhavitian music from the archives here, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen tonight whether I planned for it or not. I'll have to come back later." As Julian's smile faded, a revealed look of annoyance crossed his face as he glanced one last time at the library before even that faded as well.

"I'm relatively new," Julian answered, finally breaking his sight away from the magnificent building and immediately putting it out of his mind. In all honesty, he wasn't over-fond of small talk. He thought about saying so, with some sort of joke as a prelude to a compliment about enjoying an actual conversation with her. Given her last reaction to his humor, however, he decided not to risk her taking it the wrong way. She was difficult to read, thus far. That was fine. He liked a challenge. "I only recently arrived in this city earlier this Spring. Hopefully I'll be moving on by the end of next week. It's a beautiful place, but I'm possessed by some childish desire to see the world. I hear delightful things about Alvadas and Denval, and I'd like to make my way to some of the more notorious cities around Mizahar."

Julian glanced toward the glittering stairs. He would be eager to get moving again and out of the glowering sight of the librarian. It wasn't glowering, of course, but he couldn't help but assume that the library's steward had a secret, seething distaste for the uncultured louts who came up to the library, expecting to be let in without a contribution. "What about you? I don't see a lot of Konti around Lhavit. A few, but not enough in my opinion." He finished the remark with a half-smile to furnish its lack of seriousness.
Julian
Cellist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Aselia Timandre on May 26th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Something told Aselia that it was more than fascination that kept the human from giving the book out of his hands. Probably she was getting used to reading people due to her gnosis gift. Probably she simply spent more time observing others abroad than at home. Either way, she didn’t comment, as it was obvious that he didn’t want to talk about it.

Julian. She returned the bow, still somewhat awkward but confident with practice, and smiled. Meeting new people, listening to their speech pattern and getting to know their habits always delighted her, even more so because she hadn’t found time for it in a long while. Work less and socialize more, she reminded herself.

As he continued talking, she shouldered her backpack, the light weight of paper and ink in it. Her gaze lingered at the stairs leading out of the library when his did, but she let him finish first. Spring? So she had actually been in town longer than him. Perhaps she should give him a tour... if only she knew more about Lhavit, landmarks and local customs. Cosmos Center, Surya Plaza and some hearsay about the Shinya was all she recalled. However, sightseeing was a point she needed to cross off her list soon. Somehow Aselia felt the need to explore every city she stayed in on a more in-depth level. Somehow she ended up comparing its culture to her beloved Konti Isle...

When Julian asked a question, she smiled. Hadn’t he mentioned Alvadas? “It seems I’m here longer than you, although just a little. I arrived with a trade caravan last season. We came from the city of illusions, actually. It’s a strange, yet fascinating city... The streets and buildings always change. One day you exit the inn and walk on grass, the other day you wade through water. It can be quite frustrating for some... but I liked it. Nothing is as it seems. In Alvadas it’s a paradox.” Small talk? Well, that was something more already.

Taking one hand out of the pocket, she gestured towards the exit. “Shall we leave? A library doesn’t seem to welcome some casual talk.” Stepping down the first few stairs, she turned around and checked if her new companion followed. Pleasure was glowing on her face and in her eyes like skyglass, the pleasure of having someone to talk with. Lhavitians often were consumed by politeness or just busy during the night. Like Aselia. And most of them slept through the day while she tried to sneak in some leisure time.

Once outside, she enjoyed the midnight blue adorned with stars over their heads and the fresh breeze coming from the Misty Peaks. There was no particular direction she chose, hoping that Julian would lead the way. “You said you write sheet music? Are you a musician then?” Together with the excitement of the meeting, the night called to her - suddenly she felt like singing. A low hum escaped her lips, the start of a lullaby in the dark, although she wasn’t sure if creating music there and then made sense... if it was the right time and the right place.

Was she feeling intimidated? Aselia blinked and twirled a strand of white hair around her webbed finger. Now that was something to think about: intimidation caused by a human.
Aselia Timandre
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Julian on May 27th, 2011, 10:24 pm

"That sounds… confusing." Julian had meant to say "fascinating," or "interesting," or something even more mundane. But as he voiced his way through the remark and thought about a more fitting descriptor, that was the only word that really made sense. Syliras had been mostly stone and brick, but to be surrounded by magic in an ever-changing city… he imagined something like that would be interesting for all of two days at most. Then after that, the rest would feel like a disturbing, chaotic waking dream.

Julian watched Aselia begin her descent down the stairs, hesitating a moment to study her. He wasn't wearing his usual cordial smile. He simply didn't have the energy for it. This past year had been a trying one, but it almost didn't compare at all to all that had happened in just the past month and a half. He had quickly grown tired of polite facades. Perhaps he would recover given another week or two, but he was tired of bouncing back, too. As Julian clasped the book tighter in his hand and proceeded after her, he decided not to worry about it. It would be refreshing to project a more honest image of himself.

As he caught up with her, the Konti asked if he were a musician. "I like to tote myself as one. I play cello at the Shooting Star most nights. It's a relief to get paid doing something that I enjoy." He snorted lightly. "I don't really write my own music. I've made attempts at it in the past, but I'm hardly a virtuoso." Aselia's pace had slowed enough to show her uncertainty in where she wanted to go. He took that as a cue to lead their little walk, pressing down the main road toward that circled back down to the lower platforms and led to the bridge to back to Zintia. Julian was not very familiar with Tenten Peak, and didn't know what else existed here aside from the prominent library. Surya Plaza was a place of familiarity and security for Julian, so he often gravitated there.

"Not to switch the topic, but didn't you want to get into the Library?" Julian asked the woman, slipping a hand in his pocket and glancing at her sideways. "I'm not complaining, of course. I certainly enjoy the company. If you really aren't busy with more important things, perhaps we could talk over a glass of wine at the Shooting Star. It's a bit of a walk from here, but we can enjoy the scenery on the way."
Julian
Cellist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Aselia Timandre on May 29th, 2011, 9:42 am

Aselia laughed at his comment. It certainly was confusing, but that was the specialty of the place. Since he’d said he wanted to visit it, he’d have to deal with it. Aselia had merely given him a quick overview, and it was his choice whether he’d change his opinion based on that or not. However, she hoped he still took the opportunity when he got it and made his own experience with the city of illusions. People and tastes were different, after all.

She followed when he took the main road towards the bridge leading back to Zintia Peak. Pleasure covered the expression of mild surprise when she noticed where he was heading. Zintia Peak, especially Surya Plaza, was also the area she knew best. However, she’d have to ask a resident to show her around... soon. Another choice would be Elhaym, but the girl seemed to be fairly occupied with her new profession as Shinya. As her attention turned back to Julian, he was just responding to her question. “Cello”, she repeated and the image of a large wooden instrument with strings and a bow emerged from her memory. She had never seen someone play it. “I understand.” Suddenly she felt closer to him. Getting paid for something she loved... but why wasn’t she happy then?

Then she smiled. “Most things come with practice. Perhaps you didn’t try hard enough.” The smile turned into a grin, she was teasing him a little. “But then, I don’t know much about music. I enjoy singing every now and then. Perhaps I can sing to your cello one day?” The suggestion was an honest one. With Elhaym training and most of her relatives in Mura, she longed for some company. Animals were nice, but they didn’t talk back.

When he mentioned the library once again, she lightly shook her head and pushed a strand of white hair out of her eyes. “Why, yes, but a manual on Konti culture doesn’t write itself in half a bell. I’ll take my time. Tanroa is generous with her gift, after all.” She returned his gaze and nodded. “Sounds like a good idea. Also, I’m kind of curious about your cello. I’ve never seen such an instrument before, although I’ve heard of it. Doesn’t it sound a bit like a violin?” Curiosity got the better of her, but then she didn’t really know why their conversation went back to music.

One thing was for sure: Julian intrigued Aselia, like most strangers did, but she could also relate to him, and that was new.
Aselia Timandre
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Julian on May 29th, 2011, 11:54 am

As the pair continued along the road amongst the thin spattering of Lhavitians and other tourist, Tenten not being quite so crowded as Zintia, Julian glanced casually around himself at the various glowing and glittering architecture. He would miss Lhavit, once he left, and the way it mirrored the twilight. He would have to re-adjust his night and day schedules too, and the unpleasant ordeal that was fated to be. Hand still in his pocket, his other arm swayed stiffly at his side, book in hand as the musician listened to Aselia and simultaneously sent his telepathic farewell to the city he had resided in for most of Spring. As she teased his musical aptitude, he brought his gaze back to her and flashed a slightly offended half-smile.

"I love singing," Julian answered, raising one eyebrow in intrigue. It didn't surprise him to learn that about the Konti. He didn't know a great deal about their race, but he was fairly sure that their outward appearances and innate talents were a very testament to their culture: beautiful, intriguing, artistic, and alluring. What little he knew about the Konti and other races was attributed to the mild diversity of Syliras. For all the dislike he had for his native home, he was grateful for what it taught him. "I'm not very good at it, myself, though I was told once that I have the voice for it, if I was ever formally trained. In my later teenage years I used to sit outside a private concert hall, just to hear musicians practicing. It was a special treat when they played with singers." He looked at Aselia again, adding a smile. "It would be a pleasure to hear you sing with my cello."

Julian had shared a little more than he meant to. Music was a passion that few others ever shared in. For him, music was purity, the true art of expression free from the ambiguity of life's conflicts. Expression of an emotion, or even a complex mixture of emotions, is never a lie, and music never complicated anything. Just for a moment, he had gotten a little carried away in the fact that someone might be privy to the same truths that usually only he understood.

He absorbed her remark on writing her manual. It sounded like a dreary task. He didn't blame her for procrastinating to spend an evening mingling with a friendly stranger. "In the same way a flute sounds like a piccolo, I guess," Julian replied, disgruntled. Drawing the comparison between a violin and cello was one of the first things most people did. Granted, many people had never heard of a cello, and why would they have? Violins were much easier to play and travel with. Julian personally felt that cellos had a bit more class and soul than the common violin, but he was also very admittedly biased. "The instrument is much larger, and it has a much deeper, richer sound. Perhaps I can play something for you, once we arrive at the Shooting Star, but probably not right away. It is what I do for a living, after all. Playing often feels like work, and I'd much rather drink and relax tonight."

Once they approached the bridge to Zintia peak, Julian suddenly paused. This was one very unfortunate thing he had learned from living in Lhavit - he was terrified of heights. These bridges mortified him. All he could think about was the swirling blackness from below rising up to swallow everything, or the bridge itself simply collapsing and sending Julian plunging to a very violent and painful death. The musician drew a chagrined breath, giving an awkward smile at Aselia.

"This is embarrassing," Julian opened. "I'm just a little nervous about heights. I know, it's silly, but it gets me every time." No, this was beyond embarrassing. Now he was going to have to play his cello for her, to win back the points he was losing with her in this moment.

Fortunately, he had a trick for this. He had begun using it every time he found himself having to cross the Lhavit bridges. Hypnotism was ordinarily used to beguile others, but it worked well enough on himself when he wanted it to. And he had to want it to if it was going to work. Looking down, he drew his hand from his pocket and rubbed two fingers on the bridge of his nose right where it met his forehead - a mildly soothing sensation. Closing his eyes briefly, he repeated a silent mantra in his head, drawing upon his Djed to help convince himself of his own lie. There is nothing to fear. Nothing to fear. Nothing to fear.

After a moment of this, he lifted his head and nodded confidently at Aselia as he proceeded onto the bridge. Hopefully, his brief, private Hypnosis session had looked more like a personal moment to build his own courage or clear his head. Maybe that's all Hypnotism truly was. Or he would think so if it didn't make his eyes bleed when he pushed himself.

Reaching the other side, Julian was surrounded and comforted by the familiar streets of the Zinta peak, and from here he could already hear the bustling crowds from the Plaza. "I am incredibly humiliated that you had to see that," Julian said suddenly, pausing to watch Aselia "It's my only weakness, I swear it." He ended that provocative statement with a self-derogatory sneer, then led the way toward the Shooting Star.

OOC: On Truth SensitivityIt hardly needs to be said, but that is SO not his only weakness. :P I'm sure Aselia knows that even without her ability, but I thought I'd throw it in just to avoid any ambiguity. <3
Julian
Cellist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Aselia Timandre on June 5th, 2011, 10:20 am

Aselia nodded. Apparently they had a lot in common, despite the differences in their cultures and appearances. She was starting to like the quiet human with the cello. “I was never trained either. My family thought there were more important things. I sing for myself.” And she seemed happy to do so, picking up the low humming. One of her neighbors in Mura had taught her the song, a lullaby for Konti children. There were lyrics as well, but she couldn’t remember them.

Then he replied to her question, a little annoyed by her comparison. Oh, of course she didn’t understand the subtleties of different instruments. She was no musician, after all, just a freestyle singer, so to say. Although he seemed to be unhappy with how she perceived his cello, Aselia couldn’t help but chuckle a bit. To her, it was all the same. At that moment she was focused on the conversation and if she had managed to get a funny reaction out of him, she’d enjoy it. Conversely, she also listened to the following explanation with interest. Then she nodded. “Sure. I certainly won’t press you to do something you don’t want... Probably I should visit you during work to hear you playing.” She rather liked that idea and made a mental note. With nothing else to do in her free time, she could as well visit the inn for musical entertainment. It probably helped with the project for the library.

When they approached the bridge, a radiant smile bloomed on Aselia’s features. That was the best thing about Lhavit! Forgetting Julian for a moment, she continued until she had reached the middle of the bridge. There she remained for a while, hands on the balustrade and face turned towards the fresh breeze that toyed with her hair. Looking up and down, she saw total darkness. It was kind of eerie, but at the same time she felt powerful. Caught in between sky and ground, it was where the raptors flied. It was where true freedom existed.

Then she noticed that she was alone and turned back to her companion. What? He hadn’t even set foot on the bridge yet. Taking a few steps into his direction, she tried a welcoming gesture. “Are you? But nothing will happen, it’s safe.” Her encouragement didn’t seem to help, however, when he closed his eyes. Aselia abandoned the gesture and waited. Oh, she wouldn’t blame him for being afraid. Everyone was afraid of something. But she didn’t really understand that.

Eventually he came over and they covered the rest of the bridge together. When they were standing on firm ground again, Julian suddenly stopped and provided some kind of explanation. At least that was how it sounded to Aselia. And when he gave a sneer, she couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “It’s okay. I mean... Everyone has weaknesses, right? It’s not that I don’t like you less for it or something.” Oh. There she had said it. Trying to hide her surprise, she quickly followed him towards Surya Plaza. The bustle and humming of the crowd could already be heard. Aselia almost felt sorry that the solitude they had walked in until then would disappear.

Then she said something and her voice was almost too low to be heard. “You know, at least you overcame your fear. That was very courageous. Some people don’t even try.” Her voice carried something else, a deeper meaning, a secret perhaps. But then, Aselia did have fits of empathy every now and then. Being a Konti meant a lot of things, after all.
Aselia Timandre
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Julian on June 10th, 2011, 10:01 am

Oh, he caught it. She liked him, did she? For passing acquaintances, that seemed like a rather quick thing to say, which did a bit to rob the statement of ambiguity. Flattered, he smiled and looked down in a mixture of chagrin and pleasure. Anxiously fondling his ponytail, he turned and glanced back at the bridge, which elicited a shudder to move through him. "It wasn't that courageous. It's just a bridge. Dozens of people cross it everyday but... I don't know, I never encountered heights like that back in Syliras. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it were in the day time, but when I can't see the bottom... Eugh." Laughing away his embarrassment, he began leading Aselia through the Zintia Peak toward the Plaza. "I keep thinking a strong wind will lift me up and throw me over. Every time I cross, I have to consciously tell myself that I have nothing to fear."

What he didn't mention was that it was the added hypnosis that made that self help mechanism so effective. Of course, she didn't need to know that. This was only small talk. Julian shook the thoughts out of his head and changed track. Better not to focus on his illicit magic study and his silly phobia. "Anyway, you should come to hear my cello. I work mostly in the early evenings at the beginning of my day. If you ever have time, I'm always open to learning new music."

Entering the bustling Plaza, Julian fixed his eyes on the small pavilion that heralded the Shooting Star's entrance in the central square. "What do you, Aselia? I imagine your talents must be a great deal more useful to society than mine."
Julian
Cellist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Next